URI Basketball Fan Forum

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ram1019
ARD

Re: URI Basketball Fan Forum

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I agree, Jay. Improve it or eliminate it.

Side note: I used to know Brian Cardany and he is a great guy and does a fine job with the university's music program as a whole. I just think he has limited control over the pep band due to the lack of interest in getting students to commit. This is just like the attendance problem. The team needs to win games in order to attract more fans. Same goes to pep band members. More students will want to be part of the band if they are fans of the game and this team. Lets get more students to join the band and THEN we can discuss how to fix it and improve it.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Ram1019 wrote:I agree, Jay. Improve it or eliminate it.

Side note: I used to know Brian Cardany and he is a great guy and does a fine job with the university's music program as a whole. I just think he has limited control over the pep band due to the lack of interest in getting students to commit. This is just like the attendance problem. The team needs to win games in order to attract more fans. Same goes to pep band members. More students will want to be part of the band if they are fans of the game and this team. Lets get more students to join the band and THEN we can discuss how to fix it and improve it.
Good to know he is a great guy. I'm hoping if that's the case he will be willing to hear the feedback and make some changes to improve the pep band.

My main question is why can the football marching band be excellent and the pep band so weak? It's hard to imagine that it's a participation issue. Isn't it many of the same kids?
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

RoadyJay wrote:
Ram1019 wrote:I agree, Jay. Improve it or eliminate it.

Good to know he is a great guy. I'm hoping if that's the case he will be willing to hear the feedback and make some changes to improve the pep band.

My main question is why can the football marching band be excellent and the pep band so weak? It's hard to imagine that it's a participation issue. Isn't it many of the same kids?
The marching band in football spends the whole summer rehearsing and they play a big show at halftime, whereas, the pep band (for mens basketball) is just handed a set list of 4 songs that's been played for (I don't know well over a decade?). The pep band just isn't as exciting to be in as marching band.

If we could somehow get the marching band to play at the RC that would be amazing. Obviously winning is number 1 key to attendance, but I will guarantee that a full marching band with drumline would improve the experience for fans and students. It would also create more energy and intensity for the players.

Damn maybe I should've been part of the fan forum sessions lol
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Sad thing is that is the same band director
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I emailed Dr. Cardany this morning. I'm hoping he will respond...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Cardany,

My name is Jay XXXX and I am a URI grad (1998) and season ticket holder for both Football and Men's Basketball.

First, I must say that the Marching Band at URI is excellent and is no doubt a source of pride for the University. Under your leadership, they certainly enhance the atmosphere at the home football games. I know the Marching Band also participates in other events throughout the region and I'm sure they perform exceptionally at these events as well.

What is disappointing to me is that there exists such a gap in performance between the Marching Band and the Pep Band. Quite honestly, the Pep Band has become a source of embarrassment for the University. There are regularly just a handful of band members that attend the basketball home games and the same instruments and songs are played... every.. single.. game. I'm not sure there has been any new music introduced in the last decade.

Also, when you compare our Pep Band to other Pep Bands in the Atlantic 10 Conference, see VCU and George Mason, you will realize there really is no comparison. These are the type of band fans want. If you aren't familiar with the VCU and George Mason Pep Bands, please take a moment to see the following YouTube videos:

So I ask you, why can't we have this type of quality Pep Band? Why do we have such an exceptional Marching Band and an embarrassing Pep Band? When was the last time the entire crowd cheered the band at a URI Men's Basketball game as they do at VCU and George Mason?

You may be wondering about the timing of this email. Currently, there is a Fan Forum being conducted by the Athletic Department where they are obtaining fan feedback about their experience at Men's Basketball games at the Ryan Center. At the first session of the Fan Forum everyone who attended brought up how disappointing the URI Pep Band is.

I am also a member of an online message board called Keaney Blue (http://keaneyblue.com/). The message board is a place where die hard URI basketball fans discuss everything pertaining to the team. The message board has nearly 500 registered users (and many many more unregistered visitors). I can tell you that there are dozens of posts from numerous members expressing displeasure with the performance of the URI Pep Band.

I'm sure you realize that a strong Pep Band enhances the overall fan experience and adds to the overall entertainment value of the basketball games. This is something that many fans are demanding we have. We need your leadership to make this happen.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how we can improve the Pep Band to be something that we take pride in, as we do with the Marching Band.

Please feel free to reply to my email or call me directly (401) XXX-XXXX.

Thank you for listening and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Jay XXXX
Last edited by RoadyJay 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good email, Jay.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Nice letter, Jay.
I'll be curious if you get a real response or the usual H.L. Menken,
"Dear Sir or Madame, as the case may be. You may be right."
Last edited by rodfromcranston 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

To the point and articulate. Well done, Jay.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Great letter. Let us know how you make out. Next stop is the dean.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Nice email, Jay
0 x
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RIKen822 »

.... And most of the fill in high school bands sound better.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RIKen822 wrote:.... And most of the fill in high school bands sound better.....
If we can't get a better showing from our pep band, maybe rotating in local HS bands and giving them that showcase would be a viable alternative.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You think rotating HS band is a viable option??!! If you get to the NCAA which HS band gets to go. Remember the URI slogan Think Big.......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We could probably bring the marching band for that one. I hope we can get better participation from the student band, Obes, but I'd rather have a full HS band than a trombone, a tuba and drum. I'm for whatever will create the best atmosphere.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Great email, jay! I think at one point the band learned the "ohh, ohh, oh ohh oh ohh ohh" part of Seven Nation Army and was like.... Okay there is our contribution to the 2000's . No need for new songs now.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I just got back from the second fan forum. We spent a lot of time talking about food both in the private room (which is provided by the URI catering service) and the concessions, run by Global Spectrum. I'm not sure we'll see much of a change this year, but they did seem to be listening. One of the interesting discussions was about beer and wine. The big problem is that URI is a dry campus, so any change has to be gradual. They indicated that they are offering a "Rhody Pub" during concerts at the Ryan Center. They set aside an area where they server beer and wine, but it has to be drunk there; they can't bring the drinks back to the seat.

The lounge came up for a lot of discussion. The consensus seemed to be that setting aside the room to encourage higher donations is not working as well as it could be. Since I'm not a donor, I kind of zoned out, though it would be nice if season ticket holders had a place to gather before games and at halftime.

One interesting tidbit is that it appears URI is going to be on a radio station that can reach all of Rhode Island. The contract hasn't been signed, but the difficulties in picking up post-game comments will be a thing of the past.

I'm sure others who were there will fill in the missing pieces.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

I went to the Bob Dylan concert at the RC and beer and wine were being served at every concession stand and we brought them to our seats.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

URI_IEP wrote:I went to the Bob Dylan concert at the RC and beer and wine were being served at every concession stand and we brought them to our seats.
Interesting .... maybe I misheard. Hope someone else who was there jumps in to correct me. They certainly did show an openness to beer and wine but indicated they had to move carefully to make sure it was done right.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm going to post an overview at lunch, but one thing I wanted to post was about the scoreboard. It doesn't take up a whole lot more area on the wall, the difference comes from the whole area being a video board as opposed to having a lot of static ads taking up room and it certainly looks nice in person. One thing I was surprised about was how big of a difference the ribbon boards made in terms of brightness. In terms of information being relayed through the boards, they mentioned the biggest problem before was getting information from a 15 year old computer to a 10 year old video board. They'd make the change on the computer, upload it, get the loading pinwheel of doom for a while, then the information would finally show up. With a new computer and new board they said that shouldn't be an issue. They quoted a turnaround time of 1.2 seconds, though I'm not sure if that's literal or figurative. With the new video/ribbon boards they'll be able to relay a lot more information than points and rebounds. They'll be able to post field goal percentage, free throw percentage, hustle stats, things like that. They have meetings next week with Daktronics to go over all these processes.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They mentioned that they've had different rules and structures in place for different events. They said that to allow it's full sale and use everywhere in the building, especially for basketball games, is something that's being looked into but there's a lot of red tape and with liability issues you have to make sure all the details are covered.
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

URI_IEP wrote:I went to the Bob Dylan concert at the RC and beer and wine were being served at every concession stand and we brought them to our seats.
Same thing when I went to Justin Moore & Randy Houser last February, it was nice to be able to enjoy it at my seats.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I work in the insurance space so I understand the liability issues and how that can be tricky. I also get that they just can't flip a switch and and go from a dry to a wet campus.

Having said that, I believe they have already flipped the switch. Tailgating is allowed at football games and beer and wine are sold/served in the Alumni Lounge and Private Boxes at the Ryan Center. There are also other events on campus where beer and wine are served. I get that in these circumstances the drinking is contained to a controlled area.

But the 'switch being flipped' for me is based on the fact that they are allowing the sales at concerts. If they are already selling beer and wine at concerts, allowing you to bring it back to your seats, and allowing students to have access to the beer and wine, then how is that any different than allowing it at a basketball game?

Actually, my assumption would be that there is far greater liability with a concert than with a basketball game. Maybe there is an explanation, but I haven't heard one yet that makes much sense.

As far as the concerns with student access to the beer and wine... the sales can easily be controlled. Other schools provide bracelets to students who are 21 and also give them a card allowing them a maximum of 3 beers for the entire game.

This one frustrates me. Granted it's not the most dire of issues, but this should not be a huge hurdle to jump through, and I haven't heard a good reason why we can't/shouldn't. They've already opened themselves up to the liability by allowing beer and wine sales at concerts.

So again, why not at basketball games?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I believe why not basketball games yet is because they're not ready to just rip off the bandaid. All the i's need to be dotted and t's crossed. There's probably going to be a public relations backlash to going full bore. And one way to head off that pr backlash is to have all these smaller milestones to point to. "We brought back alcohol to tailgating and that was successful. We've had it in these certain situations at the Ryan Center and it was successful. Based on our track record we can take this next step of selling alcohol at games to the general population, not just in the suites and private areas and we can do it responsibly and successfully." This didn't come from the meeting last night, but my reading of the situation is there will be beer and wine sales in the next couple years. The potential revenue stream is too great and they keep passing all these milestones to get there.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There could be alcohol sales at some RC events because the promoters and/or acts are willing to provide the liability insurance and indemnify both Global Spectrum and the Ryan Center/URI. URI may not be ready to so for their own events.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Going back to the band, I've been going since the mid sixties at Keaney, way before canned music came into play. If you count the number of times the band plays versus canned music, i think canned music wins. We don't even get the fight song when the team comes on the court. Maybe more music students would join, if they knew they were playing more songs. I maybe wrong, but I think it's mostly canned music until after the game begins.n Cardanay should tell the powers at be that he wants more "playing" time.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So here are my takeaways from last night's meeting.

Student attendance/participation, concessions, and the band were all brought up again but frankly it doesn't seem like there was any new ground covered compared to the first meeting. They know there are issues with all three areas and they seem interested in improving all of those areas. They seemed especially open to hearing how to improve the student section, but they also have the most ability to influence that area with immediate changes. They were attentive to ideas about how to improve concessions and the band, with the caveat that those are areas they have to have a willing dance partner to make changes.

They hinted at changes to the coaches show this year, but weren't prepared to say exactly what they would be.

Several members brought up ideas on ways for the coaches and team to have more interactions with fans and that seemed to be something they were interested in doing more of. While the department members who were there seemed interested we'll see if that's an interest held by the team.

Scheduling was brought up, more geared toward game times than caliber of opponent. They talked about the challenges facing the department in that area. Brought up how they weren't particularly interested in PC being a Thursday night at 8 this past season, but so much of the schedule is dictated by television partners and travel concerns of the other team. Even if they were inclined to have a Saturday night game in a particular situation, if CBS Sports Network or whoever says we want it at 2, it's at 2. That said, I'm not sure Cox necessarily has or uses this kind of leverage much, it seems to be mostly a national or regional network situation.

One seemingly major departure from last meeting was the alumni lounge. Based on other peoples reports it felt like there was interest in opening up the lounge to more people. The donors who have access to the lounge that were there last night made it crystal clear they wanted more exclusivity, not less. They felt access should be restricted to an even higher donor level. Right now you have to donate at least $1000 to have access. One member suggested raising access to those that clear the $2500 threshold or adding a new level of giving at $1750 and making the cutoff there. Apparently there had been a move previously to raise the cutoff to $2500 for this coming season but the idea has been tabled.

On the boards after the last event there seemed to be a cynical reading of how things went. I'm not sure if those people were actually in attendance or if they were basing it on what was written by those that did go. I have to say I didn't get the feeling this was done to give an illusion that they cared, I felt they were interested in what was presented. They seemed particularly interested in ideas where they have direct, current control but even with ideas where they needed a willing partner to work with it felt like they were interested but would also give frank answers about where they're butting heads with people. One phrase that stuck with me was "we're preparing to win." It seems like they want to improve what they can as soon as possible for those that are already going, and also for those that aren't coming to games yet, so that way when they do show up they'll be exposed to a better product. But they also believe that there's only so much they can do now and that winning does have to come to make a lot of improvements happen. Winning, and the increased attendance that will come with it will solve some of these issues. Have a winning team, students will come. Have a winning team, people will be more interested in being in the pep band. Have a winning team, attendance in general will rise. Have a winning team with a full house, atmosphere will improve. Have a full house and concessions companies will be more interested in taking risks with the products they're offering and outside franchises will be more interested in the expense of having a location in the Ryan Center. If the building is half full 16 times a year there's a lot of potential waste when you offer new products and the return on investment isn't necessarily there for Center Plate to expand their offerings or outside firms to come in.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

One thing that really hit me last night that I already knew but probably didn't fully appreciate was just how opposed we are in terms of what we're looking for outside of wins. On here it seems like a vast majority of the people who weigh in on alcohol sales are in favor, yet I found last night a very even split between those in favor and those against. Those in favor on here believe the Ryan Center should be like most every other venue where you can just buy a couple beers, yet those against were saying that they didn't want the Ryan Center to turn into other venues such as the Dunk and they appreciated the lack of alcohol and what they perceived as a more family friendly environment due to it not being sold. For all of those that think the alumni lounge should be more open there are those that think it's already too open and it should be more exclusive. For all of those that like afternoon games on the weekend there are those that think there should be night games. Pick almost any issue and even in such small groups as these two focus meetings there are such varying opinions on how things should be done. It must be really hard to herd this fanbase.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam, good summary. I, too, believe the forums were genuine. There was some defensiveness, I thought, when they kept bringing up the restraints of being in a University environment, contracts, etc. In a way, I would've preferred that they kept their responses to a minimum, more like a true focus group, where interaction among the participants was encouraged rather than a back-and-forth between hosts and guests.

Good pizza. I wish they'd give the Parentes the pizza contract for the concessions.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I thought the two students and the faculty member who participated had some valuable things to say. I wish there'd been more of them.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Excellent Summary RhodyRam02.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I just don't see how selling alcohol will affect the family friendly environment. Is McCoy Stadium not a family friendly environment? I would love to have a beer during the game and not Powerade.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Comparing a Ryan Center in which beer would be sold to the Dunkin' Dump is valid, but only to a point. A lot of the Fryuh Faih-weathah Faithful, especially the Pee-C students, seem to do an awful lot of pre-gaming, which is understandable given all the bars in the area. Kingston doesn't have that problem.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That was something a person I believe from the athletic department said. Alcohol would only be sold for about 2 hours inside the venue (gates opening to halftime or so), so if a person is that intoxicated they're most likely coming into the venue drunk. In that situation chances are the person is going to be a problem and affect the family friendly environment whether you're selling the alcohol or not.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: For all of those that think the alumni lounge should be more open there are those that think it's already too open and it should be more exclusive.
This is pretty closed-minded by the "high" donors. Keeping the Alumni Lounge available to a certain donor level encourages more donors. I think the level of donation at this time is about right. And to counter this argument, if it will be exclusive, then a donor level of $25,000 or greater should suffice. This should make up for the loss of the lower donors. And encourage these "high" donors to give more. Make it "nice and exclusive". Are we trying to deter donors now from donating by eliminating a perk? For what, a chance to buy a $7 Bud Light? smh. We ain't Kentucky .......yet :D
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The Alumni Lounge seems really lame. They should pay me to go in there not vice versa. The donors can keep there lame exclusivity, I don't need it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That's the problem STC. Donors need to be inclusive of all donors in some manner to increase donations. There should be a big area for all donors of say $100 or more a year where they can buy drinks before games and during halftime. Leave the "Alumni Lounge" to high rollers. I bet many would pay $100 to be able to go to an area to get some drinks during games. And I'm sure it would be a helluva lot more fun than the Alumni Lounge!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

theblueram wrote:That's the problem STC. Donors need to be inclusive of all donors in some manner to increase donations. There should be a big area for all donors of say $100 or more a year where they can buy drinks before games and during halftime. Leave the "Alumni Lounge" to high rollers. I bet many would pay $100 to be able to go to an area to get some drinks during games. And I'm sure it would be a helluva lot more fun than the Alumni Lounge!
Great idea.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

theblueram wrote:That's the problem STC. Donors need to be inclusive of all donors in some manner to increase donations. There should be a big area for all donors of say $100 or more a year where they can buy drinks before games and during halftime. Leave the "Alumni Lounge" to high rollers. I bet many would pay $100 to be able to go to an area to get some drinks during games. And I'm sure it would be a helluva lot more fun than the Alumni Lounge!
This really is a great idea. I would definitely donate $100 for this in a heart beat and I would bet you get a good amount of other donors for this too.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ram1019 wrote:
This really is a great idea. I would definitely donate $100 for this in a heart beat and I would bet you get a good amount of other donors for this too.
I concur!

I donate, but definitely chump change compared to an earlier post mentioning "$2500"+ to get into the Alumni Lounge. In Rhode Island with the economy we have it is very RARE to have that kind of cash to donate if you are less than ten years after graduation.

"Family friendly" should not mean "alcohol free". I don't have kids yet, but if I did....I'd probably want to enjoy an adult bev during a game. :D
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If people are worried about the family atmosphere set up family sections where there is no alcohol allowed. Lots of stadiums do this. My experience is that these are the last tickets to sell in a game because really most people would like the option for a beer.

Also a family environment is created by the people attending. If this team is successful and more people start showing up and caring about the team some of the family friendliness will be lost regardless of beer. That is why things like the pep band are important to keep the crowd into the game
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I don't think designated beer drinking areas (lounge, beer garden, etc.) are good ways to improve the atmosphere, they may help revenues but only slightly. I don't even get it, sitting next to an adult enjoying a beer while watching a basketball game ruins the family friendly experience but having half the men run to a roped off area at halftime to try and get a beer to guzzle before running back to their seat keeps it G-Rated?
I have a news flash, some of the students that come to games are drunk and when more come, more will be drunk. 21 and over paying customers are not the boogeyman. The vast majority of the obnoxiousness, over-exuberance, foul language, and bad behavior will still come from the students, as it should.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

GansettSummer wrote:
Same thing when I went to Justin Moore & Randy Houser last February, it was nice to be able to enjoy it at my seats.
So it really doesn't make sense that for some reason basketball games are treated differently. Both concerts happened during the school year, and I know minors were in attendance.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I just remembered one comment that the faculty member (a woman) made. She had little interest in basketball until she had a couple of players in her class. They so impressed her, that she decided to take her kids to the games and is now a season ticket holder. She didn't name the players, but I thought that was a nice testament to type of players that Hurley is recruiting.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Did she say it was in the last few years?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

She didn't say, but I got the impression it was in the past couple of years.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In preparing for the second meeting I was ready to propose opening up the alumni lounge to all donors over $100 for at least a couple games based on what I heard from the first meeting. After seeing how passionate the donors were about more exclusivity and how in some cases that seemed to be their biggest concern at the meeting I realized proposing the idea would be a waste of time. I love your idea, and what I've been thinking is using Mackal and/or Keaney for this type of hospitality. I think it would work great pre and post game but I'm not sure how well it would work at halftime. Anybody who likes this idea, especially donors, should email Adam Schemm. I do know he seemed interested in receiving more ideas as we thought of them in the future.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

URI_IEP wrote:
GansettSummer wrote:
So it really doesn't make sense that for some reason basketball games are treated differently. Both concerts happened during the school year, and I know minors were in attendance.
I agree, it's actually a 100% hypocritical situation.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just wanted to post a reminder to all recent grads that are season ticket holders that if you donate at the Gold Society level, you get the benefits of those that donate $1,000. This means you gain access to the Alumni lounge (free snacks and cash bar) and park in Lot A. For those who graduated in the last three years it's $100 and for those who graduated 4 to 6 years ago it's $250. Would be nice to see a flood of new graduates in the Alumni Lounge, heh.
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

RoadyJay wrote: Actually, my assumption would be that there is far greater liability with a concert than with a basketball game. Maybe there is an explanation, but I haven't heard one yet that makes much sense.

They've already opened themselves up to the liability by allowing beer and wine sales at concerts.
I agree about the liability probably being much greater at a concert...but I'm wondering if the Ryan Center/Global Spectrum has more exposure than the school in those instances....as opposed to a basketball game, which is clearly a university event. I'm not looking to split hairs about what constitutes a "school event" or suggest that any of this is even a factor...just thinking out loud. Ultimately, my guess is that the RC being on URI's campus is probably enough for the school to end up in the liability crossfire if something catastrophic occurred at a concert that otherwise had nothing to do with the school.
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

RF1 wrote:There could be alcohol sales at some RC events because the promoters and/or acts are willing to provide the liability insurance and indemnify both Global Spectrum and the Ryan Center/URI. URI may not be ready to so for their own events.
Maybe I should have kept reading the thread before I posted...
0 x