Game #8: @ Providence College - GameDay!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game #8: @ Providence College - GameDay!!

Unread post by Blue Man »

Having more of a grip this morning...a slightly more rational take:

Ed Cooley is a very good coach. Had a day to prep after 2 bad losses and made the changes he needed to. He hasn't lost against us.

Dan is developing as a coach as well. I get that he can't make guys catch passes or make shots...but he needs to have them playing in a style where they can. The gil and Reischel mistakes were killers and the play was there...we didn't execute.

But again, our substitution patterns continue to bewilder. Getting killed on the glass? Where was watson? Couldn't shoot? Butler? Reischel?

Why is there a short leash with those guys tonight when no one outside of EC and Hass were playing well?

While a lot of our offensive problems were execution on the court...our defense was the worst it had been all year. PC didn't change the way the attacked....and they had the baseline/backdoor screen open all night. Didn't change anything.

Free throw shooting is completely on the players first and the staff a close second. It is a mechanical issue only. A free throw is the same in the dunk, in the Ryan center, from California to the New York island.

Jimmy Baron shot a thousand a day. Shot them in the dark. Shot them in different gyms. Billy Baron was the same way...big surprise, they were good.

Want a better example from someone who wasn't a good shooter? Adrian Payne from mich st was a 45% ft shooter his freshman year. He graduated shooting in the 80s last year. He was a big guy, so I don't get why anyone can't do it. It's work ethic only.

Yeah we'll win 20 games this year but I have a feeling it'll feel hollow thanks to the lack of quality wins, and year number 5 of losing to PC, year number 16 of not dancing, and adopting the next year mantra..

Of course we're young and will get better this year. Yes all our talent is sophomore or younger, maybe we'll get it together to run through a weak A10 tourney (been a while since we even won a game in that too), but the losing is really starting to get to me.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

My observations from the dunk:

1. Biruta reminded me of Chris Scotti last night. If he could have played better I think we see a different outcome.
2. My son' 11 yo team shoots better FT's than Rhody. This game always comes down to FT shooting.
3. EC was the best player on the floor.
4. We need another scorer to help EC out. It was frustrating waiting for someone else to take a shot on the perimeter.
5. PC is huge. Every matchup they had the height advantage. We need a true big man.
6. On PC post-game show their Asst coach said they extended the zone out not to get beat by the 3. They just were fine letting us get it into the paint and fouling us.
7. That foul call on TJ at the end was horrendous. He got all ball and the ball went off 24 leg and I think by that happening the ref thought there was contact. Huge play in the game.

oh yeah one last thing. Too many timeouts in the game today. Games have no flow.

Overall we are getting close. As I was talking with another URI guy we talked about this rebuild and how it felt like URI was coming off a death penalty. There are some nice pieces just need some time to grow together and definitely need 1 more scorer.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

As much as this could be about free throws, you don't tend to get that much better over the course of a career. Sure, there are exceptions, but having them shoot 1,000 free throws a day probably isn't a good idea because then you are taking away from something else, like offensive execution. These kids have shot a million FTs each in their lives. And, really, as much as it was about FTs and those are the ones that really hurt as you watch the game, PC had more boards, blocks, steals, and free throw attempts. And less turnovers. The game was close because EC was a bloody beast. Have to win games he goes off like that. I thought the defense was good enough to win but the offense failed us again. While putting TJ at the foul line was a nice adjustment, the reality is that is a 5th grade CYO adjustment. It's a deeper issue. Zones are beaten with quick pace and passing that changes the court. The were passing like Eeyore out there, giving PC time to catch up to everything. And no overloads or anything. 60 points on 64 possessions when EC goes absolutely ape is really bad. I get it..the coaches can't take shots or free throws or hold onto the ball. That's fair. But, I do think it's a deeper issue. How many easy buckets does Rhody get? Every possession where EC doesn't grab the ball and take over is like the Bataan Death March.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

rodfromcranston wrote:Another disappointment. I don't recall PC ever running five in a row from us.
It sucks!
They lost 6 straight from the 81/82 season through the 86/87 season.
:(
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Jimmy and Billy shot a thousand free throws a day on their own accord, it wasn't that it took away from practice time it was that they are that dedicated to the art of shooting.

Players get better at shooting with practice, it happens to the best of players, check your old Jordan highlights, he was an average shooter at best when he got to the NBA.

Freethrows, jumpshots, hookshots, whatever kind of shot you want to excel at, comes down to mechanics and rhythm, mechanics are coachable, perfect rhythm takes practice and a lot of it.

I get the idea that teams can't afford the time to spend practicing freethrows at this level, but perhaps this particular team can't afford to not. Maybe we didn't lose last night because of freethrow shooting, but we've lost a good handful over the last several years because of them, or our lack of executing them anyway.

Something creative needs to be done to make time or encourage players to make time. Freethrows should be so engrained into the muscle movement of the players, they should be like Hendrix playing a C chord, or like you and I putting on a pair of socks.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I was talking to an AAU person, who has been to practices at
URI and PC.
He said URI does not have a specific time put aside for free throws.
He said Cooley will at the end of practice, when the players are tired,
pick random players to shoot free throws.
If they don't make it, they have to run laps.
Food for thought. There was a reason PC was one of the best in the US last year
shooting free throws.
There's time in practice for this. It's important and should not be left to the
players own devices.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Anyone can "get in a rhythm" and hit FTs. That's why it's important to shoot them randomly. Tired, keyed up, pressure of running as punishment. It's not important to hit 80 out of 100; if you miss 8 of the first 10.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Exactly. If you lose important games year after year,
due to poor free throw shooting, it's time to address it as a
real problem.
Kids would rather practice cross overs and dunks than free throws.
The Baron boys and the Ray Allens of the world are the exceptions,
not the rule.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I don't understand going with that 4 guard lineup for so long. No, we weren't going to be able to match their size even with our bigs but we weren't out quicking them and we certainly weren't out shooting them so what was the point? We didn't even start pressing until the end. Butler played more minutes than Watson and Reischel. It seemed like Hurley was committed to go 4 guards when Gil was out no matter the results.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Our high school team did something like that. At the end of practice, when we were tired, everyone shot free throws. Two shots, don't make both, you run.....make both, take a shower. Some guys were there for a while. Make it like game conditions. You're tired....you take two foul shots. Miss them, you get punished. Make them, you get rewarded.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That left Hassan Martin alone to contend with a 7 footer,
and a 6'9" player.
I could get the four guards at the end, when we were pressing,
but this happened much earlier.
No idea what Butler was in the game for. He can't cover anyone,
and added nothing on offense.
I wanted to see Oneykaba come in an hack Chuckwu.
We may have depth, but it certainly isn't quality depth, when you
get all of five points from your bench.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Listen, there are ways to get better at the margins in free throw shooting. Jim Boeheim tried everything he could with Sherman Douglas. You name it, they tried it. And, really, some of it comes with getting used to big crowds, loud arenas, etc. as a frosh. So, I think you'll see someone like JT improve. He's not a 56% guy. But, Biruta shot 63% at Rutgers. Minnis shot 58% at TT. Reischel shot 63% at Rice. Part of evaluating a recruit or a transfer is shooting. And shooting free throws. By definition, half of the teams will shoot below average. And it's not all because of practice or lack thereof. These coaches aren't dumb.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

FWIW, Rich Coren posted a very complimentary piece on the game.
Talks about Ed Cooley's comments on Hurley's friendship and the
positive direction of our program. Very classy post.
Most of the comments over there are very reasoned and positive.
They love EC.
Lots of comments on Dan being very different on the bench than two years
ago.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

We have too many players right now who are little to no offensive threat....If EC leaves for the NBA we will win 10 games next season
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We beat So. Miss by 32, with EC scoring 8 points.
Besides, he's not going anywhere.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Great thread guys. Keep it coming. Great thoughts on improving our FT shooting.

The staff needs to make this a priority, and the players do too. They need someone, anyone, to take the lead and make them work harder at it.

Anything to help us win games, when we have other issues that aren't as easy to fix.

Remember, teams can steal games by shooting FT's better than their opponents.

We, unfortunately, give games away by doing the opposite.

I'm surprised it seems like Dan isn't on this.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:We beat So. Miss by 32, with EC scoring 8 points.
Besides, he's not going anywhere.
Should he and will he, of course, are two different questions. Southern Miss is awful...the six teams surrounding them in rankings are UT-Arlington, Georgia Southern, Nevada, Dartmouth, UNC-Wilmington, and W. Carolina. Throw it out. Throw Kansas out. The three teams that are closest to Rhody are Nebraska, G Tech, and Providence. They have scored 189 points in 209 possessions. It's just frustrating because they can play defense. They can definitely press. They can rebound. They have a great college scorer. They just can't generate anything easy on offense. And, I am just not sure we see that change this year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Next-day thoughts:
-- I thought Hurley coached a good game so i don't get the harping. They were patient against the zone and didn't settle for 3's.
-- But I don't think this team is as good as Hurley thinks it is. Good opponent and he shortens the rotation to basically 7.
-- EC was awesome. I can even handle the turnovers when he plays that well.
-- I like the two new recruits but Hurley needs to find more good players. If the APR can stand the hit then they should open up at least one more scholarship by cutting someone loose.
-- I still think Watson at some point will get more minutes.
-- Can we please stop with the Butler should play more comments. Five minutes and 0 shots against a ZONE.
-- URI isn't getting better quicker because the transfers are mediocre. Other teams, PC included, brought in better transfers.
-- The foul toward the end was a big mistake. Hurley said after the game that they weren't supposed to foul. Bad communication I guess.
-- I hate the Dunk more than ever. Thank God for the Ryan Center. The floor situation was an embarrassment.
-- I got to see Blue Man in person and was not offended. Impressed even.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Blue Man in person is more reasonable than some of his rants.
Agree with almost all of Iggy's post.
We have some deadwood on the roster. Like programs
who are successful, we need to replace deadwood with
real players.
If that means brizzing a couple of players, so be it.
Yes, I'd trade all of our transfers for Desrosiers and Harris in
a heartbeat. Sorry Ace.
0 x
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

I thought they hung in there well against a good team. EC's line looks great except for the 5 TO's. Need to clean that up. Overall, we lost because of free throws. They hit 80%, we hit 55%. That discrepancy alone was the difference in points. Agree with BAR that this team will vastly improve once we have solid PG play, which takes time. Biruta and Martin hold their own down low so not all that concerned about the height issue (although it is an issue). Clean up the TO's, get the FT % up to 75-80% and they win these type of games. Young team - will take some more time. I've still seen enough to be encouraged with their future. Terrell had a bad game overall but he played well during the pressure time at the end, which is a positive sign for a freshman. If Garrett can somehow catch up to Terrell in his development, his will be a different (and much more dangerous) team come Jan/Feb.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

One other thought on FTs: Could this be a byproduct of having a staff of mostly guys who never played the game at the college level? With all due respect to Carr, Murray, Tirone, wouldn't you rather have someone like Bobby Hurley helping you become a better FT shooter?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This team will never shoot 75-80% from the line. I'd be thrilled with 70%.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, I like Gil as a person, and I'm sure he's a terrific teammate.
However, he's not holding down his position and size is becoming a
real problem due to that.
He's under 9 ppg after last night, and only 6 rebounds a game, with 56% at the line.
Gil needs to pick it up, or his final season will be wasted.

Iggy, Preston was a great free throw shooter. Bobby is a given.
Now we have a staff of little guys who never played D-1 ball,
except for Dan
Also, who on this staff is qualified to work with big men?
Oneykaba was a three star recruited by Minnesota and others.
He hasn't developed at all. Who is that on? Some on him,
obviously, but it's not like he has Larry Farmer around
to show him the finer points of post play.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I am a Providence College fan and alumnus, but am a big college basketball fan in general. I like the URI team a lot this year. It isn't easy after a tough loss, but I think by March, they will be among the best teams in the A-10. If they had one more quality player for depth, I would pick them to win the league outright.

As the season develops, college basketball becomes more and more of a guard's game, so Matthews and Terrell should have URI in good shape down the stretch. Both URI and Providence have a lot of young players who will be much better come February.

Good Luck!
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I don't get the transfer thing. Biggie and Reischel were brought in when there was a desperate roster situation. Both are decent back-up role players at our level. There not as good as PC's transfers but PC's freshmen and sophmores aren't as good as ours. If Biggie was a stud, we might not have Garrett or Terrell. The much bigger personnel issue is we have only 2 players over 6-5 that Hurley thinks are worthy of minutes against a good team.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Two thoughts; 1) call the adjustment of resorting to TJ playing in the post area to catch and dish a CYO move or whatever, for me what is disturbing the coach is forced to go to this type move within this roster. And. . 2) not a fan of running as punishment for missed free throws in practice, coaching interventions in technique and more teachable moment reps are needed? If it is true that the free throw practice dedication or lack there of described by Rod is fact, I find that to be troubling....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thanks, Bigsnoop! Classy post.

BFC, size is a real problem. When only one of our frontcourt
contributes, it magnifies the situation.
We won't mention "he who shall remain nameless", who quit on
us two years running.
No worldbeater, but could have provided needed depth.

105, this is nothing compared to some of what goes on in football
practices countrywide.
Letting players run a lap for missing free throws in practice teaches them
to concentrate under pressure.
It's called coaching.
As for TJ in the high post, I saw Dave Gavitt beat us that way with 5'10" Skip Hayes.
It requires a player with good hands and good passing instincts. It's not a CYO move.
It's textbook.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Whatever works. Not sure what is meant by CYO move.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

On a personal note, yesterday I awoke to find the Sox lost Lester to the Cubs.
Then we lose to PC.
Then the Sox get some fat guy named Miley for two decent prospects.
Now my favorite player Yoenis Cespedes gets traded for a guy with a 4.34 career ERA.
I think I'll go and hide until the Pats play again.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Whatever works. Not sure what is meant by CYO move.
I think I get what he means, just that its not some secret strategy that he came up with, its a pretty basic way to beat the zone. But also not sure why that matters, it worked.

People want to bash him for not making adjustments, and then when he does and it works it doesn't count because it wasn't unique enough I guess.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rodfromcranston wrote:BFC, size is a real problem. When only one of our frontcourt
contributes, it magnifies the situation.
We won't mention "he who shall remain nameless", who quit on
us two years running.
No worldbeater, but could have provided needed depth.
But I think most of us thought giving Hare another chance was worthwhile because we assumed we still had Watson and Onyekaba to fall back on. But it turns out we don't. Yes its a guard oriented game and we're a guard oriented team but having zero frontcourt reserves who could come in last night is an issue alot bigger than Hare's disappearing encore. I don't know what Hurley doesn't like about Watson but having to play a 4 guard lineup against a team that big means there's clearly an issue with either our evaluation and recruitment of frontcourt players and/or our development of them.
Last edited by BFC 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

My problem with it was, by putting 4 guards in the game and having TJ in that important foul-line/high post position to be the passing guy in the zone, it exposed us on the defensive end and most importantly on the glass. They KILLED us in the 2nd half in rebounding, namely 2 putbacks by Harris off of misses. For a team that stresses defense and rebounding, we were exposed in those areas once Dan made the adjustment. We were better in the half-court offense for sure, but in terms of a plus minus, did it really help us until those last few minutes when we rattled them in a full court press?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Whatever works. Not sure what is meant by CYO move.
I think I get what he means, just that its not some secret strategy that he came up with, its a pretty basic way to beat the zone. But also not sure why that matters, it worked.

People want to bash him for not making adjustments, and then when he does and it works it doesn't count because it wasn't unique enough I guess.
Not only that but how many FG's did TJ take from there? Zero, one? Half the benefit to putting a guy there is to facilitate a reverse or floor change. The other half is that it is an empty spot in the zone that can be exposed by making foul line jumpers. If you are not a threat there, you lose the benefit of having guys crash on you and leaving others open. You can call it harping but I think most every other facet of this team is good enough to make the NCAA tournament. But, the offense lacks so much. Watching them pass like they were sleepwalking was horrible. That's on top of the lack of imagination in creating a good look. EC is just good enough to bulldoze through a zone and finish. The rest? Spectators. It's not about adjustments. It's about adjustments that work. And, like someone said, it left the team vulnerable on the glass.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I get what both of you are saying, GBG and BPR, and its true. But he made an adjustment, it helped in one area (in my opinion) and hurt in others. If he hadn't made that adjustment then the criticism this morning would just be on the other part of the game that lacked without it. So either way there was likely going to be a deficiency somewhere. That's just the fact of the matter when you have some holes on the team like we do right now. They were behind, and a move was made to attempt to score more points by having a guy in the middle that could make passes rather than stand there confused and dribble off his foot and fall down.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

You're right Adam, I was just pointing out what I saw. I give Dan credit for trying it out, because if he hadn't we'd be criticizing him for not doing anything like you said. Especially with how Gil was playing last night. Hands were tied when the guy you would think would flourish in that role in the zone offense just pissed all over himself last night.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think the comments here about not having asst. coaches who have played at this level and can teach is an accurate point. We've had some pretty good ones, looking back over the years. Larry Farmer, Al Skinner and Claude English, to name a few.
Last edited by ramfan85 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

You have all done a great job breaking down the game. My two cents on topics outside the actual gameplay:

-The game presentation and atmosphere at the Dunk vs The Ryan Center is night and day. I know I'm biased but I saw nothing even close to "enviable" attending that game that I'd wish to replicate or begin working into our home games.

-Multiple "tiers" of Dunk security came over to my section to tell Rhody students/fans/cheerleaders that we had to remain seated for the game as our standing was affecting the people situated an entire section behind us. I've never heard of anything like it in my life. Absolute insanity. Once it was pointed out that standing is well within the rights of ticketholders, they just walked off and lurked in the entranceway for the remainder of the game. Bush league.

-Ran into Tyson Wheeler at Blakes after the game. Great to see him and reminisce about days I hope we can replicate sooner than later.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BPR2010 wrote:You're right Adam, I was just pointing out what I saw. I give Dan credit for trying it out, because if he hadn't we'd be criticizing him for not doing anything like you said. Especially with how Gil was playing last night. Hands were tied when the guy you would think would flourish in that role in the zone offense just pissed all over himself last night.
Yeah exactly, I think we're on the same page there. Overall it still sucked though! :-)
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

EZBuckets wrote:You have all done a great job breaking down the game. My two cents on topics outside the actual gameplay:

-The game presentation and atmosphere at the Dunk vs The Ryan Center is night and day. I know I'm biased but I saw nothing even close to "enviable" attending that game that I'd wish to replicate or begin working into our home games.

-Multiple "tiers" of Dunk security came over to my section to tell Rhody students/fans/cheerleaders that we had to remain seated for the game as our standing was affecting the people situated an entire section behind us. I've never heard of anything like it in my life. Absolute insanity. Once it was pointed out that standing is well within the rights of ticketholders, they just walked off and lurked in the entranceway for the remainder of the game. Bush league.

-Ran into Tyson Wheeler at Blakes after the game. Great to see him and reminisce about days I hope we can replicate sooner than later.

The Dunk is not even close to being in the same league as the Ryan Center...I felt like I was at a preseason NBA game until there was about 10 mins left in the game...I still think we have plenty of things we can do to improve that atmosphere of the Ryan Center but WOW so glad we do not play in the Dunk, have those fans, and lame students...It was a similar atmosphere to a church, pretty pathetic if you ask me
0 x
Clapton is God
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

It seems every year when we play PC I'm reminded what real 7 footers look like. They are just way bigger down low. PC is a good team with good players it's too bad the loss to Brown woke them up for this one. Excited to start the a10 season with this group though.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

EZBuckets wrote:You have all done a great job breaking down the game. My two cents on topics outside the actual gameplay:

Agree with much of this, but I'm not crazy about people who stand a lot. Sure, when it's warranted after a big play or for the final couple of minutes of a close game. But if your right to stand interferes with my right to see the game .... They have seats for a reason.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think Butts could be a good guy to have at the free throw line? Haven't seen much of him but just going off what I know, a 6'7 guy that has some tween ability. He could work that spot in the zone possibly.

Gil not showing up was kind of par for him. I thought he turned a corner. disappointed in that. In sports or anything eventually people expect you to control your emotions and everything. After he elbowed that guy in the first half and made the hook shot I thought he was about to kill it. Too bad.

I would really like iffy to get more minutes, he worked Cliff Alexander out. Not a bunch but 5-10 a game. He is just incredibly strong in holding position. Makes the other teams guys have to bang with him. Tire them out.

The loss sucks. I still like us in the A10. Dan has a shot at a bid with this team if you think about where VCU is and the fact they come to us. He has to out-coach Shaka or at the least develop this team to be able to get wins. The trouncing of inferior teams seems like something these guys do. He has to pick up slack and get this team on the bubble.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Iggy1979 wrote: Agree with much of this, but I'm not crazy about people who stand a lot. Sure, when it's warranted after a big play or for the final couple of minutes of a close game. But if your right to stand interferes with my right to see the game .... They have seats for a reason.
Oh I can definitely understand where you are coming from as well. My main issue with the entire situation was that the group of URI fans took up the final rows of the section meaning there was a concourse and staircase leading up to the 200 level section above and they were the ones "complaining". It was physically impossible for the standing fans to obstruct their view a section below.
0 x
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

While the loss wasn't fun...it reminded me how much I love the Ryan Center. Much better atmosphere in my opinion.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

EZBuckets wrote:-The game presentation and atmosphere at the Dunk vs The Ryan Center is night and day. I know I'm biased but I saw nothing even close to "enviable" attending that game that I'd wish to replicate or begin working into our home games.
I think having an actual DJ who was visible was fairly interesting as opposed to just a faceless person who plays music, and I think the area right below the main scoreboard could be used as a place to have that if we choose to replicate it. That said, I don't think it's a particularly big deal if we do or don't try to replicate it.

As a whole the atmosphere for a rivalry game was just piss poor. Friar fans were loud for a grand total of about 2 minutes when they went on their main run in the second half. If I were a Friar fan I'd be embarrassed about how bad the fan base was last night.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

PC and URI are pretty equal, but PC had the advantage being at home and pulled out the win. Well played by them.

I don't know why people were discussing a possible tourney invite this year. This team is promising but young. We have a great coaching and support staff, a great athletic department, and a young team. Our nucleus is underclassmen! I couldn't be a bigger supporter of what's being done in Kingston, I was a member of the previous coaching staff's teams and you can just tell by the body language of the players now that times have changed.

I, for one, am being patient but hopeful. This team will continue to improve as the year progresses and who knows where they'll up. Let our core mature and learn to play the college game. Please continue to support the staff and players that's very crucial.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

EZBuckets wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: Agree with much of this, but I'm not crazy about people who stand a lot. Sure, when it's warranted after a big play or for the final couple of minutes of a close game. But if your right to stand interferes with my right to see the game .... They have seats for a reason.
Oh I can definitely understand where you are coming from as well. My main issue with the entire situation was that the group of URI fans took up the final rows of the section meaning there was a concourse and staircase leading up to the 200 level section above and they were the ones "complaining". It was physically impossible for the standing fans to obstruct their view a section below.
They have room in front of the seat to stand for a reason.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I know it's kind of beating a dead horse at this point, but Gil so far hasn't stepped up. Compared to the first 8 games last season he is down half a point per game, up .3 rebounds a game, up .2 assists, down .2 turnovers, and down .4 blocks. If I remember correctly, last season Gil started off the year hobbled with an ankle sprain, so if that's the case it's disappointing that his numbers aren't better while he's supposed to be healthier.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Just some quick thoughts from the PC perspective:

-Thought it was a good game. Outside of a few minute stretch in the 2nd half it was very competitive and physical.
-Thought the refs sucked on both sides. The URI press was largely effective because the refs swallowed their whistles, and probably what was the least contact of any of their steals got whistled. They were inconsistent throughout in terms of contact allowed, would go from a bloodbath underneath for a few possessions, to tick-tack contact.
-Free throws were huge. I believe at halftime URI was 7-12, PC was 9-10. At one point in the 2nd half, PC was 12-14, URI was something like 11-18/19. You add so much extra pressure to your team by missing them, and extra pressure to the other team by making them. A 3-5 point game down the stretch might look different with a few extra makes. Can run offense and not force 3's. Plays against URI's best offensive sets, IMHO.
-EC Matthews clearly NBA ready on the offensive end. Think he needs work on defense to become a can't miss prospect, but the athleticism/talent is there. If you combined Matthews offense with Dunn's defense, there would be a no-doubt Top 10 loterry pick.
-Was surprised to see URI go small for stretches of the 2nd half. Thought their offense was at it's best with 2 bigs down low against the zone. They seemed to get away from attacking from the foul line to dribble penetration.
-It's interesting watching PC/URI because to me, both teams have a lot of similarities. Both trying to integrate freshmen. Both play good defense. Both can protect the rim. Neither can shoot well. Both have NBA-caliber guards. Both teams at best around the basket. That is why last night I said no outcome would surprise me in this game. Either team can get hot and light you up. Both teams prone to stinkers because of consistency issues. Interesting comparisons.
-Was not impressed with the crowd. Quiet. URI contingent wasn't noticably loud, and PC crowd relatively quiet. Students just stand there (been an issue although attendance has improved). Band is good and tries to get into it. Late arriving because of traffic. Also had a URI fan behind us yelling to sit down at tip. Told him in a not so polite way that we stand until first basket. Felt kinda bad after, seemed like a nice guy, but aggravation of ignorant fans both PC/URI had me annoyed. Arena staff is a joke. One guy threatened to throw out my 78 year old grandfather because he made a remark about having some older folks move around to the other entrance to the section. There were 7 of us on our side, and 1 on the other. He wanted all of us to move DURING play to let them in, about 7 minutes into the game. After the 4th of 5th time of standing in the aisle, trying to identify seats (rarely have same attendant so they have no idea or comfort with where seats are),disrupting play, enough was enough. That's why at busy games for most high-capacity arenas, they prevent this practice and reserve it for timeouts/stoppages in play to avoid disrupting whole sections during play.
-Promise there for both teams. Development/consistency will be key to success.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx for your perspective, Superfly.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund