General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by ace »

UCH21377 wrote:I think it was Ace on one of the threads that said we should go after a top tier guard every year. I agree with her. Can't have enough of them, and things change too quickly with injuries, transfers etc.
I do think that- not necessarily any guard, but a highly regarded scorer or pure pg, depending on need? Absolutely, and especially in this conference and with this offense. I don't know if Poyser is that guy, but they certainly seem interested. Bigs are a definite need, and they're addressing that as well.

The guards are the best players on this team, but if they wait for a '16, they're looking at a freshmen that would join a team without Minnis and possibly Matthews. Poyser may be well-served to look at guys like Scoochie Smith and Terrence Samuel, very good players who are certainly going to get their chances but were able to slowly work into the rotation on their teams

Right now, I think this program is an easier sell to higher ranked guards than bigs. I get it, but I'm not sure it's completely fair. Martin developed very nicely last year- if you look at early tape of him and then towards the end of the season, there is just no comparison. He worked hard and had the luxury of little competition, but that kind of progress doesn't just happen without the right support.
Last edited by ace 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You can never have too many guards at the Div 1 level, and with the luxury of not being desperate and having a great story to sell (pedigree, success of EC and JT eventually) I am sure it is easier to attract high level back court players than front court guys. I have no problem with another great guard being brought in for '15.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, Dan told me they need an big man who can score.
Nuff said.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, Dan told me they need an big man who can score.
Nuff said.
No one is saying they don't.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He's been looking for a stretch four since he got here.
Hopefully, he'll find one from the 2015 class.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

The biggest need skill set this team needs is shooting. Bigs or guards, someone, or even better 2 or 3 someones, who can knock down a shot.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Of course we need a big who can score. But so does every program in the country basically. I just dont think we are at the point, nor will we ever be, to be choosy about 3-4 star recruits that are interesting in coming to Kingston.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

And yet we just scratched having a shot with Enoch to have a better shot at Silva. It's going to be a wild ride all the time now. ..many were gung-ho over Gustys, then Reuter, Enoch and now Silva. The endless cycle of players that we have considered just keeps evolving with what is becoming available to us. It's not luck, it seems like we are in on much better players than we were at the start of the summer. A trend I would like to see continue.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Keeping track of the local kids. Top ranked freshmen in the state. The Swider kid is one to watch, 6'3" shooting guard and still growing. Note who is at #3.

http://ripreps.weebly.com/class-of-2018.html
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:Keeping track of the local kids. Top ranked freshmen in the state. The Swider kid is one to watch, 6'3" shooting guard and still growing. Note who is at #3.
Wow, that site is a throwback! The message board reminds me of the ole Projo boards, heh. That list though, it really needs the player years for the proper context, as well as an "about" section somewhere on the website. I have no idea who's behind the site, and obviously that would effect the credibility of the rankings.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The boards seem to be same ancient software that drives Canisius' basketball message board.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Is Marquis Nickerson Jay Nickerson's kid? Seems barely possible since Jay was at Hendrick only a little before I was in high school. But i guess it could be.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

I don't know why URI has to recruit outside of Rhode Island when there are 5' 10" forwards and 6' 2" power forwards right here in the state.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Because he doesn't think EC will play four years, Hurley is treating him as a junior recruiting wise, which is why he's looking at so many guards and wings this year.
While it would be nice to add another big, the 2015 lineup will have a frontcourt of Hare, Martin and Terrell, with Watson, Iffy, Butts and Reischel coming off the bench.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Other than Hare, nobody is really a center. All 6'7". Terrell is a guard.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rod, with all due respect, you're looking at the game through 20-year-old glasses. There aren't many "true centers" anymore, and URI isn't going to get a lot of them. And, yes, Terrell is a guard but he's the third guard, a position that used to be called small forward. The game has changed because the players skill sets have changed.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Terrell won't be playing as a small forward. Hurley is setting up a 3 guard offense. Terrell is 6-3. Don't get me wrong. He's a beefy 6-3! But he is not supposed to be the inside presence that will replace Biruta (preseason 3rd team all A-10). We just do not have that guy yet. Not to mention, after the 2015 season, Watson is gone too. Maybe some others will be gone as well. Hurley said at Media Day that there will be about 3 talented players that will get stuck on the bench...I doubt they will want to ride the pine for their college careers.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ram Stampede!!! wrote:Terrell won't be playing as a small forward. Hurley is setting up a 3 guard offense. Terrell is 6-3. Don't get me wrong. He's a beefy 6-3! But he is not supposed to be the inside presence that will replace Biruta (preseason 3rd team all A-10). We just do not have that guy yet. Not to mention, after the 2015 season, Watson is gone too. Maybe some others will be gone as well. Hurley said at Media Day that there will be about 3 talented players that will get stuck on the bench...I doubt they will want to ride the pine for their college careers.
He's not as beefy anymore. Dan said when he came in, he was 235. Now he's around 215. I'm guessing he has added quickness to go with his explosiveness.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Ram Stampede!!! wrote:Terrell won't be playing as a small forward. Hurley is setting up a 3 guard offense. Terrell is 6-3. Don't get me wrong. He's a beefy 6-3! But he is not supposed to be the inside presence that will replace Biruta (preseason 3rd team all A-10). We just do not have that guy yet. Not to mention, after the 2015 season, Watson is gone too. Maybe some others will be gone as well. Hurley said at Media Day that there will be about 3 talented players that will get stuck on the bench...I doubt they will want to ride the pine for their college careers.
I didn't say Terrell was a SF. I said he was the third guard in a 3-guard lineup.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Show me ONE team which has done damage in the NCAAs with one
guy over 6'7".
I'll wait with my 20 year old glasses.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:Show me ONE team which has done damage in the NCAAs with one
guy over 6'7".

Rupp's Runts….

ONLY KIDDING, ROD!!!!!

(Between your computer and your glasses, that's a lot of Guinness Book material!)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

UCLA, right before Lew, but that was 50 years ago.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sure 50 years ago we had Steve Chubin and Denny McGovern as our
forwards. They were 6'3".
PC went 24-2 with 6'7" Dexter Westbrook at center.
Those days are gone.
You had UCLA with a 6'9" point guard, last year, Anderson.
We've seen 6'6" and 6'7" guards on these recruiting lists.
Kids are getting bigger, not smaller.

As seen through my 20 year old glasses.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Bud Hazard was a 6-6 center for URI .... back in 70-71
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Our all time leading rebounder and a 20 ppg. guy, Art Stephanson
was 6'4". Of course, he was built like the Rock of Gibraltar, and
took up almost as much space.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Show me ONE team which has done damage in the NCAAs with one
guy over 6'7".

Lasalle two years ago had Jerrell Wright at 6'7 and Steve Zack at 6'9 they did pretty good with a three guard lineup.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

The need for prototypical bigmen in today's college game is an argument that can go on forever, but regardless of where you stand on it we were on the final lists for Reuter, Silva, and Aflakpui so the staff sees the frontcourt as a recruiting need. For whatever reason, we aren't mentioned with alot of frontcourt players right now, especially in comparison to the number of guards we're reportedly involved with. That needs to change.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BFC sees the truth!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree on the need to add a frontcourt player, but I don't think you can measure priorities based on the number of outstanding offers. We may be looking to add only one guard, but we could offer 50 kids as part of that process. There are just more guards to sift through in order to find the right player. The universe of big men is much smaller, and the best ones are ticketed for elite programs, so there just aren't going to be the volume of offers. I think they will search for the right guy (or guys) and really lock in on him. Just my thought on it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The facts are, they really went after THREE bigs. Three.
The recruiting is over for the Fall signing period.
The idea that there are no worthy players over 6'7" or
only BCS schools can get them, is absurd.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying that there are no players over 6'7" worth pursuing, but there are definitely less of them than there are 6'0" players. There are just less guys that tall, generally, and when you are dealing with 16 and 17 years olds a lot of them are still growing and/or still growing into their bodies. So the evaluation is a little tougher. If it turns out that they targeted a couple guys they really liked for the early period and will use this season to identify some more guys (that were maybe 6'5" last year, or who developed and improved over the summer), then I'm ok with that. I believe more targets will emerge over the winter for the spring signing period and we will get at least one guy to add to Butts for our frontcourt haul.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wonder if there are any international targets. Australian big men seem to be into playing NCAA ball and they are good. SLU has benefited and obviously Bogut, some others? Maybe we can grab another international for our international.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Problem with international players, is the NCAA clearing house.
As we've seen with Iffy, and PC with Bentil, they're tough.
I wish we could get one like the 7 foot kid at Bonaventure.
He even shoots free throws well.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea exactly its like striking gold!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yes, there are always going to be more guards in the mix. I know some people get all worked up about this, but there are the JUCO ranks to pull from as well. Some very good programs have made great use of such players. There's a preference for getting freshmen guards to develop in this system, but don't overlook the benefit of adding a 21 or so year old body up front- it's only for 2 years but with some of the freshmen big men that Rhody could get, you're not always looking at an immediate impact anyway. Watson looks solid, and Hurley did very well adding Jonathon Williams at Wagner. Adding in three freshmen and a JUCO could work out just fine.

Another general recruiting thing that is on the horizon is the new eligibility standards for recruits starting in '16.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Yes, there are always going to be more guards in the mix. I know some people get all worked up about this, but there are the JUCO ranks to pull from as well. Some very good programs have made great use of such players. There's a preference for getting freshmen guards to develop in this system, but don't overlook the benefit of adding a 21 or so year old body up front- it's only for 2 years but with some of the freshmen big men that Rhody could get, you're not always looking at an immediate impact anyway. Watson looks solid, and Hurley did very well adding Jonathon Williams at Wagner. Adding in three freshmen and a JUCO could work out just fine.

Another general recruiting thing that is on the horizon is the new eligibility standards for recruits starting in '16.
I didn't know anything about the new standards until I just read about them. Wow, it looks there might be a lot of ineligible freshman around the country in two years.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:Yes, there are always going to be more guards in the mix. I know some people get all worked up about this, but there are the JUCO ranks to pull from as well. Some very good programs have made great use of such players. There's a preference for getting freshmen guards to develop in this system, but don't overlook the benefit of adding a 21 or so year old body up front- it's only for 2 years but with some of the freshmen big men that Rhody could get, you're not always looking at an immediate impact anyway. Watson looks solid, and Hurley did very well adding Jonathon Williams at Wagner. Adding in three freshmen and a JUCO could work out just fine.

I didn't know anything about the new standards until I just read about them. Wow, it looks there might be a lot of ineligible freshman around the country in two years.
Yeah, very possibly. The standards were first announced when the '16s were in 8th grade, so if the players are at least adequate students and have been connected with people/schools who are paying attention, they should be fine. It's definitely worth it to college programs to have those relationships with schools where this is likely to not be a problem. The guys that jump around from school to school or end up at some of those questionable ones could be in trouble.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I don't think anyone is hitting the panic button but its still a fair observation that PF's and C's are lacking on Recruitment Corner.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We are recruiting Tyrique Jones, although he is a '16. I was hoping he'd be with his Vermont Academy teammates last night
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's also a fair observation that recruiting exists beyond what is posted here. Thompson first appeared here and verballed within 3 days. I like talking about recruiting, and I'll save my worrying about it until a time when the results aren't there. So far, so good.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Verbal commits has us involved with a kid named Seth Dugan, a 6'11", '15 from Michigan. He sounds like he might be a project though.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dugan is a stiff. Think Jon Clarke.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Dugan is a stiff. Think Jon Clarke.
I just checked the other sites. None of them has us involved with him, so I'm guessing we probably aren't.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He's from Michigan. Probably a leftover Preston contact.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ace wrote:It's also a fair observation that recruiting exists beyond what is posted here. Thompson first appeared here and verballed within 3 days. I like talking about recruiting, and I'll save my worrying about it until a time when the results aren't there. So far, so good.
Agree. I sometimes there's a sense of entitlement when it comes to recruiting information these days, even if the signal/noise ratio is poor. Personally, I don't have the energy/time to follow any of it until we're really close (see Jared Terrell Fall; Jared Terrell Spring).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, sorry to offend anyone with my "sense of entitlement".
Guess that goes for all those who post on this part of the site,
the people who call me with tips, the recruiting services, and writers
who follow recruiting.
Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. Ask any coach and they'll tell you they lose more sleep
over recruiting than the games themselves.
Some of us feel the same and follow accordingly.
Don't like it. Don't read it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Clearly recruiting is an important aspect of the program, and it is an important aspect of this site. I think what ATP is saying, though, is it isn't necessarily in the program's best interest for their recruiting tactics and priorities to be public knowledge. So sometimes stuff is happening behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. We will always care about what we can find out and encourage everyone to share what they can. But all of it should be taken with a grain of salt because there is a lot of misinformation that is spread for strategic reasons (by both the teams and the players).
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I don't even see why everyone is getting so preachy about this, there's been plenty of freakouts and overreactions over recruiting stuff on this board, pointing out we need to get involved with some frontcourt players hardly seems worthy of all this.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thank you, BFC.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

BFC wrote:I don't even see why everyone is getting so preachy about this, there's been plenty of freakouts and overreactions over recruiting stuff on this board, pointing out we need to get involved with some frontcourt players hardly seems worthy of all this.
Freakouts and overreactions about what?????????????????????????????????

23,875 pages of JT Talk?????

A multi-talented big is legit fodder for freakout and overreactive discussion!

Keep going, men.
0 x