Game #4: URI vs. #11/12 Kansas - GameDay!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game #4: URI vs. #11/12 Kansas - GameDay!!

Unread post by eli#10 »

Too much dribbling by EC. He needs to penetrate and kick it out once in a while to someone who should be open for a 3. Just like the 2 late passes to JR for wide open shots. Trying to come back with our half court offense is almost impossible with Biggie and TJ at the point. It is like playing 4 on 5 as they will not take a jump shot. Obviously the opponent plays off them and clogs up any open lane for the others. They need to at least penetrate the lane and try to find an open man. We cannot not play 4 on 5 against a decent team and expect to do well. This should be a game that Jarvis learns from. On the 2 fast breaks after KU turnovers he tried to dribble through traffic at mid court instead of trying to find some open space for himself or passing to the wing which had some open space in both instances.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Glad to see URI improve in the second half. But the outcome was settled early in this one. We're not good enough yet to beat this team ... yet. A good chalenge for URI. May help later on.
Stop crying about refs. We were outshot and outplayed. Big strong teams shove around smaller teams. If URI had NBA size, I'd want them to play this way.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

EC was the volume shooter many here predicted going into this game. 20 points on 18 shots isn't going to get it done. He's trying to do too much.

Both Terrell and Garrett are struggling. It's to be expected. They aren't playing the Little Sisters of the Poor out there.

Try as they might, TJ and Minnis aren't good at running a half court offense.

Hassan needs a little more help.

I expect enough improvement from all of them to win tomorrow. That, and Gil repeat today's performance.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Have to look at this game as a learning experience. While they were never truly in it, they at least still played hard and made the final score seem respectable. Need to play much better in the next two games against more comparable foes (we may actually be better than our next opponents). Would still be a very successful tourney if they could get 2 wins.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We win the next two, the ship is righted, come home 5-1 and we will be feeling OK....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

I would just like to see more fluidity and flow to the offense for us. We should beat Santa Clara no problem, the 3rd game intrigues me though. Just a lot of dribbling and not much quick ball movement in the half court. Watching Michigan State today (I know, it was against Rider) was an absolute treat. Ball movement inside the paint and out. Rotating the ball from one half to the other. Pretty sure Dan said he had the guys to play "his style" which I believe he wanted faster than the past. I think we can do way more in transition honestly. Definitely have the athletes to do it, and clearly our half-court offense hasn't gotten off the ground. I think the defense we played against Nebraska masked that problem for a night, but make no mistake that wasn't a very good offensive performance. Still think we get 2 W's and in good shape going on the road for 2.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BPR2010 wrote:I would just like to see more fluidity and flow to the offense for us. We should beat Santa Clara no problem, the 3rd game intrigues me though. Just a lot of dribbling and not much quick ball movement in the half court. Watching Michigan State today (I know, it was against Rider) was an absolute treat. Ball movement inside the paint and out. Rotating the ball from one half to the other. Pretty sure Dan said he had the guys to play "his style" which I believe he wanted faster than the past. I think we can do way more in transition honestly. Definitely have the athletes to do it, and clearly our half-court offense hasn't gotten off the ground. I think the defense we played against Nebraska masked that problem for a night, but make no mistake that wasn't a very good offensive performance. Still think we get 2 W's and in good shape going on the road for 2.
You are 100% correct all around BPR. I'm still waiting to see this style of offense that was talked about.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

I think Garrett getting more comfortable in the offense will help things. I just think with "MGMT", you can out-run and out-athlete lots of teams as long as you push the ball off defensive stops. Things just seem to get so stagnant for us when the game slows down in the half-court. I'd love to see the "Runnin'" back with the Rams name. Thank God our defense has been stellar so far, outside of today. It's kept us afloat and I have confidence it'll continue.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Definitely a lot of work to be done on the offensive end. We came out tight in the first half and they shot lights out. 2nd half our offensive looked much better as we shared the ball down low. We have to remember how young of a team we have. I am confident we will come out strong tomorrow.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Still find there are plenty of times on offense when players are simply standing around with little movement when E.C. gets the ball. I'd like to see a little more movement and ball distribution on offense that doesn't involve just picking the opponent and simply working the ball around the perimeter. It would be nice if they could drive inside and kick out the ball to someone on the perimeter. I think as Garett evolves so will that kind of play, but as far as this game went...there were a lot of times where they just couldn't hold the ball or make a lay up while going inside.
Now that I really think about it...there were a lot of missed lay ups.

A couple things I'm watching for this year:
I do admit I still have yet to see what the "style" and identity of this team is going to be. Can't wait to see how things develop.
Still wondering how Dan is going to be when it comes to situational coaching and drawing up a successful play for someone to score when the team really needs it.

All in all it's just game 4 and I think this team could be really good towards the end of the season. I'm excited to see how everything comes together.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Somebody said EC played well????
Sorry, but I don't like this selfish version of EC Matthews.
6-18, 4 turnovers only 2 assists. Not good.
This version is not even as good as Xavier Munford.
How many times was Terrell loose in the corners today?
Matthews' frustration today wasn't a good thing, either.
Gil saved us from getting an Arizona type thrashing.
Hassan was invisible and looked lost like he did last year against Arizona.
Not happy with what I saw.
Minnis a total non factor. If TJ has to play PG instead of Garrett, we're in trouble.
I like TJ, but on offense it's like playing 4 on 5. He contributes nothing as
a threat and allows the opposition to sag off him.
We had the lead to 13 and had three straight turnovers.
Agree 100% with Ramfan 85. It looked like Baronball on offense.
Insult? No, fact.
Passing around the perimeter to take a lousy shot.
Sloppy play, poor offense and poor defense. The perfect shit storm.
As for beating Santa Clara easily, I don't see us beating too many teams
easily as things stand.
Game tomorrow, 2:30 on ESPNU
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Sorry, but I don't like this selfish version of EC Matthews.
This version is not even as good as Xavier Munford.
How many times was Terrell loose in the corners today?
Matthews' frustration today wasn't a good thing, either.
Gil saved us from getting an Arizona type thrashing.
Hassan was invisible and looked lost like he did last year against Arizona.
Not happy with what I saw.
Minnis a total non factor.
We had the lead to 13 and had three straight turnovers.
Looked like Baronball on offense. Passing around to take a lousy shot.
Sloppy play, poor offense and poor defense. The perfect shit storm.
As for beating Santa Clara easily, I don't see us beating too many teams
easily as things stand.
Definitely agree with you about EC. It's not even the volume that worries me all that much, it's the shot selection. Some of his layups had almost no chance to hit the rim, never mind go in the hoop. If Gil can play like he did today that should help open up some better looks for EC but it's obvious that he is really forcing things out there.

I can't get too upset about Hassan's play today because he was in foul trouble basically from the opening tipoff. The 3rd and 4th fouls on him were absolutley brutal as well. He had no chance to get into the flow of the game and that killed them in the first half.

Garrett is going to be a great PG, but those two consecutive turnovers when we were down 13 did them in for good. They were starting to gain monentum, had they got that lead to single digits who knows what could have happened. It's to be expected from freshman though. I love the fire Terrell plays with, he will be ok too.

Gotta give them credit though, they won the 2nd half at least. I was happy to see them battle the entire game.

"We're on to Santa Clara" as Bill Belicheck would say. They're in great shape if they leave Orlando 5-1, and despite today's rough outing, I still think they will achieve that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Notes on game:
- URI vs Kansas was easily the best and biggest crowd of the 4 games.
- Tough for URI when Martin picked up two early fouls.
- Kansas is big, and they work the ball inside well causing Martin and Biruta to pick up fouls
- Good effort by Iffy considering how little he has played this year, no minutes against Nebraska
- Good defense by Terrell but rough day on offense with 32 minutes, 1 rebound, no assists, no steals, 2-11 FG..........Freshman game but good for his experience
- Solid game from Biruta. Saw Hurley talking to him just before he was the 5th player introduced - pumping him up as Dan knows how to do. Bitura was solid with 7-11 FG, 16 points, 7 rebounds - best effort from a URI player today
- Reischel hit two nice 3 pointers in the 2nd half to help us get closer
- Minnis - tough game. No assists and 3 turnovers
- Garrett - tough game. 1 assist and 3 turnovers. When URI was on a run in the 2nd half cutting the lead from 19 to 11 Garrett had the ball crossing half court and I was thinking here we go, let's cut it to single digits.......... and then he dribbled off his foot out of bounds without even much defensive pressure. Next time down he drove through traffic and turned it over again. Dan pulled him out. I heard one fan yelling "pass the rock, give up the ball, too much dribbling"....................late in the game Dan put him back in for TJ. He is just a Freshman, and games like this should help him improve, but this was a tough game for him.
- TJ - might have earned the PG position in the end half. 3 assists and no turnovers. Very nice assist to Biruta for a nice dunk, then came back with a nice assist to Martin for a layin - both bringing URI as close as they would get in the 2nd half. TJ looked good running the team so it will be interesting to see what happens the next Friday and Sunday
- Watson - descent effort with 5 rebounds
- EC - tough game but he is clearly our best player. He got fouled in the 2nd half, got pissed and threw his headband that landed on the table where the writers and official scorers are near the Kansas bench side. He was frustrated and a foul should have been called. Don't think the officiating favored either team but that was a call that should have been made. Games like this will only make EC better.

Next Up:

Santa Clara. Small team, plays 3-4 guards. They pass the ball well, very unselfish. We must defend the 3 point shot very well or they will burn us. Should be a win, but not automatic by any means.

If we beat Santa Clara we should match up against Georgia Tech on Sunday night as Rider should get destroyed by Georgia Tech. Rider only had 11 points at the half against Michigan State.

Good tournament for URI to be entered in. We will learn a lot about our players and it's great experience especially for our new guys.

No shame AT ALL in losing to Kansas. They are big, physical, great athletes and loaded with HS All Americans. Very nice effort in the 2nd hald as we played Kansas even.
Last edited by ramster 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

If we beat Santa Clara we get the winner of the of game with 2 losers, which should be Georgia tech
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

twisted3829 wrote:If we beat Santa Clara we get the winner of the of game with 2 losers, which should be Georgia tech
Exactly right, I meant to say that but made a typo which I corrected. I hope we beat Santa Clara so we get an ACC school in the 3rd game.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Stagnation. Its also my take, its the word that won't leave my head. I can't watch that kind of performance again. Right Rod its not an insult, but that was like watching Baron ball. I liked when one of the commentators spoke truth "you just can't do that against Kansas." It was like watching Meija or Powell stubbornly get swallowed up by large defenders over and over.

What is with this score in the first 10 or last 10 philosophy? How about some cohesive offense where we score when the shots are open because everybody moves to free each other up?

obviously its way too early and Kansas is way too good an opponent to get down about this, but I can't stomach that kind of stagnant performance from Rhody again.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Maybe the biggest thing I can take out of this game, other than the fact that our guys continue to not know what the hell they're doing on offense.
Is how nice it was to see Biruta playing aggressive. Like a good angry aggressive. He was our strongest player and that's what many expected out of him when he got here. If he can continue playing with that confident aggression we are going to be just fine. Especially if Hassan isn't all fouled up. Just having a versatile threat on the inside will be awesome. We barely ever throw it down there, so if we can have Gil playing like a fearless Lithuanian mad dog on offense more often than not, our guys on the perimeter will be much more comfy. Loved it when he went up to dunk on those guys. He hardly uses his athleticism like he can either.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan's teams at Wagner moved well without the ball. Motion offense.

We're not seeing it yet with this team, but we can't say Dan doesn't know how to run that style here.

EC has to help make his teammates better, especially Terrell and Jarvis.

At this point, stand around offense isn't going to work. It probably never will.

I'm looking forward to seeing some faster paced O today. Move the ball. Watch the tape from the first half of what Kansas did.

The more experience the freshmen get, the better the offense will flow. At least that's what should happen anyway.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Obviously I was a bit off...positive affirmation worked against Nebraska though.

EC can't be X out there taking 20 shots to get 20 points. Needs to be efficient.

I chalk this up to a learning experience...and really with the exception of a woeful stretch in the middle of the first half...we played with kansas. We made good adjustments after halftime.

While the offense looked stagnant. ..it doesn't really matter if everyone is moving and setting up great shots...you have to hit them. We know we're not an outside shooting team...but holy cap how many 3s do you have to miss before you change it up.

This was a good learning experience for the team and they'll grow from this. Let's take it to Santa Clara
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

A trend I do not wanna see develop; not defending the three better, and not shooting the three for a higher %..... If that trend develops?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Geography is not my thing, but Kansas and Nebraska are on different planets.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I wasn't particularly please with the way EC forced the shots but keep in mind he has the weight of the program on his shoulders & he just turned 19. WE're going to live & die by his play. This just might be a good lesson for him. Dan will be able to break down the film with him & use it as a tool for the future. Everyone has him in the NBA next yr. Lot of pressure on him. It's only been 4 games. I think the coaches will be able to settle him down. He has a lot of talent around him but it's also young so he needs them to step up so he can trust them & not force things. This is all going to help as we approach the conference schedule.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I know EC wants to be a PG, but I think he's better off the ball trying to get an open shot...I swear there was one possession where EC dribbled with the ball for 31 seconds then hoisted up a desperation 3...that missed. He did not pass the ball once on that possession.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Anyone who thinks this NBA talk won't affect EC is naive. How could it not?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At this point it's clear that EC is not a PG.

He needs to move off the ball and he'll get better shots.

The team needs Jarvis to take over at the point and play major minutes...but of course he's not quite ready for that.

Less Minnis and TJ at the 1 please, and soon. The ball moves when JG is out there. Anybody else, not so much.

Terrell is aggressive, but he's rushing things way too much, that will change.

Shooting has to improve. These guys are better than this.

If we could shoot 45% overall and at least 30% from 3, we will win most of our games.

This should be doable.
Last edited by rambone 78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Yep, even DiSano stated the ball stalled too many times with EC...if he wants to be a point guard then he'll notice that he is attracting multiple defenders...which means someone else is open...pass the ball...you may even get it back!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I may have missed this, but did anyone else notice? Congrats, Gilvydas!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RIFan, I am surprised that EC doesn't see this.

Does he have the "court vision" than JG has, or is it because he feels he has to do it all right now?

That is the question.

We've had way too many guys who have played the point over the last 15 years, who had the same problem. Talented or not.

EC with his handle, which has improved by the way, has not yet demonstrated pure PG abilities.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

On the road, just watched the game and felt that the whole squad had devoured a turkey dinner an hour before the game -- slow, slower, slowest….The motion offense looked like Slow-Motion Offense….The team seemed more in synch when it pushed the ball a bit…Refs were inconsistent, obviously. Martin out early killed whatever opportunity for capitalizing on talent.
Defense is about effort and the perimeter defense was putrid.
Kansas is good, but yesterday URI made Kansas look like it was Arizona of last year.
EC has to let the game come to him like he did the second half of last year. The burden of carrying a team isn't one unless you make it one. There's plenty of talent on this squad to make HIM look good, too….It's not even a matter of Matthews being point guard or not. Give-Go-Get, ETC., until the best shot is available -- FOR ANYONE.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I think the NBA talk for EC is not helping him nor the team, it appears to only help the opponents game plan against him and allow the other aspects of the Rhody offense to deliver the mail.....or not.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When JT and JG start producing points, as in making shots, things should get easier for EC, and take some of the load off. Half court team basketball could return.

Might take a while though.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Congrats to Gil!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Watching the game I thought EC had many chances to go left and dribbled the ball back to the middle passing up a likely layup. The offense missed many opportunities to pick his defender to facilitate a drive as well.

Of course it is a lot easier to see the open lanes from the seats or on TV as we all know but a couple of times it was pretty obvious.....and will be clear to him and the coaching staff on the game tape. Agree with other posters the tape of this game will be solid gold to the staff on fixing issues. I expect quick improvement in all areas of concern.

Biruta big game against a solid club was huge IMHO.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I remember the possession RIFan mentioned.
EC had the ball for the entire shot clock, never once looking to pass.
The difference between EC and Munford is, Munford had to get his shots
when the ball came his way.
EC can just get the ball in the backcourt and hog it.
I picked Gil to be the team's high scorer this year, because I felt that all
the NBA talk would have a negative affect on EC's game.
So far, it has. If the offense is going to be held hostage to his trying too much
to live up to the hype, our record will be under .500 this year.
Hurley needs to set him straight or Dan will be on the hot seat
if this season leads to mediocrity.
I like Dan and EC a lot, but what I've seen from EC, except for the last half of the
Nebraska game, scares me. There's almost a desperation to his game, like
he has to show the world that he is what some said he was.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

rodfromcranston wrote:I remember the possession RIFan mentioned.
So far, it has. If the offense is going to be held hostage to his trying too much
I like Dan and EC a lot, but what I've seen from EC, except for the last half of the
Chill Out. They're only 4 games in, are 3-1, and beat a top 25 team. Who WOULDN'T have signed up for that? EC's adjustment is to be expected. But remember, he started slow last year also, but got better are the season progressed. Dan on the hot seat? Please...
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

From watching the game from the sidelines I question why they don't force the ball down low to Biruta more. EC doesn't need all the one on one's... At least twice Terrell was wide open and EC didn't look his way. Why no more minutes for Butler? We have so many slashers, but nobody to consistently knock down the three with Butler out. Is his d that bad? Loved the teams fight, but as can be expected with a young team we shot ourselves in the foot too many times against a good team. Let's see how we respond...
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I think we are going to learn alot about our coach and our superstar player in today's game vs Santa Clara. Watching SC vs Tenn they are vulnerable to physical play in the paint. I'd be very, very, very surprised if we dont see every effort being made to get the ball to Gil and Hass near the basket. If we continue to run our stagnant offense with low percentage shots, we are playing into the opponents strength. We are suppose to be a deep and athletic team who is finally ready to play to the "style" that Dan wants. Cant wait to see if this team comes our with some aggression and purpose and takes the game right at SC, or do we just remain passive and wait until we are down 10 points until we show some toughness.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

EC needs to play the 2, not a hybrid 1. When he plays the 1, he looks for #1, himself. Garrett needs to run the point, period. This 3 man weave is ineffective.

When someone drives the lane, the bigs needs to head toward unoccupied space near the rim. Like Kansas did.

Bigs need to push people around on the block and foul harder. Too many and 1s yesterday.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:I may have missed this, but did anyone else notice? Congrats, Gilvydas!

I did, ATP. I noticed.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

EC had a handful of moments that clearly displayed why he has the NBA talk as a sophomore. The blocked shot, any of his 3's he made, any of his floaters that dropped in and his foul shooting isn't a problem.

Now did he do a lot of bad??? Sure, but he was bad in the 1st half when they all basically stared at each other on offense. Dribbling a ton sucks, but I think guys get confused with the idea of what a point guard is. Ppl seem to think it means they handle the ball the whole time and they create the whole play every time. It's more of owning the momentum of the game through distribution, timely scoring, and keeping ppl engaged.

EC verse Xavier???? X would have choked at the free throw line against Nebraska. I like X but he missed foul shots down the stretch every night.

Kansas taught our team something and I bet the coaching staff. The staff needed to come out with an emphasis on match ups between players. Gil could have owned guys from the jump and got them in foul trouble. Iffy was the only guy that could bang with Alexander.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I remember the possession RIFan mentioned.
I have to admit that this was my thinking the last couple of games. I really think that Dan is coddling EC and seems somewhat timid in responding to his play. I believe any other player would have been yanked a couple of times, and definitely see a lot of similarities to the way X played at times last year. Many on this board were criticizing his play but are defending EC. Don't get me wrong, I love EC, but he's over responding to the pressure of being "the man" so far. I know it's early, but it's what I see so far. It's not panic, just a statement.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I wouldn't be so hard on EC Rod as far as selfish play .It looked to me like the rest of the team was just giving him the ball at every opportunity and expecting him to do something. Other than Biruta and maybe Hassan, the others looked intimidated and more than glad to let EC do his thing and I think he sensed that and tried to carry the other players. I don't think that will be the case as Garrett and Terrell gain confidence and feel more comfortable in the offense. If you remember last year EC looked a lot like Terrell does now in the first 5-7 games, and Munford was forced to try to carry the team, especially against Arizona. It will get better quickly, I'm sure you know, as you have anticipated early growing pains before the season started.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Anyone who doesn't think Dan needs to come up with a winner this
year or be under the microscope is delusional.
He's had one winning season in his collegiate career.
As big a supporter of Dan's as I've been, there is the reality of
living up to the hype.
He's proved he can recruit, and he's upgraded the infrastructure of the program,
immensely. He also needs to win with the players he's brought in.
I'm betting he will, but it still is yet to be accomplished.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

I agree with luke- EC seemed like he had no choice yesterday then to try to put the team on his back he was the only one getting into the lanes. I liked when the finally put Gil on the block which was when their best half court happened was through him. Terrell seems to be making good decisions for the most part but the shots weren't falling for him. Rebounding was still solid and despite all the threes in this game from Kansas this team played with a lot of poise and had its chances to make a run in that game. Kansas' half-court sets were obviously superior to ours and their floor spacing was fantastic. Pair that with some really bad interior defense and we have a team that has some things to learn before beating a powerhouse but I really feel like URI fans should be inspired by some of what we saw in yesterdays game-- we didn't get trounced and we didn't stop fighting.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

rodfromcranston wrote:Anyone who doesn't think Dan needs to come up with a winner this
year or be under the microscope is delusional.
He's had one winning season in his collegiate career.
As big a supporter of Dan's as I've been, there is the reality of
living up to the hype.
He's proved he can recruit, and he's upgraded the infrastructure of the program,
immensely. He also needs to win with the players he's brought in.
I'm betting he will, but it still is yet to be accomplished.
OH NO! WE LOST TO KANSAS! FIRE HURLEY!!!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Did anyone read the writeup about this game? Dan put the plan in place to force Kansas to shoot from the perimeter. That's what happened and they lit it up like they had not done all year. He switched it up in the second half and we were competitive. Baron? Shit we would have seem the same offense the second half an lost by over 40. Hot seat? Must be kidding. I've waited 16 years to beat a top 25 team. We play freshman and sophmores. And not 5 stars.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I mean the idea that if we win 10 games this year he would be on the hot seat is probably fair. There just is no chance of that happening. The overreaction to the game yesterday is hilarious and shows how silly our fan base can be. You should have hoped for better, but to have expected better is the definition of delusional. We are a building program of young guys with barely a fistful of experience in games like that among them. Kansas is an elite program with a roster full of future NBA players. We're in fine shape.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I don't see any overreaction to yesterdays game. I did not pick this for a win, but to deny that EC was pressing in the first 5 games is not being honest. Like I said, it's not panic, but a general discussion of what has been going on early in the season. Many of you have a lot more basketball savvy than I have, but after following this team for 50 years, I think I can have an opinion.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, now who do we play next, what time, and is it onTV?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

We look great if we win Sunday. EC forced a 20 point game against Kansas 4 games into his sophomore year.....His percentages are hurt by his role when he has to shoot at the end of the clock. Everything is on schedule.

I mean what are we playing for this season???
I would say we are playing for that NCAA tourney money. Get in, get the credits, win one???!!! That's a good bump for our program and its purse.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry