URI football: History is chasing us

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
gorhody89
ARD

Re: URI football: History is chasing us

Unread post by gorhody89 »

3-33 in our last 36!!! Just a few million dollars for each win, what a value
0 x
Clapton is God
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RHODY WINS!!!!!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it's a miracle!
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody10ltu09
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody10ltu09 »

First upset of the day!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Still not sure I get the playcall on 4th down but whatever I'll take the win.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Congratulations to the Rhody football staff and players. The season must have been rough on them but they hung in there and got a win in their last game.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great win so happy for these guys
0 x
GO RAMS
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Great day at Meade,
Need to get my voice back for tonight!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Really nice win for the team. It doesn't change the long term prognosis, but it certainly gives everyone a better feeling going into the offseason and sends out the seniors that worked their ass off the right way. Now it's time to make the necessary improvements to make sure this doesn't happen again.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Way to go Rhody football! So happy for you guys!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Super happy for Rhody gridiron.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Must have limited turnovers and played 4 quarters.
If Rams had played 4 quarters each game this year,it was a four-five win season easy.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Some All conference accolades here. Deserving guys, I think Tim Wienclaw was snubbed though.
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 11256o8cxt
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Wienclaw got shaft.
Mckeenan (TE) and Cooper are better players in conference,but young and not enough touches.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URI has offered John Toppa, the Portsmouth kid who is the QB at Hendricken. He has already committed to UCONN on a baseball scholarship. He's most likely the best football player in the state and almost definitely the best baseball player in the state. He won MVP of the recent Super Bowl and was also MVP of the baseball state championship in the spring as a junior, one hell of an athlete.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

While I think we can compete with UConn on the baseball field, we obviously can't compete with their football program, even though that's currently in shambles.

They are on a way different level. Tough to compete against that for recruits.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The QB for Burrillville is 6-6, 250......they won their lower division championship....never have seen him play however
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would say the overall talent level here is going to improve over the next couple of years.

Fleming will bring in better players, in spite of the difficulties in recruiting CAA level talent to Kingston.

How much better will determine the ultimate fate of this program.

Better talent or not, just like the PG on the BB team, you have to have the one guy who can run the show at a high level, the QB.

I don't think what they currently have at that position is the answer. Injured or not.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

My question about the Toppa thing. Can someone get out of an OLI at one school to commit to another school in a different sport? I doubt he would do this because he has a professional future in baseball. I was just wondering.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

John Toppas Dad was on team with friend of mine who was WR at BC. Highly touted out of Rogers,never played in college. Very few RI QBs have had success at any level of college FB. Particularly D1. Larry Caswell,Roger Pierson and Liam Coen are a few. I would love to see a RI kid do well at QB,but not the time to take a chance on such at Rhody. Too big a jump IMO.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Toppa can absolutely play at URI for football. He has a future in baseball. Kid will be a very good college player
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

SeanMc-Toppa III can play QB in CAA?? Or some other position?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I think he can play qb; but hes going to play baseball at a much higher level.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Toppa was hitting 3rd in the Hendricken lineup as a sophomore. That's how good he is. The kid can flat out rake.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

0 x
Go Rhody!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

With today's loss we have clinched our 14th losing season in a row. The previous school record was nine, set during the 1913-22 seasons.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

OT, but whoa, did anyone see the last play of the Michigan-Michigan St. game?

About as bizarre a play as I've ever seen.

Must really suck to be a Michigan fan tonight.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:OT, but whoa, did anyone see the last play of the Michigan-Michigan St. game?

About as bizarre a play as I've ever seen.

Must really suck to be a Michigan fan tonight.....
Yeah, that was hilarious. But try being a Notre Dame fan. We had the game won in the 1st qtr, up two scores and ready to go in for another TD, fumbled at the goal line and have been getting curb stomped since. By our biggest rival. It would be like URI blowing a 20 point lead to PC in the first half then getting blown out. I want to cry.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: Yeah, that was hilarious. But try being a Notre Dame fan. We had the game won in the 1st qtr, up two scores and ready to go in for another TD, fumbled at the goal line and have been getting curb stomped since. By our biggest rival. It would be like URI blowing a 20 point lead to PC in the first half then getting blown out. I want to cry.
Glad they pulled that one out. My wife, an ND grad and diehard fan, was there for the game and although we head out to games every year this was her first USC game since the Bush push game so another bullshit loss to USC would have been tough to take.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Typical emotional roller coaster ND game. Glad she ended up seeing a good Irish win. I wish I woke up in SoCal to provoke SC fans today. All eight of them.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The football program has clinched its 15th straight losing season. The previous record was nine, set between 1913-22.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

With today's loss we have clinched our 16th straight losing season.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:With today's loss we have clinched our 16th straight losing season.

By URI's standards this season was a success. They spent a minimum amount on the program and did not go winless.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I didn't want to clutter the homecoming thread up more, because yesterday's game itself wasn't the problem but I crunched some numbers.

Who else remembers how bad the Patriots were in the early 90's? From 90-92 the Patriots went 9-39, so they won 23% of their games. Even though they had some recent success (Super Bowl season in 85, playoffs in 86, winning seasons in 87 and 88) things were so bad in those three years that fans stopped attending, games were regularly blacked out, and the team was on the way to Saint Louis.

URI football is WORSE than that. We have no recent success. Last made the playoffs in 85. Three winning seasons since then. THREE WINNING SEASONS SINCE 1985. No winning seasons since 2001. Most of our stadium was condemned in 09. Our last competitive season was 2010. Not winning, competitive. Since 2011 we are 11-64 for a winning percentage of 17.1875%. Remember, at the height of the "Patsies" era, they won 23% of their games and it was only a three year span. We've only won 17% of our games over a seven year span.

In the words of Taylor Twellman, what are we doing here? WHAT ARE WE DOING HERE?! How are you still having great days at Meade Stadium? If you're not crawling out of your fucking skin yet, what is it going to take? We had a winless season in 2012, that wasn't enough. Last year we lost a game by what, 77 points, that wasn't enough. Do we have to lose by more than 80? Does a team have to put up 100 against us? Do we have to lose by 100? Is there anything short of watching the East stands crumble underneath fans feet while watching us set a new record for season and game futility that will get a rise out of you? Is it that you just don't care? Is it that URI football isn't a passion for you, that the university isn't a passion for you, it's just some place you go and something you do because you don't have anything else to do on a Saturday?

I know people get mad at me for calling out "fans" but it's long past time to look yourself in the eye, because nothing is going to get better until you do. If you have a great time when URI football loses, you are part of the problem. If you're doing the same thing as a fan now that you were back on 2010 and 2001 and 1985, you are part of the problem. The biggest part of the problem. Because reporters come and go. Governors come and go. State representatives come and go. University presidents come and go. Athletic directors come and go. Football coaches come and go. But fans are for life. Nobody should be more passionate about this than us. And if no one from the group that's supposed to be the most passionate group is holding feet to the fire why should anything change? How can anything change?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. The Patriots were terrible for three years and fans revolted. We've been worse than that for at least seven years, and people had a great time yesterday. What are we doing here?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I saw 7200 people have a great day yesterday. There was traffic 2 Hours before the game backed up to get to the tailgating lots.
Biggest tailgating I have ever seen at URI.
For a team with 1 win
They were happy before and during the game and many went back to tailgating again after the game.
For me it shows the potential for football at URI.
For you it shows they are the cause of the inept performance of the team for years. They should all stay home.
Majority of these people were their to visit their children who are going to school at URI right now. They were wearing URI apparel, brimimg with pride that their son, daughter, brother, sister, cousin or friend was going to school at URI. Beautiful day, tailgating , chance to meet new friends, reconnect with old friends, etc were why the majority were at the game. Were people grousing, swearing, burning their season tickets outside the stadium after the game? No, very little of that, but that’s because it’s not that type of crowd.
Blaming the attitude of this group of 7200 people is your thing, but I don’t see this group of 7200 driving the change you want.

If you would go to the game you might better see what I mean in viewing this fan base that attended the game.

My guess is half couldn’t name the two quarterbacks for URI.

Again, to me, yesterday shows the potential for URI Football in Kingston. The 7200 crowd does not represent an endorsement of Thor, Dooley, Fleming, The Offensive Coordinator, the Condition of the East Stands, etc.
And the 7200 was really there at the game, not the that was announced for Bryant a few weeks ago that was clearly not at the game.

There are huge tailgating crowds at the games or teams that are in the rock bottom of their conferences year after year. That’s college football, students, alumni, coming for the social aspect of the game. That’s what happened yesterday. To blame them for coming and saying they are the reason the team is in last or second to the last place every year is not really addressing the problem.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Seriously, are you that naive or are you just trying to obsolve yourself of culpability? Thorr said one of the big reasons they fired Baron when they did was declining attendance. People voted with their wallets and the athletic department listened. Whether people want it to be or not, buying tickets is an endorsement of condemned East stands, Jim Fleming, his son the OC and 16 years of losing seasons.

I was part of the problem for too long. I don't know how far back the archives go at this point but you'll see that from old football threads. One of the few people posting, positive, season ticket holder. I was enabling this futility with my support. Just like you are now. But I'm done with that. People like you aren't part of the solution which means you're the problem. How can we convince the university things need to improve if attendance is still there? Why should they lose more money each year if people are already having a great time and it only costs $500,000 each year instead of a million? How can we convince the state house they need to spend money on new stands because what we have is unsafe when people are sitting in the unsafe stands?

Your continued endorsement of the program is hurting the program you say you care about. Things won't improve until people say enough is enough, improve or I'm out.

Honest question, do you really want URI football to get better? Because your actions are doing nothing to help the cause. If you really want URI football to get better, how is staying the current course going to make things better? It hasn't in 16 years, in 30 years, why and how will things change now without fan action?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Seriously, are you that naive or are you just trying to obsolve yourself of culpability? Thorr said one of the big reasons they fired Baron when they did was declining attendance. People voted with their wallets and the athletic department listened. Whether people want it to be or not, buying tickets is an endorsement of condemned East stands, Jim Fleming, his son the OC and 16 years of losing seasons.

I was part of the problem for too long. I don't know how far back the archives go at this point but you'll see that from old football threads. One of the few people posting, positive, season ticket holder. I was enabling this futility with my support. Just like you are now. But I'm done with that. People like you aren't part of the solution which means you're the problem. How can we convince the university things need to improve if attendance is still there? Why should they lose more money each year if people are already having a great time and it only costs $500,000 each year instead of a million? How can we convince the state house they need to spend money on new stands because what we have is unsafe when people are sitting in the unsafe stands?

Your continued endorsement of the program is hurting the program you say you care about. Things won't improve until people say enough is enough, improve or I'm out.

Honest question, do you really want URI football to get better? Because your actions are doing nothing to help the cause. If you really want URI football to get better, how is staying the current course going to make things better? It hasn't in 16 years, in 30 years, why and how will things change now without fan action?
Bud, if you feel that strongly about it, maybe you should go to the place on game day, make up a few signs and picket. Something like "Go Home! What are you doing here?!? You're Killing the Program!!"? Confront real people - like players' families and friends - in real life instead of on a message board?

I just don't think people actively/purposefully protest this kind of thing. As long as it's fun for them...they'll go. And for a lot of people, it's a social event where winning and losing doesn't matter much. I didn't go, even though I love college football and could've walked there, just because I knew they wouldn't win...I don't consider that active protest, for me, it's just not fun to go to a game where you know your team will lose - I'd rather do yard work. If a team is winning and people aren't showing up, I get trying to convince them to do so....but, not sure there's ever any real gain from telling people not to go to something. jmo
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Seriously, are you that naive or are you just trying to obsolve yourself of culpability? Thorr said one of the big reasons they fired Baron when they did was declining attendance. People voted with their wallets and the athletic department listened. Whether people want it to be or not, buying tickets is an endorsement of condemned East stands, Jim Fleming, his son the OC and 16 years of losing seasons.

So Thor fired Baron because of declining attendance, ok. So if attendance had not declined Baron would still be here I suppose with that logic. Thor extended Baron - extended his contract!!! Baron went because Thor set goals for him in wins and post season tournament achievement - which he didn't achieve. That is why he started recruiting players with some questionable backgrounds - he was under pressure to achieve those goals. Credit Thor for putting the goals out there. Baron's last seasons were low win totals - so out he went.

Baron pulled the wool over the eyes of fans, reporters, administration for years. Even in his later years he promoted having the most wins in URI history over a 5 year period. Scheduling cupcakes, scheduling the max regular season games (no way Baron would only have 29 of a possible 31 games on the schedule this year like DH) paying to play in post season Tournaments other than the NCAA or NIT that he couldn't get into)
You yourself has pointed at declining attendance at URI Football games. It's a fact it has declined. So now what? It needs to decline more? Look at the numbers. Does it need to go to zero? How much lower? I can tell you the attendance drop has already happened. So what now? Blame me because I went?

Problem is the attendance is a symptom, not the cause.

It's easy to blame the fans like me.

I have said over and over again I want this team to win. Not happy when they lose. But if you chose to not attend an event like yesterday and proudly wear your URI apparel then that is or course you choice, but certainly not mine.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Lets please stop pumping up a homecoming and family weekend attendance number like it means anything. You had thousands of students who were forced to spend the weekend with their parents and couldn't think of anything better to do. A winning program wouldn't bring the majority of those people back unless it was family weekend and homecoming again.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:Lets please stop pumping up a homecoming and family weekend attendance number like it means anything. You had thousands of students who were forced to spend the weekend with their parents and couldn't think of anything better to do. A winning program wouldn't bring the majority of those people back unless it was family weekend and homecoming again.
Exactly...and if the team was "really good"...those people might not even be able to get tickets that weekend or any other for that matter...
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

If Thorr and Dooley do indeed care about the football program, then I think most on this board agree that they need to terminate Fleming at the end of this season. But then what? Who do they hire and what would they need to offer to get a quality head coach to want this job. The smart folks at Elon brought in a Div II coach with lots of experience at winning, 53 wins against 17 losses to be exact. The head coach of Assumption - Bob Chesney - has had similar success, 56 wins and 23 losses and on his way to an undefeated season and a 3rd straight trip to the DII playoffs. I doubt he would even consider URI because bigger opportunities are in his future. But why not find out what it would take to get him or another winning coach on the rise to come to URI. Find out what they think we need to do to build this program. This requires Thorr to accept that he had no clue in his last football coaching hire, bought a clunker, and now needs help in getting this thing right.

Another thought is going after Liam Coen. RI native, LaSalle HS and UMass legendary QB, currently Offensive Coordinator at Maine. Sure no head coaching experience but someone who would know what to do with our offensive talent and would definitely create a lot of excitement.

I am sure there are a lot other thoughts about finding the right person and what it will take to get them on board. Let's hear them. Time is late, let's get this train moving.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Bottom line, you get what you pay for and URI is getting left behind in the football arms race. Even at the FCS level.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If the admin thinks that they don't have to do anything to improve the program because there was a lot of people there for Homecoming and family day, then I don't know what, if anything, will ever be done to improve the program.

That is a pathetic excuse for losing....something that has been accepted for way too many years at URI.

Thorr and Dooley have done many good things for the athletic dept. since they've been here....but the biggest black mark on their resume when it comes to sports at URI is their complicity in ignoring even the basic needs for the football program to even be halfway decent....

If they dump Fleming they will have to pay for a better staff if they want to win games....another Fleming and the losing will continue....and that's just the start of what's needed...I for one have very little, if any, confidence they will do this.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:Lets please stop pumping up a homecoming and family weekend attendance number like it means anything. You had thousands of students who were forced to spend the weekend with their parents and couldn't think of anything better to do. A winning program wouldn't bring the majority of those people back unless it was family weekend and homecoming again.
I specifically said they were there because of Homecoming, because of Family Day. They were there in spite of a winning program. There are people who want football dropped at URI. There are people who think we should drop to a lower division. People think we should drop football because URI fans do not care about winning, only want to see the fall leaves, and love to misquote or take words out of context.

Do not think for a minute that there are not people who want football at URI discontinued and have all the money magically go to the basketball program
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Ed-you are 2nd person to mention Liam Coen. Great choice.
Would bet he and Chesney would listen.
Would add Rossamundo of CCSU to list.
Ramster-operative word is magical,nobody credible actually believes the $$ spent on FB would be pumped into other sports?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Except for Thorr when he announced the move to the NEC...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hal Kopp wrote:Ed-you are 2nd person to mention Liam Coen. Great choice.
Would bet he and Chesney would listen.
Would add Rossamundo of CCSU to list.
Ramster-operative word is magical,nobody credible actually believes the $$ spent on FB would be pumped into other sports?
Coen would be an excellent choice. So would the others mentioned.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is accurate, but only to a degree. The reality on the other side is, homecoming wouldn't bring the majority of those people anywhere without football.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
This is accurate, but only to a degree. The reality on the other side is, homecoming wouldn't bring the majority of those people anywhere without football.
For the homecoming aspect of it, you are correct. Those that came strictly because it was homecoming would not have been on campus for any other reason otherwise. But all those parents didn't only came to visit their children at college on Family Weekend because we have a football team.

Bottom line, its awesome that there was a great crowd there yesterday. I just don't think it's something that should be looked at as some kind of statement on what could be since there were other factors in play.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:
I specifically said they were there because of Homecoming, because of Family Day. They were there in spite of a winning program. There are people who want football dropped at URI. There are people who think we should drop to a lower division. People think we should drop football because URI fans do not care about winning, only want to see the fall leaves, and love to misquote or take words out of context.

Do not think for a minute that there are not people who want football at URI discontinued and have all the money magically go to the basketball program
I think the amount of people who truly want football at URI dropped are very very few. And I am also willing to bet that the vast majority of those people are simply speaking out of anger and embarrassment at what our football program has become. I think if given the choice between a respectable football program (I'm not talking national titles here, just a competitive team most years) and dropping football, many of those people would choose a respectable program.

As for the whole "fall leaves" thing, you have to realize that's just an easy line to grasp onto when trying to make a bigger point about how pathetic URI Football has become. I've done it before as well. Hell in a lot of your comments about the game on Saturday you continue to talk about what a beautiful day it was. It's just sad that on the list of things to be happy about when it comes to URI Football one of the main recurring themes is weather related. It sure would be nice if that wasn't the case.
0 x