Game 10: URI at Nebraska (Sunday, Dec. 13, 2 p.m., ESPN3)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Re: Game 10: URI at Nebraska (Sunday, Dec. 13, 2 p.m., ESPN3

Unread post by DanInAZ »

What is the over/under on when/if Ace posts in this thread? *ducks*
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, you guys have summed up the feelings here very well.

I held up posting because I was going to unload, but you guys did it for me.

This, in 3 very short words, does the trick.

NOT

THIS

YEAR

Pathetic. The only clutch things this team does, is grab their throat. Time and time again.

Hurley? Please. Baron did just as well, when it comes to close games against decent or better teams.

New coach, same refrain.

Good teams beat other good teams. This team beats nobody by 25. When it gets tough, they fold like a cheap tent.

Who's to think it will get any better?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Our margin of error for an at large was slim to begin with...now it's gone i'm afraid. At this moment, it looks like the only way to the tourney is to run the tables in the A10 tourney.

I feel bad for the players, because they will be playing in front of about 3,000 fans a game at home the rest of the way. Once EC went down, most of the casual fans thought the season was done, then after Valpo, PC and now this, it's confirmed for them.

We find a way to blow big games every time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Maybe it would have been nice if everyone in the program decided to
show the world that they could be a winner without EC?
Well, bottom line is, beyond the improvements off the court
to the program, which are important,
what has changed from the last 16 years ON the court?
Has the talent level really improved from some of CFL's better teams?
Maybe there won't be the roller coaster 20 win to 20 loss seasons,
and there will me more stability.
Dan certainly is more driven to succeed than CFL.
It's great that the kids are good kids and they play hard, but
in the end, only the final score of the games played is what matters.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote:I feel bad for the players, because they will be playing in front of about 3,000 fans a game at home the rest of the way.
You make them seem like the victim. They are more responsible for this than anyone. They show flashes at times which means they have the talent. They however cannot perform consistently well and seem to shrink under pressure.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think it will get better. Good 35 minute road effort, but time to replace Four with CT...
Team can still win the A10, and my family will be at every game, but Dan's not getting the full houses he wants.

Question...is EVERY play called from the bench? Seems like maybe a little more 'let them play' might help. Can't remember their last fast break bucket...thought they might have one tonight and it looked like the guy slowed down/stopped to look at the bench instead.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hey, at least there's one positive about all of this.

I won't be posting as much about the next gag job, because why stress out about it?

Looking for a nice surprise, when it comes to this outfit, is like waiting to hit Powerball.

Not going to happen.

And I don't give 3 shits about beating Iona at home. Big fucking deal.

Or ODU on the road. Means nothing.....but they will blow that one too. ODU is actually an OK team, not great, but good enough to beat us by 1 or 2....we will find a way....

That's right Rod, the bottom line. Win. Something that they aren't capable of doing.

CT should replace Four, yes. Will it matter? Not one bit. Will we win the A10? That's a ridiculous thought.

I said 11-7 conference record after EC went down. That might be their ceiling.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

RF1 wrote:
RIFan wrote:I feel bad for the players, because they will be playing in front of about 3,000 fans a game at home the rest of the way.
You make them seem like the victim. They are more responsible for this than anyone. They show flashes at times which means they have the talent. They however cannot perform consistently well and seem to shrink under pressure.
I agree with this. I'm tired of hearing about how the fans should be shamed for poor attendance. I don't shame the fans. Want fans? Show you can beat a quality opponent or two.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Absolutely an horrendous 3rd foul call on Hassan. One can say that was the game when he got his 4th with the tech and then had to sit out way too many minutes. Bentil gets away with a blatant shove and Hass gets this awful call. When he got back in the game he got the ball down low and scored 3 times in a hurry.
Four needs to step it up big time for us to have a chance to do anything big............
I know most of you posters do not want to hear any more about EC but Four is no where near the player EC is. Look at what Four did against PC and today..... EC would have been the difference maker!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry but you cannot overlook this factor and should not start trashing the coaches and the program.
As far as the last time out goes it certainly resulted in a decent last shot (under the circumstances) by Terrell.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

eli, we never make the last shot. Wide open or not...

You should know, you're a Giant fan, as am I.

This year has been one for the record books when it comes to blowing leads/games.

That's the Giants that is. URI will try to match or beat that futility before the season is over.

Don't bet against them, not good for your wallet.

At least our Giants have won 4 SB's. We will always have that, my friend.

URI will always give us more heartache I'm afraid......

Another thing, has EC ever made a last second shot to win a game? Not yet......
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The only reason I feel bad, is they still are just kids. If Dan wants more wins, he needs to coach, recruit and develop players better. Maybe I am being soft on them, as they are the ones on the court executing...or not.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: Another thing, has EC ever made a last second shot to win a game? Not yet......
I'd rather not get into this "if we had EC" thing, but presumably if we did have him he'd have been on the floor for more than the last play, so you'd hope he would effect the game in the first 39:50 of the game.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Alright Doombone, let's not have a hundred posts saying the same exact thing over and over. WE'RE DOOMBONED, WE'RE DOOMBONED, WE'RE DOOMBONED.................................... Take you meds and go to bed things will be ok in the morning DOOMBONE.

GO RHODY!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

3rd Giants fan opinion, glad to see them on this board...(still in it at 5-7...unbelievable). Would presume, given the location a substantial number of Sox fans, too.

Good Rhody road effort today for 35 minutes...I'll be surprised if Four 'steps up his game'...I think we've seen what he is.

I do think the team will continue to get better and am optimistic about A10 play and Brooklyn. Folks that have seen/followed the Red Sox and Giants should know that....past performance is not an indicator of future results...at least not forever anyway ;)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What is very disappointing/depressing, is that I and many others were hoping, no expecting, certain players on this roster to develop into clutch performers in crunch time.

So far, except for a couple of instances, they have failed big time.

Garrett and Terrell, especially, were expected to become better overall shooters, and make shots when needed. The really frustrating thing, is that many of the missed shots are wide open ones, and of course your guards are supposed to be good FT shooters.

These 2 are anything but, especially JG. Your PG has to make those crucial FT's at the end of games.

I have said this for years, but either you have "it" or you don't. That's the ability to makes plays/shots when you have to.

This team does none of that. And to make matters worse, when will they ever?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, if we had EC we might have won a couple more so far, but the problems remain, as you well know.

I'm just very concerned that maybe the overall talent level of certain players may have been overstated a bit.....the sample size is certainly big enough by now, to draw some conclusions....

The conference schedule will most likely confirm my suspicions....especially toward the end....
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

endless
1. Being or seeming to be without an end or limit; boundless

complaining
1. To express feelings of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RIFan wrote:The only reason I feel bad, is they still are just kids. If Dan wants more wins, he needs to coach, recruit and develop players better. Maybe I am being soft on them, as they are the ones on the court executing...or not.
I thought the bench players played well but for whatever reason Dan did not play them much in the second half. Thompson had a really solid game to sit that much in the second half.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think the team is still taking shape following the massive disruption to flow and game-planning caused by 'the moment that shall not be spoken of'. Seems they are getting better. Don't know what JG/JT shooting looks like statistically compared to last year (sure someone will whip it right out) but I do feel more confident when they shoot this year vs last year. If he can play enough to get in a groove, I think CT might be the best shooter on the team...and Iverson is showing more than what was expected...thinking by the end of the year, this could be a very good team still.
0 x
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

I know this probably isn't a popular opinion but I think Jarvis killed us today...and I'm not just talking about his free throws.

His stat line says otherwise - 15 pts, 4 rebs, 5 ast, 2 stl, 3 TOs.

How many times today (and over the course of this season) has he dribbled the length of the court into the lane and attempted a shot amongst the bigs that had no chance of going in? Those are basically turnovers and bad turnovers at that.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jarvis but he does it time and time again (mostly at the end of games) without ever looking to get others involved. It's like Jekyll and Hyde with him. One minute he's running the team as a solid point guard should, the next minute he's playing hero ball. He's our point guard and it's his responsibility to get everyone involved. I know everyone is bashing Four but there were countless times today Four was wide open and Jarvis didn't even see him. As is obvious, Four struggles to create his own shot but if Jarvis gets the ball to him in beneficial situations, Four becomes a much bigger factor and opens things up.

Additionally, why did we stop going through Kuran? Why don't Earl and Thompson play more minutes?

Lastly, I thought Jared played very well and within himself by not forcing things (as per usual). Aside from a few brutal turnovers, he played an efficient game.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think there is too much said about the people that pay attention to this team by everybody. You can't win games with conversation. Would a big crowd showing up for Rider add a ton of points? Obviously. Doesn't and shouldn't take that for URI to destroy a Rider.

F*** PC but this is the kind of season Cooley wins and dances. Cooley says a lot of bullshit. He also said he told Dan blah blah about some year Cooley's back was to a wall and made it in.

Figure it out. Cant say a thing about anything when your team is able to grab leads and in some games considerable leads then lose them. Thats the coaching.

I only want DH for my coach right now too. IT will take a ton more for me to jump off that train. But coaches are the difference in the areas URI is losing.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
brady1 wrote:Love Hurley but eventually he's got to take some heat for x's and o's. I think it's time for Four to play a little less fg 3-23 last 3 games and 3pts 3-18. With his at most average D, Watson and Thompson should be getting some of his minutes.

GO RHODY!
What ARE the x's and o's??? ...15 seconds of three man weave, 25 feet from the basket, is not an offensive set...
I couldn't agree more. Weave, weave, weave, then someone forces a drive. Get Martin the ball more down low, he doesn't miss with that mini baby hook! And yes, what the F happened to Earl and CT not getting more time. They played well...good things happen when they are on the floor! This is groundhog day, I swear. I really wonder why I continue to subject myself to this.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Hurley is not a good half court offensive coach period end!!! There has been no semblance of consistent half court game since he has been here.. He wants to run, but doesn't have the horses to do it.. It's his job to coach to his teams strength whatever that is.. Oh yeah defense is pretty porous this year too...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Four has been the guy but they need a shift. Shift Four to the bench. Start either Earl or Thompson. Preferably Thompson and the team's defense will be much better.

Personally I like thompson as the 6th man. Start JG,JT,KI,HM,Earl. Iverson gets bodied inside anyway. He's better off being taller than his guy. Not many times has he out savvied a big guy or gone by them.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:Hey, at least there's one positive about all of this.

I won't be posting as much about the next gag job, because why stress out about it?.
That's a big positive indeed.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look, if you have enough talent to lead for most of the game,
then you should have enough talent to finish the game.
For whatever reason, we can't finish close games.
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I really do like Dan. The players like him, there seems to be a great rapport with players and staff, he's passionate, he's done a lot for the program, his intensions are spot on, lotta good things. But when it comes down to brass tax, I just don't see the type of coaching needed on the floor that's going to help us win the big games. I think he's a good coach, but unfortunately not a great one. I get the players are the ones that need to hit the FTs, hit the shots, not make dumb turnovers down the stretch, etc. But it goes way beyond that. If you're not putting them in the best position possible by calling the right plays, running good sets, giving the right guys the minutes they should be getting, then you're jus as big of a contributor (if not more) to what we're seeing. Not to mention figuring out a way to help mentally break through to the players with the FTs, and how to have that killer instinct when it counts most. The weave, weave, weave followed by one on one ball may win you the games against the Fordhams of the world, but it sure as hell ain't good enough to win games against these better prgorams. It looks like glorified street ball at times. Not enough discipline...not pushing the right buttons. It starts from the top. Maybe because he seems to get so frazzled at times, it trickes down to the players. Whatever it is, it needs to change. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a long winter again...possibly longer.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We need to do better at the end of games, but just looking at this year you could make a strong case that today was the only game we really blew. Without EC, Valparaiso and PC are clearly better teams. The fact that in both cases we had a shot to win at the end is a credit to the team, even though the end result was bad.

People say they've adjusted their expectations after EC's loss, but I wonder how much we really have. Without him we're not nearly as good, yet there were people on here who claimed we're better now then we were last year with him. We've lost EC, Gil, and TJ from last year's team and added Iverson and Thompson. We're not as good this year as last and we as fans need to accept that and think accordingly, yet realize the future is still bright.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Look, if you have enough talent to lead for most of the game,
Free throws and getting outcoached in late game offensive sets. It goes back to the first year with X. This team is talented enough to dance without EC. That ship seems to be sailing away this year. They need to hire an older coach, egos be damned, who has been through big games and is offensively gifted.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Team played hard but choked at the end, no doubt. We should have won this game and I understand why people are frustrated. But let's be honest, we are 6-4. Last year at this point we were 7-3 and played an easier schedule. We are at worst as good as last year IMO. Maryland is better this year than Kansas was, TCU is better than Georgia Tech, PC is better this year, and Nebraska seems to be better and that game was on the road. I hope all this doom and gloom talk is knee jerk. This team is one win behind last year's team to date and will likely head into conference play with just 4 losses. I know fans want every season to be an undefeated season but be realistic. I think we are only one game behind where we should truly be at this point and that is the loss to Valpo. No excuses just being realistic.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, why are we comparing anything to last year?
It was OK, but an NIT season.
Obviously better than the prior three years, but not exactly a landmark season.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Look, if you have enough talent to lead for most of the game,
Free throws and getting outcoached in late game offensive sets. It goes back to the first year with X. This team is talented enough to dance without EC. That ship seems to be sailing away this year. They need to hire an older coach, egos be damned, who has been through big games and is offensively gifted.
Let's pump the breaks on calling for Hurley to get axed to bring in another coach.....no need to be ridiculous.
0 x
Go Rhody
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

I meant an assistant coach.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Stop with the officiating complaints. URI took 20 3-pointers. Nebraska took 8 3-pointers. You want to get to the FT line more then take the ball to the basket and work the ball inside to the low post. Jump shooting teams don't get to the free throw line.

Team over-hyped. Coach over-hyped.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:I meant an assistant coach.
Which assistant do you fire and what washed up coach do you put in their place?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Why does KI carry us for the first 1/2, on like 10 shots taken, then takes only 2 in second 1/2? Did their D take him out? Can we feed, set plays to keep the hot scorer going? The offense, or lack there of, year after year is getting us where we are; what are record says we are. As much as I thought Four was going to carry some load, he is not. For me, the only make offense happen with he pill in his hands to create for himself is KI. I am concerned that the middle of the A-10 group is here we are headed rather than the top tier....strart featuring KI in the offense, rather than running the team offense....ouch, I hate it when I start going into the coaching issues...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Screw that. Nobody on this team is good enough to "feature" the offense around. Move the ball, screen for each other, post touches, work inside-out. The best teams and best offenses are ones that are balanced.

I would get Coach Norman Dale on the bench...4 passes!
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The way I see it, the team is shooting much better this year, but maybe the defensive effort is not
as intense as last season. URRI looked great at times offensively today. whenever they start building
a lead they seem to lose concentration and thr turnovers and forced shots start to creep in. It makes
me think that they feel as if they aren't deserving to win certain games so they create mistakes to hold
them back. When that is happening the problem is a lack of confidence. They don't believe they are good
enough yet, so they aren't good enough. When a team constantly loses these close games that is usually
the reason. They are afraid to commit to winning by believing they will win and deserve to win and every
bad break ( a bad call, missed ft, a turnover) confirms their suspicions. Things can still change before this
season ends. what they need is for a couple good teams to have bad games against them. acouple good wins
could turn things around. Hey, Dayton lost at HOME to Chatanooga. And St. Joes beat Temple. Lot of games to play still. Have to hope
for good things to start happening. I am a fan, what other choice do I have?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:We need to do better at the end of games, but just looking at this year you could make a strong case that today was the only game we really blew. Without EC, Valparaiso and PC are clearly better teams. The fact that in both cases we had a shot to win at the end is a credit to the team, even though the end result was bad.

The Valpo game should have been a win if they shot any way decent from the ft line. If you shoot 13-24 from the stripe and lose by just three points, you blew the game.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I was feeling great about the game for the first 35 minutes. We looked like we had improved in a number of areas. Have no idea why four played so much more than christion. It was obvious that Chris needed to be in there more than four. We had no poise at the end. I was shocked at the lack of it. We won this kind of game last year. I know people are saying same old Rhody, but we typically close out against teams we are better than. Or at least recently we have. We may still get better. We will have to seriously tear it up in conference play to get an at large.
Depressing.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

The at large chances are slim and none. And Slim is making his way to the door as I type...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When the opponent starts dialing up the defensive pressure late in games, is when we wilt.

Poor decision making takes over. How much is that is on the players, and how much on the coaching?

Are the players prepared for it?

Obviously not.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Wow, some harsh comments here !

The fact that we lost our most consistent scorer, who was the "go thru" guy on most offensive sets is HUGE.
.....No doubt, coach has not built the depth on the roster that is needed to compete consistently. Yes, we need FG% guys in the back court, and real size up front. He came her with a small recruiting base. Our AD knew that, but there were many other characteristics in choosing a coach that Hurley has that are needed for consistent long term success.
.....Yes, a really bad break to start the season.
.....Yes, many adjustments needed by the other players. But, I can't blame them. They play hard.....Our defensive style has to tire the jump-shooters legs. Just not enough depth. For that I do blame Hurley.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This chart, courtesy of KenPom.com, shows how Rhody was statistically in position to win the game until just the last 2 minutes.

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote:Need for KI to not disappear.....
Why did he?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote:Iverson off to a great start. When he is on, nobody can stop him.
And in the second half?....he needed the ball more, no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I don't know why this is such a harsh comment. Maybe he has budgetary constraints that prevents him from getting an assistant at the level we need. We all loved the ARD hire but any type of self evaluation by DH and the staff would have shown what they needed to address. Last year, I would have made a play for Skinner to come be an assistant for a year or two. Take a look at his offenses over the years. And, really, that's just pulling a name out of the sky, There are a dozen coaches every year on the market who have an offensive eye. The constant theme for four years is that DH can recruit, DH can motivate, DH can install a defense but he lacks any offensive creativity. You need to be able to do more in end of game sets against good teams than they currently do. And that hasn't been addressed.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Three tough losses and people are now looking back on Baron as a better late game coach than Hurley? I was in the huddle for a lot of those games, and on the court for a few of them too. We won those games because we had clutch players like Marquis Jones and Jimmy Baron not because of superior coaching. I've seen enough of Dan Hurley to know I'd rather have him at the end of the game than Jim Baron.

But I also can see that without EC, we don't have a player ready to step up and take charge yet. Who is the leader on this team? Who is our go-to scorer? What is our identity on offense? I don't have answers to those questions. What I do know is the coaches, support staff, and foundations of the program are on much more solid footing. Yes these losses hurt, but we will be OK.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I don't know why this is such a harsh comment. Maybe he has budgetary constraints that prevents him from getting an assistant at the level we need. We all loved the ARD hire but any type of self evaluation by DH and the staff would have shown what they needed to address. Last year, I would have made a play for Skinner to come be an assistant for a year or two. Take a look at his offenses over the years. And, really, that's just pulling a name out of the sky, There are a dozen coaches every year on the market who have an offensive eye. The constant theme for four years is that DH can recruit, DH can motivate, DH can install a defense but he lacks any offensive creativity. You need to be able to do more in end of game sets against good teams than they currently do. And that hasn't been addressed.
Al Skinner is currently a head coach, he wouldn't have taken the assistant job, and ARD was instrumental in us landing Mike Layssard, a player that address a huge need, scoring inside. So your solution doesn't fix necessarily fix anything and hurts our recruiting.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, why are we comparing anything to last year?
It was OK, but an NIT season.
Obviously better than the prior three years, but not exactly a landmark season.
Because in this conference when you lose your best player and your best leader (TJ), it's pretty foolish to expect to be a better team IMO. Like it or not a season like last year is pretty much what we will be looking at.

The funny thing is I think if we win out the rest of the way for our non-conference schedule then we have had a better non conference slate than last year's team.
0 x