Mike Aaman (URI Medical DQ, Wagner Transfer)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Mike Aaman medically disqualified, URI career is over.

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

KB: excellent post.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm a doctor- but not that kind; however, part of my job involves concussion recovery and school re-entry plans. The training you get to be in that position makes you very familiar with what happens to the brain and afterwards when someone suffers a concussion. It's scary stuff, and the outcomes of a person who suffers one random concussion (a fall, a car accident) is very different than the person who's had several and continues to put him or herself in the position to have more.

In the past, Aaman has talked more sensibly about his future after playing. It was one of the reasons he originally wanted to play for Hurley. He talked about having the connections to work in and around basketball when he was done playing, even if that ended after college, and thought Hurley could help with that. Dan's already given him that, with the blessing and resources of the school. He could stay in school, be around the team, help out in a different role. Of course it's not what Mike wants; it sucks for the decision to be done playing to be made for you. Emotionally, I completely understand his perspective, but emotions shouldn't always win out.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Reggie Lewis found a doctor who cleared him to play, so my guess is that Mike and some school will be able to do the same. Later, Dr Mudge was sued and settled. Any school that allowed Mike to play should expect a gross negligence suit if anything debilitating happens to him.

Mike no longer ties up one of URI's scholarships. The NCAA gives relief from that scholarship commitment when a player sustains a documented career ending injury. They also allow the school to pay for his subsequent education. The NCAA has an interest in how Mike might be exploited by a member school who might recruit him and would surely investigate. This is not to say that the doctors who diagnosed Mike's condition were right.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I am of the camp that Mike would not have gotten an overabundance of Playing time at URI even if he had not gotten the head injuries. Starting line up of Mathews, Hare, Terrell, Biruta and Martin is strong. Then Watson, Iffy and JR also battling for PT and starting line up opportunty....TJ, Garrett and Minnis pushing hard also. This is a much stronger team than when Mike originally signed. I like his hustle, desire and rebounding ability but Hurley is moving this program to be in the elite tip 2-3 of the strong A10 conference. I wish Mike the very best as he will always be a URI Ram. I think he will do very well if he lands in either the Northeast (LIU, Wagner) or in the MAAC (Niagara)

I know Doctors played a role in Mike not playing at URI.

The reality of what is happening now is this. Mike is playing a lot of Basketball this summer in tough New Jersey Summer League and he is playing well displaying solid scoring and rebounding skills.

Yesterday Mike visited LIU, tomorrow he has a visit lined up for Wagner and this weekend he is heading up to Niagara. By end of next week it is expected he will be committed to one of those 3 schools and maybe others are lurking in the wings as well. I am sure all of those schools know his medical and scholastic situation or certainly will know when they sign him.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ramster, with all due respect, do you even get what the
main issue is here?
It's not playing time, or ability. It's about being able to function in
later life.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Unfortunately - I think teamster has a point. If Ike was a 5 star nba prospect would he be on the team now? It's easy to take the high road when it is a guy near the back end of the bench.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That's a bit cynical, even for me, Mr. Conspiracy Theory.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

We're talking about a 20 year old player, who has had seven documented concussions, five of which came in two years of playing college basketball. A player whose last concussion was about as severe as one can be and that almost cost him half his eyesight. A player whose game is about being physical and banging. A player, the only one of three signed recruits, who Hurley brought with him to Rhode Island originally. This decision was made when they had much less depth on the team.

There's no need to come up with any grand conspiracies here.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I feel like some people just can't get a handle on how severe of a medical issue multiple concussions really are and continue to think of it as having your bell rung a bit. Ask Junior Seau's family, or Dave Duerson's or Ryan Freel's. There is no conspiracy. The best thing a person can do for someone in Mike's position is to stand up for what is right and save him from himself.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Concussions, especially MULTIPLE are serious business. I for one would not want to jeopardize my brain function. I am by no means a medical expert, nor would I want to use this forum to pretend that I am. I just look at the severity of what can happen. I believe after Junior Seau committed suicide, it was determined that he wanted his brain donated so medical experts could perform research. Depression is a very very serious matter, and does not get the same attention as physical illness does.

I know that South County Orthopedics (URI's ortho team) started up a concussion program recently.
http://scortho.com/south-county-orthope ... n-program/

I do know of athletes who have had multiple concussions who have been banned from their sport because of the amount of trauma their brain took. It's definitely not something to take lightly. Doctors simply will not clear you.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ramster, with all due respect, do you even get what the
main issue is here?
It's not playing time, or ability. It's about being able to function in
later life.
Rod, and all,

Yes, I understand the main issue here...........most all think that Mike should not play basketball because of the danger of concussions. That is very clear.

My point is that the decision to play is and should be up to Mike Aaman. The University of Rhode Island has said no. That is the University of Rhode Island's right. The majority, if not all, on this Board have said he should not play - that is their right. Apparently Doctors had said he should not play anymore based on comments from this Board but I obviously do not have any proof of that.

My other point is that it is up to the new school that Mike attends to accept him based on his scholastic ability/performance, his health, his athletic potential, etc. As with all sports that my kids have played, whether recreation league, HS Sports, or College, there will be plenty of forms to be completed to satisfy the lawyers. All the information will be provided to the school. The school's lawyers will review all the materials and Mike will sign all the required paperwork. Can Mike sue the school if his concussions cause him injury? I doubt it, but I am not a lawyer.

I don't think that Mike would have gotten much playing time on this current URI team, but that is only my opinion. Whether that played a role in is asking for his release or URI granting his release, or both, I don't know.

What I DO know is that Mike visited LIU on Monday of this week, will visit Wagner today and will visit Niagara on Saturday.

Mike finished playing in the Jersey shore summer basketball league with the following:
Mike Made 2nd Team All Star (4 All Star teams were selected)
2nd Team
F Mike Aaman Island Title
F Matt McMullen Seaview Jeep
C Darnell Wilks Stern’s Trailer
G Roy Mabrey Team Shore
G Keyron Sheard Stern’s Trailer

Mike averaged 24.7 points per game good for 8th in the League (over a 10 game season)
He led the league in rebounding with 16.8 rpg. The 2nd place rebounder was Darnell Wilkes who played for 4 years at Cincinnati who had 14.6 rpg.
http://www.jerseyshorebasketballleague. ... t-leaders/
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:Apparently Doctors had said he should not play anymore based on comments from this Board but I obviously do not have any proof of that.
People are not just speculating on this. The basketball program, the school, the coach, and the player himself (Aaman) have verified that he is not medically cleared by URI. He's a good player and has had basketball success, all of which is irrelevant to any conversation about his health.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ace, why bother?
You'd be better off trying to talk to your shoe.
Who cares about summer league second team all star rankings?
This is about life, not basketball, and NO, Ramster , you clearly do NOT get it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ace, why bother?
This is about life, not basketball, and NO, Ramster , you clearly do NOT get it.
Sure I get it,
You and all the other posters say Mike should not play. Simple.

I have not said whether he should or should not, simply that it is up to Mike. Just as I would want it to be my decision if it was my head with a concussion history.
I also disagree that the school can be sued if they let him play - also contrary to what you and all the others are saying.

What is there not to get in that?

Sorry if I don't agree with the group
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ace, why bother?
The point of showing the summer league info is to show that Mike is playing a lot of basketball this summer. The point of showing that he is visiting LIU, Wagner and Niagara this week is to show that he is seriously looking at schools and schools are looking at him.

The facts show he is pursuing playing in the future, and that he is playing well enough now to earn such interest.

Sure it is about life, Mike's life, and he is making the decisions on it - maybe he is reading this board but is choosing not to follow the board's advice. Or maybe he is talking to his shoe.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed, Rod. As soon as I saw the Jersey Shore League stats and accolades, I knew there's no chance of changing Ramster's mind.

In my opinion, any academic institution that takes Mike and gives him a basketball scholarship is doing so without Mike's long and short term interests in mind. They should be ashamed to even be discussing the possibility of him playing D1 basketball again.

Talk about Fool's Gold... that's the Jersey Summer League performance Ramster's all excited about.

What serious pro-basketball prospects did Mike have even before his medical disqualification? For URI to disqualify him AND keep him on full scholarship through the duration of his degree was the BEST possible outcome for him. He can get his degree for FREE, stick around the team, and potentially improve his prospects for a basketball-RELATED career (not as a player) utilizing the degree he is on pace to earn.

The point that Mike should be able to make this decision would ONLY be somewhat valid if he had a demonstrated track record of making GOOD DECISIONS. He has the opposite track record. Any assumption that he (with or without the "help" of his family) is able to make good decisions should in all fairness and respect be thrown out the window. He seems to be the kind of person who NEEDs (At least at this point in his life) these types of major decisions to be made by a team of experts and other adults who truly care about his future (doctors, coaches, etc) and can have a realistic view of what is in store for him after school.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

YOU disagree that a school can be sued for letting him play?
That's just ignorant, in the face of facts.
HELLOOOO!!!! The NCAA just spent 70 MILLION DOLLARS settling
on a class action suit regarding players playing WITH CONCUSSIONS!
Got that? Keep disagreeing with reality.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes, I disagree that a school can be sued by Mike if Mike signs an agreement prepared by the Schools Lawyers and by Mike's lawyers before he plays a practice or a game at that school. Of course that would note Mike giving up his right to file a lawsuit for any concussion related health issues from pre-existing conditions.

I am not a Lawyer, but I have signed many waivers in my life.
Anyway, bottom line, it looks like Mike will be playing for a school so it will be interesting to see how this progresses.

Sounds like from this Board that the school better have deep pockets if they recruit him to play for them. I just disagree that's all, no matter how stupid that makes me look to everyone on this Board.

Self Appointed Board Lawye....................but not an expert on Obamacare

Where's Milan when we need him?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm not a lawyer either, but from what I've seen, those waivers aren't necessarily concrete. People sue in spite of them. Mike and the schools recruiting him are playing a dangerous game.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:I'm not a lawyer either, but from what I've seen, those waivers aren't necessarily concrete. People sue in spite of them. Mike and the schools recruiting him are playing a dangerous game.
I'd like to hear from some lawyers...........do we have any on the Board? Milan? Beuller?

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Milan is a righteous dude......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I am in Ramsters camp on this one. If Mike has been given all the warnings and information it should be his right to choose to play.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

It is indeed his right to play, but a school that encourages him by offering a scholarship would be doing him a disservice, and would only be satisfying their own selfishness. In my opinion, encouraging him to play shows little regard for his future.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

If they are egging him into playing I agree with you, but I doubt that is the case here.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

What is a scholarship offer?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Rhody Guy wrote:I am in Ramsters camp on this one. If Mike has been given all the warnings and information it should be his right to choose to play.
How could he possibly make an informed decision????????
HIS BRAIN IS ALREADY ADDLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nobody can stop Mike from going down to the local court and getting a game in, but no coach should be providing Mike with the opportunity to do potentially severe and irreparable damage to himself. It is flat out irresponsible. Coach Hurley and the medical people at URI didn't "leave it up to Mike," they made a decision that they felt was best for him and didn't give him the option of putting himself in jeopardy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:
Rhody Guy wrote:I am in Ramsters camp on this one. If Mike has been given all the warnings and information it should be his right to choose to play.
How could he possibly make an informed decision????????
HIS BRAIN IS ALREADY ADDLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) Funny
But addled or not, to me it is Mike's right to decide if he plays or not if offered. Mike knows his situation, Doctor's have informed him, he has to weigh all of the information and make his own decision, and he will. If things don't go right then it should be on him, just as it is when he is playing in this very competitive summer league with current and former college players.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How do you know he's even capable of making clear
decisions with his damaged brain?
Do you even think or just post to be a contrarian?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:How do you know he's even capable of making clear
decisions with his damaged brain?
Do you even think or just post to be a contrarian?
No I don't post to be contrarian. Certainly has turned out to be the case though as 99% of posters think it is a travesty that he is still playing basketball.
How do you know he is not capable of making clear decisions?
My point is, and has been all along, that it is his right to make his own decisions - that is my point. If that is contrarian so be it. Just because everyone else thinks I am wrong does not make me a "on purpose" contrarian.
Are you saying he has brain damage? Is there proof of that?
I will not change my mind on this to go with the crowd no matter how much that pisses people off.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's Mike's choice. Right or wrong.

Obviously I think he's making the wrong choice, but it's still his to make.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:It's Mike's choice. Right or wrong.
People keep saying this. Playing basketball isn't a fundamental right. No coach should be giving him the opportunity to play for them. They wouldn't allow their sons to play in Mike's medical situation. It is irresponsible to leave it up to a teenager to make this kind of a decision.
0 x
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RIKen822 »

I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is negligence is not waiverable. Consequently, the school could be found at fault if he got hurt worse and it was found the school should have known better.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:It's Mike's choice. Right or wrong.
People keep saying this. Playing basketball isn't a fundamental right. No coach should be giving him the opportunity to play for them. They wouldn't allow their sons to play in Mike's medical situation. It is irresponsible to leave it up to a teenager to make this kind of a decision.
Actually there is only one or two people saying it, me being the leader (or contrarian :( -) the vast majority say what you say.

Simple disagreement among KeaneyBlue Board Members. Isn't the first and won't be the last.

And I do believe playing basketball is a fundamental, individual right - right up there with freedom of speech
No Coach is making Mike Play in the competitive JerseyShore Basketball League. Mike is making that decision. Have to blame Mike for that decision - unless you want to blame the JerseyShore Coach for it instead of Mike.

I don't know the results of the Head Scans, neiter does anyone on this Board that I know of. So I can't comment on the severity of the concussions because I do not know other than the number of them.

URI gave Mike Aaman and Mike Powell their releases this month when most of us thought they would continue their education with URI. Something changed.

Mike is old enough to vote, old enough to serve in the military but you say he is just a teenager and not capable of making this type of decision. Well he made the decision - just not the one you and 99% of the others here want him to make.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I wish he didn't want to put himself in jeopardy, but he apparently does. If I was a coach and Mike wanted to play in my program, I would tell him no even if he could help us. College coaches serve almost in a quasi-parental role for many players. As part of that, I think sometimes you have to put the kid first.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I wish he didn't want to put himself in jeopardy, but he apparently does. If I was a coach and Mike wanted to play in my program, I would tell him no even if he could help us. College coaches serve almost in a quasi-parental role for many players. As part of that, I think sometimes you have to put the kid first.
The question becomes where do you draw the line? 7 Concussions? 3 Concussions? 1 Severe concussion? 5 medium concussions and 2 small concussions? 9 small concussions? How do we even know how many concussions a kid had when he was under 10 years old? Does his mother have a record of those? Should she reveal those to the Colleges of his choice or to the NCAA Director of Concussions? of to the NCAA Concussion Lawyer to decide who plays and who doesn't?
Should the NCAA have a Doctor of Concussions who approves or disapproves players based on some concussion criteria?
I think to leave it up to the Coaches means 365 different Coaches making decisions on the level of Concussions - they will never ever have the same criteria or judgement even if they all meant well.
What happens with a borderline concussion kid? Some Coaches take him, some don't.

URI has apparently said no to Mike playing. But then again granted his release recently so who really knows the true story and it doesn't really matter anyway.

It is really a "grey matter" (just for your Bressler :D ) and I'll continue my stand that it is Mike's decision and he is making the decision to play basketball whether the KeaneyBlue majority or minority like it or not.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

If Mike's brain is so addled he cannot possible make decisions like this than accepting URI's offer to pay for the remainder of his college education is pissed down the drain. How could he possible handle college course work with an addled brain?
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

A true story....

A good friend and neighbor played football with me in H.S. We were at practice one day, and while carrying the ball, he was tackled, and when landing, his helmet contacted the ground. He was "knocked out" as we called it in the 60's. He came to in a minute but was staggering and obviously had a concussion by today's definition.
.....I knew this young man all through grammer school and high school. He was in many of my classes, and was a straight "A" student to that point. It was our junior year when the accident happened. Like his father he was hoping to be a lawyer. After the accident he struggled to be a "C" student. Sadly, he never realized his dreams.
.....If I knew Mike, I would talk to him about his decision to play.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody Guy wrote:If Mike's brain is so addled he cannot possible make decisions like this than accepting URI's offer to pay for the remainder of his college education is pissed down the drain. How could he possible handle college course work with an addled brain?
For once I don't own the most hyperbolic statements in a thread, but having such experience I'm going to say that comment was not 100% literal.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If Mike had Marfan Syndrome would any college let him play? How about a fused spine? Would they check his medical records and have an independent physician examine him? Would any physician clear him to play knowing that if he sustained another concussion which debilitated him that the physician would be sued?

Everyone would have Mike sign a detailed waiver of liability....and if he got hurt they would get sued anyway......probably not win the suit with a well-crafted release.....but that wouldn't stop the litigation....

If I were advising the at-risk parties I would recommend they not allow him to play.....I include Mike in the group of at-risk parties.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Completely agree with ramster on this one. If someone offers him a chance to play, it is Aaman's decision to accept or not. No matter how poor a decision other people (including myself) believe it to be. Aaman is a legal adult and should be treated as such. He is not a "kid" as many on this board classify him and the other adults playing college basketball. He's an adult, who, when presented with options (if a school/medical team is willing to accept the liability), can make his own decision. He has the right to be stupid.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URI_IEP wrote:Completely agree with ramster on this one. If someone offers him a chance to play, it is Aaman's decision to accept or not.
Of course. The point is nobody should offer him a chance to play because that is irresponsible.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Since when is playing basketball a God given right?
It's a privilege to be given a free pass to play for a school.
Any school who offers Aaman a scholarship, knowing his medical
history are whores of the worst order.
Those who know better are obliged to protect this kid from himself.
Saying otherwise is absurd.
Same kid who continued to get drunk and get the crap beat out of him
on a few occasions.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Agree to disagree? I don't like the idea of taking free will from someone when it only directly impacts themselves.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

TruePoint wrote:
URI_IEP wrote:Completely agree with ramster on this one. If someone offers him a chance to play, it is Aaman's decision to accept or not.
Of course. The point is nobody should offer him a chance to play because that is irresponsible.
That point shouldn't really debatable, but several posters seem to feel that if Aaman is offered the opportunity to play DI/II/III basketball his parents/advisors/prior coaches shouldn't allow him to accept because he's a "kid", has had too many concussions, makes poor decisions, etc. No matter what Aaman's mental capacity or practical maturity level are, he is an adult, and has the right to make his own choice.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Rhody Guy wrote:Agree to disagree? I don't like the idea of taking free will from someone when it only directly impacts themselves.
+1
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

rodfromcranston wrote:Since when is playing basketball a God given right?
It's a privilege to be given a free pass to play for a school.
Any school who offers Aaman a scholarship, knowing his medical
history are whores of the worst order.
Those who know better are obliged to protect this kid from himself.
Saying otherwise is absurd.
Same kid who continued to get drunk and get the crap beat out of him
on a few occasions.
So what are you advocating Rod? Everyone who has made stupid decisions get thrown in a padded room for their own protection?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It happens every day in this country.
People who are in hospitals without a living will, people in prisons,
people who are institutionalized, people with dementia, children,
military personnel, all having even the simplest of decisions being made for them.
All of which directly impacts them.
That's reality.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm usually much more libertarian about things like this, but I guess my perspective here isn't about letting someone do what they want, but about the coaches of programs that would consider taking Mike. If that decision were up to me, I'd tell him no and wish him the best. I wouldn't be able to get over the chance that he could destroy his life on my watch and that would be on my conscience forever. I wouldn't want that blood on my hands.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

rodfromcranston wrote:It happens every day in this country.
People who are in hospitals without a living will, people in prisons,
people who are institutionalized, people with dementia, children,
military personnel, all having even the simplest of decisions being made for them.
All of which directly impacts them.
That's reality.
Aaman doesn't fall into ANY of those categories... So what's the point? Should we make a new category for reckless people? I'd like to put some of the people that speed past me on the Newport Bridge in a special institution....
0 x