2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by adam914 »

Love it, 7am game. Might put in for my vacation day now!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That's gonna need some Bloody Mary's!!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:That's gonna need some Bloody Mary's!!!!
I've spent most of my afternoon trying to find the closest bar that opens by 7am on a Tuesday.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramsey wrote:ESPN hasn't announced anything yet; none of y'all gonna believe me anyways but you can thank me later. the valpo-uri game will be played as part of the ESPN 24 hr college bball marathon. The game will take place at 10AM.
I've heard the same thing.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Not a fan of the early game. I might not be able to go and I'll surely have to skip class. Plus, who the hell is gonna watch that?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

me and the rest of the Rhody faithful
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What day of the week is that?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
I've spent most of my afternoon trying to find the closest bar that opens by 7am on a Tuesday.
Adam
maybe try Belly Up at Solana Beach :D
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Adam
maybe try Belly Up at Solana Beach :D
Love that place!
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

I can leave right from work and be there for the opening tip.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Well, Neil doesn't have to bunk school…...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Beggars can't be choosers. We are on ESPN and I will take it. If you can't make it guess what we will be on every highlight package on sportscenter for the next 24 hours. Students will show up big time and this is exactly what programs like us have to do.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seems to have worked for other schools that have been a part of it. I think the novelty of it will be enough to get students to show up.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Drop the kids off at school and head straight for Kingston!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The 24-hour tip-off schedule was announced on August 4th of last year. It's part of a massive ESPN CBB press release, IIRC.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... -marathon/
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Definitely not surprised to hear the odd starting time. While a good OOC game for us, URI-Valpo doesn't really move the needle nationally at this stage so it surely wasn't going to get top booking in this event. Manhattan visited UMass at 11:00am last year, for comparison.

That said, very excited to be a part of the ESPN event! It can only be a good thing for publicity, even if the crowd turnout is lower than a typical home game.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Attendance had better not be "lower" than a typical home game! The Ryan Center had better be sold out.
To be featured as a piece of the Annual Hoops Marathon means that URI and Coach Hurley are being cited, just in the same way that the Jim Harrick Return was handled.
Recognition.
National exposure.
Recruiting .
Etc.,
No lame-ass student excuses.
Sell-it-out.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I'd love to see that too, bress, but good luck with that. 10:00am on a Tuesday removes a huge chunk of adults with jobs and kids in school from the pool of potential ticket buyers. Not gonna happen. And I'm generally an optimist.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm hoping professors understand and cancel classes from 9-1.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would play hooky so fast If I as still in school , then again I may just do it for work anyways!
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm hoping professors understand and cancel classes from 9-1.

I wouldn't bet on that.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I never went to class before noon anyways. Wouldn't effect me. I would have gotten up for a 10AM basketball game, though.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramsey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramsey »

The school is going to push this as hard as they can. There wont be cancellations of classes but professors will be advised of the situation and from what I've been told itll be suggested to take it easy on absentees. Some diehard professors will individually cancel class.

This game will 100% be sold out. Mark my words, the student line for this game, will be longer then the Nebraska line of last year and rival any in the history of the RC. Most likely starting sometime in the wee hours of the morning. This is what happens when you're program is moving on all cylinders, the work done behind the scenes, restructuring and added jobs to the Sales team, to the Marketing team have begun to pay dividends as already projections of season tickets sales have surpassed last season. (note. I don't work for URI or RC)

The staff has really worked hard to put forward a good product and the behind the scenes staff is now working just as hard to sell the product. They are going to be a lot of new deals available like the recent alumni(graduated within 5 yrs) offer (season tickets in the lower 300s; 5 month payment plan, only $25 down). I bought two of them. It works well for the diehard Rhody fans struggling in their mid-20's to be able to watch affordable ball while still being able to pack the place.

People in the day to day fabric of the organization, truly believe that averaging 7000 fans a game over the next two years is more then doable. Sure games like American aren't going to draw that well but they are prepping for the real possibility of 4 to 8 sellouts this year.

In regards to the valpo game, there will be a campus-wide push to get the fans out similar to big games in the past 3 years of the Hurley-era but this one is different. This one has those 5 little words involved. "The Worldwide Leader in Sports". Those 4 little letters. "ESPN".

That's all it will take to stir up a frenzy. "Mom, Dad turn on ESPN, look what your 40k is buying" Mix in a 10am start. well needless to say I am by no means encouraging violence but they better have some extra guys on the SK and URI departments that day. Those kids are going to be wasted.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Ramsey, Thanks for your interesting input and observations. I have question for you: In the fiscal year which just ended as of June 30, how many donors made contributions to URI Athletics and what was the total amount donated??
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

I wish. These professors don't care - last year I had exactly one exam at night, and it was scheduled right at tip-off. So I had to miss the Davidson game. I hope I'm wrong though.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

860_rhody wrote:
I wish. These professors don't care - last year I had exactly one exam at night, and it was scheduled right at tip-off. So I had to miss the Davidson game. I hope I'm wrong though.
An exam is probably thought of differently by the profs than a mid-semester 50 minute lecture.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

For me, when you name something you're looking for when you schedule a game this one checks off pretty much every box.

A national TV game on a weekday morning has to be looked at by the student body as a massive event and you have to think that even with classes they should come out in full force. I doubt professors will cancel classes, I seem to remember most not even doing so the afternoon of the 9/11 attacks, but classes taking place doesn't necessarily mean students being present as we all now. I think our student section made tremendous strides this past season and I think having a game like this early in the season will help to cement those gains and help the section reach the next level. I know there's a thought that it will hurt attendance from working adults and school age children, but I think this could end up being an event like Opening Day for baseball where adults think it's a great excuse for the family to play hooky and it could be a great opportunity for people who can't normally go to games because they work odd hours to attend.

It's not a rivalry, but because of 1998 fans that know the history of the program should absolutely be intrigued by this matchup. And it also gives the school the perfect opportunity to celebrate our history. If the athletic department ever plans to bring in Jim Harrick and/or retire Cat Mobley's number this will be a perfect game to do it. Hopefully the department is ready to rise to the occasion and will pull out all the stops with things like bringing as many players from that team back, having special video packages prepared and maybe even throwback uniforms and with how they've trended lately, I think they will rise to the occasion.

And this is great exposure locally and nationally. The local news channels will be talking about the game for about 24 hours between previewing the game and showing the results and highlights. We should be the only live sporting event on TV at that time. People can have the game on at work or watch it later with ESPN's platform. And anybody watching at home will see a lot of footage from 98, reminding them just what heights we can achieve. And they're going to see us go to battle against a tournament team that seems to bring back most of their top talent and hear during the whole telecast how we're supposed to be a top A10 team and make the tournament this year.

I for one couldn't be more excited and I'm already planning my day off.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Great post Rhowdy! Agree completely, this should only be seen as a positive all around.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Valpo game just got a lot tougher as I just read on ESPN that their 6'10" center Fernandez just got another year of eligibility. He was the Horizon League defensive player of the year last year.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

"Valparaiso already looked like one of the best mid-major teams in the country heading into next season, and they got better on Thursday."

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... igibility/
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gonna be a tough win - we'll have to be on our game early in the season!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Drop the kids off at school and head straight for Kingston!
Better yet...Bring the school to the game. Treat it a a field trip.

One good thing about the time slot..People shouldn't be flipping over to another game. Of course, Maury is on at 10AM.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, they go to plenty of games. School is priority.
I'll be curious to see if we get over 4,000.
It's just a bad time for so many people, for so many reasons.
85. you should go with me..
Jim Harrick turned 77 years old last week.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Sounds good. I won't schedule any appointments. Instead of dinner, we'll have brunch.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:Valpo game just got a lot tougher as I just read on ESPN that their 6'10" center Fernandez just got another year of eligibility. He was the Horizon League defensive player of the year last year.

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index ... ic=2212.50

Pretty much was expected he would be back based on the Valpo Message Board.
They had a Poll running with 18 Predicting him to play, 9 predicting he wouldn't
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Any season ticket holder who say's they can't take the day off is full of crap. Pack the house for this one!!!! Between season tickets and students, that should put us at 6,000.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Took it off already .....
Slava Ukraini!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Plan on buying a five pack (game of the month) and I'm assuming this game will be on that package. Already took the day off, can't wait.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:Plan on buying a five pack (game of the month) and I'm assuming this game will be on that package. Already took the day off, can't wait.
I hope that's not a mini-plan game because there's no way I can make it.
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

I'll be in Vegas during the American and Valpo games, my money's on Rhody!! Won big on them in Vegas for Brown game last year
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Billyboy78 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Plan on buying a five pack (game of the month) and I'm assuming this game will be on that package. Already took the day off, can't wait.
I hope that's not a mini-plan game because there's no way I can make it.
What other non-conf home game would be? The Houston game is too close to the PC game so I would assume they'll select the Valpo and PC games for the five game pack. Obviously I could be way off base though.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:Drop the kids off at school and head straight for Kingston!
That's the plan! Fortunately, I drop my kid off right on campus, so maybe there's time for a breakfast somewhere before the tip.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm coming from up north, so I'll stop at Allie's on the way to grab a ton of donuts for the tailgate.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Thanks for all the guesses and comments (and your patience). I think it's going to be a great event. National TV against a very good opponent. Novelty and a possible ncaa tourney team for this year will get people into the Ryan. It will be interesting to see if this game does better attendance wise compared to a normal middle of the week evening game.

Help me Rod! Close to fifty years ago, St. John's came to Keaney for a mid week game (1968,1969). It was the great "rain out". The roof leaked and they postponed the remainder of the game ( I think a good deal of the second half until the following afternoon). I'm pretty sure that the completion of the game was the first day of classes for second semester. Forgot what time the game was, but I remember cutting my first class even though the Rams were down double figures when the game was called. By the way, St. John's had a player name Joe Dupree who started. He went to Westbury High School in New York, where I graduated from. Billy Paultz was also on that team. Promote this thing and they will come! Boy, I love retirement!
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Any rumors about scheduling that potential 13th OOC game?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The rest of that game, Neil, was at 1:00 the following day.
Wasn't that the day/night Eddie Molloy and Claude both got hurt?
John Fultz got 17 points in the usual St. John's slow
down offense.
Very sparse crowd that afternoon.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I admire Rod and Neil......I cant remember a thing my first four wives told me.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's called, "selective memory".
People tend o recall things they liked and forget
things they didn't like.
Unless you happen to be Sicilian, in which case, you forget nothing.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:It's called, "selective memory".
things they didn't like.
Claude broke his wrist in that one….
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:It's called, "selective memory".
things they didn't like.

Must be true. I can't remember who our previous coach was.