Four article by Bill Reynolds, Providence Journal

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Four

Unread post by ramster »

From the artical this really hit me about the season so far. It is true that if anyone besides Fournhits a 3, I am pleasantly surprised.
We must get improved 3 point shooting in a game that today depends so heavily on this particular shot.

For McGlynn is a shooter, no insignificant thing on a team that's lost E.C. Mathews for the year. In a game that's more and more centered around the 3-pointer, McGlynn is the only Ram who surprises you when he misses an open one. In short, he's a weapon.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Thanks for posting.

I wonder when he hits an errant shot when playing golf, does he yell "Me!!".
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
jasonmiller88
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jasonmiller88 »

Nice article.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I could happily get used to hearing FOUR FOR THREE.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Four article by Bill Reynolds, Providence Journal

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Would love for him to get another opportunity like he did against Valpo at the end. I've got a lot of confidence that the outcome would be different.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Would love to see Terrell and Garrett out there grinding with him.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:Would love to see Terrell and Garrett out there grinding with him.
Apparently, Hurley would love to see that as well.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:Would love to see Terrell and Garrett out there grinding with him.
Both are in serious relationships now. Priorities change.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote: We must get improved 3 point shooting in a game that today depends so heavily on this particular shot.
It's not just 3 point shooting but having a consistent offense. Teams that only focus on defense and aren't able to score will only go so far. Look at Virginia last year. Great team but got bounced from the tournament very early because they didn't have a consistent offense and relied on their defense to win games.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote: We must get improved 3 point shooting in a game that today depends so heavily on this particular shot.
It's not just 3 point shooting but having a consistent offense. Teams that only focus on defense and aren't able to score will only go so far. Look at Virginia last year. Great team but got bounced from the tournament very early because they didn't have a consistent offense and relied on their defense to win games.
You know what they say, "Offense wins championships..."
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

OK, here's the question: How many other college basketball players can you name that have played for three Division I teams?

For what it's worth:
*Jarrelle Reischel, Biggie Minnis, Tyler Harris, Billy Baron....and that's just off the top of my head.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good ole Bill Reynolds isn't paid to do research like that... he's there to deliver these types of human interest / perspective pieces.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

sf2010 wrote:
josephski wrote:
You know what they say, "Offense wins championships..."
...and draws fans....
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Great offense is certainly more exciting to watch for most people, but to say that great-offense/bad-defense teams have a higher ceiling than great-defense/bad-offense teams is asinine. In fact, for rebuilding purposes, I would say that recruiting defensive studs is easier than recruiting offensive studs - defense tends to fly a bit further under the radar generally speaking. The elite scorers get snapped up quick. My contention would be that elite defense can get you just as far as elite defense. Obviously balance is to be desired though.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

There must be something wrong with me. I love watching great defense.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:There must be something wrong with me. I love watching great defense.
Well...they always say the first step is to admit you have a problem.... :lol:
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

josephski wrote:
Virginia also lost their best player late in the season to an injury... Had him back in the tourney, but he was hurt.
And they were great offensively last year until their best player went down.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

For this is a story of something of a foregone conclusion: Four had been jinxed -- or -- a jinx to his new team, since that former Brown forecourt player, Bill Reynolds, featured #4 in his feature story entitled: "Alumni Lounge Tales." Naturally, Reynolds subconsciously has it out for Four, as he did Jimmy and Sonar. Reynolds is still known as "Shooter."
Sources at Murphy's indicate Reynolds' next target is KD of PC.
Unfortunately, Reynolds believed defense was a rumor.
0 x