2014-15 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: 2014-15 Schedule

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Time will tell. Two games against crapola teams isn't highlight reel stuff.
The buzz is with us, the hardcore followers, who pay attention to
the program.
The malaise that infects URI students won't pass until this program becomes a
consistent winner.
How many of those 4,000 or so people at Madness came there because of
a freebie, to see some guy prancing around and yelling into his mike, named Hood?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Blue Man wrote:
Nationally known players going head to head.
I consider myself a "casual" college basketball fan in general. I have no idea who the best player (or ANY player) on Nebraska is, and I doubt if many other casual fans in RI do. The only thing that will fill up the Ryan Center for the Nebraska game is if the marketing campaign pushes their Ranking, like "Come see the Runnin' Rams take on #23 Nebraska!"
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

URI_IEP wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Nationally known players going head to head.
I consider myself a "casual" college basketball fan in general. I have no idea who the best player (or ANY player) on Nebraska is, and I doubt if many other casual fans in RI do. The only thing that will fill up the Ryan Center for the Nebraska game is if the marketing campaign pushes their Ranking, like "Come see the Runnin' Rams take on #23 Nebraska!"
You're probably right on that. I honestly believe because most of our fans are, at best, "casual" fans, they'd associate Nebraska as a "big name program" because of football and show up.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I expect a sell out
Clapton is God
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

gorhody89 wrote:I expect a sell out
You are expecting too much. I had thought a November game versus USC to open up the brand new Ryan Center in 2002 just a few years removed from three straight NCAA appearances would be a sellout as well. It drew less than 6k (5785).

My guess is that the Nebraska game draws in the low 6k range which would be very good for most URI OOC games.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Low 6000 would likely irritate Dan. 7000 would be better. I don't think anyone is expecting a sellout or would be honestly upset if 7000 noisy fans were in the building that Saturday night.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No doubt we have had some attendance problems in recent years because of the stretch of losing seasons, but that should not obscure that the fan base has made progress since Ryan opened despite past problems like Baron as coach etc. As just one example, we opened the Ryan Center with game against a big name opponent, USC led by Henry Bibby and drew 5785. Last year we opened versus ho hum Maine and drew 5410.

BTW, my records show 12 sellouts in Ryan Center history. An equally important fact is only 35 games out of about 180 showed attendance less than 4000, a key benchmark since that was close to the maximum allowed in Keaney. Unfortunately 17 of those 35 occurred in the last three seasons.
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Bought my tickets last night for the Nebraska game. Can't wait!

FYI: Almost the entire upper section is still available.
Last edited by Justns11 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the biggest thing that will help attendance for the Nebraska game will be that little number next to their name (AP poll just released and Nebraska is #21)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My wife goes to all the games with me but doesn't follow it as closely as I do. When I talk excitedly about the upcoming season, she looks at me skeptically. I'm not saying she's right, but she's still thinking about last season's sub-500 season. I suspect a lot of URI fans think the same way as my wife, and couple of wins over push-overs won't erase that. I'd be happy if we draw 6K against Nebraska. If we win that game and do well in Orlando, then we can expect more excitement.
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Time will tell. Two games against crapola teams isn't highlight reel stuff.
The buzz is with us, the hardcore followers, who pay attention to
the program.
The malaise that infects URI students won't pass until this program becomes a
consistent winner.
How many of those 4,000 or so people at Madness came there because of
a freebie, to see some guy prancing around and yelling into his mike, named Hood?
To follow up on this, when I was in line waiting to get into Madness, I listened to a few of the students talking to try and get a feel for the night. One short conversation I heard was, " I know, I hate basketball"...."Me too."...."I know, I can't stand it."....obviously a small sample size, but just an observation. I think a lot of them were there for Ace Hood, just like last year when they were there for the free cheeseburgers. I also agree that if you want a big crowd at this early point in the season, that it has to be pushed on campus, whether by the players, cheerleaders, ramettes, students representing the fan section, whatever. I just don't think that a large amount of students are looking at the basketball schedule and getting excited like we are in here. It's going to take a while. I would love to see a packed house on Nov. 22nd. I just don't see it...........yet.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Ticket sales for the Nebraska game look to be pretty strong based on the seats already sold considering the game is still three weeks away. I would think there would be a good chance for a sellout. I know I already bought 3 tickets a week ago when visiting my daughter in Warwick. My wife and I will be driving up from NJ and my daughter will be going also. If they can pull off a win it could catapult them to a great season. A sellout crowd could only increase their chances. Hopefully there will be some media hype around game week to push a sellout.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

luke wrote:Ticket sales for the Nebraska game look to be pretty strong based on the seats already sold considering the game is still three weeks away. I would think there would be a good chance for a sellout. I know I already bought 3 tickets a week ago when visiting my daughter in Warwick. My wife and I will be driving up from NJ and my daughter will be going also. If they can pull off a win it could catapult them to a great season. A sellout crowd could only increase their chances. Hopefully there will be some media hype around game week to push a sellout.
How many seats are reserved for students? By looking at that map, it looks like sections 114, 101, 102, 107, 108, 109, 215, 201, 202 and 301. Those appear as being sold out, but actually aren't taken yet. On top of that, there are about 2500 unsold seats in the other sections.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The student allotment is capped at 1500. It has gone above that figure on occasion, but only when they know they can't sell the tickets and if it happens, it is always a last minute move.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:The student allotment is capped at 1500. It has gone above that figure on occasion, but only when they know they can't sell the tickets and if it happens, it is always a last minute move.
Yep, and we have that in our pocket. They invade the 1500 allotment more frequently than you know.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Blue Man wrote: This is what worries me about our fan base. If people don't consider a school that's got as much national publicity in the past couple years, from a power conference, that's been to the tournament, that's ranked, that has one of the top players in the country, a big name...we've got huge problems.

The biggest name team we've had come to the Ryan Center in the past decade is Boston College. Honestly just about any power conference team should be a big name to this fan base at this point.

Anyone who even casually follows college sports will still know the Nebraska name just because of their football program. We had 4000 people come and see Virginia Tech in a season when everyone HATED the team and were waiting for Jim Baron to be fired. We were 1-7 at that point, and Va Tech is a football name only.
Unless there's bad weather, our hard-core fan base is about 4,000. Even the 83-84 team, which is the worst URI team I've ever seen, could draw that many.

And wasn't that Virginia Tech team the one with Ace Custis, Damon Watlington and those guys? That was a damned good team and, unlike Nebraska, a league opponent.

And didn't Nebraska come here when Danny Nee was coaching them and they were nationally ranked? What did we draw for that game?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The number and liveliness of the students present at games is critical to building a Ryan intimidation factor and vibe. URI has the historical stats per game on student attendance and I believe the data shows that other than PC and marquee games that number of students attending games only occasionally reaches or exceeds the 1500. So moving the program up and winning important games will insure that the students fill the quota of 1500 for each and every game. Only then will you see tent cities and long lines for student tickets. We are a long way from that right now.

To RI Red: Nebraska did not come to Keaney during Nee's tenure as the Cornhuskers coach. We have had only one game with Nebraska and that occurred in Baron's disastrous last season when they routed us in a game in Lincoln.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Today vs Manhattan @ xx:xx time. No press and no fans right?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Right .... closed to press and fans. I'm hoping some info will leak out somehow.
Slava Ukraini!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I saw some info that SIDs and coaches are allowed to discuss after the game. Im sure there will be some news out there later today or tomorrow. There has already been press on other scrimmages.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

what rhodyjay said, look for Jeff Goodman he's been tweeting out info on the "secret" scrimmages
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Good stuff guys, good stuff.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

never quite understood the secrecy behind scrimmages
GO RAMS
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

So nobody knows who won?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Does it matter? I don't think that was the point. Who won the Patriots joint practices this summer with Washington and Philly?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Just curious, Harvard beat Providence
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

It does matter to me. This secret scrimmage BS is just that.. BS...
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Danny Nee coached Duquense for a couple seasons. One game that sticks out in my mind, Rhody took the lead on a Howie Smith basket at the end. Nee set up the play where the player covering the in bounds runs into a pick. Marcel Momplasir ran over some Dukie and the ref swallowed the whistle. Nee and his Slim Whitman tie chased the refs off the court to no avail.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:never quite understood the secrecy behind scrimmages
I think someone already mentioned why media/fans aren't allowed during the actual scrimmages -- it allows both teams to use plays/schemes that they would otherwise want to keep under wraps. It's nice for them to know they can explore their playbook.

That's also why you won't see scrimmages between teams who regularly play each other. Neither team walks away wish useful info about the other team that can be used against them in a game that counts.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

OOC is so important this year, not enough to just be tough jan 3 and on. A10 has enjoyed tons of bids recently but it all stems from winning games in Nov/Dec.

Hope that Neb game the Cornhuskers get blitzed by our athleticism. Have to figure we can overwhelm some teams with Hassan, Hare, TJ out there. Getting them uncomfortable with those guys on D, transition, some big finishes at the rim getting the crowd into it.

Obviously our other guys all offer something we love to talk about, but nothing makes people uncomfortable like surprising athleticism that blocks your shot.

Also a team that can get down the floor on a TO/rebound puts tremendous pressure on the opponent cause they are worried if they mess up, the other team is off to the races. For Nov when teams aren't executing because its early, could be critical.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:It does matter to me. This secret scrimmage BS is just that.. BS...
I don't understand what you mean....what is BS?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay is in danger of being put on double secret probation,
by Dan Hurley!
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

In these scrimmages, literally everything in the book is tried. Get to a game-like tempo and play everyone as well. Don't put a ton of stock in these, but it is fun to follow.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Also, for what it's worth...

BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

And this...

Again, I hope everyone isn't putting much stock into this. I for one think "losing" these games are great for the team going forward. Much more constructive development in the film room for Dan.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

based on those tweets..im very curious how we "lost." forcing 22 turnovers and dominating that glass usually means an easy win.

I'm going to chalk it up to one of "those nights" where you miss all the shots you take...but then again...it's a scrimmage and it really doesn't mean anything.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:based on those tweets..im very curious how we "lost." forcing 22 turnovers and dominating that glass usually means an easy win.

I'm going to chalk it up to one of "those nights" where you miss all the shots you take...but then again...it's a scrimmage and it really doesn't mean anything.
Has to be it. Plus, Koch tweeted Manhattan shot under 37%. Shoot under 37%, get killed on boards, 20+ turnovers and win? Rhody must have shot 25%.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote:based on those tweets..im very curious how we "lost." forcing 22 turnovers and dominating that glass usually means an easy win.

Manhattan shot 51 free throws, 31 in second half
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I wouldn't read much into it one way or the other. In this case, the reports are 100% spin, since nobody actually saw it, right? So whatever is being reported is being fed for one reason or another, and as pointless as it is to speculate about the motivations for it, it is still obvious that the info is meant to serve some purpose or another. So best to just ignore it and be happy nobody got hurt.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

twisted3829 wrote:

Manhattan shot 51 free throws, 31 in second half
I'm hoping they ref these games VERY tightly.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha 51 free throws could certainly explain it. But yeah, not worth reading too much into it.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: I'm hoping they ref these games VERY tightly.
For all we know Dan asked them to, thats the thing about these scrimmages. Who knows, maybe they weren't fouling people out either which led to players going for it a little more. Just so much unknown.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agreed. Best to ignore this.
So much for a "secret" scrimmage.
51 free throws? Sure we weren't scrimmaging St. Joe's?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Being a "scrimmage" 51 FT's seems ridiculous. I know we're going to play aggressive defense, but seriously.

However, shooting could still be a problem this year. Looks like it was against them.

Not worried about EC and Hassan. Freshmen probably had the jitters. It happens.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If EC and Hassan struggling is the biggest concern we are in GREAT shape.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

51 free throws? no foul out? how many minutes did Gil play...
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So much for secrets
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

they should just call them what they are...closed scrimmages.