A-10 Tournament Quarterfinal - GW - Friday 9:00pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: A-10 Tournament Quarterfinal - GW - Friday 9:00pm

Unread post by adam914 »

Hey lets hear it for Jarvis Garrett. Absolutely enormous game for the freshman. 12 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists and those 3's he hit were so damn huge.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Great win! That being said, these refs need to be investigated. I've never seen anything like it.
Seriously Billyboy, it is unbelievable. They should lose their jobs after tonight.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

20 points from our freshmen was huge. Jarvis had 12 and Terrell 8. They had been a bit quiet as the season ended. Nice to see them rebound.

Scoring was very spread out tonight with seven players getting 5pts or more.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Let the kids play

Noone wants to watch 60+ FTs
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

That was the hardest effort I have ever seen in college basketball in all my years. And it was needed because that was the most one sided officiating ever.
I remember a foul called on a jump shot which was made by GW and there wasn't a URI player within four feet of him. and then the two techs and then that final foul call on the three was a joke. Unbelievable effort guys. We are so proud of you. Do it twice more and your in the Dance.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Don't expect better refs tomo - they just can't find refs apparently that know the difference between good D and a foul.
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Gut check win. These are the games you need to win to be taken seriously as a program. It's no fluke we were a top-3 seed. Now 3 teams left that beat us. I'm looking forward to another crack at Dayton away from the Arena.

Pros:
- Defense. What an effort in the 2nd half. Pretty much zero easy looks for GW in the last 20 minutes.
- Jarvis keeps the game from getting away from us in the 1st half with 2 HUGE 3's. And another big one in the 2nd half.
- EC: 10-11 from the line, made a big 3, took it to the bucket strong and FINISHED.
- Gil made some very big shots. I feel like he's sometimes too soft going up for rebounds, but nice game from him.

50/50:
- Biggie is a disaster from the FT line, but had 5 boards, 2 steals and a great assist on a fast break.
- Hassan couldn't get it going offensively tonight combined with foul trouble. But 5 blocks and a defensive presence in the 2nd half.
- JT made some nice long jumpers but sometimes is just too aggressive and picks up fouls. But I wouldn't change the way he plays, he's a beast.
- TJ is true leader once again. Needs to clean up the FT's. Great D.

Cons:
- The refs. Seriously. Awful.
- We needed something from Earl and Jarelle and they gave us nothing.
- Too many offensive boards for GW but many of them were pretty flukey.

Give me the Flyers. We punched our NIT ticket tonight for anyone who cares, but let's win two more and play in a different tournament instead.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: A-10 TournWowament Quarterfinal - GW - Friday 9:00pm

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! That was as gritty and gutsy as any game I've seen us play
in memory.
Just absolutely wore GW out. They had nothing left after the 7 minute mark.
Two technicals, Martin and Terrell in foul trouble. 15 free throws missed.
Yet the defense held GW to 6% on 3s! 31% overall.
Refs called everything all night. Guess they think all those people at
The Barclay Center, paid to see them blow their whistles.
Just an incredible effort by our guys!
Jarvis Garrett will be a star. Anyone want to knock him after tonight?
Anyone think we're better off with Gil and Hassan taking 3s?
A total team effort.
I can't wait until 4:00, when we beat Dayton, and move on to the finals, Sunday!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Never been more proud of a team in my life. Everything went against us it seemed tonight and all we did was win by 13 points. Got outrebounded, bad from the free throw line, Hassan and Terrell in foul trouble and we still found a way to win by 13. So fired up right now!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Somebody said earlier, that the refs swallowed their whistles for the other 3 games today.

Well, they must have saved them all for our game.

I really think the refs are intimidated by our aggressiveness.

They are afraid to let anything close to a foul go.

Dan's not about to let up either. Just wait until we get more depth. It's not going to stop.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This is the reason I think these refs need to be investigated. The 3rd fouls on both Hass and Jared were phantom calls, sending both players to the bench early in the 2nd half. Something is funny there. But we're still in the game a few minutes later. Then the phantom call and tech on EC, sending him to the bench. It's not that they were just bad calls, all three were potentially game changing calls. That just looks very shady to me. Fortunately our ballsy team overcame them. Suck it, refs.
0 x
Wayne
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Wayne »

What a great win tonight from our guys! Just a great all around performance ESPECIALLY on the defensive end!

Now let's get focused psyched for tomorrow and get #OnToDayton trending on Twitter!!! 2 wins and we're IN!!!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Awesome, now I'm lucky friggin trump has ncbs as one of his channels so at the bar it didn,t cost me more than 700 to keep the last of sbu/day and URI past close on (let me tell ya the southern boys kept asking what conference are they in) FU!. Now tomorrow there is some tourney so my 1pm tee time sucks. But wish me luck cuse when after 9 I'm walking. Honey sorry I'll meetin THE RAMS. I think we'll be the 1st DNF on the BLUE MONSTER since the upgrade.

LET"S GO RHODY!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We won cause we were the better team......the refs do what they do......we have A-10 level refs.... Just win the next game.....Did I mention earlier in the season Jarvis should have started sooner?....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Could be worse. PC lost a game tonight on a foul that was identical
to Luther Clay's non foul on Mark Madsen.
Just one player passing another under the basket, without even touching.
We were fortunate that we didn't let the rotten refs take a win
away from us.
Now we need them to swallow those whistles against Dayton.
This playing large chunks of our game without Martin and Terrell,
sets us back in every way.
Just heard from my favorite assistant coach, reminding me of an
old conversation we had, about Jarvis Garrett and what a special player he's
going to become.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Awesome win tonight. Lets not lose sight of Biggie's performance, who has been incredibly frustrating st times this year but really made some key plays. Outside of the missed wide open dunk he had a solid game and helped cover for the foul issues Terrell was dealing with. 5 pts, 5 rebs, 2 asts, 2 stls, 1 block, 1 to.

Also, credit to Garrett as noted previously. Led the team in minutes and put up the tremendous 12-6-6 stat line.

EC limited his turnovers as well which has been a point of contention on the board this year. Just an all around awesome victory for Rhody. 2 more baby!!!

The refs were terrible both ways but as bad as they were, URI shot 44 free throws!

Where are people in RI watching the game tomorrow?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Oh Rhody, why do you give me headaches? We were up by 7 and it still felt we were down by 2. Always a struggle. Always a grind. Love our Rams, but life expectancy for ATP and myself was rapidly decreasing as the game against GW progressed.
Hard fought win. It took a while for Rhody to pull away, but they pulled it off.

Garret played with some donkey sized cajones and pretty much slapped GW in the face with them. Drained 3 HUGE 3pt shots at key points in the game. Kid came up BIG!

If Terell is "Ice Man", Garret is "Maverick".

Solid team effort in this game. After Gil stopped doing dumb moves with the ball he played well defensively. TJ played...well...like TJ. Biggie had some big moments and layups. In all of the games where we needed that kid to perform, he finally did.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Kingston wrote:I may have to sac up and drive down just to avoid hearing ben howland call another game.
Won't need to worry about that, cuz different TV network tomorrow -- CBS Sports Network -- means different announcers.

Thank goodness Cox finally added CBS Sports Net in HD last month! It's a sign!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Deeeeffense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tremendous effort.... 2 more games of that tenacity and who knows... The better team won that game..
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bobby's in the MAC final tomorrow.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The one positive with the horrendous calls. It held down some of the minutes of Hass and Jared. Could be a blessing, fresher legs tomorrow afternoon.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Happy team...

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Great point Billyboy. Also, Dayton's game went down to the last few seconds. No rest for any of them.

Hopefully EC has no lingering foot issues, back to back [and maybe another] games could be tough on him.

We will need to put Dayton away like we did GW.

One things's for sure, it's going to be a lot closer than the last time we played them....
Last edited by rambone 78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Please please please no Jarelle against Dayton. There is absolutely no Dayton player he can defend.............
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The Rams trailed by as many as six. They battled foul trouble, offensive droughts and frustration that boiled over into technical fouls, but their play at the defensive end was a constant. The Colonials shot just 21 percent from the field in the second half, and the Rams eventually seized their opportunity, out-scoring George Washington 32-15 in the final 11 minutes.

“I thought our defense today was as good as it's been all year, especially in the second half,” URI head coach Dan Hurley said.

0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Like to see the refs swallow their whistles and Howland swallow the refs. What a tool. Never heard a supposedly nonbiased color man rooting so hard for a team.

Great game. Best D of the year. JR, please graduate and get the fuck out of RI.
I noticed only 1 mistake for JG. Pretty freakin' good for a freshman pg in his first tournament.
Please start making free throws.
What are the odds Hass has 2 bad games in a row?
Kill Dayton!!!!!
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Just got back to my hotel from the game. It was an absolute blast to be there and looking forward to going back tomorrow. It was awkward having the GW folks sit right next to out section. My brother can't help himself from taunting the other teams fans.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

Thank god

Rod I saw the end of the PC game also, horrible call they got screwed
I'm starting think these conferences do their best to protect their seeds at this point.
That being said this game smelled fishy, as the fix ref from the nba said( his name escapes me). You don't fix it at the end you fix it with calls early to get the guys out. Just watched Notre Dame have to over come crazy foul calls to put down duke in the ACC. These conference like to protect their seeds

And yes I've been watching to much basketball and starting to develop these crazy conspiracy ideas that the world is out to screw uri. I'm moving back to my parents basement
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

We will beat Dayton tomorrow. I am not letting up now, regardless of the refs. HOW CAN WE HAVE SO MANY MORE FREE THROWS AND STILL FEEL LIKE WE WERE SCREWED BY THE REFS ALL NIGHT?
Last edited by RAM67 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I was watching at Charlie O's, and the cable feed cut out with about two minutes left - The Internet went down for them, which juices the cable and credit card system, so it was a tense couple of minutes as I followed the game on my phone for a bit. Good win for Rhody though! They just completely wear teams down.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, now the A10 needs to have a sit down with the refs for our game tomorrow and tell them this:

OK, Dayton is in the Dance, along with Davidson and VCU. Doesn't matter who wins that game. URI has to win it all to Dance. We want 4 bids.

Now go, and do what you have to do. In other words, foul out the entire Dayton team. Thank you.

Ha ha.

Conspiracy theories, indeed.....
Last edited by rambone 78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote:I was watching at Charlie O's, and the cable feed cut out with about two minutes left - The Internet went down for them, which juices the cable and credit card system, so it was a tense couple of minutes as I followed the game on my phone for a bit. Good win for Rhody though! They just completely wear teams down.
Wow I would have lost it!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:I was watching at Charlie O's, and the cable feed cut out with about two minutes left - The Internet went down for them, which juices the cable and credit card system, so it was a tense couple of minutes as I followed the game on my phone for a bit. Good win for Rhody though! They just completely wear teams down.
It got restored with about 45 seconds left. I was considerably less on edge because by then, I knew URI was about by 10ish, haha.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
Probably Yuta's fault. Everything bad is Yuta's fault.

Also, GW shot 6% from 3. Six.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:Probably Yuta's fault. Everything bad is Yuta's fault
I mean yeah, what else could it be?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hel yeah Elm City! Fuck them flyer fuckers! Ain't none of them can actually fly a plane anyway!
We're gonna go full Marquis Jones on their ass!
Somebody needs to bring a sign on Marquis Jones In the process of hitting that backwards layup from 2009.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Most important Rhody victory in many years. Great contingent of Rhody fans in BK, visible in the streets, loud, that's what happens when you win.

Gutty win, never felt threatened though Garrett's 2 threes in first half, when we could have fallen behind by more, were huge shots.

EC with a quiet 21, that is when we are at our best. When he doesn't force the action, and others are instigating offense. TJ playing like every game could be his last. Double figures in 3 of his last 4.

This team is so fun to watch, they literally all seem to like each other, you can see it in person, in pictures and on TV.

We have a brand of basketball, tonight was it. Grinding defense, stay close, wear you down, timely offense from many contributors. When we win that's the formula. Dayton plays pretty ball, contrast of style tomorrow.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Biggie had a great game last night, one ill advised pass into the paint was his only break down, I don't expect him to light it up from the charity stripe. Otherwise he was confident, even strong, aggressively handled the pressure, which turns the pressure worm and puts the other teams D on its heals and most importantly Biggie's defensive play was excellent.

Also wanted to comment on Gil's play from last night, I thought he had one of his best defensive games of his Rhody career, with Martin in foul trouble Gil stayed focused and won his position battles all night, it was huge for Rhody, he anchored our front line as well as I could have hoped. In the first couple of minutes I thought Larsen was going to have his way with us, but we handled him and everything else G dub threw at us.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree RR, I thought Biggie gave a solid performance considering Terrell got into foul trouble.
To put Free Throw Shooting per perspective for this game............
We shot 65.9% (29-44) which was slightly better than our season average of 65.1%
We missed 15 which is a lot, but we shot a huge 44 total FTs. Most we have shot in a single game all year was 37 in the win over Richmond.

Our average number of FT attempts per game is 25.

But take away EC who was a great 10-11 (and was also 2-2 in the last St Joe game) and Rhody drops to only 19-33 for only 57.6% therein lies the Ouch.
Interesting in the end Dan was pulling EC on defense and putting him in on offense obviously wanting him in to potentially get the intentional fouls by GW as they played from behind.
Not worried about JT going 0-2 as he has been hot on FTs in conference play
Others its pretty much been the case all year.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Running Ram hit the nail on the head. Gil played one of the best defensive performances of his career last night. That's what you want your seniors to do.

What a great fucking win.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

OMG Riots?!?!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That's a beautifully low number for GW's points per possession. I'd have to check, but it could be the lowest number we held any opponent to all season.

http://www.bbstate.com/games/2015-03-13/GW-URI
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:0.78

That's a beautifully low number for GW's points per possession. I'd have to check, but it could be the lowest number we held any opponent to all season.

http://www.bbstate.com/games/2015-03-13/GW-URI
HFS. Great stat.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:
Another big day for the Hurleys and Christion. Besides URI and Buffalo, St. Anthony's playing for Jersey state championship, and Christion's Madison Prep playing for Louisiana state championship. 4 for 4 would be awesome!
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Posted this in the "Ref" thread, but it looks like it could go here as well.

Just out of curiosity I checked out the GW forum. Guess what they were complaining about. The awful refs who were (in their opinion) screwing them, and (in their opinion) the fact that Hurley had them in his back pocket (especially in the second half). I know they're frustrating, but let's not become a fan base that blames the refs. They're always there and they're usually not to our liking (or the other team's fans liking). URI needs to do exactly what they did last night, take them out of the game. No excuses!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

That's what it's all about. Relaxed team that's having fun. We got this today.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Take away the 4 technical free throw points and then figure out the points per possession........
0 x