Week #3 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Week #3 - Games of Interest

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Wow PC looks very good
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC beats Arizona 69-65. Friars beat bad on the boards but they forced Arizona into 21 turnovers.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Dunn is unreal!!! Friahs for real!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Game Just over as PC beats #11 Arizona in Anaheim as Dunn scores 11 of last 13 PC points
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Refs could only keep Dunn down for so long :D
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Gotta tell you, Bentil is a better offensive player
than anyone in our front court.
He has power inside and touch outside.
Kind of a bigger Will Daniels.
Dunn just took over the Arizona game.
For any number of reason, not so much looking
forward to December 5th.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Please, with the gloating rj, its hard enough to be happy for Dunn just because he's a friah, we don't need you running over here and gloating on your little win over a powerhouse program.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Can't wait to see Valentine and Dunn go head to head Sunday night...arguably the 2 best players in the country to this point.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Refs could only keep Dunn down for so long :D
Do you think the Refs had it in for Dunn because they were playing out west against Arizona? What is your point? I watched the entire game and did not get the impression they were incorrect foul calls.

PC does not play a deep bench so,foul trouble can occur bare often when guys play 35-38 minutes per game.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:Refs could only keep Dunn down for so long :D
Do you think the Refs had it in for Dunn because they were playing out west against Arizona? What is your point? I watched the entire game and did not get the impression they were incorrect foul calls.

PC does not play a deep bench so,foul trouble can occur bare often when guys play 35-38 minutes per game.
I thought the refs called a terrible game, both ways. Dunn's second and fourth fouls, specifically those were questionable to me. His 2nd he swiped for the ball and unclear given the replay if he contacted anything, didn't look like it. His 4th on the rebound, I'm 95% positive he went up and got the ball clean and because the 'Zona player stumbled, he drew the call. 'Zona also had some tough calls go against them, although bad calls against key pieces hurt more than bad calls against relative bench fodder. If that game went to OT, PC was screwed having Dunn, Bentil, and Bullock all with 4 fouls. York and Anderson only had two for 'Zona, the only 2 guys they needed on the court.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Northeastern beats #15 Miami for first victory over a Top 25 team in 29 years.
The game winning shot:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... er-acc-caa
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big A10 won for GW over Tennessee to go to 6-0
GW plays for the championship Saturday against #24 ranked and undefeated Cincinnati at Barclays

http://espn.go.com/ncb/preview?gameId=400854298
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Turned on the TV and watched the PC game last night. I have to say it was depressing to witness PC doing so well. I don't see how we can beat them this year. They've got a lot more height and can hit their shots. Their field goal percentage was 50% against Arizona. It pains me to say that PC is probably going to win, but I'm just trying to make sure I go into the PC game with realistic expectations.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Good win for PC over a vaunted program, but that is far from a typical Arizona team...there are definitely way more than 10 other teams better than them right now. All you need to know is they had 2 transfers and a Juco in their core rotation, not normal for a blue blood. Were missing their 7 footer Tarczewski, who given his size would have been a matchup nightmare for PC. Dunn continues to dominate, he was clutch in the clutch....I hope they are ranked coming into the RC, makes the game bigger.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

What impressed me was they outplayed a top 20 team with Dunn in foul trouble most of the 2nd half. They have other pieces that I did not expect to be this good this fast. I watched the game with a bunch of my PC friends and they are already saying we don't stand a chance this year. I would love to shut them up.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

People saying URI has no chance are clueless. RC has been a house of horrors for PC, they've won 2 in a row because they were playing terrible URI teams. While last night was pro-Arizona from a crowd perspective, it'll be their first true road game, the RC will be juiced because it's PC, and it'll maybe even be kicked up a notch if PC is ranked. Guess the x-factor is what URI team shows up, still trying to find their way, but if guys perform as expected pre-season, it'll be a great game.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In Saturday action for A-10 teams:

* D2 Denison at Davidson. 2 PM.

* In a battle of unbeatens, GW faces off against Cincinnati in the championship final of the Barclays Center Classic. 2:30 PM.

* LaSalle at D3 Rowan. 3 PM. This game is the 20th anniversary of Rowan's winning the D3 national championship, a team coached by present La Salle coach Giannini.

* Wright State George Mason. 4 PM.

* Old Dominion at VCU. 4 PM.

* Manhattan at Fordham. 5 PM.

* Saint Louis vs. Louisville. 8 PM. On ESPN3. In the Brooklyn Hoops Holiday Invitational at the Barclays Center.

In OOC action:

* American at UNH. 12:00 PM

* Nebraska versus Tennessee in the Barclays Center Classic semifinal. Game underway and late in second half Nebraska has a 14 point bulge.

* 6-1 Valparaiso at Ball State. 2 PM. On ESPN3.

* Cleveland State at #2 Maryland. 7:30 PM. On BTN.

* Louisiana Monroe at Houston. 8 PM. ESPN3
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

bigappleram wrote:Good win for PC over a vaunted program, but that is far from a typical Arizona team...there are definitely way more than 10 other teams better than them right now. All you need to know is they had 2 transfers and a Juco in their core rotation, not normal for a blue blood. Were missing their 7 footer Tarczewski, who given his size would have been a matchup nightmare for PC. Dunn continues to dominate, he was clutch in the clutch....I hope they are ranked coming into the RC, makes the game bigger.
I'm honestly shocked they were ranked that high to start the season. Losing 4 starters, 3 of which are playing significant minutes in the NBA right now, is a recipe for a slow start the following year (unless you're Kentucky/Duke). Not saying they won't be good by season end, but BAR is spot on with their core last night. Throw in "Zews" not playing, and it was a very favorable matchup for PC. Good win by them, but not earth-shattering. They are clearly a tournament team this year, especially when the complimentary pieces in Bentil/Bullock produce the way they have been. I think the game being at the RC this year makes it close. Just from what I've seen thus far, I think PC edges us in a close one. Prove me wrong boys!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

PC should be ranked Monday. That would be fun.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

First results of day are in. From URI OOC opponent:

* After falling behind 15-3 in the first 10 minutes of game, American made a comeback to notch its first win of season at UNH, 68-50.

* Nebraska on the strength of balanced scoring from the starters and some nice shooting beat Tennessee, 82-71 to gain 3rd place in the Barclays Center Classic.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Valparaiso lose at Ball State, 69-66 despite Alec Peters' 28 points. Valpo was behind the entire game, but with 10 seconds left had a chance to tie, but a Carter three point attempt failed to hit. On opposite end of game similar to the one at URI.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

GW falls to Cincinnati in the Barclays Center Classic championship game, 61-56. The game was nip and tuck the entire length and with great FT shooting at end, Cincy was able to hold on for the win.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In other A-10 action:

* VCU in big win over intrastate rival, ODU, 76-67.

* Hofstra beats the Bonnies at Reilly, 89-83.

* Davidson in a 83-70 win over D2 Denison.

* La Salle routs D3 Rowan, 81-51.

* George Mason trounces Wright State, 66-39.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

A-10 RPI updated on realtimerpi.com is now #1 in the country, granted its early but hopefully we can keep this going..
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Even Cleveland State is giving Maryland a much better game than we did....this is just very troubling....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:Even Cleveland State is giving Maryland a much better game than we did....this is just very troubling....
Why? We beat Cleveland State by 30. Maryland came to play against us and is one of the most talented teams in the country. If they sleepwalk through their games against bad teams, what can we do about it? We played a different Maryland team than Rider did, and probably a different one than CSU is playing if they are hanging in.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pretty simple. It makes us look bad by comparison.

And comparative scores CAN mean something.

Let's see how we do against Rider......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Pretty simple. It makes us look bad by comparison.

And comparative scores CAN mean something.

Let's see how we do against Rider......
What would it mean? Help me out.

We will beat Rider by about as much as Maryland beat us by.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

OK, we'll see about that....

back to beating up the stiffs again......
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Just stop, 78.

rambone 78 wrote:However this "rebuild" isn't where it needs to be right now, EC or not.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Actually, I won't stop.

But, let's see what happens, and who's right in the end.....

The proof is in the pudding, or something like that.......

Every team's message board has happy, happy, joy, joy guys, and others who are a little more realistic.

Count myself among the latter.......

And since I'm not getting personal or insulting anybody specifically, I'm entitled to my opinion on here, and will continue to express same.....

Agree with it or not, that's life.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I have to support rambone in the spirit of the open mind and free inquiry.

In late action Saturday night, Louisville pulled ahead in the second half to defeat Saint Louis, 77-57, in the Brooklyn Hoops Classic at Barclays Center.

The A-10 went 5-3 on the day.

In Sunday action in the A-10 besides Rider's visit to Ryan Center to play URI, the highlight game is #24 Xavier versus Dayton in the Advocare Invitational championship game in Orlando. BE versus the A-10. 4:30 PM. On ESPN 2.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Harvard is at Holy Cross. 1 PM.

Brown at #25 SMU. 3 PM. On ESPN3.

#3 Michigan State vs. PC in the Wooden Legacy Championship game. 10 PM. On ESPN 2.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The PC Michigan State game is most interesting as Dunn goes head to head against Valentine - the two premier Point Guards in College Basketball today. An NBA Scout's Dream match up at this point in the season.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gooooooooo Dayton Flyers
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Valentine is more of a Swiss Army knife player than a PG...Dunn will have to be at his best for PC to have a shot, MSU will be tough in the paint as always.

Rambone tossing in the towel on this year and NEXT is hardly being a realist. If there are 3 shades of the fan base optimist, realist, pessimist you swig wildly amongst those 3 from game to game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm not tossing in the towel, just think our issues are going to be too tough to overcome this season, in order to make the Dance. NIT most likely.

Next season, we'll be better with EC and the recruits of course, but still the shooting problems remain.

I do think we have a good shot at Dancing next season, but again how far we'll go depends on matchups.

I don't see us Sweet 16 material though......unless another shooter can be brought in somehow....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right, because Sweet 16 is the freakin goal after all these years. I can see it next year, we get to the Dance and win one and lose one and Rambone will pull up this post and say, "Told YA So! I never saw us as a sweet 16 team even last year! This rebuild is not where it needs to be."
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good grief.

Why don't you spend more time talking about the program instead of trashing other posters?

Oh, that's what you do, forgot about that.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rambone 78 wrote:Good grief.

Why don't you spend more time talking about the program instead of trashing other posters?

Oh, that's what you do, forgot about that.
Rambone you seriously need to relax with your constant debbie downer posts, we get it already, we stink, we'll stink next year, we have no scoring, we're awful at free throws, the sky is falling, Danny Hurley cant coach, the toilets dont flush well in the RC, parking stinks, our fans are awful,etc ...
All you're doing is pissing people off at this point, give it a rest.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

88, just trying to provide a balance.

:P

Seriously, the truth hurts......
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:Even Cleveland State is giving Maryland a much better game than we did....this is just very troubling....
Cleveland State ended up losing by 17. Hopefully that is less troubling.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

One step back from the ledge Adam. One small step.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They were down by 4 at halftime, and still single digits midway thru the 2nd half....

Whatever makes your point, which wasn't a good one.

I'm not stupid.

ATP, I'm going to ignore you from now on...do the same for me please and thank you.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:They were down by 4 at halftime, and still single digits midway thru the 2nd half....

Whatever makes your point, which wasn't a good one.

I'm not stupid.

ATP, I'm going to ignore you from now on...do the same for me please and thank you.
Oh so now we are measuring teams based on halftime scores. Ok got it.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Rambone, take a break. Why go out of your way to be negative? Just enjoy the season and root for the team. Stop predicting the next two post seasons... Wasted posts.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Dayton now getting blown out by rival #23 Xavier on national TV. The Flyers should probably shut the program down and return money to their 9000+ season tix holders.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Dayton is getting throttled by Xavier. Same way we got trounced by Maryland. Xavier looks like a team that will be much better than #23 this season. I feel like this year is shaping up to be a very entertaining year in college basketball.
Monmouth in my opinion is probably the surprise team of the year for me. Where is Monmouth anyway (rhetorical)? I mean, their point guard is 5ft nothing and looks like he just came out of munchkin land, but he's owning people. Incredible.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

ATPTourFan wrote:Dayton now getting blown out by rival #23 Xavier on national TV. The Flyers should probably shut the program down and return money to their 9000+ season tix holders.
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I'd take that. Team that can make the tournament and a refund....nice. ;)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we beat PC it'll be a borderline miracle. Dunn has played awful in the first half against Mich St, and they're only down 2 at half.
0 x
Go Rhody
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

On the flip side though, Valentine picked up 2 quick fouls and only played 8 minutes in the 1st half for Sparty. Bentil is playing amazing, only reason PC is in this game right now. He's going to be a handful Saturday night.
0 x