Matthews Showing Up in NBA Mock Drafts; URI Pro Potential

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Matthews Showing Up in NBA Mock Drafts; URI Pro Potentia

Unread post by rambone 78 »

EC isn't going anywhere after this season.

After next year, maybe. If we get a good big man and our 2 current recruits are the real deal, we get into the Dance, and get some national pub, then EC might be a first rounder.

I can't see him leaving early even then, unless he's a sure fire 1st rounder at that point.

A lot of things can happen between now and then.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The way I see it, there are 30 NBA teams which means a player that is in the top 40 or 50 is likely a second round pick.

That being the case, EC would be CRAZY to go PRO as a second round NBA pick. Best case would be, he would be on the bubble of making a NBA team and put him in a secondary position of moving up to the Big Money.

It is a big difference, if he stays additional year(s) and moves into top 30 and is a first round pick.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's what I'm saying.

I think EC has said that he came here to help Dan build a program. Now, I know that might be just words, but I don't see him leaving until concrete results are achieved on the court.

Imo it looks like next year might be the golden ticket, as long as Dan and staff can bring in another piece or two, to finally get us over the hump.

Not saying this year is a lost cause, far from it. We could, and should, make some kind of postseason this year, hopefully at least the NIT.

When EC has become a solid 1st round pick, that's the earliest I can see him going. For him to get there, his team needs to help him.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

He would have to be assured first round. Another factor is Euros who get selected. E?C. will surely go if he knows he is a first rounder.
Can players bow out if they havent signed with an agent?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

EC knows he's not ready yet.

As for bowing out, yes they can if they don't have an agent.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That's not how it works anymore, but you still can't get an agent.

Now, you can declare but you have to pull your name out much earlier in Mid-April. In effect, you really can't test the waters.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Tes ... 2014-4412/
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I said, EC knows he's not ready yet, even if he starts showing up as a 1st rounder by late this season.

He's got some business to attend to here first. That's improving, and helping the team win.

I'm sure him and Dan will know when he's ready.

For him to be the best he can be, he needs his sidekick Jarvis to become the PG we will need to get to that next level.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramblinrose wrote:He would have to be assured first round. Another factor is Euros who get selected. E?C. will surely go if he knows he is a first rounder.
Can players bow out if they havent signed with an agent?
For what it's worth, I believe the ESPN draft board includes both European players and situations like an American player choosing to play in China or Europe instead of going to college. That's part of why EC is in the 50s on their list.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Here's the Draft Express mock draft for 2016. Eight of the first ten projected picks are currently high school seniors.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/
0 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Not a single college senior in the top sixty...makes you wonder.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramsman75 wrote:Not a single college senior in the top sixty...makes you wonder.
That's a list for the '16 draft. The 11 juniors listed will be seniors.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

The first round senior is going the way of the mid-range jumper. People question if you play four years. I don't think E.C. is ready yet. But dreams draft on potential. On the job training.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's talk out there of requiring kids who declare early, to spend a year in the D-league so they can transition better to the big show.

I don't see that happening, but it's out there at least.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Never happen. It would have to be negotiated. Can't see the union going for that. Owners either. You draft the next LeBron and stick him in the D League?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NBADraft.net now has EC Mathews going in the 2015 Draft at #28 first round to Cleveland for what it's worth. EC moved from the #11 slot in the 2016 draft from the last version.
Also of interest Treveon Graham of VCU, SR, going #53 to Boston
For 2016 they have Kris Dunn of PC going #38 to Detroit

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

No way Matthews is rated ahead of Dunn. Not if
anyone has watched either play this season.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think it's more likely to be the other way around; Dunn next year, Matthews in '16.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with Rod. Definitely a chance with his injury history that Dunn jumps as early as this year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm more interested in their projected 2016 draft order. I feel like it is probably harder to do that than to slot prospects.

FWIW, I have to agree with Rod, Iggy and BAR on Dunn/Matthews. BAR also brings up a very good point about his health history potentially factoring into his decision.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I dont think any scout that has seen EC thinks he's PG ready for the league yet.

He has some work to do, ESPECIALLY in the PG-centric areas of the game. It's great for us.

He needs to get his handle down, try to do less himself, and work on his decision making. That will come with time.

He's definitely a 3 year guy for sure, but based on what we've seen, wouldn't shock me if he played 4 (that would be AWESOME).
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:No way Matthews is rated ahead of Dunn. Not if
anyone has watched either play this season.
Based on performance, Dunn is clearly ahead. But when it comes to projecting NBA impact and draft position, Matthews is probably an equivalent prospect, still, because he's about 1.5 year younger, and he doesn't have the injury history. Regardless though, both are only fringe prospects to be drafted for this year. ESPN still has Matthews at #63, and Dunn at #72, for 2015. There also seems to be almost zero chance that Matthews would leave early at this point, since there hasn't really been that much more buzz on him since that camp over the summer. (While I don't think he's regressed, he also hasn't played himself into the first round or anything like that.)
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think Dunn is opening eyes all around the NBA.
There's no way they're equal prospects. Dunn
injects himself into the outcome of a game in so many ways,
and just does more. He's also position ready, where
EC clearly isn't.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Dunn strike why the iron is hot? I could see that.

Long term EC is a better prospect, imagine EC on an NBA roster where he is an after thought that can catch and shoot open shots, then sprinkle in his deadly flooter that finishes over length. Not even close, I don't think its fair the board has been so critical of him during his injury.

Dunn is amazing right now, but his game is imposing his athleticism, is he that athletic that it translates to the NBA?? doubt it.

Skills go a longer way unless the guy is the most athletic.

Also guards that aren't 6'6 being scared that they are too short to be a scoring guard in the NBA is long gone. EC doesn't need to be a point guard. Tons of guys shorter than that are in the league that can only score. Jeremy Lamb, HArden, wade, olidiapo, knight, monta ellis, so on so on. Marshon Brooks?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not even close???? On what planet?
Dunn has a super high basketball IQ and great instincts.
Watch him sometime. Kid plays defense, passes like a wizard,
and can shot and go to the hoop.
Other than that, he stinks.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SWG, have to disagree with you. Dunn's athleticism will translate. He has a lot of it, not too far behind guys like Wall, Westbrook and Rose in terms of athleticism. This is Dunn's first full season, he has a lot more to improve upon its not like the kid has peaked, not even close. Imagine when he adds a three point game to his penetrating skills. He can defend his position at the next level. I have seen a lot of college hoops this season and I struggle to come up with even 10 guys I think that have been more impressive than Dunn this year.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I said hes amazing. FOR THE BIG EAST.

Look around the NBA at their backcourts and tell me Dunn will be able to play the way he plays in college.

What i'm saying is EC's game wont change. He will be a guy on a roster that can shoot and go by a guy in a pinch on the second line. Not really a lofty prediction.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

If you think Dunn is close to Lillard, Westbrook, Curry, Harden, Bledsoe, Ellis/Rondo, Parker, Rose, Walker, Wall, Teague, Conley, even Knight now, B Jennings.

He really isn't.

Like Kemba Walker won a national title basically himself and his team is perennially a doormat.

Dunn is clearly good, he still losses games to Brown.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes Dunn will be able to play at the next level. The trend is moving towards bigger more athletic PGs - Rondo, Rose, Wall, Westbrook, Oladipo, Carter-Williams, etc. Steph Curry is an anomaly almost. Think you are wearing URI colored glasses on this one, in the last two months EC has not looked like an NBA prospect at all. Dunn is only getting better. You are way off here.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:If you think Dunn is close to Lillard, Westbrook, Curry, Harden, Bledsoe, Ellis/Rondo, Parker, Rose, Walker, Wall, Teague, Conley, even Knight now, B Jennings.

He really isn't.

Like Kemba Walker won a national title basically himself and his team is perennially a doormat.

Dunn is clearly good, he still losses games to Brown.
Of course he is not as good as those guys yet, but the NBA drafts on potential. If you dont think he can be better than guys like Teague and Conley and Jennings then cant help you, but he will easily surpass those guys. That other group is next level so that is impossible to project yet, but on pure potential I am sure he has NBA guys drooling.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yeah Time will tell. I may not be fair to Dunn right now. Who knows his ceiling.

But say a guy like Mike Conley, yes he played with Oden, but clearly that team doesn't make the national championship his freshman year without him. Same thing with the Grizz.

Like last year Cotton to the nba, blah blah. He is the same size as Nate Robinson, Robinson was the best player in all of America in college and rides benches. I think RI'ers inflate hometown guys pro potential.

IDK why I make it a point to say something. I give up.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not sure this is same situation as Cotton. Cotton was an undersized over-achieving converted PG....Dunn was the best PG in his class the year he came out of HS. McDonalds AA. He is the real deal.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:Not sure this is same situation as Cotton. Cotton was an undersized over-achieving converted PG....Dunn was the best PG in his class the year he came out of HS. McDonalds AA. He is the real deal.
... who's currently ranked in the 70s on ESPN's draft board. Not that they're the end all, be all, but college performance only has a light to medium correlation with NBA performance. And I think Cotton is probably a decent comparison for Dunn, although Dunn obviously had the better pedigree coming into college. It's really, really, really hard to make the NBA as a guard. Cotton is averaging 21 points, 5 boards and 5 assists a game or so in the NBADL, and (last I knew) he hasn't gotten a 10-day contract offer yet.

For the record, I'm not saying that Matthews is a better prospect than Dunn. I'm just saying that they're probably equally fringe draft prospects right now to NBA GMs. Even the projecting for 2016 right now, to me, looks more like sites going, "Let's subtract those 30 people who will declare for 2015, subtract them from the mocks, and viola! Now we have a 2016 mock."
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well during the CBS broadcast last night they had Dunn as one of the
top four PGs in the country, not the NBE.
THE COUNTRY. Got it?
To think that this is really his first full season, ans he leads the nation in assists,
had a triple double last week, and he plays defense!
EC is a really nice player, when he's healthy, but he doesn't have Dunn's handle, or passing ability.
It's not close, even without ECs injury.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I couldn't agree more with CBS....besides the PG at Iowa State (Monte Morris) I struggle to think of another PG playing at a higher level in all of college hoops.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We recruited Morris for awhile. The guy at Utah is pretty special, too.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

BAR totally agree with you on this whole topic. He's in the same conversation as Delon Wright at Utah, Jerian Grant at ND, and D'Angelo Russell (IMO the top PG prospect in college right now) at Ohio State. Can't go wrong with any one of those guys, Dunn included. Give him his due, he's had a special year so far.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

BPR, you are right, forgot Grant and Russell is probably the #1 PG prospect.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Dunn is a 6 ft 3 PG with long arms and freakish speed. He has instincts that you can't teach on defense. He is one of the top assist guys in the country and is near the top in steals as well. He has a much improved jump shot and when he gets to play with players that can keep up with his athleticism he will look even better. I hope he stays, but IMHO, he will go in the top 20 and if that was me, I would leave.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I never agree with Sean but I do here. I haven't seen the Euros that routinely end up in the first round, but there are not 10 better prospects in college right now than KD. All URI fans should be hoping he is a First Rounder, because we will smack the shit out of PC next year without him :)
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Fingers crossed on that BAR, hoping he does. That Emmanuel Mudiay guy that committed to SMU but left to play in China is one of the non NCAA PG's ranked highly too. Was #2 in the most recent class behind Okafor I believe. Don't know a single thing about his game though, always a wildcard if an NBA team takes a chance on him. Dante Exum is struggling this year and was an overseas "stud".
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

bigappleram wrote:I never agree with Sean but I do here. I haven't seen the Euros that routinely end up in the first round, but there are not 10 better prospects in college right now than KD. All URI fans should be hoping he is a First Rounder, because we will smack the shit out of PC next year without him :)
Dunn or no Dunn; we're coming South to pound the Rams :D
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No Dunn and you guys are done against us next year.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Mudiay isn't an overseas guy in the same as Exum. Mudiay is American. He's a power point guard and would be dominating. Incredibly athletic.

Leaving out the point guard from Texas? He's awesome.

Marcus Paige? He's played hurt.

I thought perhaps I was missing something on Dunn. Look up his stats and nope, 6 points against Kentucky, 6 against Notre Dame.

Scores between 15-25 against big east teams since 1/6.

Really finding his stride, but it's not against other NBA prospects.

I personally would need a good NCAA tournament to buy into him.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Even with Dunn PC isn't going to beat us next year.

But about Dunn, I agree with those who recognize his talents here, he is exceptional and finally living up to his billing, he is also really the only guard that did whatever he wanted against our mighty defense this year, that should tell you something right there.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

SWC bring up games in November on a guy who mainly has sat out
the past two years. BRILLIANT.
While were' discussing other programs, why is Texas with their 14-7 record
still in the top 25? They've been blown out a few times, even at home.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:SWC bring up games in November on a guy who mainly has sat out
the past two years. BRILLIANT.
While were' discussing other programs, why is Texas with their 14-7 record
still in the top 25? They've been blown out a few times, even at home.
My favorite is Duke being 5th in the ACC and 4th in the country!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody fans praising PC, coaches hanging out... what is happening?

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Would ya look at that crew, huh?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Oh yea, Kriss Dunn hes the best! Ed! PC!Pats should have lost!

Maybe its the snow
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

FWIW, Duke has 3 of the best wins in the nation. Won at Wisconsin, at Louisville, and at Virginia. Say what you want about their bad losses, but those are impressive wins that no other team can boast on the road this year. And yes, I'm a Duke hater.

Also SW, just throwing names out there. Plenty of good PG's out there, Paige and Taylor are certainly up there too. Taylor also missed about a month with a wrist injury this year.
0 x