Dan Hurley Signs Restructured Contract @ URI through 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Dan Hurley Signs Extension w/ URI, Sprurns St. John's

Unread post by bigappleram »

TruePoint wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Great News on Hurley! Now I continue my belief that Dan Hurley is a different kind of man, a different kind of coach, a man with different and higher values than many others. His possession of these higher values is precisely why PC can't fathom this move by Hurley. How can a fan base and an academic administration that bans speakers and plays ever begin to understand higher values when their own values are so low. They are hypocrites and phonies.
PC only allows speakers/plays on campus that are consistent with the Catholic mission that the school promotes. Please educate me how that is hypocritical or phony.
It is at the very least antithetical to the purpose of higher education.
True but at least it explains why he's a mental midget.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Dan Hurley Signs Extension w/ URI, Spurns St. John's

Unread post by CT Rhody »

This couldn't of turned out any better for us. Don't bother with the PC fans on this site guys, clearly they have nothing better to do and are annoyed A-10 coaches continues to pass up the new Big Least conference.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

seanmc94 wrote:It's semantics; but with Mullin set to accept, it's obvious who the first choice was.

Interesting that everyone here has ignored Zagorias statement that Rutgers could have signed Hurley with a better offer.
not as concerned about that because Dan had only been here 1 year, different situation as now where he has been here for 3 and rebuilt the program
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Also 3 days of national media attention and our coach renewing his vows is a boost to recruiting
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:Sean, you have 1348 posts here, more than all but 18 of the URI fans that post here. That is very sad.

Truth
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Speaking of hypoctites; when does Rhody74s ban start?

His profanity laced tirade directed at a poster is expressly prohibited by YOUR rules
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

peeps4life wrote:i've never seen so much hype for an NIT coach in my life.
In the New York City Newspapers too for the prime New York City College Basketball Team too

Pretty amazing isn't it Peepers?

Kind of makes you wonder coming out of New York

If Hurley was a Stock the New York Investment Firms would be loading up based on his future potential
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

Lets hope we will not have to have this discussion again for the foreseeable future. Does anyone know when we can expect to see the details of the extension? As an aside (sorry) does anyone know when our obligation with Adidas expires?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ashcat wrote:Lets hope we will not have to have this discussion again for the foreseeable future. Does anyone know when we can expect to see the details of the extension? As an aside (sorry) does anyone know when our obligation with Adidas expires?
All reports have the extension being completed early this week. That is when I would anticipate details becoming public.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm betting the addidas deal is part of Hurley's negotiations.
His last contract stipulated that they be terminated ASAP.
Never happened.
That contract is able to be viewed as public information.
We saw CFL's extension, back when.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I'm guessing a majority of the enhancements are program strengthening that endure long past any single coach. This won't be about Dan lining his pockets. He has proven to not be cut from the same cloth.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

seanmc94 wrote:You aren't looking hard enough; it's there. Plus you guys quote our board all the time
Name one URI poster on the PC Board seanmc

Feel free to name 2,3 or as many as you like.............

I have looked hard and see none, so help us all out here
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We on this board are too kind to our pc posters......I , for one, am against banning anyone.....to make a pro-URI post over there is like wearing a Redsox uniform and sitting in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium......too dangerous to try to argue with that crazy hurtful minority of posters over there....including their leader who never even attended the school.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Currently on the PC board they are offering a few worthwhile curriculums

Revisionist History 101
How to Eat Crow Part 1
Everything You Need to Know from the North Providence Stop n Shop
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

seanmc94 wrote:Speaking of hypoctites; when does Rhody74s ban start?

His profanity laced tirade directed at a poster is expressly prohibited by YOUR rules
Do you know what's more disruptive to the community? A bit of profanity in a heat of the moment from someone who isn't ever disruptive otherwise? Or perhaps irritants from other fan bases who constantly attempt to police what's said here or otherwise cause disruption?

Given you have received WAY MORE latitude than perhaps anyone on this entire site, you might want to stop tattletaling.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
STJKory
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by STJKory »

Just to clarify, this is what our insider is saying on Mullin:
Ink is dry
Some really exciting names being floated around for staff...
One is already on board ...he's trying for more
So it seems as this was agreed to well before and signed now. Sorry to post again, but just wanted to give y'all all the info. Have a great year!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would agree BAR, but I'm sure there's a little more money there, maybe in gradual increments over the life of the deal.

This deal might have to be reworked again, especially if URI makes the Dance next season, and maybe wins a game or two.

It's just the nature of the beast. Look at Shaka's situation. Every year, he's tied to some big opening, this year it's Texas.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ATPTourFan wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:Speaking of hypoctites; when does Rhody74s ban start?

Do you know what's more disruptive to the community? A bit of profanity in a heat of the moment from someone who isn't ever disruptive otherwise? Or perhaps irritants from other fan bases who constantly attempt to police what's said here or otherwise cause disruption?

Given you have received WAY MORE latitude than perhaps anyone on this entire site, you might want to stop tattletaling.
That tirade was one of the funniest things I have ever seen!
So glad I got to it before it was deleted...
I would tell you to do it to yourself, but you aren't big enough.
Hahaha. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Do people really think Chris mullin is going to make St Johns better than Lavin did? Come on. Many a man has tried with the johnnies. They will be who we thought they were.

PeeCee night night. Good run. It's all over.

Is 2 mill in the city worth more than what Dan makes in south county???relatively?

***its ok for us to promote Preston Murphy or any of our guys anytime*** that should be a rule***
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If Mullin makes smart hires its possible. His name will have equity with HS and AAU coaches, likely recruits will have to google him.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rumor has it, that Lavin left because St. Johns offered him an extention with a pay CUT, not an increase, citing financial difficulties at the school.

Guess that Fox money wasn't enough huh?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

That's pretty funny if true.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Still the House of Hurley
Attachments
stillhouseofhurley.jpg
stillhouseofhurley.jpg (57.83 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'll admit that it bothers me that we have to extend our basketball coach's salary every time some other school shows an interest. I thought that this was the third year of Dan's seven year contract. Extending him next year after a good season would have made more sense to me. He could say to recruits that he is committed for their four years. While Dan is well on his way to fulfilling my expectations when he was hired, he hasn't gotten us to the NCAAs yet. Actually, he is close to where Baron got us after three years. I think this move says something about the state of our program at the present time.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:You aren't looking hard enough; it's there. Plus you guys quote our board all the time

Still waiting.....so over here I know of 4 from your side who post regularly
Now take that on a percentage basis on our Board that is pretty significant

On the PC Board there are Zero URI Supporters unless you can name one:
URI Posters on the PC Board as per SeanMc
0 x
STJKory
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by STJKory »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Do people really think Chris mullin is going to make St Johns better than Lavin did? Come on. Many a man has tried with the johnnies. They will be who we thought they were.

PeeCee night night. Good run. It's all over.

Is 2 mill in the city worth more than what Dan makes in south county???relatively?

***its ok for us to promote Preston Murphy or any of our guys anytime*** that should be a rule***
Ahh, I can't stop posting! Lavin did a lot of good things here, no doubt. He changed the viewpoint of St. John's and ran a clean program (disciplined players). He would've continued to be the coach if he just continued to recruit. Thing is he got lazy and complacent. Wasn't in any gyms, scrambling late, etc. Local coaches also hated him. This is a good article on it.

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-joh ... les-let-go

That's where Mullin will have a big advantage. He is well liked by a lot of basketball people and he works extremely hard at everything he does. His staff also looks like it may be better. Lavin is a proven weak in game and x's and o's coach. Maybe Mullin can be better. He was after all in the mix (some say offered and turned down) two NBA coaching jobs and has been in NBA front offices, including as a GM. He has connections, can sell NBA experience and can sell he won't leave St. John's (stability was a problem at times w/ Lavin also).

The potential is there. And at worst he's a guy who everyone can get behind.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If the Mullin hire fails, it will be very tough to fire him, being a legend there. It's more likely that he will walk away.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Sorry about the tirade ... my inner Belichik took over. If you want b to suspend me for it I understand.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

STJKory wrote:Just to clarify, this is what our insider is saying on Mullin:
Ink is dry
So it seems as this was agreed to well before and signed now. Sorry to post again, but just wanted to give y'all all the info. Have a great year!
I think it would be fair to read the timing as either hurley was notified that Johns was going with Mullin and Dan was given the courtesy of announcing his extension first, or that Dan notified Johns he was staying at URI and Mullin had already agreed to take the job if Hurley didn't, so Johns responded quickly in hiring Mullin. Could honestly believe either version, but it doesn't really matter. We got what we wanted, and you got a guy you obviously wanted. Whether you wsnted him more or less than Hurley is just a historical footnote.

Congrats on bringing Mullin back home. Hope he kills it and is there for the next 20 years.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
STJKory
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by STJKory »

rambone 78 wrote:Rumor has it, that Lavin left because St. Johns offered him an extention with a pay CUT, not an increase, citing financial difficulties at the school.

Guess that Fox money wasn't enough huh?
He was offered a paycut, mainly due to performance. Financial difficulties is something the school is having trouble with though, having less enrollment than previous years. The athletic program is still in decent shape.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

According to them Dan can influence what runs on the back cover of the Daily News and Post .... Just comical
0 x
STJKory
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by STJKory »

TruePoint wrote:I think it would be fair to read the timing as either hurley was notified that Johns was going with Mullin and Dan was given the courtesy of announcing his extension first, or that Dan notified Johns he was staying at URI and Mullin had already agreed to take the job if Hurley didn't, so Johns responded quickly in hiring Mullin. Could honestly believe either version, but it doesn't really matter. We got what we wanted, and you got a guy you obviously wanted. Whether you wsnted him more or less than Hurley is just a historical footnote.

Congrats on bringing Mullin back home. Hope he kills it and is there for the next 20 years.
Yup we both got what we wanted (well not me personally I wanted a Hurley haha).

Thanks brother! Best of luck to you also.
Billyboy78 wrote:If the Mullin hire fails, it will be very tough to fire him, being a legend there. It's more likely that he will walk away.
Very true and a fear of mine.

Hopefully I can leave this time :) Best of luck to you all!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
ramster wrote:

Still waiting.....so over here I know of 4 from your side who post regularly
Now take that on a percentage basis on our Board that is pretty significant

On the PC Board there are Zero URI Supporters unless you can name one:
URI Posters on the PC Board as per SeanMc
PC Posters - correct me if I identify any of you incorrectly but this is my best guess
Ranked 19th SeanMc94 with 1349 posts
Ranked 27th rjSuperfly66 with 1039 posts
Ranked 76th peeps4life with 226 posts
Ranked 79th CaptainRon@ with 206 posts
Ranked 105th woodennickel1 with 115 posts

to be honest Captain and wooden do not seem to be so biased with their posting and I could be wrong with them

That's a lot of posts though.....................4 PC Fans in our Top 80 :lol: :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:Sorry about the tirade ... my inner Belichik took over. If you want b to suspend me for it I understand.
Nah you're good.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wow, War of the Boards!!!! But we have the advantage, since even the PC moderators are low class. Remember the one who dumped on the Ramettes. What a big guy to pick on ladies.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Is it November yet?.......where is our big man?......watching the elite eight, why can't we get one of those wide bodies, space eaters, role players, now that we are solid top 25 preseason?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You think we'll be rated top 25 preseason?

Nice thought, but not yet....

Get that good big man [or two] and now we're talking.....
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I'd say prob top 40 preseason. we will be one of the
"Others receiving votes" In the first poll if I had to guess.
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

STJKory wrote:Just to clarify, this is what our insider is saying on Mullin:
Ink is dry
I wonder who the assistants will be? Mark Jackson? Although, his HC experience is limited, too.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

peeps4life wrote:i've never seen so much hype for an NIT coach in my life.
Oh the tears of unfathomable sadness! Yummy! Yummy, you guys!

0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Really wish I had caught 74's tirade before editing happened.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:Really wish I had caught 74's tirade before editing happened.
Me too,
Can someone provide us with a basic summary?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Running Ram wrote:Really wish I had caught 74's tirade before editing happened.
Me too,
Can someone provide us with a basic summary?
http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id ... eleted.m4r
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Stopped by the PC board for some good laughs. That has to be the dumbest fan base in the country. Amazed so many of those guys don't have anything better to do on a weekend none the less. So the facts that we know is this, St John's reached out to Dan Sat morning, Dan signed an extension today and St John's hired Mullins today, anything outside of that is all speculation at this point. Don't really understand anybody saying anything other then at at this point.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Basically, I told one of our PC "friends" to do something that is probably physiologically impossible considering the size of a certain appendage. I threw in a few f-bombs for good measure. I just got tired of reading this drivel.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

ramster wrote:
PC Posters - correct me if I identify any of you incorrectly but this is my best guess

to be honest Captain and wooden do not seem to be so biased with their posting and I could be wrong with them

That's a lot of posts though.....................4 PC Fans in our Top 80 :lol: :lol:
for the most part rj is not bad (he was actually arguing the case for why Hurley would stay at URI on the PC board)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

twisted3829 wrote:
ramster wrote:

for the most part rj is not bad (he was actually arguing the case for why Hurley would stay at URI on the PC board)
Does that include SpiderGandy and whatever other screen names he uses?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RJ is knowledgeable and is usually very fair and reasoned in his opinions regarding us, and also realistic about his team.

Don't have a problem with him. The others? Not so much, although they all are OK some of the time.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Did I see seany write about PC only allowing good ol catholic boys on campus? With a storied history including such wonderful representatives like Donnie McGrath and the most recent torch bearer Brandon Austin...what an example for the kids.

I wonder if they're featured speakers at orientation?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL