THIS Year (2014-15)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Next Year

Unread post by TruePoint »

Having a floater in your arsenal allows you to credibly penetrate into the lane in the half court as a point guard. You don't need to use it all the time, and you probably shouldn't, but if you can't make that shot then good luck getting interior defenders to step up and stop your penetration. The primary goal of penetrating is to draw defenders and open up easy buckets for your bigs. The chance that you will be able to consistently get all the way to the rim as a six-foot guard is pretty slim.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Having a floater in your arsenal allows you to credibly penetrate into the lane in the half court as a point guard. You don't need to use it all the time, and you probably shouldn't, but if you can't make that shot then good luck getting interior defenders to step up and stop your penetration. The primary goal of penetrating is to draw defenders and open up easy buckets for your bigs. The chance that you will be able to consistently get all the way to the rim as a six-foot guard is pretty slim.
I remember Mike driving the lane putting up Floaters. Sometimes the ball got stripped, sometimes the shot ,missed, rarely did the floater go in the basket and most often the Floater got blocked.
A year ago, and even less than a year ago, posters were saying Mike was out starting PG. I didn't even have Mike in my Top 8 players on the team. I was often told that EC was not a point.
Mike is not a High Atlantic 10 Division PG which is where we want to be and where we are now. The average recruit that we are now chasing has not been at this level since the Harrick years.
Mike sealed his fate when he got ticked off about losing his starting position - which was not wise because Buchanan, Minnis, Munford and Mathews can all play PG better then Mike imho. Too much dribbling, not good shooting, not good defense - at least not for upper echelon A10 play. Mike will find a starting spot somewhere I believe.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of Mike, but I wasn't really talking about Mike. I'm saying, in general, a floater is a good thing to have in your toolbox if you are a PG. And to add what I said in my previous post, even a missed floater with the high rebound it tends to result in is better then forcing up a wild shot at the rim into the trees underneath.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ramster, you basically dismantle MP's rep as a PG, then you end by stating he'll find a starting spot somewhere??? Like most of us here I watch as much live Rhody game action as possible and in the two and a half seasons he played I don't remember MP shooting as many floaters as I have fingers on one hand, to the point where Bobby Hurley made a point to mention it publicly. As a freshman he showed promise, but it seems apparent that he did not focus on the aspects of his game that his coaches identified as important. I hope life has good things in store for MP, but I fear he screwed himself by bailing mid-season junior year, instead of shooting 1000 floaters a week and increasing his potency he failed and bailed.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i agree running ram. ramster you keep talking about MPs floaters, quite the contrary, it was his lack of a floater that killed him. he would try to take it in with the trees, instead of stopping at 10-12 feet. not sure which MP you were watching, my first convo with Bobby he said he was trying his hardest to teach MP a floater.

you also continually bring up that posters thought MP would start game 1 last year. and guess what, he did start game 1 last year. eventually biggie won out. that is what most everyone believed, but some thought DH would make biggie earn it to some degree, and that is exactly as it played out. regardless i dont think anyone was clamoring that MP was our PG for the future, then and especially not now. also even EC admits he is learning how to play PG, you are the only person who thinks he is one right now. he is a scoring slashing 2/3, with the ability to become an above average ball handler and facilitator of offense/playmaker in time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Bobby used the word "resistant" when I asked him about teaching
Powell the floater.
If the top NCAA career assist leader, two time All American, NBA
lottery pick can't get a guy to listen, there's a problem.
Why would you not want to listen and learn from greatness?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:i agree running ram. ramster you keep talking about MPs floaters, quite the contrary, it was his lack of a floater that killed him. he would try to take it in with the trees, instead of stopping at 10-12 feet. not sure which MP you were watching, my first convo with Bobby he said he was trying his hardest to teach MP a floater.

you also continually bring up that posters thought MP would start game 1 last year. and guess what, he did start game 1 last year. eventually biggie won out. that is what most everyone believed, but some thought DH would make biggie earn it to some degree, and that is exactly as it played out. regardless i dont think anyone was clamoring that MP was our PG for the future, then and especially not now. also even EC admits he is learning how to play PG, you are the only person who thinks he is one right now. he is a scoring slashing 2/3, with the ability to become an above average ball handler and facilitator of offense/playmaker in time.
BAR,
If I am the only one who thinks that EC can play PG now then so be it. Hurley played EC at PG plenty of minutes last year.
If Powell did not put up any Floaters last year then those shots that he had swatted in the lane must have been shots other than a Floater - and many of his 8-10 foot shots I saw just missed.
When I say MP will find playing time somewhere it may be end up at D2 or D3 but it will be somewhere.
I was never a fan of Powell.
He was the typical Jim Baron PG who dribbled, dribbled, dribbled and then when he got tired of dribbling he dribbled some more. Not a good passer either and rarely had his head up to see the floor.
Dan Hurley let him start the season last year for sure, much to my dismay. Was it a success? NO.
I wonder what Dan would do differently if he could start last season over again?
You say he started the season at PG as if to make my opinion wrong. He started sure, but should he have? History says not.
Many posters were supportive of MG being our starting PG -
We were a much better team the last 10 games of the season then we were the first 10 games for a lot of reasons - MP gone and EC 30+ minutes per game was a huge reason.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:ramster, you basically dismantle MP's rep as a PG, then you end by stating he'll find a starting spot somewhere??? Like most of us here I watch as much live Rhody game action as possible and in the two and a half seasons he played I don't remember MP shooting as many floaters as I have fingers on one hand, to the point where Bobby Hurley made a point to mention it publicly. As a freshman he showed promise, but it seems apparent that he did not focus on the aspects of his game that his coaches identified as important. I hope life has good things in store for MP, but I fear he screwed himself by bailing mid-season junior year, instead of shooting 1000 floaters a week and increasing his potency he failed and bailed.
True, I do think Mike will find a starting spot as a PG, likely at a low D1 school or possibly a D2 or D3 school. I just don't see MP as a starting PG on an A10 Team and especially a high A10 Team as we are now.
I never cared for MP's game, far too much dribbling for me, not a good passer. I can count on one hand the number of eye-popping passes he made.
EC, TJ, Minnis all turned out to be better PG's than MP. Hurley even played Munford at PG some last year. I'd take all 4 of these guys over MP. And I would have said that even before last season started which I did.
My line up BEFORE last season started was this:
C Hare
F Biruta
G Mathews
G Munford
5th Spot a battle between Martin, Buchanan and Minnis.
I did not see MP as a factor - and that ended up being true. Even if MP hadn't walked away he would not have played much at all.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ramster, if he didn't bail on the team last year, and I mean that in every aspect of the word bail, MP most certainly would have played more, and been a factor in that he would have provided blow time for others, he wouldn't have been a world beater, most of us are saying the same thing when it comes to his gifts and abilities, just that you seem to, a little bit, rewrite history, MP did not shoot floaters and he would have played some by virtue of necessity, Biggie was injured and he had plenty of his own struggles at PG, MP would have continued to play. MP started the season because Biggie just wasn't ready yet, that's what most of us thought would happen and that's what happened, no body claimed he would be the best PG, but that he was the one with the most experience in the A10 at the time, so it made sense for him to begin the season as the starting PG. But I'm done debating with you on this one, because its all old news which makes it history, on to the new, or as the thread tittle suggests "Next Year"...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:Bobby used the word "resistant" when I asked him about teaching
Powell the floater.
If the top NCAA career assist leader, two time All American, NBA
lottery pick can't get a guy to listen, there's a problem.
Why would you not want to listen and learn from greatness?
That says it all about our former diminutive PG. Can't wait to watch our NEW one!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bill Koch @BillKoch25 · 28m

#URI PG Jarvis Garrett has passed the NCAA Clearinghouse. RT @COOLKID_GARRETT The best news I could receive today...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Had kind of forgot to worry about this, but great news. Congrats Jarvis!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Relief! I want to start the season full force!
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Practice clips, comments from Hurley on Watson, Garrett, and Terrell-

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Would have been better is we could hear Dan over the crapola noise.
Garrett is a jet. Not sure about Watson's offense. Terrell looks ready....
for the NBA.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Can't imagine Terrell not starting.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Can't hear a word Hurley's saying in that video, unfortunately.
0 x
Go Rhody!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

MBB Video production leaves a lot to be desired, I'm afraid.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jarvis workin' it!

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It's great all 3 guys raised the talent and competition level on our team.

I agree on Terrell, his body has to be a Top 5 in the A10 or something. The limited shots we get of him he looks fine. I don't understand why we should taper expectations on him, his game should translate well as he's almost 20 and clearly his strength will be right there off the bat. (In conference play)

I feel bad for Mann, clearly @URI he would get competition in practice that would make him better. Clearly DH has some handle on developing guards and understands what a pro should be. The team is going to be competitive. Plus EC could play a year with Mann before leaving making his transition perfect. The one chance to be home with family after spending high school away and develop into a NBA prospect should have kept him home.

FSU doesn't exactly have this pipeline to the nba or a reputation for developing NBA guards.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:It's great all 3 guys raised the talent and competition level on our team.

I agree on Terrell, his body has to be a Top 5 in the A10 or something. The limited shots we get of him he looks fine. I don't understand why we should taper expectations on him, his game should translate well as he's almost 20 and clearly his strength will be right there off the bat. (In conference play)

I feel bad for Mann, clearly @URI he would get competition in practice that would make him better. Clearly DH has some handle on developing guards and understands what a pro should be. The team is going to be competitive. Plus EC could play a year with Mann before leaving making his transition perfect. The one chance to be home with family after spending high school away and develop into a NBA prospect should have kept him home.

FSU doesn't exactly have this pipeline to the nba or a reputation for developing NBA guards.
he liked the school and the coach, can't blame him. It's his decision to make i don't think it's the wrong one
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:It's great all 3 guys raised the talent and competition level on our team.

I think you answered your own question; crowded back court, all young. Mann is a talented kid who doesn't want to sit behind anyone. Also, your last statement about FSU's developing NBA guards is curiouos, given DH and URIs history of developing NBA guards.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

Sorry I absolutely loathe Sean as much as the next rhody fan but have to agree with him here. Seawright what the hell are you talking about??

Yea we all love EC and he will play in the league. Where and when he goes in the draft is a total crapshoot. Personally I think he could be A10 POY this season and go as high as 8 to 10 overall. But those are all big ifs. God forbid he gets hurt and doesn't play again. The bottom line is DH (god love him) and co. haven't put anybody here into the league yet, Rhody hasn't put a guard in since Cat and a player since Baldy Kardashian.

So, Sean even though I am agreeing with you I still sincerely hope that you're cat (just always pictured sean as a fat sweaty dude in his moms basement looking up PC bullshit while stroking his 27 cats) chokes on a hairball and croaks.

But Seawright; FSU has actually put a couple of guys, mostly guards, in the league in the last couple of years and in their history: Chris Singleton, Toney Douglas, Al Thornton and Von Wafer are all recent and still playing. Bernard James is a center playing for Dallas. Lets not forget about the 3 C's they put into the league as well: Dave Cowens, the alien Sam Cassell and Heisman winner Charlie Ward.

Bottom line is there is no sour grapes. the kid made his own decision and I applaud that. Who wants to go to college with their mom anyways. Its all gravy, their will be other guys rated just as high or higher. Manns a good player indeed but look if you follow the recruiting services you are doing yourself a disservice. 2 months ago Rivals and Scout could barely tell you who Jalen Poyser was. 2 star at best. Now he's number 80something in the country. 2 months ago if I ask you who you would rather have him or Mann, you would have said "who the hell is Jalen Poyser? give me Mann". Now, knowing what we know or what we think we know, who would you rather have??
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Mann, for a lot of reasons. Plus, he's 6'5", not 6'3" and could play the
swing position.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I was talking about more the JR Smiths of the world, Kabongo.... Basically I'm saying that DH put guys in from hs until they didn't allow that and then he was coaching guys that were 1 and dones. And Now at his first upper half NCAA school he already has a guy that looks like a pro prospect.

I'm completely aware of FSU pro players. The 3 C's don't count for more than URI's 1990's guys.

For Mann, I was just saying this is his first and likely only opportunity to share a home with his family for a decade give or take. Think about it with high school and college all being away and him likely playing overseas. If you want to discount that? That's fine.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wait, Dan has been here only 2 years. Only one of his guys has even graduated.. How many do you expect to be in the NBA by now?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Wait, Dan has been here only 2 years. Only one of his guys has even graduated.. How many do you expect to be in the NBA by now?
Right? That's creating some impossibly limiting stipulations. It's like saying, how can you think Terrell is a good player? He's scoreless in his college career!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Chris DiSano @CDiSano44 · Sep 1

Putting finishing touches on @RhodyMBB preview for @BlueRibbonSport. 5th year contributing to the bible of college hoops. Due out in Oct.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

EH. What does DiSano know anyway!???!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Proud to have all Rhody MBB games on B101 (101.5 FM) this season - an FM signal for every game for the first time: http://gorhody.com/genrel/releases/0904cc

that's good news.. Maybe we can listen to the postgame show on our way home from games without it cutting out the whole time.. Even better if there are lots of wins to talk about!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

'Bout time!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Every change/move over the last few years has been for the better.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

That took far too long, but at least it's a positive step. Better late than never, right?
0 x
Go Rhody!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Especially heading west back to Ct, you would lose the reception by the railroad station. Good move!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Pro Tip: Use the FREE iHeart Radio app to listen to the pre/post game shows while walking between the Ryan Center and your car!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jon RothsteinVerified account
‏@JonRothstein We are exactly four weeks from Midnight Madness and 10 weeks from opening night. College basketball --- right around the corner.

That would mean Oct. 3rd. I wonder if that's when ours is?
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Pro Tip: Use the FREE iHeart Radio app to listen to the pre/post game shows while walking between the Ryan Center and your car!

This is when you know you're a diehard fan. I do this pretty frequently on game day!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ram1019 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Pro Tip: Use the FREE iHeart Radio app to listen to the pre/post game shows while walking between the Ryan Center and your car!

This is when you know you're a diehard fan. I do this pretty frequently on game day!
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! You guys can listen to the radio while not in your cars????????????
Neato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(What happens if you want to talk with someone about the game when you leave the Ryan Center?)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Student-athlete BBQ hosted by the president-

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:
Ram1019 wrote:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! You guys can listen to the radio while not in your cars????????????
Neato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(What happens if you want to talk with someone about the game when you leave the Ryan Center?)
Maybe don't use the iheart radio app in that case?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Gee, Eddy Eddy never had a BBQ for the jocks.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rodfromcranston wrote:Gee, Eddy Eddy never had a BBQ for the jocks.
He was too busy removing all the toilet paper off his house.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Either Hare or Gil are not in that pic? Cant tell which one is in the back with the hat. Amazing that jean shorts made such a big comeback.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:Either Hare or Gil are not in that pic? Cant tell which one is in the back with the hat. Amazing that jean shorts made such a big comeback.
Hare's wearing a hat. Gil is behind Hassan. He's so awesomely weird. Or maybe in witness protection.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's because of John Cena.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think that's Hare in the hat,

Gil might be in the picture, could be him just over Hassan's shoulder (just see some forehead and hair)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep I think Gil is over Hassan's R shoulder. Can't see Hare.
0 x