Game #29: St Joseph's - Saturday 1:45p - SENIOR DAY

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Re: Game #29: St Joseph's - Saturday 1:45p - SENIOR DAY

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Perfect day in Kingston. From the tear jerker video to Eric's floater.

How far this program has come in 3 years is a tribute to the Administration and Dan Hurley. People care again and we have good kids that we can care about. My 12 yo son is taking in his first season as I refused to allow him to watch the fraud, whose name shall never be mentioned again. My son had to have a Hassan jersey and he is now hooked.

TJ - thank you!!! Class act and well wishes to you and your son.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

Just wanted to give my observations on attending my first basketball game in Kingston in 49 years.

On the advise of the board I ordered tickets on line with zero hassle. I stayed with my daughter in Mass. Friday night and we drove down Saturday morning, arriving around 10:30. I took her on a walking tour of the older parts of the campus showing her class rooms, dorms, the Union, the athletic complex and the two fraternity houses I lived in. We headed down the line for lunch. Sadly, Giros had ceased to exist so being short of time we looked for something on the main drag in Wakefield - a place called Rhody Joes. The first black mark was the hostess wearing a PC sweatshirt - in a place named Rhody no less. Anyway the beer was cold and the pastromi sandwich adequate. We then headed for the Ryan Center.

We parked in the North Lot with good access to the venue. Our seats were in 214 next to the band and students which was nice. What a fantastic arena. Rhode Island finally got something right. What can you say additionally about the classy senior day ceremonies. My only ovservation would be to see if they can play the Lithuanian national anthem before the games in Brooklyn. That sure fired up Gil. We really enjoyed the atmosphere - especially the band and students. I tought they could have turned down the loudspeakers a bit, but I'm sure it's a 21st century thing. The band would have sufficed - and there was enough energy in the building. Things got better basketball wise after a slow start. Also those TV timeouts certainly took away some of the flow of the gane, but at least they had stuff to entertain the multitudes.

You couldnt have scripted those last few minutes any better if you tried. My daughter was very impressed with the whole experience. We did get caught in the traffic for a while, as we headed over to Route 2 but the win made it easier. Interesting that the police were sitting in their car rather than directing traffic at the 138 junction.

Arive back in Maine around 8:30.

In summary - a great experience. I'll be back next year. A big thank you to Coach Hurley for bringing back some pride and spirit to Rhody alumni!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Awesome to hear of your great shared experiences Maineiac!!

I haven't posted about this game yet because I still am not sure I have the words. I, like some others that have admitted as much, could not hold back the tears during the senior ceremony when TJ's fiance hit the big screen. As the faithful know the rest of the day could not have been scripted any better, from the slow start right down to the amazing last floater. Speaking as someone invested in this team, dollar for dollar that may have been my best afternoon of 'entertainment' in recent memory.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

BOOM!!!

0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Prayers to Javon Baumann and his family.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

IN YOUR FACE!!!!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Maineiac66 wrote:Just wanted to give my observations on attending my first basketball game in Kingston in 49 years.

On the advise of the board I ordered tickets on line with zero hassle. I stayed with my daughter in Mass. Friday night and we drove down Saturday morning, arriving around 10:30. I took her on a walking tour of the older parts of the campus showing her class rooms, dorms, the Union, the athletic complex and the two fraternity houses I lived in. We headed down the line for lunch. Sadly, Giros had ceased to exist so being short of time we looked for something on the main drag in Wakefield - a place called Rhody Joes. The first black mark was the hostess wearing a PC sweatshirt - in a place named Rhody no less. Anyway the beer was cold and the pastromi sandwich adequate. We then headed for the Ryan Center.

We parked in the North Lot with good access to the venue. Our seats were in 214 next to the band and students which was nice. What a fantastic arena. Rhode Island finally got something right. What can you say additionally about the classy senior day ceremonies. My only ovservation would be to see if they can play the Lithuanian national anthem before the games in Brooklyn. That sure fired up Gil. We really enjoyed the atmosphere - especially the band and students. I tought they could have turned down the loudspeakers a bit, but I'm sure it's a 21st century thing. The band would have sufficed - and there was enough energy in the building. Things got better basketball wise after a slow start. Also those TV timeouts certainly took away some of the flow of the gane, but at least they had stuff to entertain the multitudes.

You couldnt have scripted those last few minutes any better if you tried. My daughter was very impressed with the whole experience. We did get caught in the traffic for a while, as we headed over to Route 2 but the win made it easier. Interesting that the police were sitting in their car rather than directing traffic at the 138 junction.

Arive back in Maine around 8:30.

In summary - a great experience. I'll be back next year. A big thank you to Coach Hurley for bringing back some pride and spirit to Rhody alumni!
I believe the cops control the traffic light from inside their vehicles.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

that's gonna leave a mark!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Senior day pics are up. These are special-

http://www.photobyfriday.com/Sports/Bas ... RI-St-Joes
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They certainly are - thanks for posting
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:Senior day pics are up. These are special-

http://www.photobyfriday.com/Sports/Bas ... RI-St-Joes
No pic of the Youncofski floater!!! There were a couple good ones of him in there though. Great pics.
0 x