General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:Yes to Berry, Bah! to Ba.
At least Ba would be a true Ram….
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bressler3south wrote:
What's the stat-line from in your eyes, Ace? Dancin' With the Stars?
I don't know what this means.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

It's amazing how people on this board can be so critical of EC but as soon as you call it like it is with Matt Butler everyone comes to his defense.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

EC is the man.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

STC wrote:It's amazing how people on this board can be so critical of EC but as soon as you call it like it is with Matt Butler everyone comes to his defense.
No, it's not Matt Butler per se that what it's about. It's about recognizing to admitting to writing something in black and white that shouldn't be so difficult no matter whom you are.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:
RIFan wrote:I think people what to know who replaces Gil & Biggie. Four replaces Butler, and I assume Iverson replaces Reischel at playing the 3/4.
Four replaces Matt? As what, the guy who dances in the middle of the circle? That's not a knock on Matt- he's a quality guy, but Four is going to play.

In: McGlynn, Iverson, Thompson, Butts, big man TBD (there's going to be one)
Out: Buchanan, Biruta (sigh), Butler, Reischel, Minnis
Staying: 58% of the minutes and 65% of the scoring in 14-15 in Matthews, Martin, Garrett, and Terrell plus Watson and Onyekaba

Plus, two more spots, one of which will likely be a transfer. Now, we know that they can't just equal the lost production with the new guys and improvement of the holdovers. The expectations are raised, and they must exceed it.
This is what I wrote about Matt. From a production/numbers standpoint, there's little to replace. For what it's worth, I nominate Jarvis to be the next dance in the middle of the team circle/hype guy. He could carry that off very well. Also, I think we see both sophomores, as well as maybe a more settled EC, take on those TJ qualities that we love so much on the court.

As for Ba and Berry, much like we talk about the difference between offers and "offers" to recruits, all visits are not the same, either. Some guys get the royal treatment, other guys are welcomed but also seem to understand that they're in for a try-out, not just some simple court time with the guys.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ace wrote:
ace wrote:
RIFan wrote:I think people what to know who replaces Gil & Biggie. Four replaces Butler, and I assume Iverson replaces Reischel at playing the 3/4.
Four replaces Matt? As what, the guy who dances in the middle of the circle? That's not a knock on Matt- he's a quality guy, but Four is going to play.

In: McGlynn, Iverson, Thompson, Butts, big man TBD (there's going to be one)
Out: Buchanan, Biruta (sigh), Butler, Reischel, Minnis
Staying: 58% of the minutes and 65% of the scoring in 14-15 in Matthews, Martin, Garrett, and Terrell plus Watson and Onyekaba

Plus, two more spots, one of which will likely be a transfer. Now, we know that they can't just equal the lost production with the new guys and improvement of the holdovers. The expectations are raised, and they must exceed it.
This is what I wrote about Matt. From a production/numbers standpoint, there's little to replace. For what it's worth, I nominate Jarvis to be the next dance in the middle of the team circle/hype guy. He could carry that off very well. Also, I think we see both sophomores, as well as maybe a more settled EC, take on those TJ qualities that we love so much on the court.

As for Ba and Berry, much like we talk about the difference between offers and "offers" to recruits, all visits are not the same, either. Some guys get the royal treatment, other guys are welcomed but also seem to understand that they're in for a try-out, not just some simple court time with the guys.
This is what you also wrote, and to what I now refer to as "Atypical Ace," because of it's personal nature. Whatever. It is what it is, whoever wrote it or not.

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That's literally the first thing I re-quoted. Matt was always the guy in the middle of the player's circle. How is that a personal insult? He brought energy but not statistical production. It didn't work out for him at Rhode Island from a playing perspective. I wish it had, but it happens. That's all.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Butler, just like another former player, is getting more ink now than when he was on the team.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

please forgive me for starting this. :?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Wyatt Walker, a 6-9 240lb PF/C from Jacksonville, FL just decommitted from Princeton and reopened his recruitment. Supposedly Georgetown was interested in him before he declared for Princeton. I wonder if he's someone Dan would be interested in? He averaged 18.1 points and 11.5 rebounds per game a 3-year starter at his high school (Providence HS) ....

http://jacksonville.com/sports/basketba ... er-success
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

More on Walker from when Princeton announced his commitment:

Wyatt Walker led his Providence team to a 31-1 record and a FHSAA 3A State Championship in his senior season. Walker finished his high school career with a 138-10 record including four consecutive state semifinals and two state titles. Walker also stands among the career leaders in multiple categories at Providence including first in rebounds (1,015), third in points (1,408), second in blocks and third in assists. As a senior, Walker earned Jacksonville.com Player of the Year honors as well as Prep Hoops Florida Class 3A Player of the Year recognition. Walker was a core member of the very successful Nike Team Florida program throughout his AAU career.

“Wyatt is a highly skilled big man with an extremely high basketball IQ. He has a unique ability as a post player to create offensive opportunities for his teammates while also being a scoring threat himself. Wyatt is a high character kid and possesses all the intangibles that will make him a great teammate and a perfect addition to Princeton University and its basketball program.” -- Eric Williams, Florida/Georgia Hoops Report

“Wyatt has a great feel for the game. He’s an exceptional passer and has a nose for the ball that has made him a highly successful high school player. He played at an outstanding high school program in Providence and always seems to make those around him better. Simply put, he is a winner, and we are very pleased that he’ll be a Tiger next season.” -- Mitch Henderson

I wonder why he decommitted? Grades? Wish for a higher level conference?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I don't like that floor behind him. Maybe an omen?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Why three posts on a guy we never recruited?
Walker also held offers from Brown, William & Mary, Holy Cross, Lehigh, and Fordham.
He's rated as a two star.
Judge players by who's recruiting them. Those schools don't fit our profile at all.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Why three posts on a guy we never recruited?
Walker also held offers from Brown, William & Mary, Holy Cross, Lehigh, and Fordham.
He's rated as a two star.
Judge players by who's recruiting them. Those schools don't fit our profile at all.
People are searching for the Invisible Big Man, are desperate for a miracle, are grasping for straws….FRUSTRATION!!!!! ANGER!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vy ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF CORONADO LLC
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rod, it was an illustration that there are guys out there. I also saw that Georgetown was interested in him.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

74, not faulting you for passing on information, and you're right.
There are kids still out there.
What we're seeing is the result of the small circle of bigs we were involved with
all year.
Now, we have little to no connection with anyone, and guys like Ba and Berry are
the kind of desperate reaches, Dan railed against, when he got here.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Rhody74 wrote:Rod, it was an illustration that there are guys out there. I also saw that Georgetown was interested in him.
Interest means nothing

I also had Northwestern, Iowa, and West Virginia "interested" in me AKA they came to an open gym to see me play and watched 1-2 of my games on tape and would check in every few weeks. That's also part of the publicity game, your AAU coach says you have high majors interested to get the mid-majors to make a move
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

27 pages of "General Recruiting Discussion/Comments" and counting…….Perhaps, we should re-start at a BIG FAT ZERO?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I guess the good news is, the guys who were on campus
this weekend, came and left.
No news there is good news. I've been afraid of opening this part
of the site and seeing, "URI Commit" next to Ba or Berry's thread.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:I guess the good news is, the guys who were on campus
this weekend, came and left.
No news there is good news. I've been afraid of opening this part
of the site and seeing, "URI Commit" next to Ba or Berry's thread.
Well, for those who over-indulge in the Cinco de Mayo Celebraciones, maybe it will read "URI Commit" and then they can go puke their respective brains out and wake up the next day and realize that it's the "Seis de Mayo Realidades" and go back to work feeling better all-the-way-around.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Keaney.Blue wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Rod, it was an illustration that there are guys out there. I also saw that Georgetown was interested in him.
Interest means nothing

I also had Northwestern, Iowa, and West Virginia "interested" in me AKA they came to an open gym to see me play and watched 1-2 of my games on tape and would check in every few weeks. That's also part of the publicity game, your AAU coach says you have high majors interested to get the mid-majors to make a move
Which school did you finally choose? lol
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, Murray leaving for Xavier opens up a position to
put a real big man coach on staff.
FWIW, I wrote Thorr, suggesting ARD, for obvious reasons.
I know the decision rests with Dan, but maybe ARD can break
the Jersey Boys club?
0 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

who is ARD? see the initials/acronym/nickname all the time and have been trying to figure out who it is but cant...sorry if it's a dumb question
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

zporiri wrote:who is ARD? see the initials/acronym/nickname all the time and have been trying to figure out who it is but cant...sorry if it's a dumb question
Antonio Reynolds-Dean
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Antonio Reynolds Dean
One of the best 6'5 big men in URI history. And a fan favorite. Played for the 97,98,99 NCAA teams.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

ARD's love for URI is epic.
Can't imagine a better choice.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

For younger fans, this is why we love ARD:

http://www.onebidwonders.com/2015/01/16 ... oming-man/
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Great minds think alike!
I just posted this story on the Murray thread.
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

I'm starting to get nervous. Roster emptying, loss of Luke Murray, no real news on the recruiting front. I did get the email from URI Athletics' regarding the season tickets renewal though.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ashcat wrote:I'm starting to get nervous. Roster emptying, loss of Luke Murray, no real news on the recruiting front. I did get the email from URI Athletics' regarding the season tickets renewal though.
We have the weirdest fans. For the most part, its all good news. I get that we could use a big guy. Otherwise, we are in as good of shape as we've been in in 15 years.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, I understand that you think we're in good shape.

We are, except we have NO frontcourt depth.

What happens if Hassan goes down for an extended period? Play 5 guards? The core 4 plus Iverson? Great. Who backs them up? We could use another PG too.

There are some talented big men in the A10.

We need one or two more bigs that can play a little. They don't have to be 5 star recruits.

If we don't get any for 2015, 2016 becomes even more important.

Dan will bring in somebody for next season. Somebody who, however?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:Otherwise, we are in as good of shape as we've been in in 15 years.
Yep.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I would qualify that statement.
IF Iverson is anywhere near the player Dan thinks he could be,
and somehow, we come up with a backup PG, you could say that.
However, we lost Gilvydas and haven't come close to replaced him.
A big with some skill, who despite being agonizingly inconsistent,
teams had to game plan for him, in case the "Good Gil" showed up.
We lost the best off the bench guy in TJ. Maybe Thompson/Four/Butts can replace his
stats, but what about his defense and his intensity.
We lost our backup PG, who despite not living up to the hype,
was the only guy on the team besides Jarvis with a positive assist.turnover ratio.
I don't see anyone on the present roster being a backup PG, especially if
Jarvis is injured or out for any period of time.
So, be as happy happy, joy joy as you all were two years ago.
I hope you're right.
Many questions to be answered before you are.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You are correct, Rod.

We are really in a situation not unlike last year.

Our "depth" is unproven. We will have a very solid starting 5, but beyond that, is anybody's guess.

No frontcourt depth until tonight [Berry?] and no proven backup PG.

Really paper thin. If the newbies are at least as good as those who left, we'll be OK. If not?

If we didn't foul so much, maybe we could be like PC with Cotton, or Temple was for years.

That is, trot a talented ironman starting 5 out there, and all play as close to 40 minutes as possible.

With the style we play, whether it's half court or uptempo, that's not happening.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We still gotta figure out how to score this offseason as well.
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

I'm impressed TP that you in fact realize. That we indeed need a real five. Oh and a bench that needs shoring up. Oh and a replacement for coach Murray who can bring some recruiting skills with him
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Ashcat wrote:I'm impressed TP that you in fact realize. That we indeed need a real five. Oh and a bench that needs shoring up. Oh and a replacement for coach Murray who can bring some recruiting skills with him
Woooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashcat, The Big Game Hunter on the Prowl!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjDek2 ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF PUSS N' BOOTS LLC
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

As long as we are off topic....Ashcat is my 22 lbs. pain-in-the-ass Nebulung....Quite a rare cat. He's big, but not tall enough to play five for us.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Nice! I own two Maine Coons. Love cats and dogs!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Ashcat wrote:As long as we are off topic....Ashcat is my 22 lbs. pain-in-the-ass Nebulung....Quite a rare cat. He's big, but not tall enough to play five for us.
But big enough to guard Young Mr. Berry!

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/ca ... /nebelung/

Is Ashcat the XL, L, M version of the Nebulung, Ashcat?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Nice! I own two Maine Coons. Love cats and dogs!
Love your household, Rod!!!!!

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/ca ... aine-coon/
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, I do too, Bress.
I will tell you that the two girls cause more damage around here
than both giant dogs, and all four cats combined.
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

As long as we are talking pets, I also have a pound cat we adopted. Her mother and all of her siblings were eaten by dogs as she gave birth outside. She survived on formula hand fed from a syringe. She's sweet. The Nebulung breed is an off-spring of the Russian Blue and ours is an XXL Bressler. We took him home when he was a puffball. Never stopped growing as my wife and I watched and said WTF? Thanks for the video, never saw that one.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ugh! What a horrible story!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, with Berry and Akele committing, we have one scholly left. Does that go to a transfer now?
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The 2015 recruiting class is looking pretty solid now.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, with Berry and Akele committing, we have one scholly left. Does that go to a transfer now?
My guess is they hang on to it, and if the right transfer comes along they go for it. Always nice to have that in your back pocket.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

We still have only one point guard for next year. If we can't get a quality freshman or juco, a fifth yr. player would be nice.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

For those interested in URI targets and others, here's a link for the Jam Fest:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/HGJamFest?src=hash
0 x