Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Next Year

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Andrew wrote:Just got a call from someone in the RC offices, asking how my season ticket experience was last year, and if there's any improvements to be made. I told them that I enjoyed it, and that an improvement could be made in fan involvement, whether that's moving the mob (or at least organizing them), have certain sections do different things, etc. Just a heads up for last year's season tickets holders, you may get a call.

Should we have a poll to represent a more unified board in what improvements can be made? Seems the marketing/sales teams are gathering tons of data, which is good.
I volunteered to be on a focus group, which will be meeting in a couple of weeks.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Concessions could be better, especially for a State with such good food. Better video presentations and in-game content to inform and hype the crowd, connect the history of the program to modern day, recognize Rhody greats, etc. All of which is made easier with all of the tech improvements.

I wouldn't reco anything "contrived" as it comes to fan involvement. With wins and an active student body the experience will immediately improve.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think all season ticket holders got a call.
I said parking lot needs to be marked, so people can find their cars.
The landings on the stairways need to have industrial carpeting put on,
so it doesn't look like a parking garage.
Better food at concessions. More ATM machines.
Nothing major. I like the Ryan Center more and more, as the upgrades
take place.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Got a call and mentioned how most of my gripes from last year are being addressed with the new large video boards, LED ribbon, new sound engineer table & soundproofing, and band.

I also asked that after the game, they make Plains Rd between Flagg and the Ryan Center ONE WAY South ONLY, so that cars from the Plains Rd lot can go non-stop up Flagg Rd or take a left North on Plains Rd. With cars being allowed to go north on Plains from the Ryan Center, traffic from the main lot has to stop and that can make exiting the lot take over an hour such as during the PC game.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody74 wrote:I volunteered to be on a focus group, which will be meeting in a couple of weeks.
I volunteered as well, maybe I'll see you or others from the board there.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Ramulous »

Dunkin Donuts coffee

Pulled pork sandwiches from Wes' Rib House

Hot weiners from Olneyville
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I like it Ramulous.....maybe some Clam Chowder from Iggy's???
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Those little suggestions by Ramulous make a huge difference with creating a unique environment at the RC. Big change is a lot of little stuff that adds up. I know concessions are probably tied into some corp relationship between Global Spectrum and some other huge arena food provider, but localizing it is definitely the trend in Arena management so hopefully they can figure it out.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I will be at the second Fan Forum meeting in early August. Couldn't make the first one.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:I will be at the second Fan Forum meeting in early August. Couldn't make the first one.
The August 12th one? That's the one I'll be at.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I think all season ticket holders got a call.
I said parking lot needs to be marked, so people can find their cars.
The landings on the stairways need to have industrial carpeting put on,
so it doesn't look like a parking garage.
Better food at concessions. More ATM machines.
Nothing major. I like the Ryan Center more and more, as the upgrades
take place.
excellent point on the parking.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:Those little suggestions by Ramulous make a huge difference with creating a unique environment at the RC. Big change is a lot of little stuff that adds up. I know concessions are probably tied into some corp relationship between Global Spectrum and some other huge arena food provider, but localizing it is definitely the trend in Arena management so hopefully they can figure it out.
As bad as the food is, the service is just as bad. It seems to me that they're students with no supervisor. I've seen many people get frustrated with the service. It takes forever to get anything.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote:
Andrew wrote:Just got a call from someone in the RC offices, asking how my season ticket experience was last year, and if there's any improvements to be made. I told them that I enjoyed it, and that an improvement could be made in fan involvement, whether that's moving the mob (or at least organizing them), have certain sections do different things, etc. Just a heads up for last year's season tickets holders, you may get a call.

Should we have a poll to represent a more unified board in what improvements can be made? Seems the marketing/sales teams are gathering tons of data, which is good.
I volunteered to be on a focus group, which will be meeting in a couple of weeks.
74: I'd be grateful if you could mention the pep band. You only have to go to a PC game at the Dunk to see the possibilities.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

My suggestion on food improvement is to take the food truck craze and adapt it to the Ryan Center by awarding contracts to a select group of them to man the concession stands. They already have the trucks to transport food and workers to Ryan and they can finish off the food in the Ryan Center facilities.This way you can get name recognition, diversity of food offerings and top quality.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:I will be at the second Fan Forum meeting in early August. Couldn't make the first one.
The August 12th one? That's the one I'll be at.
That's three of us, then. I'll be there too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I will be attending one of the focus groups as well...
0 x
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RIKen822 »

They need to do a much better job of snow removal especially in the lot to the north-east of the RC

Food is inedible

Bring back the soft serve ice cream machine

Give the students better seats. It's their team and building.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I'm told I have trouble focusing......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

got selected for the august 6th focus group from 6pm-8pm, will anyone else here be at that one?
0 x
rhodyRams08
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyRams08 »

Nope I did not get selected.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Traveling too much right now so I didn't enter. Can someone just say the food really sucks? I haven't bought crap in two years. I bring in International, Kingston, Subway etc.etc. It would be nice to be able to buy a good sausage sangwich once in awhile. Oh, and beer too please!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

I give the school credit for asking season-tickets holders their opinions, it shows they somewhat give a shit about what we think.

I think the whining about the food at the Ryan Center is a little much, folks. It's a college basketball game, not a culinary competition. You get a fountain soda, some popcorn and a hot dog. There are 100 great places to eat within 10 minutes of the Ryan Center, if you don't like the food, hit the Mews before or after the game.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I disagree with you Gonzo on the food selection.....it is part of the experience for me and sometimes I have to cut it close from work to the game and don't have the extra hour to hit a local establishment....just me.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Have you ever gone to a Red Sox game and gotten a shitty sausage sangwich? I haven't. Bring the Boston boys down to serve some serious food! Food matters. Maybe we need that guy who does Hells Kitchen to come to the RC. I'm guessing it wouldn't be pretty.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Do they serve sausages at the Ryan Center? And if so, are they any good?

Also, I'm not sure if you can compare the food at a Red Sox game (35,000 fans, half of whom are drinking $10.00 bud light drafts) to the Ryan Center (4,000 people a night for the past 6-8 years) with no booze. Aramark probably breaks even on food, and makes their margins on the booze.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

URIGONZO wrote:Do they serve sausages at the Ryan Center? And if so, are they any good?

Also, I'm not sure if you can compare the food at a Red Sox game (35,000 fans, half of whom are drinking $10.00 bud light drafts) to the Ryan Center (4,000 people a night for the past 6-8 years) with no booze. Aramark probably breaks even on food, and makes their margins on the booze.
Gonzo, yes they serve sausage sangs at the RC. And they are bad. And why should I pay 8 bucks for a shitty sausage sang because we "only" have 4 to 6 k fans. My point is either serve good food or serve nothing. And I don't know the guy named Aramak but his cooking sucks.
0 x
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RIKen822 »

Other than the soft serve ice cream that they sold intermittently and stopped altogether two years ago, I have not had anything edible at the RC.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I can make a profit on 500 sausage sangs a game. Maybe I'll set up a grill outside this year. Who wants?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

"Nine of those 13 games were sellouts, meaning all 7,000 seats were filled, and while this was the first season that SMU was selling alcohol at games, those sellouts were more likely the result of the team actually being good than the fact that a booster would be able to sip on an overpriced light beer while watching the game.
In order for students to drink, they needed a wrist-band saying they were over 21. Only three drinks were allowed to be sold per to each of-age student, with tabs given out as the students entered the arena.
More schools are beginning to use booze as a way to generate more revenue at their athletic events, and while not all of that money goes back to the university — Aramark and other vendors will get their cut, too — but this is possibly a way to bring in money to pay for things like full-cost of attendance scholarships or even a stipend for the athletes."

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... all-games/
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Pizza has the biggest margin of profit.
I can get four lbs. of dough for $2.25, which will make
four pizzas.
Figure $2.50 in cheese, a bag of pepperoni slices costs $3.00, and is good for
a lot more than four pizzas. I can make enough red gravy from a can of ground crushed tomatoes for
$1.50 and about eight pizzas, because you really don't use that much on a pizza or it'll be soggy.
And that's retail. So, four pizzas sold by the slice, equals how much?
It cost a little over a couple of dollars for me to make a whole pizza, far less for a
pizza outlet.
Obscene profits. That's why there are three million pizza joints in RI.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So with the schools' association with The Pizza Gourmet why can't we get them in the Ryan Center? I really enjoyed their pizza at the year-end reception at The Towers.

I would hope that we now have better control over the vendors in the Ryan Center than in years past.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm thinking Caprio and Palumbo might be the root cause of the bad food at the RC. Better check those contracts. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I hope some of those attending the focus groups at least broach the subject of beer. Want young alumni at the games? Sell beer. Done.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'll be attending and will certainly give my opinion on how selling beer will not only generate huge profits but will boost attendance by a significant margin
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Nothing wrong with beer at the RC. I'm all for it. Improvements with the food and the band are my wish list.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Tom - tell them to get rid of those press seats and out fans in the lower bowl in that section

My goodness . Why is this so hard to understand uri ?!!?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Beer…….Ummmmmmmm.
I love being carded.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

bressler3south wrote:Beer…….Ummmmmmmm.
I love being carded.
The one I keep getting asked for is my AARP card. lol
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think statistics have shown that beer does not have much of an effect on overall attendance, but that winning drives it.

Where it does help is that beer, wine, and spirits have a tremendous profit margin. Think of a keg. Roughly 160 beers. Can purchase for around $100. If you charge $8 per beer (relatively average for concessions), that's $1,680 in revenue, roughly $1500 in profit from 1 keg. How many beers get sold during a game? If you have 5,000, is 1,000 beers fair? Probably even low? With 1,000 beers sold, that is roughly 8,000 profit just on beer. Multiply that number by 16 home games, and even using that low estimate, that is over $125,000 profit.

It's just an additional revenue stream for the program.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

SMU made 350K in 13 games games last season, while averaging a little less than 7000 in the stands (arena only holds a little above 7K)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Beer at the RC is a great idea. Think of how much the SKPD can generate in DUI fines, lawyers would be in demand even in RI and insurance companies can up their premiums. URI will become an even greater economic incubator.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, because nobody is capable of ever having a couple of beers without later driving drunk and/or getting arrested. Come on now.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhody72 wrote:Beer at the RC is a great idea. Think of how much the SKPD can generate in DUI fines, lawyers would be in demand even in RI and insurance companies can up their premiums. URI will become an even greater economic incubator.
Who was the old guy on the Projo board that was totally against alcohol at the Ryan Center? Was he really 72?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 wrote:Beer at the RC is a great idea. Think of how much the SKPD can generate in DUI fines, lawyers would be in demand even in RI and insurance companies can up their premiums. URI will become an even greater economic incubator.
That is why the Red Sox and Patriots have stopped selling beer. Too much liability.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I have no problem with the selling of beer at the RC, however at Red Sox and Pats games you have to take out a loan before you buy it, the prices have gotten out of control.

Six bucks a beer is fine, but 8-9 or more is ridiculous. That's what they are now.

I don't begrudge the right to make a profit, however how much is too much? They've reached that point.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Interestingly, I think your point and R72's points are related. While increased price means better margins for the vendor, it also discourages excessive drinking. I'm all about cheap beer, personally, but charging $8 instead of $6 isn't something I'm going to get worked up about.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Business 101, if customers are still buying regularly you have not exceeded the maximum acceptable price point that the market will bear. I don't like it, but if it is too expensive don't buy it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote:Who was the old guy on the Projo board that was totally against alcohol at the Ryan Center? Was he really 72?
It wasn't 72, but I can't remember the guys name either. He was also completely against alcohol at tailgating.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

The guy from EP. Can't recall his name. Was always in a pissing contest with someone.
0 x