Tyson talks about Kris Dunn

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Tyson talks about Kris Dunn

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Tyson talks about Kris Dunn

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dunn is a very special player. I'm sure everyone here will be watching tonight.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Should be talking about Jarvis. Go Flyers.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, after I go out and buy some Dayton Flyers gear, I'll be watching.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I hope he scores 40 with 20 assists.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:I hope he scores 40 with 20 assists.
I cannot wait to root for Kris in the NBA, either.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sorry, I'll be rooting for Dayton.
Doubt they'll win, but they're A-10.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'll also be rooting for Dayton!
I pull (begrudgingly) for the other team only when it affects our RPI and it does not at this time so if I can channel my inner blueman fuck those mother fucking fucks!

I do like Dunn though, that boy has skills! Actually I usually like the players on that team much better than the obnoxious fans, if I could root for the players to win but the fans to lose I'd probably do that, but those fan fucks are such dicks I want lowly A10 Dayton to shit all over the other teams dance.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I want Dunn to declare for the NBA to assure us running them off the floor next year at the Ryan. They stand zero chance without him, even with him we will be favored, but it will be a tough game. The kid is special, so special in fact I think he should bypass any more time on Smith Street. The ends justifies the means.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

doubt you will be favored if dunn returns.

that being said... you will be favored. he gone.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I think given you would be Dunn and a whole bunch of youth and/or unproven players we would be favorites, albeit probably only small favorites (-2 or 3)....we will be returning 4 of 5 starters and 85% of our production, and you would be losing a lot with only Dunn and Bentil as proven scoring threats. If he's gone put a 1 in front of that number, you will be in a rebuild.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

peeps4life wrote:doubt you will be favored if dunn returns.

peeps is that a well known fact amongst PC fans or just your personal belief? Haven't seen anything come out that would indicate which way he is leaning.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Sorry, I'll be rooting for Dayton.
Doubt they'll win, but they're A-10.
I am rooting for Dayton and for Dunn to put in an NBA-worthy performance. Can't a man have everything in life?
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

bigappleram wrote:
peeps4life wrote:doubt you will be favored if dunn returns.

peeps is that a well known fact amongst PC fans or just your personal belief? Haven't seen anything come out that would indicate which way he is leaning.
That's his personal belief. Dunn hasn't said directly. He and his family said they will sit down and discuss it after the season. This isn't a Ledo situation. He is getting good information.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Draft Express currently has Dunn as their 17th best prospect for the upcoming NBA draft, including internationals.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wish we had Bentil. Plus they have Owens coming in to add to
their front court.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I wouldn't root for that hideous disgusting school if they were playing al-Qaeda. And I hope all their players miss all their shots and foul out.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Red,

Wishes are for little kids and losers.

GO FRIARS!!!

FYI, word on the street is that Dunn is leaning towards coming back. However, all that can change if he blows up on the big stage.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

FYI word on the street menas nothing.

I am betting big on the friaz tonight. They are a nightmare matchup for Dayton. -3 thanks
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Good article. Tyson is a class act.
Kris Dunn is going pro. Leave when your stock is high.
Co Big East POY and Big East Defensive Player of the Year.
NBA draft blogs have him about 15th with his rating going up.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

One big performance on a big stage would do a lot of good for KD. He is one of the most underrated players in the country, which boggles the mind. Besides Russell (OSU) and Moore (Iowa St) I can't think of a PG even comparable to him. And b/c of his size and elite athleticism I might only rank him behind Russell in terms of NBA potential.

Agree smokin, seems like a slam dunk with PC -3.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The biggest factor to me for Dunn's decision is his health. If he hadn't been injured so frequently I would feel less strongly that he needs to go. But he should go get paid while his health allows.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I don't care about how Dunn looks tonight. I want Dayton to win. Will worry about next year after the season.

I have to admit, though, I haven't seen many better than Dunn this year. Seems like a good kid. I hope he makes the right decision, whatever it is.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

sf2010 wrote:Draft Express currently has Dunn as their 17th best prospect for the upcoming NBA draft, including internationals.
ESPN has him in the mix for third-best point guard now, and said his draft range was 13 to 20, depending on how he did in the tournament and pre-draft stuff. He's definitely shot up the draft boards, and justifiably.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dunn is going in this years draft that I know
Now playing for positioning in the draft.
Important for him for PC to win tonight so that he keeps playing, but even with a loss tonight he is gone
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

For everyone, I am putting a link to the salary differences of the first round draft picks. This has to be agonizing for someone like Dunn, take the money at 17(if that is what it really turns out) or wait and hope that you move up substantially the next year.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-s ... raft-year/
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

After last night I don't know that Dunn is top 20. For a guy as under the radar as him to play like that...that definitely didn't help his draft stock
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He certainly didnt do himself any favors, but the NBA drafts potential not actual results...even in one of his worst games he showed flashes of speed and explosiveness that were next level.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I highly doubt that on bad game overrides Kris Dunn's fabulous
season, or dampens the talent that he has.
The NBA scouts are not going to judge his entire body of work on
one bad game.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

He is certain no 1 NBA pick....

I hope he stays so we see him in December.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Scouts are concerned he can't go left
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Iggy1979 wrote:Scouts are concerned he can't go left
good. he's coming back.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

EC can't go right and Dunn can't go left.
Maybe we can combine them into one player?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Not a big deal for an elite talent....few days of mitten on the off hand drills will fix it...

:)

Remember how Bob Cousy said breaking his right arm one spring made him the player he was....played all summer with his left hand as I recall.....

I put the right handed mitten on my players when I was coaching, worked like a charm.....good athletes adapt quickly, elite athletes adapt even quicker.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Lenny Wilkens was a total left-handed player. He did okay for himself.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

hrstrat57 wrote:Not a big deal for an elite talent....few days of mitten on the off hand drills will fix it...

:)

Remember how Bob Cousy said breaking his right arm one spring made him the player he was....played all summer with his left hand as I recall.....

I put the right handed mitten on my players when I was coaching, worked like a charm.....good athletes adapt quickly, elite athletes adapt even quicker.
Not necessarily. Red Auerbach used to say that Sly Williams was the most left-handed player he'd ever seen, and nothing changed that, even after seven years in the NBA.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Dunn Dunn Dunn, hes really good. Just not THAT good. I think his draft stock depends on the rest of the class. If it is weak he can slip in top 15. If everyone with potential comes out he could be on ice.

If you're projected after the top 15 it gets dicey because a few teams will take a flyer on foreign guys. Then they grab some upperclassmen that are known commodities, ie shooters, big bodies. It is easy for good players to fall out of the 1st round.

He has the resume at this point, he would have to outplay some of the other top pg's in workouts to garner more hype. I doubt he shoots well in drills.

Look at Michael Carter Williams, he was amazing at syracuse, rookie of the year and the 76ers let him go. Shooting the ball matters. Really more than ever.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Of course, you're not considering that the 76ers are insane.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Dunn Dunn Dunn, hes really good. Just not THAT good. I think his draft stock depends on the rest of the class. If it is weak he can slip in top 15. If everyone with potential comes out he could be on ice.

If you're projected after the top 15 it gets dicey because a few teams will take a flyer on foreign guys. Then they grab some upperclassmen that are known commodities, ie shooters, big bodies. It is easy for good players to fall out of the 1st round.

He has the resume at this point, he would have to outplay some of the other top pg's in workouts to garner more hype. I doubt he shoots well in drills.

Look at Michael Carter Williams, he was amazing at syracuse, rookie of the year and the 76ers let him go. Shooting the ball matters. Really more than ever.
What are you basing your comments on? Do you have facts based on recent drafts? It is my understanding for players selected in the first round their pay is guaranteed for two years. So if Dunn went 17th (where he is currently projected) he would be guaranteed $2.85 million.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

It's based off just generally following a lot of basketball. I know the 1st round money is guaranteed.

I know Napier put a team on his back, won the whole thing and still went 24th with the help of a Lebron james tweet.

Being projected to go after the lottery makes guys prone to slippage. Dunn could seize the day and get a jump like Alfred Payton. Who knows right now?

IMHO dunn is a poor mans John wall. John wall has a max deal and the leadership of a team but still is viewed in a lower tier. I'm guessing a lesser version of that player won't come at a premium.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

napier's play definitely helped. he is literally the same exact player as cotton and had no trouble making the league.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Dunn is a good player. Do I really think he's NBA ready? Nope. If he gets drafted, I bet he rides the bench for a couple years or lives in the D-league for a bit. I know some will probably lose there stuff over these comments, but that's how I see it. When you play in what is now being talked about as an overrated Big East and you play against a lot of guys who probably won't end up in the NBA themselves it's easier to stand out.
I'll even say the same thing about E.C. when it comes to Rhody. I love the kid, but I think he needs another couple years in college and will most likely be ready when he graduates from Rhody.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea the reality is most kids won't make an impact in the NBA.

For Dunn I just look at all the rosters and the elite PGs on each team. Then count the teams that have guys like eric Bledsoe or Brandon knight. You know middle tier guys. Not many spots out there.

The backups are often veteran guys that the team knows what they're getting.

Is it me or is that delusional to say there is no difference between cotton and Napier?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Cotton 21 PPG 41% fg 37% 3pt 85% FT 6ft 1 165
Napier 18 PPG 44% fg 40% 3pt 87% FT 6ft 1 180
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Thats such narrow thinking. Compare the kid Harvey from Eastern washington to like Tyus Jones..... What does that say? nothing really.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Is it me or is that delusional to say there is no difference between cotton and Napier?
I don't think they're that dissimilar. Napier had better teammates, and he was a bit better himself. This year has shown they're both probably fringe NBA players, with Napier a bit better than Cotton. Napier is also a good reminder about why when you hear Dick Vitale or some other college booster screaming about guys with pedigree and college stats being passed on in the draft, well, the scouts know what they're doing a lot of the time.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm in the minority.....I feel that Cotton is superior to Napier.....UConn just went on to win their tourney games....had Cotton have gotten a couple of more games in the spotlight he would have become a media darling....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !