Great Job Student Section

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Great Job Student Section

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

There is nothing better than when a Student section stands with their team and keeps pushing them forward. Last night was the perfect example of that. Being down between 6-11 most of the night, the crowd kept pushing and never gave up. Finally the team started making that run and it was awesome to watch the team recognize the students after the 4 minute TV timeout.

Keep coming to the Ryan center students, you are making this one difficult place to play. Imagine a sold out Ryan center almost every night next year. Will start to remind me of how loud Keaney used to be with only 4,000 people in it.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Great Job Student Section

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Agreed. It was as loud as I can remember even though some season ticket holders didn't show.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great Job Students. Look forward to a fantastic Senior Game to recognize our fantastic seniors!
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Amen.

The tides have really turned. At one point there was a 20+ page thread of folks complaining about student attendance and the lack of "Ruckus". I've stated over and over that when we win; the students will come & make the RC a pit. They certainly have delivered.

I just wish I could say the same for the general public. Rhody being the #1 team in the conference coupled with a non-stop marketing push in media, print, online by URI Athletics/Marketing and still no sell-out for UMASS & Davidson. Very disappointing.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The crowd that showed up last night was great. The students were really into the game and kept the team in it. I believe their energy (especially when Davidson was on offense at their end) helped fuel the Rhody players.

The non students were also very good. There was a lot of support throughout the game by everyone there. It would have been understandable if it had been quiet for the first 30 minutes with the way things had played out but it wasn't.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Ya students were great and have been for last few games makes a big difference....but where oh where is everyone else. Very disappointed in how many empty seats there were...I sure hope they didn't turn students away
0 x
Clapton is God
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Here is a quote from the their board on the crowd...

"That building - and its fans - are the loudest that I have ever experienced. It was simply deafening in there. The on court stuff was fun and wild, and the crowd was screaming non stop from start to finish. Sitting next to my old friend freehold, we were barely able to communicate. I really wonder what fans in this league think of us when they leave belk arena. What I saw tonight was simply unbelievable. "
0 x
Clapton is God
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

last night, was a great example of how big of a home court advantage we can have when the crowd gets going.

As we were making that push to tie the game, and the crowd got just kept getting louder, you could see it get to Davidson. They started rushing things, taking bad shots early and it definitely threw them off.

If they didnt have a coach as good as McKillop, they would've lost last night. He was able to calm them down enough at the end (unfortunately).

Can't wait to see it continue to grow
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

gorhody89 wrote:Here is a quote from the their board on the crowd...

"That building - and its fans - are the loudest that I have ever experienced. It was simply deafening in there. The on court stuff was fun and wild, and the crowd was screaming non stop from start to finish. Sitting next to my old friend freehold, we were barely able to communicate. I really wonder what fans in this league think of us when they leave belk arena. What I saw tonight was simply unbelievable. "

Love this!!!!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The crowd will be there. I agree the students were fantastic, and we'd all love to see sellouts every night. But the tide doesn't turn overnight. Keep winning and you'll get the numbers. The numbers for this year reflect the on-court improvement of the team. The same will hold true going forward.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011