Game #16: @ Massachusetts - Saturday 2:30pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Game #16: @ Massachusetts - Saturday 2:30pm

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

There's another game this week for Rhody to get back to their winning ways. It's critical to beat the Minutemen and push their record up to 4-1 ahead of next week's home game vs LaSalle.

http://www.bbstate.com/games/2015-01-17/URI-MASS

KenPom gives UMass a 1 point edge in a 65-64 game.

Game is televised by NBC Sports Network

Native's write-up:
On Saturday 17-Jan-2015, the University of Massachusetts Minutemen will host their long-time basketball rivals, the University of Rhode Island Rams, at the Mullins Center in Amherst, Mass.

Tip-off is at 2:30pm.

The game will be televised nationally on the NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), and will be radio broadcast locally in southern New England on B101.

Derek Kellogg is the Head Coach of UMass M-BB. His staff this year includes Andy Allison ((Youngstown State ‘00, seventh year at UMass) who was promoted to assistant coach, replacing Marlon “Smoke” Williamson, who left for Pittsburgh at the end of last season. The two other assistant coaches are Adam Ginsberg (Buffalo '97, tenth year at UMass) and Shyrone Chatman (Memphis '02, seventh year at UMass). Tom Doherty (Dowling '92) is still the assistant to the head coach, but this season is also the director of basketball operations as well. Lou Roe (Massachusetts '13) is the assistant director of operations and Matt Vogel (Massachusetts '09) is now the operations coordinator. If on Saturday you start wondering which of the guys in suits on the UMass bench is Derek Kellogg, he is the one with the slicked-back dark hair.

Kellogg himself in his seventh year as a coach at his alma mater. (Massachusetts ’95); his win-loss record as the UMass head coach going in to Saturday's match up with Rhody is 118-94.

Kellogg is a local product. A Springfield native and former Minuteman point guard, he started his coaching career as a graduate assistant and part-time radio broadcaster at UMass during the 1996-97 season.

Derek Kellogg was named the 21st head coach in University of Massachusetts men’s basketball history, on April 23, 2008. The 1995 UMass graduate returned to his alma mater to take his first head coaching job after having served as an assistant coach for 12 years, the last eight at the University of Memphis under former UMass head coach John Calipari.

Over the past several years, it has definitely seemed that Derek Kellogg has had the UMass men’s basketball program headed in the right direction: three-consecutive 20-win seasons, and three-consecutive postseason tournaments.

Last season was an especially good season for the Minutemen, who finished with a 24-9 record (10-6 in the Atlantic -10). After having gone to the NIT for the previous two years, the Minutemen last year went to the Big Dance as a 6-seed.

However, gone from last season's NCAA lineup are Chaz Williams, Raphiael Putney and Sampson Carter. Perhaps not surprising, this season's UMass squad has not had the same level of success as did last year's: the Minutemen record so far this season is 9-8 (2-2 in the A-10 play).

Code: Select all

11/14/14 vs. Siena               W, 95-87
11/16/14 vs. Boston College      W, 71-62      Boston, Mass 
11/18/14 vs. Manhattan           W, 77-68 (OT) 
11/22/14 vs. Notre Dame          L, 81-68      Uncasville, Conn. 
11/23/14 vs. Florida State       W, 75-69      Uncasville, Conn. 
11/26/14 vs. Northeastern        W, 79-54 
11/29/14 at  Harvard             L, 75-73 
12/02/14 at  LSU                 L, 82-60 
12/07/14 vs. Florida Gulf Coast  L, 84-75      Springfield, Mass.
12/13/14 vs. Canisius            W, 75-58 
12/20/14 at Providence           L, 85-65 
12/23/14 at BYU                  L, 77-71 (OT) 
12/30/14 vs. Iona                W, 87-82 
01/03/15 vs. St. Bonaventure     L, 69-55 
01/07/15 at La Salle             W, 71-65 
01/11/15 at George Mason         W, 66-62 
01/14/15 vs. Davidson            L, 71-63         
This year's UMass roster (with likely starters) is as follows:
  • Jabarie Hinds (5-11 185) Junior point guard from Mount Vernon, NY. The West Virginia transfer is easily the fastest player on the floor for UMass. His points tend to come from driving to the basket for layups or from free throws. He started earlier in the season, but now comes off the bench as the sixth man. He had 11 points in the road win over George Mason.

• Trey Davis (6-0 185) Junior guard from East Dallas, Texas. In the game against Iona, he scored 25 points (10-for-11 from the floor) and added seven assists. Against A-10 opponent George Mason, he had 14 points, including two free throws with nine seconds left.
  • Derrick Gordon (6-3 205) Junior guard from Plainfield, N.J. Returning starter, last year was his first year at UMass, having transfered from Western Kentucky. Against Iona, he was 7-of-15 on field goals and 5-for-6 from the free throw line for 19 points. He is usually the one asked to defend the top scoring guard on the other team, so on Saturday expect to see him be the one to get the assignment to cover EC.
  • Donte Clark (6-4 180) Freshman guard from Charlotte, North Carolina. He prepped at Hargrave Military Academy. He started for the first time against LaSalle, and has been starting since.
  • Mike Wojewodzic (6-4 215) Junior guard from Boston, out of Boston Latin HS. He is a walk-on who dresses for home games and travels to nearby road games.
  • C.J. Anderson (6-5 175) Freshman guard from Memphis. A natural shooting guard, Anderson fills the role of point guard, when Trey Davis and Jabarie Hinds are both on the bench. Anderson played 28 minutes off the bench in the win at LaSalle.
  • Demetrius Dyson (6-5 200) Sophomore guard from Covington, Tenn. He is a good three point shooter, especially against weak defenses. Against Davidson, Demetrius Dyson came off the bench to score 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting (2-of-3 from behind the 3-point line).
  • Zach Coleman (6-7 200) Redshirt freshman forward from Dallas, Texas. A well rounded player, Coleman in the LaSalle game went 2-for-3 on 3-pointers and finished with six points.
  • Seth Berger (6-7 210) Sophomore forward from the Seattle area; he played his high school ball at Ballard HS.
  • Zach Turcotte (6-7 210) sophomore forward from Boxford, Mass. Known as a great player, athlete, and teammate while playing high school ball at Masconomet Regional HS. This season for UMass, he is a walk-on who has played only one minute, during the 13-Dec-2014 contest versus Canisius.

• Maxie Esho (6-8 215) Senior forward from Upper Marlboro, Maryland; he prepped at Lee Academy (Maine). A dunker and a leaper, Esho performs best when the game is fluid and he has space on offense. When he is performing well, he is an offensive catalyst for the Minutemen this season. Esho himself is the high scorer for UMass, averaging 13 ppg. He had 11 rebounds and 8 points in Wednesday's loss to Davidoson on Wednesday.
  • Tyler Bergantino (6-9 250) Junior center from Springhill, Florida. The young man from Florida has game experience, as his job is to spell starting center Cady Lalanne, who has been known to have his own share of foul trouble. Bergantino has shown steady improvement this season.

• Cady Lalanne (6-10 253) Senior center from Orlando, Florida; he prepped at Oak Ridge. Returning starter and preseason All-Atlantic 10 pick. The strong inside presence for UMass, he will be a challenge for Rhody. The big man can also drain treys when left unguarded outside. Lalanne had 10 points and 14 rebounds in the win over George Mason. He had 17 points and 13 rebounds in the Wednesday night loss to Davidson.
Coach Kellogg typically cycles through his roster at a quick rate. In the game against LaSalle, every healthy scholarship UMass player had checked into the game within the first five minutes; by the game’s end, every member of the Minutemen played at least 11 minutes.

The Minutemen are long and they are athletic. They use an up-tempo offensive style and full-court pressure defense, with much of their offense coming from their defense.

UMass excels in games that feature more possessions and less time setting up in the half court. Conversely, the Minutemen are capable of executing poorly in their halfcourt offense, resulting in the occasional long period of not scoring.

Look -- URI may be entering the Mullins Center on Saturday with a better resume than UMass, but I fully expect this to be a close game, especially if the Rams give the Minutemen space to operate in a transition-based game. That being said, I also look for Rhody to come out on top in this weekend matchup between two longtime regional rivals.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #16: @ Massachusetts - Saturday 2:30pm

Unread post by section(105) »

Must win game, critical game, statement game, bounce back game, greatest hated opponent league game.......whatever, slipping to 3-2 in conference play is unacceptable...... Get it done Rhody!!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Both teams are coming off disappointing, close losses home. One will continue that agony. URI has had tough luck against UMass over the last several years and now it's time to change all that if we are to compete in the upper part of conference. A chance for URI team to show heart and character.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The Ortiz/Ramirez Red Sox used to wear shirts for BP and in the clubhouse that said "Somebody's Gotta Pay." On Saturday, that somebody will be UMass.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

I think the VCU game was a big game, but history shows UMASS absolutely owns us. Personally, I feel this game is will truly prove if "THE PROCESS," is working. If we beat umass saturday, my outlook on this team will be completely changed. Maybe it will even make me drive from Boston to catch a home game ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) jk
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Been too hurt from the game on Tuesday to post many thoughts on it, but one thing I would really like to see carry over into the UMass game is our attacking nature on offense that we had for the first 35 minutes against VCU.

I thought that was what we did best and what gave us a great shot to win the game - we didn't "make it a half-court game" in the sense of deliberately trying to slow them down, but as soon as VCU would pressure we would pass out of it and keep the ball moving faster than they could rotate while attacking the basket. One post in the VCU game thread noted that besides our 8 3-point attempts all our shots seemed to come within four feet of the basket, though the post was made in a negative sense, IMO that was the best part of our game plan.

I would love to see that same attitude and execution for the rest of the season whenever teams try to trap or use any sort of pressure, take advantage of the mini 4-3 breaks. I'm sure the coaches preached it leading up to the VCU game to not allow their defense time to recover, but it would be great to see it become second nature for our offense to maybe get some easy baskets when that happens a few times per game against opponents that do not pressure as much.
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

I have faith they will fix the mistakes made in the half court offense in the last 5 minutes, (EC takes on the world) and continue to improve closing out games. It was so fun to watch them move the ball inside out leading to wide open layups. I have spent a lot of time watching Umass and they cannot defend for Sh*t. We should win this game.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

This game is all about Lalanne. Hold him to something like 13/7 and I think Rhody wins. Can't give up like a 24/12.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

section(105) wrote:Must win game, critical game, statement game, bounce back game, greatest hated opponent league game.......whatever, slipping to 3-2 in conference play is unacceptable...... Get it done Rhody!!
100%

Perfect post.

Off to Amherst, no excuses....attack, push and defend.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Games against teams such as UMass are what will make or break this URI season. There is a big middle ground of mediocre teams in the A-10. URI should beat the bottom teams. The difference maker is how it does vs the UMass, LaSalles, Richmonds, and St Bonas of the league.
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

RF1, nail on the head.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Spot on, RF1. This game worries me.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Any away game should give everyone plenty to worry about. We need good, not necessarily great games from JT and JG to come away with the win. A good game would include them making some 3's to help open the floor making it easier for EC to find an open lane to the hoop. We are also due to get a good game from Gil which is quite overdue!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My biggest concern about this one is their size, especially when/if they go zone. Should be a close game.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It was clear against VCU that we are a different (and much better looking) team when the speed of the games picks up. That is the best I've seen us look (considering the competition) in years. I will be interested to see whether we are able to force the game to be played at a higher speed than UMass would prefer. We definitely should be trying to do so.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It's because we attacked the basket most of the night, with
most points coming in the paint, instead of
trying to hit jumpers.
Unfortunately, we'll be facing zones in many games, which will
get us bogged down in the grinder of our half court offense.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

TruePoint wrote:It was clear against VCU that we are a different (and much better looking) team when the speed of the games picks up. That is the best I've seen us look (considering the competition) in years. I will be interested to see whether we are able to force the game to be played at a higher speed than UMass would prefer. We definitely should be trying to do so.
NFL comparison - our offense is a QB who is great when faced with a blitz, but struggles when the defense drops back into coverage...
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

U-Mass has two, experienced inside men we watched develop over the years in Maxie Echo and Cady Lalanne. As GBG stated, any way we can neutralize Lalanne inside without fouling like crazy is key. I’ve been satisfied with our press and the intensity of our perimeter D but Saturday we are going to need our ‘bigs’ to step up inside. Gil is going to be key and can’t get into any sort of foul trouble early on (where have we heard this before?). Hass can only do so much and Jarred is still learning and we can only expect so much against those U-Mass upperclassmen. Earl may have to step in for some quality minutes. As much as I hate U-Mass I will miss watching that little SOB Chaz Williams.

With us coming off a tough VCU loss and U-Mass getting left in Davidson’s dust last night, both teams should be angry going into Saturday. At this point in the season U-Mass can’t afford a loss to us and have any modicum of hope other than taking the tournament in Brooklyn come March.

Davidson has had no problem acclimating to the A-10 and are a great addition. (They are coming to the Ryan Center on 2/25).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, you can't match up with UMass with
a 4 guard offense.
If we try to, we'll get slaughtered inside.
Hassan against the world, will get him in foul trouble.
You saw what happened against VCU when he went out.
Gil HAS to play more than 11 minutes. Earl needs to see more time, too.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:It's because we attacked the basket most of the night, with
most points coming in the paint, instead of
trying to hit jumpers.
Unfortunately, we'll be facing zones in many games, which will
get us bogged down in the grinder of our half court offense.
My new thing is that VCU doesn't get "bogged down" when they play teams like UMass and Duquesne. I realize we are not VCU (yet) but I am really convinced now that we have to do whatever we can to dictate that tempo if we want to be a good team.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yes we need our bigs to get in there and produce. I can see Hass blocking some Lalanne shots, Cady doesn't really jump all that high when he shoots/ go's up slow/ weak, and I've seen him get embarrassed by some athletic guys like Hass. He'll likely be a force regardless and Esho is so long and athletic. All over the place. Our D should be able to make them play pretty sloppy.
It's gonna be a border state war as always though.
Losing this would really suck and no Ram wants to deal with that outcome.
Maybe we blow them out like we have after our other losses.
66-44
75-43
83-44

Ima go out on a branch and say we win
70-49
They deserve that fate Saturday.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Playing a team like UMass, with their size, in a half court game, will likely not end well for us.

I thought we would play well against VCU because the tempo they play suits us.

We have to find a way to move the ball and get easy baskets. Tough for us to do against a zone, especially a zone with size.

Just have to find a way to win what looks like it will be a close game. Beating Fordham and Duquesne in close games are easier than beating the better teams that way.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI has had a big bounce back win (mostly blowouts) after every loss this season. It would sure be nice for this trend to continue.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Bottom line is we need more from our front court. Not Hassan, everybody else.

Huge step every time we play the mediocre to bottom teams. Have to separate ourselves from them. Like RF1 said.

Also us Rhody faithful deserve a UMASS win.

I thought we could beat VCU and watching the game we should have. THESE GAMES THOUGH. The Umasses of the world need to go down.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

UMass and PC are always the two games every year that cause me to have even more irrational bursts of rage then normal games.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I/ll say, we will be what the records says after the UMass game, with a win, a top level A-10 team competing for the regular season champs or with a loss sliding back into the soup of the middle pack.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

[TP Edit: Native's write-up has been included in the original post at the top of the thread.]
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Nice write up, Native!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thanks, Native!!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The most important game of the year !!!!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

I don't think its the most important game. However, that doesn't change my infinite hatred for UMass. I think we SHOULD win this game.
The most important game left on the season would have to be either GW at home on the 31st. Or @ Dayton March 3rd. Honorable mention to Davidson at home on Feb 25th. UMass doesn't deserve that type of respect.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I see what Ramulous is saying. Our next game is always the most important one, when we don't have any margin for error. A loss Saturday would be a setback in our goal to finish top 4 in the league.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's important, because we have yet to lose two in a row this year.
It's important, because UMass is our most hated rival in the A-10.
It's important, because single Al Skinner first became coach,
we rarely beat them. Prior to that, we have a good edge in the series.
So, yes, it's a very important game, for numerous reasons.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If there's only going to be 2 or 3 bids from this conference, every game is big.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

ATPTourFan wrote:I see what Ramulous is saying. Our next game is always the most important one, when we don't have any margin for error. A loss Saturday would be a setback in our goal to finish top 4 in the league.
Well yeah...that goes without saying. Of course the next game is the point of focus and the team should NEVER look past it or DOOM shall follow. But from a ranking and power stand point... GW, Dayton and Davidson are the strongest competition remaining. Playing and beating these teams will directly play a role in tie breakers and standings in the top tier of our league.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Glad they put my quote up on their board,
about their Frankenstein team, and agree
it's 100% accurate.
0 x
nilesgold
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by nilesgold »

UMass fan here. I had a question for URI fans and figured I'd give my take on the game from a UMass perspective.

First off, does URI employ a zone defense to any degree?

For those of you worried about UMass using a zone against URI, it probably won't happen unless you're already up by 10+ points and UMass is in foul trouble. UMass simply doesn't use a zone defense most of the time. I think they've maybe thrown a zone out there for 10 minutes all year. On the flip side, UMass' offense is terrible at attacking a zone. UMass also struggles against teams that play man-to-man defense and are able to shut down Lalanne and Esho 1 on 1 without bringing help defenders.

UMass is a solid man-to-man defensive team, especially lately, and an excellent offensive team in transition. But for the most part they're a terrible half-court offensive team, they have no excellent shooters and only a few mediocre ones. Take away the paint and transition opportunities and barring an unusually good shooting night they're dead in the water.

In their last game, UMass led Davidson most of the way, then collapsed in the final few minutes. I only watched the last few minutes of the URI/VCU game, but that's a lot like what the ending of the UMass/Davidson game was like. Hard to say what this game is going to be like, but if URI is content to run and let the game get a little sloppy I think it favors UMass. If URI grinds it out in the half-court it favors URI.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

"the most important game of the year" is an evolving concept based on many factors......we win this game and there may well be 15 more most important games of the year.....lose it...and there may be only 2 or 3 most important games of the year left.....we have to win this game.....

......we have to win this game.....we have to win this game....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Niles, thanks for dropping by and giving the scout on UMass. It sounds like a report one of us could give on URI, almost verbatim. It seems likely that Hurley would quit coaching if they made a rule change requiring teams to play zone for one possession per game, so it is very unlikely that you will see URI play any zone.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Haven't beaten them since 2012 game at RC.
Haven't beaten them there since '09.
Most important game because it's the next one.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Shutting down both Esho and Lalanne is the trick.

Hassan will shut down one of them, but the other is likely to have a good day.

If Watson plays, our chances might be better on defense.

With Gil, he's too soft on defense. What he gives us on offense [when he's on, which isn't much lately] he gives back on D.

If this game is a half court game all day, don't look for much scoring. The team that shoots the 3 better will win it. FT's could factor in.

URI is due to make some 3's. This would be a good day to do it.
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Just win. I really can't stand UMass. It's fans, it's players, it's coach, it's alum. Everyone. Just win.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

It would suck to not have depth in the frontcourt in this game. More pressure on Gil and Hass to stay out of foul trouble.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well thats not ideal.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It will be hard to replace Earl's 3 minutes.....
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Good point TP, not like Dan plays him anyways. However, tomorrow's matchup seemed to be one in which he could be used more (big team, opposition doesn't use much zone). Either way, not having even the option isn't ideal.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Could have an Iffy sighting in Amherst.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Totally right BPR. Tomorrow likely would have been a great opportunity for him and he really could help us if he can get on the floor against a bigger team with a more traditional lineup. I was just making a snide remark.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's a big deal if we have to use IFFY instead.
0 x