BubbleWatch and Top 25 Polls

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: BubbleWatch and Top 25 Polls

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Is it safe to simplify it to the point that URI needs 6 more wins to be in serious contention come Selection Sunday?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Is it safe to simplify it to the point that URI needs 6 more wins to be in serious contention come Selection Sunday?
I'd agree with that .... win the last 5 conference games and at least one in Brooklyn to be sure. However, if they win out, they'd at least be co-champions which the NCAA would be hard-pressed to overlook. If they finished 4-1, they'd have to win 2 in Brooklyn.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Is it safe to simplify it to the point that URI needs 6 more wins to be in serious contention come Selection Sunday?
7 before we have the at-large conversation. Unless it's 6 but we won the A10 title outright.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It's safe to say we only need to win one game. Win the game on 3/15 at 1pm, we are in.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Exactly. Take it out of the Committee's hand and do it
ourselves.
You never know what those coconuts will do, anyway.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

As of this morning, ESPN'S Basketball Power Index has us ranked 48th in the country and the last at large in the tournament.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

6 Wins and we're DANCING.

GO RHODY!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:As of this morning, ESPN'S Basketball Power Index has us ranked 48th in the country and the last at large in the tournament.
BPI is a flawed metric trying to be better than flawed metrics. They say all wins are better than losses, so it's better to beat St. Louis than lose to VCU, which I would have a hard time agreeing with.

It's a power metric that tries to persuade readers it's the best at predicting tournament teams, despite only hitting 51 out of 68 teams, on average. I don't think of other metrics as tournament rankings, but simply power rankings. BPI preaches it's not that, but it's not good at the other thing either.

From what I've read, the best "predictive" measure for the order of NCAA teams is KenPom+RPI.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think if we finish in 2nd place (4 wins would do that) and make it to the finals (2 wins in Brooklyn) we are in as the second team in the A10.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I will always agree that winning is better than losing. Sure you can't blame a team for losing to a top ten program but logically speaking winning is winning and losing, no matter the team, is still losing. I would take beating three bad teams in a row than losing three games to say kansas Kentucky and Wisconsin. Your record is still 0-3 vs 3-0.
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote:I will always agree that winning is better than losing. Sure you can't blame a team for losing to a top ten program but logically speaking winning is winning and losing, no matter the team, is still losing. I would take beating three bad teams in a row than losing three games to say kansas Kentucky and Wisconsin. Your record is still 0-3 vs 3-0.
While I partially agree, I think where BPI misses the mark is that the RPI doesn't think that way. The SOS component is huge, and RPI would reward you more for losing at Kentucky, Kansas, and Wisconsin, then beating Grambling St., Southern, and UTSA at home. BPI just wants the wins and while you may be penalized for quality, won't be penalized if you don't lose either. If the BPI did not think this way, perhaps it could become a more accurate predictor in terms of what it's looking to be considered. KenPom, Sagarin, heck even RPI, they don't claim to be numerical predictors of where a team will be slotted. BPI seems to want to be that, even if the formula doesn't quite match up.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I played around with the RPI Wizard this morning http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Rhode%20Island.html

I played out a number of different scenarios for the regular season and A10 tournament. Obviously, I had to make some assumptions as to our seeding and who we would play in the A10 tournament.

I also made the assumption that a final RPI of under 40 gets us an at-large bid.

Here is what I learned:
-If we win all our remaining regular season games (5-0) we would need to win just one A10 game (Quarterfinals) to finish with an RPI under 40
-If we go (4-1), and finish in the top 4 of the A10, we would need to win 2 games in the A10 (Quarter- and Semifinals) to finish with an RPI under 40
-We cannot afford 2 or more losses the rest of the way. 2 or more losses and we need to win the A10 Championship
0 x
Team Ram-Jam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Team Ram-Jam »

Don't sleep on the La Salle game, this team has been playing much better since the last time we saw them. I don't expect a W @Dayton but do see a win @home against Davidson. 4-1 is not unrealistic if we take care of business with La Salle
0 x
~~~~~~~Follow In game tweets @timmygmagic ~~~~~~~
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Hears my problem with ESPN, they are talking up Pitt as making a run at the bubble. Katz claiming that a victory today vs Cuse can really help.

Pitt is 17-10 with an RPI of 46. Cuse has an RPI of 69.

That's not exactly a "signature" win.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RoadyJay wrote:I played around with the RPI Wizard this morning http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Rhode%20Island.html

I played out a number of different scenarios for the regular season and A10 tournament. Obviously, I had to make some assumptions as to our seeding and who we would play in the A10 tournament.

I also made the assumption that a final RPI of under 40 gets us an at-large bid.

Here is what I learned:
-If we win all our remaining regular season games (5-0) we would need to win just one A10 game (Quarterfinals) to finish with an RPI under 40
-If we go (4-1), and finish in the top 4 of the A10, we would need to win 2 games in the A10 (Quarter- and Semifinals) to finish with an RPI under 40
-We cannot afford 2 or more losses the rest of the way. 2 or more losses and we need to win the A10 Championship
Good work. Thanks for sharing. I'm assuming when you say we can't have two more losses, you're not counting the loss that would knock us out of the A10? (So the semifinal in your first scenario, the championship game in your second scenario.)
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

TP thanks, I was not clear with the last point.

The last point is talking about regular season losses.

-0 regular season losses out of final 5 regular season games... Only need 1 win in A10 championship (win Quarterfinals. Lose Semifinals) for possible At-large bid (RPI under 40).
-1 regular season loss out of final 5 regular season games... Need to win 2 A10 championship games (win Quarterfinals and Semifinals. Lose in Finals) for possible At-large bid (RPI under 40).
-2 or more regular season losses out of final 5 regular season games... Need to win A10 Championship (Automatic Bid)

Hope that clarifies... :)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

So six wins, then. (Or seven if we go 3-2 and don't get a bye.)
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

6 wins in our next 5 games.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Ramulous wrote:6 wins in our next 5 games.....
Hhahahaha! :o :shock: :lol:
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

bressler3south
Post subject: Re: BracketologyPostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:58 pm
Cuttino Mobley

The only Bracketology that counts is the one on Selection Sunday…..

Note the date……….

ONE GAME AT A TIME.

ONE WIN AT A TIME.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I am actually think we have a better chance to beat Dayton on the road as opposed to La Salle. For match up reasons. That's only if Hass and Gil don't get in foul trouble.
If we get through Mason and win the three after that, we'd be in wonderful shape. Home win verses a team around 50 in the RPI, road win, series sweep over a top 100 team and a road win against a top 50 team. Beat down St. Joey. Our RPI would surge and we'd most likely jump a few of those other bubble teams into the field. Whom will likely not win 5 straight.
Still enjoying the ride and I'm gonna try not to sweat it if we lose any of these games cause we have as good a chance as any in Brooklyn. Seem to get a lot better after every loss as well.
Enjoying the ride! Let's kick ass today!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

PeterRamTime wrote:I am actually think we have a better chance to beat Dayton on the road as opposed to La Salle. For match up reasons. That's only if Hass and Gil don't get in foul trouble.
If we get through Mason and win the three after that, we'd be in wonderful shape. Home win verses a team around 50 in the RPI, road win, series sweep over a top 100 team and a road win against a top 50 team. Beat down St. Joey. Our RPI would surge and we'd most likely jump a few of those other bubble teams into the field. Whom will likely not win 5 straight.
Still enjoying the ride and I'm gonna try not to sweat it if we lose any of these games cause we have as good a chance as any in Brooklyn. Seem to get a lot better after every loss as well.
Enjoying the ride! Let's kick ass today!

Yes. This is the first season in a long time that late games actually matter. We have a good, young team that gives a lot of promise for the future. And, we do have a legitimate chance to win in Brooklyn.
No matter what happens for the rest of the season, we all (me too) have to take a step back and appreciate just how far we've come as a program.
Now, having said that, I wouldn't mind a tourney bid this year.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

So let's sum up...

URI needs to either win all of their remaining games and lose in the A10 championship game to put themselves in a good position to be considered a team that has a very good chance to be thought of as an NCAA tournaments team or... needs to win the A10 championship. *wink*

Meanwhile EVERY team in EVERY power conference just needs to win 1 game against a team with a winning record in their league and win at least two in their conference tourney to guarantee they GET IN.

Yeah, that about sums up the respect the A10 gets.
Last edited by DanInAZ 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

5 more wins to Dance.

GO RHODY!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Live RPI has our number at 66 now. So no change there.
Hope our nonconference opponents can win some games today.
Lowell and Southern Miss lost already. Badly.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I understand trying to provide for different angles and it is fun, but I'm pulling for winning the league.

I also have a plane ticket to Ny where I will pull for that tourney title.

This team doesn't control its destiny, but its close to it. More interested in the ways VCU can lose and we can win the league than how we can go 3-2
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are ever so slowly approaching the fringes of the Promised Land.

I know I said the UMass games was big, and it was.

This Wednesday's game is even bigger. Win it, and basically lock up the bye, stay in contention for the conference title, and finally leapfrog Davidson onto the very edge of bubbledom.

Some serious shit happening here.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Who here isn't pulling for us to win the league? Both ways.

These four non-conference foes got wins.
Brown 57-56 over Cornell
Del st beat Hampton 74-71
Santa Clara beat LMU 70-63
Lookin like Detroit is going to bring home a W at Youngstown St.
Good job them!

The building should be overflowing in that Davidson game!
Oh my god excitement!!!!!!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Nebraska also beat Indiana on the road. Nice win for them. Helps us, I think that makes them a top 100 RPI win too.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

??? Rambone. Nebraska faced Indiana way back in December, at home, and lost. Not sure where you're pulling that info...
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

That was the women Nebraska team
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Damn. I saw that on the ticker. You're right. Didn't look at the left side.

Would have been nice, though.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I feel warm. What is this warm feeling inside of me? It's like an old friend has returned. Is this...could it be....love? happiness? joy? I'm not sure what to do. This feeling is so foreign to me. When it comes to Rhody Basketball, I'm used to mediocrity...sadness...dashed hopes and dreams. No more...no more I say. Bring on this thing called love.
"This thing called love I just can't handle it."
- Crazy little thing called love.
Wednesday will be fun!
I will no longer simply say "go rhody". It will now be the following.
God bless Hurley. GO RHODY!
Give the man the statue already. (haha) ;)
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I second that Dude!
Nebraska is playing Iowa tomorrow I thinkss
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Why was Brown playing back to back games? Was one a re-schedule?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

STC wrote:Why was Brown playing back to back games? Was one a re-schedule?
It's an Ivy thing.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ace wrote:
STC wrote:Why was Brown playing back to back games? Was one a re-schedule?
It's an Ivy thing.
Kind of like not having a conference tournament (facepalms) :roll:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ivies only play each other on Friday and Saturday.
It's been that way forever.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Its so they can study during the week.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Study. They do that? Really?

Oh yeah, they're the Ivies.

Back when I was at URI, I think I studied for like 15 minutes every other Tuesday morning, or something like that.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Also gives them more time to protest.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ivies only play each other on Friday and Saturday.
It's been that way forever.
It helps cut down on missed class time. They also typically play partners each weekend to further cut down on travel. For instance, Brown hosted Columbia on Friday and Cornell on Saturday. They played at those schools 01/30/15 and 01/31/15.

Ivy Travel partners:
Dartmouth, Harvard
Brown, Yale
Columbia, Cornell
Princeton, Penn
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

And Yale hosted Cornell Friday and Columbia Saturday
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Lunardi was just on talking about how Davidson
Will get in the dance if they win their next 3 games.
You will need a stop watch to time how quickly
These espn guys jump off the SS Davidson when they
Come to Kingston and get beat by 10 on Weds.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Exactly. Although I do agree if they could beat us in our house and win out into the start of the A10 tourney, they'd be in very good shape. Problem for them is that they aren't winning Wednesday.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Besides us, they have GW and VCU at home and Duquesne on the road.
Gotta think at least the VCU game will be a loss.
Too bad GW is doing the CFL Flop. Post February GW would be tougher.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I've got news for the espn guys. They will be jumping on our bandwagon
By 10 pm next weds. We are a bad matchup for Davidson. Offensively you better
Be capable of doing more against us then shooting three pointers. That plays right
Into our style of defense. The very few open looks that they get, they better hit them.
I don't see us losing this game.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

10-21 (5-11)
13-17 (7-9)
24-9 (11-5)

Lonergan is one year ahead of Hurley in his time at GW. Those are Lonergan's first three years there, and it seemed like it could be a blueprint for how things could play out at Rhode Island for Hurley, even though Lonergan inherited a team with a winning record the year before and a program with more recent success. Even so, the total wins are fairly comparable. Now, in year four, GW is sitting at 7-7 in the conference. They could still possibly pull it together and win 3 of 4.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The difference is, we will be a hell of a lot better than 7-7 at this point next season.

Of course, GW lost some key guys, bigger losses than we will have next season.

Not to diss Gil and TJ either, but the replacements we have coming in should more than make up for their loss. And we're not done yet with recruiting either.

Plus, another year of improvement for our core four.
0 x