2015 NIT 1st Round: Iona - St Patrick's Day on ESPNU

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: NIT Game 1, St. Patrick's Day vs Iona at 7 on ESPNU

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote:
rhodyrudder wrote:Ncaa women are there monday
Yeah my fault, didnt realize they were a Saturday/Monday regional. To me that actually makes it even less likely that we play there.
The facility will have to be available for practice as well.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Fun game to watch! Biggie was from another planet. How about cloning that for next year? Loved our freshman point guard who, for the most part, is no longer a first year player. There has got to be a message some where when the laid back alumni boo the refs off the court at half time. The Gaels had 24 foul shot attempts after twenty minutes. Did watch the first half of Stanford/Davis. Hope we get the game here, but Stanford is beatable. Go Rhody!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

On Sunday there will be only 2 women's teams left to practice. Why can't the women practice late morning or early afternoon and the men play at 8:00 at night? As much as I'd like to have the game here, I don't see this as that big of a scheduling problem at Stanford.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

That's an interesting point that you bring up at the end. Maybe the delay in announcing the location was Stanford waiting to see what attendance looked like. Texas A&M and Tulsa have both already announced that they're hosting in round 2 and Alabama already announced they're going to Miami. Ours is the only established game where the location is TBA.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Notes on Garrett, the bench, and the state of the team (a beat-up Gil, an exhausted Hassan)-

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... 13933/NEWS
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Here's the game article. It's been really nice to hear Biruta and Buchanan express how happy they are for their younger teammates and the future of this program. They won't be here, but they understand where this program is likely headed and how important their role has been in that process.

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... S/?Start=1
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

can watch the replay for free on espn3.com
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

From Iona's thread:

"Rhode Island's arena was impressive, but their fans not so much. Lots of booing, even during Pre-game lay-ups. Tasteless signs. 40 minutes of whining at the refs . Booed the refs as they left the court and as they returned to the court at halftime. I wouldn't go back. The dateless guys under the basket reminded me of the worst HS teams I used to play against. On the positive side, I guess you could say they were passionate. Not what I expected."

This makes me feel so good. 2600 in the building, no students...and we're making away fans uncomfortable. Welcome back home court advantage. We've missed you. Hats off to all - hopefully we have another one or two of these games to add to the fun!

*also - calling our fans "dateless guys" when your cheerleaders look like they collectively did 100 meter sprints in a 90 meter gym, and had a lot of recovery time on the couch, is a questionable strategy. Woof.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We were at International Pockets before the game and a couple of
Iona people came in.
I asked them if they were going to the game, hoping to strike up
a conversation.
They walked right past me, as if I were a ghost.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Just put up a couple pics on my IG feed, more later....have a pic of RhodyJay having a "chat" with one of the refs and the Iona cheerleaders....I'll work on that one later. Off to deal with real life stuff now....

RE game, good show last night, unbeatable value for $10....I had crowd pegged at about 4200 and agree the noise level was pretty decent.

I didn't hear the Iona dance team get booed....no one around me booed them that's for sure or the Iona cheer squad, again good show all around. The officiating was at the high school level though IMHO....actually most high school games I see are called better.

My guess we would win the MAAC.....I'm thinking we should push the ball more, though the defense played by Iona was zip.
Last edited by hrstrat57 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Using some selective position assigning, crazy how much our backcourt dominated the game.

Frontcourt (Hass/Gil/Earl/Jarelle): 5-17 from the field, 14 total points
Backcourt (TJ eventhoughhe'sbasicallyourbackuppowerforward/Biggie/Jarvis/EC/Jared/Butler): 24-56, 74 pts.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:From Iona's thread:

"Rhode Island's arena was impressive, but their fans not so much. Lots of booing, even during Pre-game lay-ups. Tasteless signs. 40 minutes of whining at the refs . Booed the refs as they left the court and as they returned to the court at halftime. I wouldn't go back. The dateless guys under the basket reminded me of the worst HS teams I used to play against. On the positive side, I guess you could say they were passionate. Not what I expected."

This makes me feel so good. 2600 in the building, no students...and we're making away fans uncomfortable. Welcome back home court advantage. We've missed you. Hats off to all - hopefully we have another one or two of these games to add to the fun!

*also - calling our fans "dateless guys" when your cheerleaders look like they collectively did 100 meter sprints in a 90 meter gym, and had a lot of recovery time on the couch, is a questionable strategy. Woof.
Love reading things like this. I want our crowd to be known as hostile. I want opposing fans and teams to be uncomfortable. That is the hallmark of a real home court advantage. We already have this reputation among A10 fans.

The Ryan Center should be a lions den. I want opposing teams peeing down their leg in fear before the game
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

Love reading things like this. I want our crowd to be known as hostile. I want opposing fans and teams to be uncomfortable. That is the hallmark of a real home court advantage. We already have this reputation among A10 fans.

The Ryan Center should be a lions den. I want opposing teams peeing down their leg in fear before the game
What does "dateless guys" mean? The cheerleaders-- WOW. Tasteless signs? What is this supposed to be, a church group? I'm not sure why the Iona fans would take offense to "booing" at another team's home arena. I could understand if it was a high school game.

I also thought it was a bad idea for the Iona dance team to be sitting right with The Ruckus. The dance team should have been behind Iona's bench since there were tons of empty seats there.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I've heard that NIT numbers are usually on the lighter side, since the home team needs to pay a portion of the ticket proceeds. That number represents paid bodies in the building (and students). A normal games attendance number will usually also include season ticket holders (even if they aren't there) as well as freebies/give aways.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm in the minority -- I think playing at Stanford would be great.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

WHY?
So some swells can make a trip to SF?
We stand a 100% better chance of winning, if they travel 3,000 miles,
instead of our gassed team going there.
I'm sure Dan Hurley and everyone in URI Athletics hopes somehow, we
get them at home.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

and with students back a chance at 6,000 for that game. Plus a rabid alumni base that remembers 1998 and will be into the game. Could be best crowd ever in Ryan center history. PERFECT STORM!!!!!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

If you want to prep your young team for a NCAA experience, then you want the team to travel out West for this game. It will closely simulate the travel needed. Next year, they play in the A-10 championship, find out where you're headed that night and then travel quickly and probably out of region to play your next game. Only Dayton gets home games without being a 1 seed, ha ha.

Now, if you want revenge for a game played 17 years ago where most of our team and students were between the ages of 1-5, then enjoy. The game will only truly benefit those fans who witnessed the horror of that final minute in 1998 complete with a horseshoe bank shot 3, a mugging of a Cat, an 0-3 at the line and a miscommunication leading to errand pass.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think the travel to Stanford perceived benefit is much smaller than you state, Sweep. You might have been able to argue had we traveled there for last night's game, which would have simulated the quick turnaround from Sunday to Tuesday night.

If they go to Stanford, it would be a charter from what I understand provided by NIT.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'd like to win this thing. THAT would be a great experience for the team,
and preparing for next season.
Losing their second game, accomplished zero.
The team spent 3 days in NYC in a pro venue.
They've traveled to Florida this year.
Our guys are banged up and tired.
Going to Palo Alto, for "experience", is counterproductive.
Talking to people around the program after the game,
not one person was psyched about going to Stanford.
Same people hoped Stanford would lose, to get another
game at the RC.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

neil wrote:Fun game to watch! Biggie was from another planet. How about cloning that for next year? Loved our freshman point guard who, for the most part, is no longer a first year player. There has got to be a message some where when the laid back alumni boo the refs off the court at half time. The Gaels had 24 foul shot attempts after twenty minutes. Did watch the first half of Stanford/Davis. Hope we get the game here, but Stanford is beatable. Go Rhody!
I've always said this about Biggie. He plays his best and sometimes fantastic when it's up tempo and in space against a lower conference team. It's the halfcourt game where he looks completely lost and doesn't seem fully engaged and makes bad decisions and lazy passes.

I think he would benefit playing in Iona's offense and conference.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

ATPTourFan wrote:I think the travel to Stanford perceived benefit is much smaller than you state, Sweep. You might have been able to argue had we traveled there for last night's game, which would have simulated the quick turnaround from Sunday to Tuesday night.

If they go to Stanford, it would be a charter from what I understand provided by NIT.
Closely simulate, not exact. You're not getting home games in the NCAA was my main point. I want them to travel far and get that experience in a postseason tournament.

If they're beaten down and gassed right now, it could provide a great gut-check moment for them if they pull it off. I like the challenge of it.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rod and I would argue that getting to MSG would best simulate NCAAs. But gotta win some games yet to enjoy that.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

ATPTourFan wrote:Rod and I would argue that getting to MSG would best simulate NCAAs. But gotta win some games yet to enjoy that.
True, but you know that we aren't being sent to the East if we make the NCAAs next year.

NYC is a 3 hour drive, that isn't exactly a brutal travel location for us.

We didn't do that well when we were in Orlando. Got beat up by Kansas and lost to a bad GT team. And people said our game against Dayton in the A-10 semis was one of the worst we played. So, there is something to be said for going away from home when this tournament provides that opportunity. We know we can compete and win at home against almost anyone.

I like the experience of the NIT, but won't be heartbroken if we don't win. Like getting a 1st round home game, so the fans can thank the team and get cheer them on. But, from that point on, I want them on the road to gain valuable experience and play in different arenas.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We're traveling to Cancun next year. I'll take that as prep for a long trip.
Last edited by Billyboy78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote:Were traveling to Cancun next year. I'll take that as prep for a long trip.
Cancun has become a scary place outside of the resorts.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Were traveling to Cancun next year. I'll take that as prep for a long trip.
Cancun has become a scary place outside of the resorts.

Has been for a while now. I personally would never go to Cancun because there are so many other more desirable places to travel to, but I would travel there for Rhody Basketball.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Its a win/win, go on the road and dig deep to get a win.

Elite A10 teams go on the road and beat the middle of the P5.

Stay home and raise the chances of getting back to NYC.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The only sign I would imagine the Iona fans found offensive was the play on words with Coach Cluess' name.....the sign read "Clue-less".....but I would imagine that he has gotten this many times on the road....if not on a sign then it was shouted at him.....

....as I stated on another thread....I liked the Iona spirit squads.....they embraced diversity in size, shape, color and tradition.....maybe I am too much of a hippie who doesn't like bullies.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

hrstrat57 wrote:Just put up a couple pics on my IG feed, more later....have a pic of RhodyJay having a "chat" with one of the refs and the Iona cheerleaders....I'll work on that one later. Off to deal with real life stuff now....

RE game, good show last night, unbeatable value for $10....I had crowd pegged at about 4200 and agree the noise level was pretty decent.

I didn't hear the Iona dance team get booed....no one around me booed them that's for sure or the Iona cheer squad, again good show all around. The officiating was at the high school level though IMHO....actually most high school games I see are called better.

My guess we would win the MAAC.....I'm thinking we should push the ball more, though the defense played by Iona was zip.
hrstrat57, can you provide the link to your pics?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Dave does a nice job covering URI Athletics on RhodyRampage

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

Once upon a time, there were gyms known as "snake pits" throughout the Northeast. Opposing teams dreaded playing in places like Curry Hicks Cage, the Palestra and (before renovations and fire codes) Keaney Gym, where the home team was good, the seats were on top of the court and the fans were of questionable psychological health. Buildings like the Mullins Center and the Dunkin' Dump will never be like that because the seats are too far from the court, but when we start winning consistently and the fans show up every night we'll have an old-fashioned snake pit (and with more than one men's room).
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes Red!! We're getting there.
0 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Getting to MSG would be a great practice session for next year. Another trip to NY, big arena, hopefully some turnout in the later games. It let's the younger players become accustomed to "bigger games." The nice thing is that it is a stepping stone not a destination.

I am very much hoping that Stanford comes here but for some reason I can't see that happening. Still keeping my fingers crossed. From Stanford's perspective they lose the revenue at the game and then pay to travel, so they will do everything to avoid that. Imagine though...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Welcome back, XC Runner.
0 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Thank you! It has been 996 days.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

URI_IEP wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Just put up a couple pics on my IG feed, more later....have a pic of RhodyJay having a "chat" with one of the refs and the Iona cheerleaders....I'll work on that one later. Off to deal with real life stuff now....

hrstrat57 on Instagram

I'll try and post a few more soon, have pics up from multiple games this season

Edit, got a few more posted just now, mostly the view from s 311.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
BlueSuitMan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BlueSuitMan »

"no students" wasn't quite true. We had a small number of students there, but at least from my perspective it seemed like we were a passionate few. Would've been much better if it weren't break obviously, and if we get the home game third round, expect a good student turnout.

Also, like some of you have said, I love for it to feel hostile for the other team. Makes them uncomfortable and hopefully make mistakes.

Finally, definitely an awful spot to put their dance team, right in the first two rows of the Ruckus section. Not only did they steal my (and my peer's) seats, but they probably felt harassed because of our yelling.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: 2015 NIT 1st Round: Iona - St Patrick's Day on ESPNU

Unread post by Ramulous »

I thought it a bit strange for Iona to bring their spirit squads to our home....a neutral tournament site, yes, but not the first 3 games of the NIT....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think somebody said they haven't won a postseason [NIT or NCAA] game in 30 years.

Maybe they didn't know how to act.....ha ha
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

hrstrat57 wrote:
URI_IEP wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Just put up a couple pics on my IG feed, more later....have a pic of RhodyJay having a "chat" with one of the refs and the Iona cheerleaders....I'll work on that one later..
hrstrat57 on Instagram

I'll try and post a few more soon, have pics up from multiple games this season

Edit, got a few more posted just now, mostly the view from s 311.....
Thanks hrstrat57!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

3 made field goals through 10+ minutes of the PC/Dayton game. Say what you will about Iona's defense but I'll take their style of play over this garbage any day. Really hard to watch.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. I was almost offended watching English waddle towards the defense zone on a few different occasions, putting his team at a massive disadvantage defensively so he was ready for a transition to to offense. And sitting behind their bench, Cluess didn't seem to have any issue with it. Net hanging is ok in intramural floor hockey, but it has no place in Division one competition. While Iona's style might be easier to watch, I'll take ugly with effort over pretty and lazy any day.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Which is all a long way of saying, if I'm watching a game with two teams I don't care about I probably would rather it be two Ionas, but I don't want my team to play like them at all.
0 x