Reviews for the Rhody Pub

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jmck
Lamar Odom

Reviews for the Rhody Pub

Unread post by jmck »

For the first time in years, I will be able to get to the game early against Iona. I am thinking of going to the Rhody Pub. Any comments?
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Re: Reviews for the Rhody Pub

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Bring your patience...
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

No kidding.. It bloooooowwwssssssss

Do yourself a favor.. Go to the mews instead and bring in a pocket pub

The whole idea is suppose to be to unwind and have a beer

Instead, all you get is agita

Don't forget to take your ticket

What a joke quite honestly
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Mews upstairs. Nice!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

LOL....
For all the fun I've made of the place...I'm glad it's there. Nice to be able to have a cold one during sporting events. And the folks that work there...they really couldn't be any nicer.

Having said that -
It's too small and things move very slowly. Depending on when you get there, the previous poster's "have patience" quote might be like Noah saying, "y'know...kinda looks like it might rain." Everyone gets carded and a wristband. I think I heard someone say there was a capacity of 100. Along the side facing the court, there's room for maybe a dozen people to stand where they can see the court. You can't take your drink out of the pub, and there is (currently) no TV in the place...although I've heard they may be installing one. There's a small pay station and 'bar cart' next to it. Beers are priced at $7.50, aka, the "we should bring nips incentive." Everything is in a can (that you can't have), and they pour it into a cup for you...maybe to keep the line from moving too quickly, I'm not sure.

There is no real attraction to it, other than you can stand there (because there are no chairs) and have a drink, but unless you're early and camp out at the rail, you can't see the game from there. Oh, and it looks like a giant, undecorated cubicle....at the very least, it could use some Rhody action posters.

All in all...glad it's there, but I'd like to see John Taffer (sp?) get his hands on the place...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

speaking of Bar Rescue...the "stress test" was the Providence game...and just like they always do on the show...they failed spectacularly...
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

It is such s joke..

I'm glad it's there also but I am not in a rush to go back

Such incompetence
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:It is such s joke..

I'm glad it's there also but I am not in a rush to go back

Such incompetence
In fairness...I think the people that man the place, are doing what they can.
They've just put in miserable circumstances....
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

They can work w more of a pep in their step

Instead they are dreadfully slow
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

The solution is so obvious..

All they need to do is get rid of the dumb ppl who are currently making decisions for the current setup and replace them w smart ppl

The whole idea was suppose to create an unwinding positive experience

Instead.. It has no character, and is boring and you hafta work to get a beer

No thank you
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:LOL....
Everything is in a can (that you can't have), and they pour it into a cup for you...maybe to keep the line from moving too quickly, I'm not sure.
This sounds like the holdover when they banned kegs at frats. You could still have beer, but you had to pour it into a cup. So the pledges sat watch over 150 cases of beer and had to open each can and pour it into a cup. Ridiculous.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

It was a baby misstep in the right direction. It follows the baby step of bringing alcohol back to a controlled campus setting. A misstep in that it is poorly done; slow supply does not meet demand, waste of time trying to get in during 1/2 time. The deciders should turn it over to bar pros. The space needs to be expanded. Better than no pub? Yes. I do not agree that cups be allowed in the seats. As is, a way, way, better atmosphere, for me, than in the Aumni Lounge, Not exactly a news flash there. One thought is to have it open on both ends on nites where some other group does not have a private event.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

section(105) wrote:It was a baby misstep in the right direction. It follows the baby step of bringing alcohol back to a controlled campus setting. A misstep in that it is poorly done; slow supply does not meet demand, waste of time trying to get in during 1/2 time. The deciders should turn it over to bar pros. The space needs to be expanded. Better than no pub? Yes. I do not agree that cups be allowed in the seats. As is, a way, way, better atmosphere, for me, than in the Aumni Lounge, Not exactly a news flash there. One thought is to have it open on both ends on nites where some other group does not have a private event.
It is open on both ends
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think the Rhody Pub is not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. It is definitely not perfect and especially given the offseason in between when it opened and this season, more should have been done in terms of having more than one serving station in each pub and putting some TVs up. Maybe some attempt at decorating the space with....something. But, having said that, the opportunity to have a beer and watch the teams warm up before the game is certainly worth the five minutes you spend in line, IMO.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Here's what needs to be done

1) get rid of the carpet, create a real permanent pub feel w wood; etc as if you are in a real bar

2) do a 180 on the service

3) I even revamp the dead space in front of the scoreboard and extend the bridge closer to the court and make that all open pub space where ppl can stay and watch the game from there

#3 is a stretch but absolutely can be done w the right vision and willingness to spend

At minimal, #1 and #2 should be done.. Even add a lot of memorabilia of Rhody hoops

It has to be a go-to place. And not just a lame place behind a lame curtain

No wizard is behind that curtain

The money would pour in along w the beer if done right
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

It's a big step forward for the program. Allows us out of towners a spot to meet people an hour before the game and mingle. I'm sure during the game and halftime it's packed but I've only been an hour before to game time. I'm sure it will improve and rules will be reduced one slow step at a time which is good. Is the bar open on both sides for all games now or just the PC game?
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Yes baby steps. I will not complain about the rhody pub because alcohol wasn't even allowed in that place 2 years ago! So I am happy we are going towards the right direction. I heard it was extremely difficult to get that pub approved. I am just happy they are trying. I would like to eventually bring my drink to my seat one day though...
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

CT Rhody wrote:It's a big step forward for the program. Allows us out of towners a spot to meet people an hour before the game and mingle. I'm sure during the game and halftime it's packed but I've only been an hour before to game time. I'm sure it will improve and rules will be reduced one slow step at a time which is good. Is the bar open on both sides for all games now or just the PC game?

It was open on both sides for all the home games that I went to.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Yeah, I get it..

But still no excuse for the amateur hour on how it's run
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

So I take you had a particularly bad customer service experience there?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Lots of small things that could make a diff at the pubicle...

-a poster of the schedule
-posters of any kind
-a Christmas tree decked out Rhody
-have the room theme-decorated by different school groups from week to week, with a Salvation Army style bucket for donations to that group

It's like they've tried to make it as sterile (and slow) as possible...give people a can and if they want a cup, give 'em one, and, move along...NEXT!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I wonder what kind of revenue they generate from the two pubs, I have to think it isn't substantial after cost but something is better then nothing. When you can bring the beer back to your seat is when you'll see substantial revenue increase for beer sales.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:I wonder what kind of revenue they generate from the two pubs, I have to think it isn't substantial after cost but something is better then nothing. When you can bring the beer back to your seat is when you'll see substantial revenue increase for beer sales.
If they could allow it I'm sure they would. Everything at URI is a struggle. There is red tape hanging from the ceiling.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Just waiting for URI Admin to allow brining beer back to seat as long as wrist band stays on person enjoying the beverage.

TVs are due for the Iona game.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Just waiting for URI Admin to allow brining beer back to seat as long as wrist band stays on person enjoying the beverage.

TVs are due for the Iona game.
ATP - Is that really being worked out and what kind of timeline are we looking at for that to be approved?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

No timeline. As with everything alcohol related at this institution, things move VERY slowly.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Guessing there will be no problems with lines or any of that stuff on Saturday
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

I want to agree with whoever said the service is slow by design, but TV's would be a nice touch! I dont have any real complaints about the pub, I am just blown away that this was approved and is actually happening at URI...... Anyone having a problem about getting ONE beer, Do as I do, order TWO!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Good point. You can get two at a time.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Don't forget to get your ticket, hold it for 5 seconds, then give it back to the person right next to the person who originally gave it to you..

And you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around.. That's what it's all about !

I swear you can't make this stuff up..
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:Don't forget to get your ticket, hold it for 5 seconds, then give it back to the person right next to the person who originally gave it to you..

And you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around.. That's what it's all about !

I swear you can't make this stuff up..
LOL! I agree, that is totally ridic....
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

The only solution is to go all in and turn it into a sports bar; one that is a "go to" place with great sight lines of the court.. Not some make shift place to get a beer behind a shower curtain w no ambiance or Rhody pride in it.. I also extend to the graveyard in front of the scoreboard.. Spend the $50-100k and you will turn it into a special go to place before a game.. You will make you money back and improve the facility...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yep, would love to see something like that happening, it is in the Think Big We Do concept. Of course, I suppose there is the amount of down time for the RC that somewhere would be a factor....love the idea ....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ElmCityRhody wrote:The only solution is to go all in and turn it into a sports bar; one that is a "go to" place with great sight lines of the court.. Not some make shift place to get a beer behind a shower curtain w no ambiance or Rhody pride in it.. I also extend to the graveyard in front of the scoreboard.. Spend the $50-100k and you will turn it into a special go to place before a game.. You will make you money back and improve the facility...
It wouldn't surprise me if that's eventually in the cards. I've always thought of the "Rhody Pub" as a bit of a trial idea for a few years, to eventually be replaced by either alcohol service throughout the building or a more proper restaurant and pub operation.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well...they did it...TV's in the giant cubicle. Huzzah!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Nice game to watch.....looked like plenty of room....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:Nice game to watch.....looked like plenty of room....

There was....not to nitpick (well, yeah, I will), but...there is a limited area where fans can stand to see the court. So, where do they put the TV's?...right in the same area. Put the TV's on the sides, high enough for everyone to see them and get some banners and oversized schedules in that place...please. :)
0 x