Jordan Hare's Roster Status: Back Out Again

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Jordan Hare's Roster Status: Back Out Again

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm not even pissed. I sometimes get ranked on for my opinions, but I told you all long ago get ready for a Hareless and Aamanless team after Aaman's "altercation" sure I was happy when Hare "came back" but I was still only cautiously optimistic and explained why, I got ranked on, I wish I was reading the Hareites 'I told you so's' instead of writing my own, but 'I told you so' and I'm sorry, the writing was on the wall with both of these kids, who I still think of as good kids, just kids with issues to be worked out, like most of us adults. And even though I think of Hare as a good kid, if he really was bent because he wasn't working with the first team and it affected his "changed/all in" attitude, then yeah good riddance.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I hope Dan can pull strings more than ever on any and all connections to land us some height over the next year.

Like some other guys have said, grad transfer, juco, high school, foreign, does it need to be human? just some serviceable height.

Keaney Blue? does he have eligibility, a healthy Martell would be something for this team.
Ha! I sit at a desk all day now, what little basketball ability I had before is gone now!

The worst part for me is seeing a young man already with a child throw away an incredible opportunity. Jordan was at an A10 level school getting paid to get a college degree and play basketball. What most players realize after leaving their first school is the grass isn't always greener in different pastures. JuCo isn't a breeze either. Good luck to him, but I think we'll look back on him and say "what a waste of talent"
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What I remember is everyone sneering at Rokas Gustys,
after we stopped recruiting him, because The Savior decided
to grace URI with his presence.
6'9" 260lb. fundamentally sound banger.
He had 10-5 in a win vs. Jacsonville.
He certainly would have been a better alternative to an empty seat
that was vacated by Jordan Hare.

Hare could have made money playing in Europe, had he played here.
Just something wrong there.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Keaney.Blue wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:I hope Dan can pull strings more than ever on any and all connections to land us some height over the next year.

Like some other guys have said, grad transfer, juco, high school, foreign, does it need to be human? just some serviceable height.

Keaney Blue? does he have eligibility, a healthy Martell would be something for this team.
Ha! I sit at a desk all day now, what little basketball ability I had before is gone now!

The worst part for me is seeing a young man already with a child throw away an incredible opportunity. Jordan was at an A10 level school getting paid to get a college degree and play basketball. What most players realize after leaving their first school is the grass isn't always greener in different pastures. JuCo isn't a breeze either. Good luck to him, but I think we'll look back on him and say "what a waste of talent"

Completely agree... I can't even feel upset about the impact on the team for the season because what is so overwhelmingly upsetting to me is the wasted opportunity.

If you have children in their teens and younger this would be a good lesson to teach them about what not to do/poor decisions/wasted opportunity

I truly hope he is able to rebound from this
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Running Ram wrote:I'm not even pissed. I sometimes get ranked on for my opinions, but I told you all long ago get ready for a Hareless and Aamanless team after Aaman's "altercation" sure I was happy when Hare "came back" but I was still only cautiously optimistic and explained why, I got ranked on, I wish I was reading the Hareites 'I told you so's' instead of writing my own, but 'I told you so' and I'm sorry, the writing was on the wall with both of these kids, who I still think of as good kids, just kids with issues to be worked out, like most of us adults. And even though I think of Hare as a good kid, if he really was bent because he wasn't working with the first team and it affected his "changed/all in" attitude, then yeah good riddance.

Can we maybe not compare Hare and Aaman to each other? Fair to say both have made mistakes (but who hasn't?), but the situations are very different. Mike would give anything for the chance to play right now, but he's stuck in NCAA limbo (not necessarily the worst thing if he doesn't play, given his health, but it's still rough).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree, Ace.
For all of Aaman's missteps off the court, he loved the game,
his teammates and always gave 100%.
He must look at Hare and wish he had the chance that Hare walked
out on.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78 wrote:If this all happened just hours before yesterday's game, how does anyone know that he's staying in school?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on DiSano said on the broadcast "...but he will remain enrolled in the university for now."
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Yes, he will remain enrolled at URI... for now
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hassenphefer
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ah, the old APR monster.
OK, well that's better than other explainations I've heard
bandied around here.
So, now, Hare bailing for a second time. How does that hurt our APR?
So many decisions based on the APR situation, that have impacted the
recruiting process.
Thanks Jim Baron.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Where'd Ace's post disappear to?
Ace? Ace? Helloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Sorry Rod, you're not losing you mind, I moved it to Gustys recruiting thread, since i realized that Gustys/Hare wasn't talked about as much here as there. But here it is:

One thing that I think is missing in the Gustys/Hare talk is the roster numbers and the timeline for when all this went down. Rumors of Terrell wanting out of his Oklahoma State commitment surfaced in early/mid April. At that time, with Powell (for whatever necessary reasons exist) and Hare still counting as roster spots, they had only one open spot.

Watson was already on the roster, and let's say Garrett replaces Munford. Aaman's spot was open since around March- that was the one known opening, which ended up going to Terrell. Gustys committed in early May, Terrell on May 16th. At least, I think I explained that correctly. Now, you can argue for cutting ties with Hare earlier in the Spring, but I still don't think it was just that easy. Regardless if Hare was coming back or not, he still counted for APR and related purposes until the end of the Spring semester.

So, despite my affinity for Lithuanian big men (sample size of 1), I'm ok with no Gustys, given all that. Thinking Hare was back certainly may have influenced '15 recruiting but more on the side of the recruits than in who the staff went after and how. I don't know, though, when you look at the schools that Reutter, Enoch, Silva, and Aflakpui. for example, picked, if it mattered. But recruiting never stops- now what can be told and shown to recruits is a different situation.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hmm....the other day, my younger granddaughter turned to her
big sister and said, "Papa is losing his mind, you know."
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This is my final comment re Hare.

I will read this thread no more and prefer it be locked so we can all move on.

This is a big blow in the short term for our program......

Now it is run and gun all the time, no choice.

I was thinking how remarkably similar our team is to the Boston Celtics right now......talented guards, one good forward and a bunch of little big men. The difference is you can win NCAA D1 games with that formula. Should be a entertaining ride.

Go Rams.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I know I'll probably get flamed for this...but for those that are calling Hare a "baron recruit" while certainly partially true, it should also be mentioned that Preston was given all the credit for bringing him here at the time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think the future of this team, this season, now rests on
Gil Biruta.
If he becomes the player we thought we were getting, doesn't foul
constantly, and can play reasonable defense and rebound, we'll be fine.
He's the best passing bigman I've seen at URI, and he has skills in the post.
I wish he'd junk the outside shot.
A big if, but a possibility.

Adam, Preston was certainly Hurley's link to Hare, as he was to EC Matthews.
I doubt Preston thought Hare was a problem child, though.
The final decision on all recruits, no matter how hard an assistant works,
is up the the head coach.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Totally agree Rod, always ends with the head coach, just thought it deserved to be mentioned after I saw a few posts mentioning Baron/Hare.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:This is my final comment re Hare.

I was thinking how remarkably similar our team is to the Boston Celtics right now......talented guards, one good forward and a bunch of little big men. The difference is you can win NCAA D1 games with that formula. Should be a entertaining ride.

Go Rams.
Actually, since he hadn't played since '12, it's not really a loss. Kinda like a recruit decommitting almost. You thought you had him, then you didn't.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I think this will end up being a blessing in disguise. It forces Hurley to lean on his young backcourt.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:This is my final comment re Hare.

Go Rams.
Actually, since he hadn't played since '12, it's not really a loss. Kinda like a recruit decommitting almost. You thought you had him, then you didn't.
But not hours before the first game of the season.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Hare was doomed from the start. He obviously is not interested in basketball enough to be a top level player. Remember his senior year when he chose not to play AAU ball and slacked off instead. His rank went down, he fell out of the top 100 and Baron nabbed him. He obviously has no passion for the game.. Wasted talent for sure, but he was a rim protecting reserve for us. He is maybe 200lbs, so the thought that we are losing a major inside presents is not the case, except for shot blocking. Our 1998 elite 8 team had 1 player over 6'8, Luther Clay.. That was a pretty good team... I'm glad he's gone, let enjoy this season, beacause it's gonna be fun!!!

Go Rhody!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Mongo wrote:Hare was doomed from the start. He obviously is not interested in basketball enough to be a top level player. Remember his senior year when he chose not to play AAU ball and slacked off instead. His rank went down, he fell out of the top 100 and Baron nabbed him. He obviously has no passion for the game.. Wasted talent for sure, but he was a rim protecting reserve for us. He is maybe 200lbs, so the thought that we are losing a major inside presents is not the case, except for shot blocking. Our 1998 elite 8 team had 1 player over 6'8, Luther Clay.. That was a pretty good team... I'm glad he's gone, let enjoy this season, beacause it's gonna be fun!!!

Go Rhody!
+1. Absolutely agree. Let's move on, drown some river rats tomorrow and focus on beating the husk off the corn next week.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The only thing that worries me is that Gil will have to play out of position again, Iffy will have to play some, and if the bigs get in foul trouble like last year, Jarelle will have to play 4 again. That was a disaster.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Watson showed some potential. Not sure why he had so few minutes. If he could slide to the 5 that could help us greatly. But we are basically playing 1,2,2,4,4 right now. It's when we need a big against opponents that we will be at a disadvantage. Let's hope the Earl of Swatson can step up.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Watson showed some potential. Not sure why he had so few minutes. If he could slide to the 5 that could help us greatly. But we are basically playing 1,2,2,4,4 right now. It's when we need a big against opponents that we will be at a disadvantage. Let's hope the Earl of Swatson can step up.
PC is huge now. And that's always the game I want to win the most.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PC is not huge. Their starting lineup is 6-3, 5-11, 7-0, 6-6 and 6-9. The only containment we need is on Desrosiers.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

They are big coming off the bench too.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Off the bench is Bentil (freshman) 6-8, Lindsey (freshman) 6-7 and Lamomba (rusty) 6-5. All these guys align with Iffy, Watson, Gil, Martin and JR.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Off the bench is Bentil (freshman) 6-8, Lindsey (freshman) 6-7 and Lamomba (rusty) 6-5. All these guys align with Iffy, Watson, Gil, Martin and JR.
How about Chukwu at 7'2"?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Off the bench is Bentil (freshman) 6-8, Lindsey (freshman) 6-7 and Lamomba (rusty) 6-5. All these guys align with Iffy, Watson, Gil, Martin and JR.
Heh, I guess we tackle him and hope he shoots FT's like we do.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

What we lack in height we make up for in meaty girth. I trust that Earl And Ifeanyi can hold strong against anbody defensevly, as far as not getting over powered.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Can we start a new game thread? We do have a game in less than 24 hours.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

FROM BILL KOCH:

Jordan Hare's imminent departure will give #URI two open scholarships for 2015-16 class. Timing couldn't have been worse for the #Rams.
0 replies 1 retweet 0 favorites
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I got hooted down for saying this a few weeks ago.
Hassan Martin WILL see time at the 5, just as he did last year,
hopefully less time.
Some of the best runs of the season, like the Bonnie's game,
were with Hassan in the middle.
In that one, he was guarding a 7' guy of some talent.
Of course, Martin in the middle was almost always due to Gil's inability to
stay out of foul trouble, and Oneykaba being incapable of holding the fort.
Maybe Watson can take up what was Oneykaba's role last year as backup cente,
and Martin can stay put?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I asked Disano on twitter last night if he was surprised at all by Iffy being ahead of Watson in the rotation. Thought he had a pretty solid answer.

Disano: Yes and No. Watson more talented but significant speed adjustment & curve. Iffy with a year under belt. Let's talk in a month.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:I asked Disano on twitter last night if he was surprised at all by Iffy being ahead of Watson in the rotation. Thought he had a pretty solid answer.

Disano: Yes and No. Watson more talented but significant speed adjustment & curve. Iffy with a year under belt. Let's talk in a month.
So, the hope is that by conference play (or earlier), Watson can contribute significant minutes
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

I have yet to see where Hurly has said Hear is off the team or that he quit on the team. I'm sure their are reasons for Hare to not be with the team at this time and it is all his fault. I just wonder if we are all reading into this as more than it really is. Will he be back? Only one person knows and he will make the right choice for his team.
I will be waiting to be ripped a new one by Rod and company. I'm sure no one has ever been let down by someone to only forgive them later.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well they said he "left the program" so I'm not sure that leaves a whole lot of mystery.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:I asked Disano on twitter last night if he was surprised at all by Iffy being ahead of Watson in the rotation. Thought he had a pretty solid answer.

So, the hope is that by conference play (or earlier), Watson can contribute significant minutes
Probably also worth noting, and I didnt notice this until after the game, Watson actually played 12 minutes to Iffy's 9. I was surprised by that because watching it felt to me like Iffy played more. May have just been my perception because I was looking to watch the new guys so much.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Probably also worth noting, and I didnt notice this until after the game, Watson actually played 12 minutes to Iffy's 9. I was surprised by that because watching it felt to me like Iffy played more. May have just been my perception because I was looking to watch the new guys so much.
Iffy picked up two fouls pretty quickly in the first half, so he probably didn't play as much as Hurley planned. Still I fully expect Watson to be the first big off the bench.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Not being able to keep Hare in the fold here is weak. Hurley or Thorr time to pull another rabbit out of your hat boys.

Nice team though either way.

GO RHODY!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
If you want to know how we are gonna kick the shit outta pc, watch the game against Albany going on right now. Small guards against "big men".
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Good God, Why do we care about tiny pc. They haven't won an NCCA tournament game since before URI. Now that's PATHEDIC. Can we please start to worry about/measure ourselves against a team that's won an NCAA tournament game in the 2000's PLEASE!

GO RHODY!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

God, someone is holding out the idea or hope that Hare will be back?
Seriously?
I think, "He's left the program" followed by, "Let's talk about the players who were here tonight,
and root for each other."
I'm sure Hurley is dying to bend over to get kicked in the ass again.
Someone else thinks it's weak that they "couldn't keep Hare in the fold"??????
Exactly what were they supposed to do to keep someone who didn't
want to do what Dan Hurley required? Let him do whatever he damn well pleased?
You're talking about a coach who kicked a stud, Tristan Thompson, off the St. Benedict's team
for insubordination.
Can't have a different set of rules for one guy and another for the rest of the team.
Oh, well...it's a message board and everyone has a right to their ideas.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He's done, and his scholly will be available for the 2015-16 season.

That's what I was told. Whether or not he stays in school is up to him. Hopefully he does until he transfers, whether this winter or next spring.

Concerning the APR situation, it shouldn't be a problem, unless he bails.

There is NO more uncertainty about him coming back. He's not.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Papa relax. Your young'uns are right. But your all RHODY lost mind and all. Could be a fun season Rodman.

GO RHODY!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thx for reality check Rod.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI will not be as good of a team this year without Jordan Hare, but not by that much. I was hoping for this team to be on the NCAA bubble with a chance of getting invited. This doesn't help, but if we have a relatively injury free year for example, it would be worth more than losing Jordan.

Does Jordan not participating in any game mean that he can go elsewhere and not lose a year of eligibility? Will the NCAA count last year as one of five he has to complete his eligibility? How strategic was the timing here?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"Elvis has left the building." And he's got a better shot at returning than Hare.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ace, Rod, you are both aware enough to know I'm neither comparing the two as people nor comparing their on/off court issues, I am saying the writing was on the wall in both cases, so I got over planing on them helping the team as of the moment I read about Mike's altercation, in both cases I wish for nothing but good health and happiness, I'm just not devastated by the Hare news because I became aware of the writing on the wall long ago, one of my first reactions to the Aaman news was to state "get ready for an Aamanless and Hareless team" an opinion which I based on the very different on/off court issues of the two. I got ranked on, I guess for my pessimism, which at this time I consider realism. The one and only reason the situations are comparable, is that in both cases the unraveling was semi public and a clear indication that neither player would be involved in our rebuilding going forward so my advice was "get ready." I'm just doing an "I told you so" because I got lambasted for not gushing over their finer qualities and letting them cloud my pictures of our programs future, which is bright and Hareless, Aamanless. Basically, I'm saying I got over this latest news long before we received it.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'