Game #26: Davidson - Wednesday @ 7pm - PINK OUT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #26: Davidson - Wednesday @ 7pm - PINK OUT

Unread post by RF1 »

This loss stings just as bad this morning as it did seconds after it ended. Would have, could have, should have...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, those rims are tight, you're right. We need to ask someone who can speak off the record.

Maybe it was done to make it tougher on Davidson's 3 pt. shooting. Whatever, it worked.

However, it KILLED ours too. And FT's.

Since we're the worse long distance shooting team by far, why was it done?

And then, if it was, why did we try 19 3's, when they weren't falling either?

As for the FT's, we have to hit all net, or they don't go in. Poor ball rotation, with a tight rim, dooms any shot otherwise.

We were 0-8 first half on 3's. WHY did we keep shooting them in the 2nd half?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Game was lost in a stretch from 11 minutes to 8 where URI played great D and kept Davidson from scoring on 6 straight possessions but URI didn't score with a lot of stupid offensive possessions.
But up 4 with the ball and 1 minute to go, you win 9 out of 10 times, which is why this hurts.
(Can URI stop winding up for dunks on breakaways? Instead we get fouled and miss a FT.)
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Rod, those rims are tight, you're right. We need to ask someone who can speak off the record.

Maybe it was done to make it tougher on Davidson's 3 pt. shooting. Whatever, it worked.

As for the FT's, we have to hit all net, or they don't go in. Poor ball rotation, with a tight rim, dooms any shot otherwise.

Most of URI's threes were way off the mark. Only bigger baskets would've helped.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And so were the FT misses by Hassan and Biggie. Just turrible, as someone would say.

STOP shooting the fuckers [3's I mean] when they aren't even close. Go inside more. We do that, we aren't in position to gag the game away at the end.

We were getting the ball inside just about every time we wanted. We didn't want to enough, and that got us beat.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Rod, those rims are tight, you're right. We need to ask someone who can speak off the record.

Most of URI's threes were way off the mark. Only bigger baskets would've helped.
or a smaller ball. Most 3's were way off and many FTs were way off as well.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The only shots I remember popping out were by Garrett and that's because he tends to put too much spin on the ball. The other misses were clanks.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I guess it was the sleeves then.

I don't really believe that, but we need to retire those jerseys permanently, if not longer. :)
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

This loss stings more then any other one I can remember, maybe even more than the Matt Glass pick on Lamonte Ulmer. Tried sleeping it off but it didnt work. Still hurts.

Season is still alive but it'll take a run through the A10 tourney. This team can do it. There's not a team I've seen us play this season which I'm scared of on a neutral court. Let's lock down the bye and get it done in Brooklyn.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The score was 47-40 forever.
We kept them from scoring and kept ourselves from scoring.
We also spent the first quarter or so of the game,
looking at their zone, like we'd never seen one before.
TJ changed all that.
I think as soon as we see a zone, we should put TJ in at the high post.
I'm with NJ03. I didn't get to sleep until around 2:30.
That game really bothered me.
It's Brooklyn or NIT. Doesn't matter too much what happens in the next
three games, other than playing for pride.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Oh man that sucked. Really thought they had this one being up 4 with under a minute.

After hitting their 1st FT of the game & then rattling off 6 straight misses you knew it was going to be a bad night from the line. It's so painful when you lose by 2 & you shoot under 50% from the line.

On the positive side of thing, Hassan Martin is a beast. Another outstanding game from him. Although Garrett's shot wasn't falling, 5 assists & 0 turnovers, nicely done. And the Ryan Center was rocking even though they were 1500 short of a sellout.

I guess on the brightside, EC didn't turn the ball over on their final possession. :|
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There's a lot more than just pride to play for these last three games. Let's go get a fucking A10 regular season championship banner!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

A lot of things have to happen for us to win the regular season
A-10. There are three other teams, with limited time left.
Davidson and VCU play each other, so one loses another game.
Davidson and VCU own tie breakers over us.
That would be nice, but I was speaking in terms of RPI and an NCAA
invite.
That's not happening. Win in Brooklyn or it's the NIT.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:The score was 47-40 forever.
We kept them from scoring and kept ourselves from scoring.
We also spent the first quarter or so of the game,
looking at their zone, like we'd never seen one before.
TJ changed all that.
I think as soon as we see a zone, we should put TJ in at the high post.
I'm with NJ03. I didn't get to sleep until around 2:30.
That game really bothered me.
It's Brooklyn or NIT. Doesn't matter too much what happens in the next
three games, other than playing for pride.
Would like to see TJ get Biggie's minutes. He hasn't played well in awhile.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Much as I like Gilvydas as a person, I think
it's time to give HIS time to TJ.
Biggie contributes on defense, and generally doesn't
turn the ball over.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, URI teams really have a knack for getting people's hopes up, and then ripping them away in spectacular fashion.

This game ended as almost a carbon copy of the St. Joes game.

When are we going to stop losing games like this?

We do just enough to lose. We play great D, and still get beat on a fortunate bounce and big shot. It never fails, especially in BIG games like this.

Other than the Fordham game, WHEN are we going to make the last shot to win a game?

Good teams find a way to win these. We're not good enough to win them, yet.

Even if we had won last night, would any of us feel great about that shooting display?
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Gil was awful last night, just a bad matchup as he is not athletic enough to guard that motion offense....So now that it is Brooklyn or bust do we think about resting EC and his foot until the tournament?
0 x
Clapton is God
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Much as I like Gilvydas as a person, I think
it's time to give HIS time to TJ.
Biggie contributes on defense, and generally doesn't
turn the ball over.
It's amazing URI had a chance to win given the shooting percentages and play of Gil, Biggie and Terrell
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This is now, and not any other era in the program's history.
We are not '78, or the Stanford game.
These are young players in a rising program.
We are a good, but offensively flawed team.
We are what we are, and people expecting us to suddenly become
the 1995 UCLA Bruins, are nuts.
If we won, I wouldn't care about missing any of those shots.
It would mean we found a way to win.
End of story.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod and Iggy, we need to go with our best. Guys who step it up in big games.

Our core 4, plus TJ. You're both right. Plus, I would feel a lot better with TJ at the line instead of Biggie.

Biggie needs to play less against the better teams, not more.

He disappeared at the end of last season. He looks like he's doing it again.

Last thing: Jarvis and Terrell picked a bad time to have a bad game together.

That stat where JT scores in double digits, and we win?

89, we do that, and we risk even the NIT. Not a good idea.
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Onn the record - A great basketball game. Ride home stunk - what a way to lose but you could see it coming with the Free Throws. What a comeback and what a crowd. For the lack of a sellout the RC was as loud as it has ever been. When you watch the replay - when JT took the drive and passed to Hass with a little less than a minute left....Hass was 1 v 4 on the drive towards the basket....OK he did get fouled but we took zero time off the clock. We miss 2 FT and they come down and waste little time and get the layup and one after it.

Jarvis gets the lob into Hass - but he was kind of stuck - if that ball hangs a little more or the lob is higher so that he can lay it in or dunk it - Game over. Even on the 2nd missed FT by Hass - EC gets his hands on a good part of the ball - he had better position on the rebound and it just bounced the wrong way.

Gibbs hits a killer 3 - give him credit - great fake to drive and step back.

Our last play gave JT a perfect shot - loved that they didnt go to EC. Maybe JT could have driven - watching the replay Jarvis doesnt have much and even off the JT miss - Hass was being swarmed by the Davidson guys. Looks like Jarvis could have knocked it out of Hass's hands too just trying to get after it.

All in all - GREAT COLLEGE BBALL GAME.............just blows that we cant get over the hump. That game was trampoline to the Dance folks.

I agree with some of the posts - lots of pride and positioning left in the remaining 3 games. Lets send a message and bring the iron hammer in Brooklyn.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Was last night a nightmare? No? We really lost like that? UGH.

Brooklyn or bust.

I'll take this team against any other team in the A10 tourney.

Gonna be one HELL of a conference tournament.

Go Rhody.
0 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Between the sleeved jerseys and the tight rims we never had a chance. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We're onto LaSalle!
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

We didn't play well offensively, and had a great chance to win this. I liked the 2nd half adjustments, and they only scored 60 - so our defense came to play. We're just not a very good offensive team, as there aren't enough pieces. We've seen that all year, as there are long scoring droughts in nearly every game. Sure, you feel better with a win, but it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of the NCAA/NIT. People's NCAA projections required us to win out the regular season (4 wins), then win 1, possibly 2 games in Brooklyn to even have an at-large chance.

It's obvious we can beat anyone in this league. We can split the last 4 and likely still end up with a top-4 finish. From there, winning 3 games in a row books our ticket in to the Dance. Much easier and attainable to get 3 wins in a row, than it is to get 5 or 6. It's frustrating to be so close, but success is coming.
0 x
Go Rhody!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:The score was 47-40 forever.
Does anyone realize that we held Davidson to three points in twelve minutes, from 14:05 to 2:15? That is incredible. Unfortunately, we then gave up nine points in the last two minutes of the game and failed to convert our own chances. Still, that defensive stretch shouldn't go unnoticed. As bad as we were offensively last night, we were that good defensively. The ability to defend that way will keep you in lots of ball games.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

took a while to recover after that one...despite what has been said about our awful FT and perimeter shooting we had a wide open 3 pointer to win it from a kid who was shooting close to 50% from 3 in his last few games. first good look we have had in an end of game situation in a while, i cant believe anyone is questioning it. Jarvis was given the responsibility to initiate the offense (instead of EC), drove the paint, drew 3 defenders and made a great cross court pass to Jared. I will take my chances with that moving forward. Its rare a big man (to answer the calls about hassan) is going to get a last shot in a situation like that (less than 10 seconds), so that's not an option. A guard is going to have to make a play. Just didnt work out for us.

Defense was suffocating in second half. Agree a killer stretch was when score was 48-40 and we stopped them and turned them over numerous times in a row with ZERO converted on offensive end. The absolute back breaker was Hassan bricking the 2 free throws and kalinoski answering with that layup and the foul (stupid reach by Terrell).

Jared really struggled on both ends of the floor, they used his aggressiveness against him on the defensive end. Shot looked off all night but he has proven capable of hitting big shots and I have no problem with him taking that shot. If he puts the ball on the floor in that situation he likely takes a contested 2 instead of a wide open 3.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

up to that last possession we were 1for 18 on 3's;20 for 42 on all other shots

take it inside,or stop & pop---
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The play worked perfectly. I question the basketball knowledge of anyone who questions it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

we arent a 5% 3 pt shooting team, previous results dont predict future outcomes. he hit harder shots to beat nebraska. it was an open 3, i will take it all day. they had collapsed to the paint, there was no "take it inside" options besides what jarvis did.

rambone, disagree with your comment that jarvis played bad. He rimmed out a few threes that looked good, but had 5 assists and 0 turnovers. He easily should have ended up with 7 assists, the last basket and the feed to EC where he missed a layup and Hassan dunked it back.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:took a while to recover after that one...despite what has been said about our awful FT and perimeter shooting we had a wide open 3 pointer to win it from a kid who was shooting close to 50% from 3 in his last few games. first good look we have had in an end of game situation in a while, i cant believe anyone is questioning it. Jarvis was given the responsibility to initiate the offense (instead of EC), drove the paint, drew 3 defenders and made a great cross court pass to Jared. I will take my chances with that moving forward. Its rare a big man (to answer the calls about hassan) is going to get a last shot in a situation like that (less than 10 seconds), so that's not an option. A guard is going to have to make a play. Just didnt work out for us.

Defense was suffocating in second half. Agree a killer stretch was when score was 48-40 and we stopped them and turned them over numerous times in a row with ZERO converted on offensive end. The absolute back breaker was Hassan bricking the 2 free throws and kalinoski answering with that layup and the foul (stupid reach by Terrell).

Jared really struggled on both ends of the floor, they used his aggressiveness against him on the defensive end. Shot looked off all night but he has proven capable of hitting big shots and I have no problem with him taking that shot. If he puts the ball on the floor in that situation he likely takes a contested 2 instead of a wide open 3.
That was a killer..........

Quote from Hurley in the Woonsocket Call
Davidson (20-6, 11-4 Atlantic 10) used a Tyler Kalinoski three-point play following a Martin missed free throw to cut the deficit to just one with 51 seconds left in the game. Hurley said he would've been fine giving up just two points, but the foul created a problem for the Rams.

"That was a killer," Hurley said. "Not the free throw. It's OK if you give up a two there. You can not reach and give them three there. You can't do that."

I thought Terrell hardly touched Kalinoski and maybe didn't tough him, but the reach by Terrell allowed the Ref to make that call. Even if he did tough him it was too late, Kalinoski was by him and going strong to the hoop. That 3 point play was brutal.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:The play worked perfectly. I question the basketball knowledge of anyone who questions it.
Actually Hurley himself questioned it.
Hurley said he should "drive it", but also that he was satisfied with the open 3.

From the Projo Jim Donaldson article:
“Their kid made a huge shot, a huge play,” Hurley said. “Jarred has been awesome for us this season. But the thing you want to shoot there isn’t the three. You want to drive it.”
But there wasn’t much time, and the noise level was through the roof, and Terrell is a freshman.
“If you’re a freshman,” Hurley said, “your clock is spinning. If you’re an older player, you might make another play. But I’ll live with an open look from 3-point range from him any day of the week.”
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

the play didn't work perfectly ,he missed the shot.
when you're cold on 3 pointers ,you try another approach.
a 3 was not needed to win the game. a step back two by Jarvis was a higher likely shot given
the way we shoot 3's

tp,i ve been following uri bb since 1958 when George Patrick duffy used to broadcast on radio [am 58.5elieve].my opions are not unknowledgeable.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe he could have taken the ball to the basket, but that has nothing to do with the play call. I don't know how much better of a look we could have gotten than an uncontested jumper from a guy who has made plenty of them. Especially when you compare it to what we've done at the end of other games when we've struggled to even get a shot off. It doesn't matter what Jared had done up to that point in the game. Every shot is an independent event; I like him hitting that shot at close to a 50% rate.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

That last minute brought back some bad memories (Stanford).
We can go back and forth all day about the last shot. Everyone's opinion is valid. Open 3 vs driving and possibly going to the line.
What really bothers me is not running the clock down ahead by 4 with the ball with 1 minute left. Possibly, we would have been fouled and missed the shots anyway. Who knows? Would have been a good time for a timeout.
As for our free throw shooting, there's nothing left to say that hasn't been said a million times on this board. it's why we're not alone in first place.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Pretty funny, all the complaining about end of game plays with EC just driving to the hoop and either missing or losing the ball, and now they draw up a play that came together perfectly with Jarvis drawing in the defense (exactly what 99% of the posters here had been asking for) and getting a wide open shot and now people are questioning that.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

What we're questioning is the choice of shot considering how poorly we shot 3's. It was a beautifully set up play, though.
I've been as critical as anyone about EC always taking the last shot. But, they've usually been last second outside shots.
I mentioned EC driving because he was doing it all night and going to the line. It could have someone else, though. I'm sure Davidson was ready for EC to get the ball.
Having said that, you're earlier point (adam) about the refs not calling a foul in that situation is a valid one. Who knows?
We're just fans giving our opinions.
Coaches always say that games are not lost on last second plays. We certainly had enough chances throughout the game to not need a last second play.

I wanted to add this to this post. I can't remember a team as close as this one. Remember 2 or 3 players going over to Butler after a miss to console him? Plenty of other examples during the year. Considering how young this team is, there's no question about their maturity.
The fact that they play with so much heart and we like these guys so much adds to the pain of a loss like this.
Last edited by ramfan85 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

He had a great wideopen look. I have absolutely no problem with that shot. Players today are better at that shot than a pump faking taking a dribble in a few more feet & taking that midrange jumper. If he hit that shot no one would be saying shit about it. He just missed. it sure does suck tho.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

kal-65 wrote:up to that last possession we were 1for 18 on 3's;20 for 42 on all other shots

take it inside,or stop & pop---
Davidson wasnt going to allow anything inside the 3pt line, and you arent getting a foul call in that situation unless a bone breaks.

A wide open 3 from the elbow is a great shot opportunity from a sideout with 9s to go. Even got a quality rebound chance, just couldnt get a clean hand on it.

s**t happens, on to LaSalle
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

PLAY was Great. The ball just didnt go down. Jarvis got the pass to him with time and room to take the open shot. I will take that at end of game all day long - especially with the way Davidson played defense (coached to make Rhody have to make a longer shot or win by getting a put back off a rebound)
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

It was a great pass by Jarvis and a great look. A lot better than most of our desperation last shots.
But, it's over. Now let's focus on LaSalle. They're an intriguing team. Don't know what to expect from them on Saturday.

I can't get over how "into" this season I am. For a while, I thought the barons years had taken all my old passion away for good.
Thanks, Dan. And, thanks, team.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramfan85 wrote: I can't get over how "into" this season I am. For a while, I thought the barons years had taken all my old passion away for good.
This is something we can definitely all agree on all day long. It's great to even be in a position to be so invested again in these late season games to a point where we all argue about it!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Highlights from this article from last night's game:

finally, with 4:30 remaining when Hassan Martin slammed home a second-chance shot. URI led 52-51.
Martin, by the way, is one of the five best players in the conference. Clearly and easily. He's physical, plays about four inches longer than his 6-foot-7 frame, and on Wednesday he had 17 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks.

The thing about Rhode Island, and especially Davidson, is they're both capable of winning in the NCAA Tournament. The Rams' E.C. Matthews is a fine talent, and Martin can play in any league in the country. Davidson's a danger for anyone just in the way they shoot and scheme; they'll be hell to prep for, should they be one of the 68.
It was foolish to doubt Davidson from the get-go. And if the Wildcats, who sit at 20-6 with three regular season games remaining, finish with 24 wins, it'd be foolish not to put them into the NCAAs as well. Few teams are more fun to watch -- combined with the quality, credibility and caliber of coach.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -the-party
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SAME exact way we lost to Richmond, at home, during the Pink Out, in the 2009/2010 season. Keith Cothran missed a WIDE open 3, in the same spot, which would have won the game.
0 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Grrrrr! More Davidson hype. Sorry, they aren't that good.
Oh, the wonderful A-10 board barely mentioned our game.
Just a VCU-Richmond board, mainly.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

yes, but some very favorable comments in the article about URI

It's going to be such a fantastic time in New York!!!

and to think it was not long ago that we didn't even get to go to the tournament because they did not invite the bottom dwellers and we were certainly a bottom dweller:-(
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

A game like last night, with 2 good teams giving it all they have should be praised on the A10 board. F... that board.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

I'm sure its been said a million times but the game was lost in that stretch where our defense shut down Davidson 5/6 straight times and we. just. could. not. score!! The offense has shown signs of improvement lately but last night was a step backwards. Davidson is not a very good defensive team.

I'd love to play Davidson again in the A10 tournament. We held them to 20 points below their season average and we have been way better when playing teams a second time. Bring it on.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramfan85 wrote:A game like last night, with 2 good teams giving it all they have should be praised on the A10 board. F... that board.
You have to hand it to both teams.
Davidson picked by the A10 Coaches to finish 12th out of 14
URI picked by the A10 Coaches to finish 6th out of 14
Both Teams now tied with 2 others for 1st place
It is even conceivable that they could play for the Conference Title

Not surprised the A10 Board does not like either team, screw em
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:
ramfan85 wrote: I can't get over how "into" this season I am. For a while, I thought the barons years had taken all my old passion away for good.
This is something we can definitely all agree on all day long. It's great to even be in a position to be so invested again in these late season games to a point where we all argue about it!
I spend the whole game on the edge of my seat. At my age, that can be dangerous.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I think Davidson used an under-inflated basketball on offense. I though I saw Vin Turco hawking game balls at half-time.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!