Monitoring NCAA Transfers

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Monitoring NCAA Transfers

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Goodman has updated his transfers list. Lists Stanford Robinson as the 23rd best guy available and mentions that he's considering Rhody.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-go ... nsfer-list
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He also has Sina still considering us.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Per Borzello, we've inquired about Kennesaw St. transfer Willy Kouassi - one of 30+ schools. He's 6'10, A-Sun DPOY.
0 x
Go Rhody!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Paschal from Fordham announced he will NOT visit PC this weekend as originally planned.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/pcbb?src=hash
Last edited by ramster 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Paschal from Fordham announced he will NOT visit PC this weekend as originally planned.
Good. Hopefully he never does.
0 x
Ramsey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramsey »

Hey everybody just wanted to pass along a couple of thoughts.

As we all know, the roster is in a state of flux. With the dismissal of Biggie, Butler and Reischell; we have the opportunity to use those three scholarships to rejuvenate the roster for next season and potentially for a couple years going forward. Its obvious to anybody who truly understands this team and its needs that we had two glaring weaknesses this past season, scoring(more importantly, a lack of good to great shooters from the FT line and from 3) and SIZE. As good as we project to be with our "core-4" and the massive potential of Kuran, we aren't going to go anywhere of substance without a serviceable big. We all worship the ground Hassan walks on but the last time a team made the Final 4 with a 6'7 center was George Mason in 2005-06 and that was a fluke type situation with a senior-laden team. Undoubtedly this team has the potential to not only make the Tournament but potentially be a 5-6 seed and win a game or two, but with the way basketball is nowadays, they need some size in order to have a serious shot at making another run to the Elite 8 or better. Nobody is arguing that. Its a fact.

With the addition of Four McGlynn, we have partially addressed our shooting needs. From the team sources I have, the thought is that the staff expects the shooting percentages of Jarvis and Jared to improve at least to the levels they were shooting the last 3rd of the season and unless somebody falls into there lap ala Jared last year, they aren't going to waste a scholarship for another guard to be on next years roster. Essentially they've learned from the mistake of tying up a valuable scholly on Matt Butler for 2 seasons of nothing.

Most people in the know, had heard a couple months back that there was a "big man that Hurley and the staff already have on lock for next season" and now that information has become public knowledge on here for awhile. Because the staff was unwilling to even hint at who the player might be, to even those closest to the program including some here on keaneyblue, many of us took that to mean that it would be a Grad Student Transfer. Those situations are always fluid and usually happen in secret, backdoor deals where a handler of the player reaches out to contacts i.e. coaches and assistant coaches of programs in order to facilitate a landing spot. Some players like to actually play the recruiting game again and make it public knowledge that they are looking for a new school, others like Four McGlynn seemingly come out of nowhere.

So what does this all mean?

I have it on good faith from people I trust that the staff is looking at the possibility of taking on one Grad Transfer, one regular Transfer who would have to sit out a year and potentially saving the extra scholarship for 2016. They are also still open to the possibility of the juco route and are very interested in Deshawn Freeman but would like to secure more size first. Freeman is a potential impact player however. I would not be surprised to see the staff secure just one more commitment and save two scholarships as they feel that the headway they've made with a number of top 100 players in 2016 and the added potential exposure of next years team could lead to the best class yet in the Hurley regime. My sources have told me in the last couple days that the staff is looking far and wide and have been making overtures to a wide spectrum of players. Here are two grad transfers and two normal transfers that I've been told we have looked into:

Tomasz Gielo- Redshirt Grad Transfer eligible next year. 6'9 225lbs PF. Gielo played just 7 games last year before suffering a stress fracture in his right foot that kept him out the rest of the season. However, in his last 39 games played over the last 2 years at Liberty University, Gielo has averaged 11.1ppg 6rpg 0.6bpg and shot 40.5%(51-126) from 3pt and 78.4%(80-102) from the FT line.

Nate Wells- Redshirt Grad Transfer eligible next year. 7'1 260lbs C. One quick look at what Nate Wells has done over his 3 year career at Bradley University would lead one to believe that he didn't belong in Division 1 hoops and for the first two and a half years of his career, he seemingly did not. However upon closer inspection, with 9 games left in this past season, the coaches at Bradley decided to give the big fella a chance and he reacted rather surprisingly. Showing good stamina and speed for a man his size, Wells averaged 24mpg 7.2ppg 3.3rpg and 1.5bpg over the final 9 games including one versus Wichita st. and two versus Northern Iowa.

Kyle Washington- Sophomore Transfer eligible for 2016-17. 6'9 230lbs PF. Washington is an enigma. The former NC State Soph big-man averaged 20mpg as a Freshman yet with the addition of Abdul-Malik Abu he dropped to just 17.8mpg this past season while all of his per48 averages increased and I mean all of them. He jumped to 6.8ppg 4.1rpg and 1.2bpg while slightly lowering his turnovers and fouls. He parks himself in the paint yet made 7 out of 13 3pt fgs good for a 54% average and 28 out of 39 Free Throws for a 72% average. Even better he stepped up when it mattered most, The NCAA Tournament, in just 12 minutes against 9 seed LSU in a game NCSt won by 1 point, Washington put up 9pts and 4rebs. After playing just 3 mins and putting up 2 pts against 1 seed Villanova, Washington put up 11pts 1reb and 1block in just 9 mins in a Sweet 16 loss to Louisville. He shot 4 out of 5 and 1 of 1 from 3pt while continually bringing the ball at Montrezl Harrell and the 7footers of L'ville.

Johnathan Williams III- Sophomore Transfer eligible for 2016-17. 6'9.5 230lbs PF. Williams would have been the returning leading scorer and rebounder for the Missouri Tigers. A big-time athlete, Williams averaged 1.6 blocks per game as a freshman yet started to drift more towards the 3pt line as a sophomore. Regardless of perceived selfishness, he will be one of the top transfers on the market after posting 29.4mpg 12ppg 7.1rpg .6bpg 34% from 3pt and 62% from the FT line.

In regards to both Williams and Washington, Rhody has an in. Williams best friend on Mizzou was PG Wes Clark, aka Elbert Clark Matthews "brother" and best friend; while Washington played last season with Abdul-Malik Abu, the best friend of Jared Terrell.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Thank you.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Wow Ramsey, thanks for all the information.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramsey, Washington also played with Terrell at Brewster.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like Ramsey's input. Good stuff!

I also think he is the reincarnation of SlyWilliamsCaddy. I liked Sly tho. I will read tabloids on this program. Doesn't have to be fire for me. I will read smoke.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Lol ^
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Keaney_Blue wrote:Graduate transfer Mike Thorne has his list down to three -- Illinois, Kansas & Pittsburgh. Will visit all three schools, per a source. -- Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels)
It's Illinois ...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... mmediately
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramsey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramsey »

Your all welcome just wanted to pass along some stuff in what has been a dead period. Idk what slywilliamscaddy is?? a tabloid? huh im confused. but just to update a little further, as I said on the Washington recruit page a min ago, my source told me today that the staff has a really good relationship with Ty Boswell the aau coach or head guy at Expressions Elite and either he or somebody with that program have been in Washingtons ear that the perfect place for him is uri. go join back up with Iverson and Jared, im pretty sure they along with abu and a couple others won the aau national championship together. I know Brewster won the national prep title too but I think Washington may have already graduated. either way, lets lock this kid up.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I like Ramsey's input. Good stuff!

I also think he is the reincarnation of SlyWilliamsCaddy. I liked Sly tho. I will read tabloids on this program. Doesn't have to be fire for me. I will read smoke.
If that's the case, it'll be a short life…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mCK05d ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF THE FOGGY BOTTOM LLC
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 2m2 minutes ago
Cornell transfer Shonn Miller has committed to UConn, source told @CBSSports. Story: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... icks-uconn
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

We all love Ty Boswell, that's a fact, Ramsey. Yet, Ty Boswell does URI better on the outside rather than on the inside. Also, there's the major question of how well does Ty Boswell do financially outside compared to being on the inside? These are questions you would have to ask him.
First, read his profile, then check with the Caddy, then your sources, then Mr. Boswell and his family….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN_BLRT ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL LLC
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Ty Boswell to URI story has been around forever, coupled with Carr being
moved to some administrative post.
Boswell doesn't have a college degree, which is a requirement at URI for
all coaches.
I agree with Bressler, in that Boswell can be more useful to us exactly where he is now.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It is not difficult to change qualifications for non-classified, non-union staff positions at URI.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Rhody72 wrote:It is not difficult to change qualifications for non-classified, non-union staff positions at URI.
Yeah, you must be referring to the first wave of math professors from India during the 70's that made the subject even more baffling for me……
;) ;) ;)
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rodfromcranston wrote:The Ty Boswell to URI story has been around forever, coupled with Carr being
moved to some administrative post.
Boswell doesn't have a college degree, which is a requirement at URI for
all coaches.
I agree with Bressler, in that Boswell can be more useful to us exactly where he is now.

I don't know about how enforced the college degree policy is, but I was told by a former coach at URI that Jim Foster did not have a college degree when he was coaching at URI. Apparently he had a job offer from Notre Dame that he couldn't accept because he didn't have a college degree. I can't confirm that this is cometsly accurate, but I trust my source.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I don't think that I have seen his name on this board. Antwan Space is transferring from Texas A and M. 6'8" 235 From Dallas, went to Florida State, , sat transferred to Texas A&M and sat out a year, and will be graduating this year and immediately eligible. Used to be a four star, top 100 player, but clearly has not lived up to his potential. Did not play a lot this past season.

Purportedly he is visiting UMass this weekend.

Anyone know anything first hand about him ?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

McRam wrote:I don't think that I have seen his name on this board. Antwan Space is transferring from Texas A and M. 6'8" 235 From Dallas, went to Florida State, , sat transferred to Texas A&M and sat out a year, and will be graduating this year and immediately eligible. Used to be a four star, top 100 player, but clearly has not lived up to his potential. Did not play a lot this past season.

Purportedly he is visiting UMass this weekend.

Anyone know anything first hand about him ?
Must of really liked his visit because he already committed to transferring there.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would be nice if we would hear of any transfers visiting here....
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Ramsey wrote:Nate Wells- Redshirt Grad Transfer eligible next year. 7'1 260lbs C. One quick look at what Nate Wells has done over his 3 year career at Bradley University would lead one to believe that he didn't belong in Division 1 hoops and for the first two and a half years of his career, he seemingly did not. However upon closer inspection, with 9 games left in this past season, the coaches at Bradley decided to give the big fella a chance and he reacted rather surprisingly. Showing good stamina and speed for a man his size, Wells averaged 24mpg 7.2ppg 3.3rpg and 1.5bpg over the final 9 games including one versus Wichita st. and two versus Northern Iowa.
Ball State.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Ramsey wrote:Johnathan Williams III- Sophomore Transfer eligible for 2016-17. 6'9.5 230lbs PF. Williams would have been the returning leading scorer and rebounder for the Missouri Tigers. A big-time athlete, Williams averaged 1.6 blocks per game as a freshman yet started to drift more towards the 3pt line as a sophomore. Regardless of perceived selfishness, he will be one of the top transfers on the market after posting 29.4mpg 12ppg 7.1rpg .6bpg 34% from 3pt and 62% from the FT line.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

One thing is clear right now, if all these transfers and jucos are waiting to see who ends up where and who declares?? Then we are not high on anybody's list because they don't have to wait and see with our roster.

That isn't encouraging.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I'm puzzled. You would think we'd be an attractive landing spot for a big man looking to transfer. There's the opportunity to play right away. We're projected to be a good team. We have outstanding guards. It appears the schedule is being upgraded. With the addition of a good big man we should be an NCAA team. And yet names keep dropping.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Let's play devil's advocate here.
If I'm a front court player or his rep, I look at URI's stats.
Your best front court player averages 11.5ppg on only 8 shots a game.
Not a lot of touches, by any means, and many of those shots are
rebounds.
Martin had the second highest minutes on the roster.
Then look at the number of shots per game by EC AND Terrell.
Then look at shots per minute.
Not a friendly environment for a front court player, looking to show
his wares.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

True enough Rod, but a player might look at it that the guards were forced to put up more shots because
the post players were not good enough to help more with the scoring. A good big man should believe he
would get more touches if he is contributing offensively and would believe he would be able to do a better job
than the players who were here. I think for many players they would see themselves as the answer and feel
they would get plenty of minutes with little competition to take minutes from them. That's how I would
look at it if I were a confident and competent big.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rodfromcranston wrote:Let's play devil's advocate here.
If I'm a front court player or his rep, I look at URI's stats.
Your best front court player averages 11.5ppg on only 8 shots a game.
Not a lot of touches, by any means, and many of those shots are
rebounds.
Martin had the second highest minutes on the roster.
Then look at the number of shots per game by EC AND Terrell.
Then look at shots per minute.
Not a friendly environment for a front court player, looking to show
his wares.

Very fair point that could certainly be going through the minds of prospective bigs. In terms of Hassan's numbers last year, we had to deal with teams packing the paint, which made it harder to find Hassan at times. Hopefully, better perimeter shooting (and court vision) will open up the paint for Hassan to operate. If we shoot a higher percentage from the perimeter, then we might see a drop in the number of attempts and, as a result, an increase in Hassan's numbers.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Gil and Hassan were wide open calling for the ball on many occasions. The guards continued to pass it around the perimeter.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Sophomore Shannon Evans is transferring from Buffalo. He originally was going to go elsewhere after Witherspoon was fired, but Bobby talked him into staying. And again, there's some speculation as to how Danny White is handling the situation.

Regardless of the Buffalo situation and how it all was handled with his brother, Dan was thrilled for Oats when he got the job.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Alex Kline @TheRecruitScoop · 38m 38 minutes ago
RT @GoodmanESPN: Buffalo transfer Shannon Evans is leaning towards following Bobby Hurley to Arizona State.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

From what I read, White didn't give Evans a blanket release initially. He was blocked from transferring to Arizona State, all MAC schools, VCU and ODU. Evans is from Suffolk, Virginia. I think White changed the release after some pubkic pressure.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

6'9" PF
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody74 wrote:Doubt Dan would be interested ...
Yeah, and no real connection. I think the relevancy is that it further deepens the market.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

And, the beat goes on........
Meanwhile:
Attachments
sos.jpg
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rodfromcranston wrote:And, the beat goes on........
Meanwhile:
well according to you we already have too many guards...
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm talking in general, not about guards.
Players all over the country committing
to schools, visiting schools, coming out with their lists.
So, is that a lie?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Grandy Glaze (Saint Louis) and Dinero Mercurius (USF) are transferring. Mentioned only because of their names, although they did look at Mercurius two years ago.

Buffalo fans, at least a few of them, are a salty bunch.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

No tengo dinero.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, you want BIG? You want maybe a two-fer of bigs?
Adonis was rated pretty highly coming out of high school, but
ran into the NCAA clearing house.
Here's Zag's story:
DE LA ROSAS TO TRANSFER

Adonis De La Rosa, St. John’s 7-foot freshman, and Joey De La Rosa, a 6-11 senior, will both transfer, a source told SNY.tv.

The school later issued this statement from AD Chris Monash: “Adonis has been released from the men’s basketball program. He has been granted permission to contact other schools and plans to transfer to another institution.”

Adonis De La Rosa did not play last year due after he was deemed a non-qualifier in November.

He chose St. John’s in April 2014 over Pittsburgh, South Carolina and Alabama, among others.

Adonis, who averaged 12 points and 12 rebounds in helping lead Christ the King to a second straight New York Class AA Federation crown last year, said at the time Pitt was a close second.

Joey De La Rosa averaged 0.5 points and 0.9 rebounds in a reserve role for St. John’s.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I guess they'd come in a De La Rosa brother package.
I think Joey would be a grad transfer.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If Adonis is eligible immediately that would solve all problems
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »