2014-15 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reckless jake
ARD

Re: 2014-15 Schedule

Unread post by reckless jake »

It's a beautiful day here in southern RI today, a great day for Leroy Butts and his Mom to take in those 'nearby sights'. Seriously, it's an amazing day to have recruits on campus.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:If you are going to break my chops and highlight "neighboring"; you should probably know South County geography better. Newport neighbors Kingston? That may be news to Jamestown, Portsmouth, Saunderstown, Middletown and Little Compton.

Also, if you call someone else's town a dump, it probably speaks volumes that you defend yours with pictures from area towns and none of your own campus,
neigh·bor·ing
ˈnābəriNG/
adjective
adjective: neighbouring; adjective: neighboring

next to or very near another place;
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Any well informed and knowledgeable person knows that URI is located in the Town of South Kingstown. Given its English heritage, all Rhode Island towns are comprised of many villages which why this small state with 38 towns and cities has over 300 place names. South Kingstown is the legal entity and it is comprised of ten villages - Wakefield, Perryville, Kingston, West Kingston, Peace Dale, Tuckertown, Snug Harbor, Green Hill, Matunuck, and East Matunuck. So for anyone to state that the City of Lincoln should be compared to only the URI campus and not the rest of South Kingstown speaks volumes about ignorance, pettiness, and downright jealousy. But then what can you expect from a person of low class - generosity of spirit???
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What a ridiculous reaction to my photos. I indicated nearby scenes. They are in fact all fairly close by. Including Newport even makes sense as many teams visiting URI stay there.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

In order to make a certain someone happy. Photos of South Kingstown:

Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

And, we got Leroy Butts!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

scine20 wrote:Really? I thought Lincoln was nice when I was there. Certainly nicer than Springfield & Worcester.
Maybe you're confusing it with Omaha which I thought was quite nice. Lincoln did nothing for me.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We should always be engaging and respectful of fans from opposing teams like Husker who visit this message board because they bring different perspectives and new information. Of course, the one exception I make to that caveat applies to sean and PC in general because over decades they have clearly demonstrated they are petty, arrogant and ignorant of all competition.

So in the spirit of my caveat, welcome Husker, return to this board at any time to tell us about the NU basketball team, especially the power players like Petteway and Shields.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Sean, don't play the victim. You started this. You poke at hornets' nests with a stick and expect not to be stung. It's tiresome.

'To be fair, none of those pictures are in Kingston.'

Remember that? It was never stated those locations were in Kingston, but you ignored that. You deliberately tried -- as you have before -- to troll this board. You never are quite able to just stay in your lane and keep driving. That's the objection of most posters here.

Add in the fact that you're a PC fan on a rival message board, and yes, people are going to call for your head. To act surprised by that is just the height of ignorance. To run and hide behind the rules or beg for ATP or TruePoint to take action or regulate a dispute that you provoked is just weak sauce. Own the fact that you tried to rile some of the folks here -- embrace it even -- and they might have more respect for you. But to engage in such disingenuous conduct and then sidestep when fire is returned speaks to the root of our discontent with you.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

3wiseman ... +1
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

So in addition to defending the virtue of providence college and their vast superiority.....it is now part of sean's quixotic mission to defend other areas of the United States in comparison to Southern Rhode Island....is this right?

.....and you cannot understand why you are met with almost universal derision by the members of this forum?

Just state that you are here to denigrate anything about Rhode Island because it makes you feel virtuous and superior in your "providence-ness"....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Moderators, this is an important thread that's been hijacked by bickering between the Unnamed PC fan Whose Wine Sucks and our regulars. Can we split this off so those of us who check it for news about next year's schedule don't have to read through the shit?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody74 wrote:Moderators, this is an important thread that's been hijacked by bickering between the Unnamed PC fan Whose Wine Sucks and our regulars. Can we split this off so those of us who check it for news about next year's schedule don't have to read through the shit?
I won't be splitting the thread -- we don't need this elsewhere on the site. I have been deleting posts this morning and will delete any future post unrelated to the specifics of URI's schedule this upcoming season.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I have it on very good authority that we will be back at Cameron Indoor in 2016. Not for this year obviously, but more upward signs.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:I have it on very good authority that we will be back at Cameron Indoor in 2016. Not for this year obviously, but more upward signs.

And the return game is when ??? Haha
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

How many times will we see the Jimmy Baron shooting performance highlights during and leading up to that game/broadcast. That was so much fun to watch.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Is that Duke game a buy game in 2016?
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Makes sense if it is a buy game. I like our chances that this could be a national TV game.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

When does duke not play a game on national tv? Never?
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Blue Man wrote:I have it on very good authority that we will be back at Cameron Indoor in 2016. Not for this year obviously, but more upward signs.
I'd 100% be at that game
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Is my math right? 2016 = EC and Hass senior year (assuming no early jump the pros).
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I think so, yeah.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Maybe Duke should be doing the math!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

So last time I heard, we has three games left to lock in, any rumors on who potentially these last handful of games could be against?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:So last time I heard, we has three games left to lock in, any rumors on who potentially these last handful of games could be against?
From a review of the schedule listed above, three unknown games seem right as URI can play up to 30 games if it participates in a three game exempt tourney as it will this season. I have seen no new rumors on these and not seen where any other opponent has listed URI on their schedule. I would think Rhody would want 1-2 more home games to balance things out. This might be especially important this season given none of the neutral court tournament games are going to likely be easy.

OOC (12):
Home (4)
11/20/2014 Detroit
UMass-Lowell
11/22/2014 Nebraska
12/31/2014 Brown

Away (2)
12/10/2014 Providence
Southern Miss

Neutral (3)
11/27/2014 Orlando Classic Tourney Game 1
11/28/2014 Orlando Classic Tourney Game 2
11/30/2014 Orlando Classic Tourney Game 3

A-10 (18):
Home (9)
Davidson
George Washington
St. Bonaventure
VCU
Fordham
La Salle
Massachusetts
St. Joseph's
St. Louis

Away (9)
Dayton
Duquense
George Mason
Richmond
Fordham
La Salle
Massachusetts
St. Joseph's
St. Louis

2014 Orlando Classic Team Participants:
Georgia Tech
Kansas
Marquette
Michigan State
Rhode Island
Rider
Santa Clara
Tennessee
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

According to their athletic site, the University of Detroit Titans will be in Kingston on Saturday December 20th.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote:According to their athletic site, the University of Detroit Titans will be in Kingston on Saturday December 20th.
Correct Neil,
Here is their OOC Schedule. They recently had a July Luncheon and unveiled the OCC Schedule to date,
http://www.detroittitans.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... te-hornets

Delaware State

Hire: Keith Walker -- He became the interim coach during last season when the team was 4-15 and 0-6 in the MEAC. After he took over, the Hornets were 5-6 overall and 5-5 in league play. Walker has been on the staff since 2000, which includes a three-year run from 2004 to 2007 in which the program won regular-season titles.
Grade: B
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BFC wrote:

One of the crappy buy game home opponents is now known.

7-21 last year with an RPI of 329 (out of 349 teams).
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

This game certainly will not help our cause when we look back in March and hope to get into the NCAAs.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Never a good idea to schedule teams with RPI's over 300. Last year URI scheduled three such schools - NC A&T, UNH, and Maine
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

every schedule in the country has a few cupcakes, calm down people...
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Everyone seems calm to me...All I'm saying is when it gets to be be March and the committee is asking "Who did URI beat this season?" No one is going to jump up and say: "Wow they beat Detroit?!! UMass Lowell?!! and to top it off they beat Delaware State?!!"
Toss Brown, Fordham (2X), Davidson, George Mason...How many cupcakes do you want? Its no wonder this country has an obesity problem...and imagine if we actually lose to them?

Nothing good can come from these games barring an absolute blow out. So if your not concerned a wee bit with the schedule then Im calling you a Jim Baron lackey.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ever look at Syracuse's Carrier Dome pre season schedule?
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

So are you telling me that we are considered to be in the same league and echelon as UConn? Because the last time I checked we weren't. And to respond to your comparison between URI and UConn...we are not the same.

This is not about one game. Its about 15 seasons without going to the NCAA tournament. Jim Baron won 20 games for 3 seasons in a row. Why didn't we get a ticket to the dance? Do you know why???

Because!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE DIDN'T PLAY ANYONE GOOD!!! No one cares if you beat Monmouth! lol

PC Was barely a .500 team in the old Big East and yet they were somehow considered for the Tourney...Because they beat Syracuse UConn and Georgetown!!! This isn't rocket science and its absolutely not about one game.

Its about one concept. Now try to grasp this because I think as a University we are getting closer.

Here it is, ready: On one hand you have a mindset that strives for greatness...on the other hand you have one that settles for mediocrity.

Jim Baron could not beat a single top 25 team even with his 3 balling "superstar" son on the squad. You have to beat these teams or you are wasting your time! Like PC in the old Big East, you need more opportunities to win against these programs. Is that really so hard to grasp? Since we do not have 8+ top 25 teams like the old big east did....we need to play them in the non-conference schedule as much as possible. It's got to be said.

To clarify...I am not even saying that we are on PC's level. Because we just have not proven it yet.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Wo WO....where did the "3 wisemen" go? guess he withdrew his statement...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ok, then.

Anyway, the Orlando Classic bracket for 2013 was announced last July, so they should be releasing that soon.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Thanks for the transition...I guess.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Uconn? At least it's a college basketball program.
Last night, we were compared to the Chicago Blackhawks NHL team.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ram Stampede!!! wrote:This is not about one game. Its about 15 seasons without going to the NCAA tournament. Jim Baron won 20 games for 3 seasons in a row. Why didn't we get a ticket to the dance? Do you know why???

Because!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE DIDN'T PLAY ANYONE GOOD!!! No one cares if you beat Monmouth! lol

PC Was barely a .500 team in the old Big East and yet they were somehow considered for the Tourney...Because they beat Syracuse UConn and Georgetown!!! This isn't rocket science and its absolutely not about one game.

Its about one concept. Now try to grasp this because I think as a University we are getting closer.

Here it is, ready: On one hand you have a mindset that strives for greatness...on the other hand you have one that settles for mediocrity.

Jim Baron could not beat a single top 25 team even with his 3 balling "superstar" son on the squad. You have to beat these teams or you are wasting your time! Like PC in the old Big East, you need more opportunities to win against these programs. Is that really so hard to grasp? Since we do not have 8+ top 25 teams like the old big east did....we need to play them in the non-conference schedule as much as possible. It's got to be said.
I know why we didn't make the tournament under Baron, but apparently you don't. The problem wasn't the non-conference schedule, there were a few times after the non-conference schedule and into the conference schedule that we were projected to make the field. We didn't make the tournament under Baron because he couldn't get the job done in the A-10. If his teams had gotten the job done in the A-10, especially against some of the weaker teams, we would have made two or three tournaments under Baron.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I agree with RS - the Nebraska game is good, and the OS Classic is a great opportunity - but that will only pay off if we win our first round game and get a shot against Kansas or MSU.

We don't have the opportunities like a Syracuse does in conference. We'll be lucky to play 2 ranked teams this year in conference.

We need our OOC SOS to be high, that and we're a young team that could still have an off night and lose to a crap team.

All of that being said, we're not going to be an at-large consideration this year. The only way we go is by winning the A10 tourney. To prepare for that we'll need to play better teams than Delaware St, UML, Brown, and Detroit. I understand we can't get all stud teams on the schedule - but only having one team with NCAA potential, a tournament with a chance to play good teams, and a rivalry game against a top 100 opponent isn't really going to light the world on fire.

That and the obvious that those crap games aren't going to bring in the fans.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No stud team will come play us at the RC, or even Mohegan, until we have more success. So if you think we should go on the road and play numerous top tier BCS schools then we differ in opinion.

As someone pointed out, we didnt miss the NCAAs with Baron b/c of our OOC schedule, we fell short because we had 7-10 game collapses in conference play to close each promising season.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Dan warned in the Spring that scheduling is very difficult. It's even more difficult to get multiple quality home games when the team is seen as one on the rise but not quite there yet.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jim Baron lackey? Nice try Stampede....no just a fan with a lot more insight and information into how scheduling is done than you are. You are naive to how hard it is to schedule for URI.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

[quote=As someone pointed out, we didnt miss the NCAAs with Baron b/c of our OOC schedule, we fell short because we had 7-10 game collapses in conference play to close each promising season.[/quote]

That was only one of the 3 seasons...either way, there were NO quality wins with enough weight to tip the scale or even make a streak of an argument. So if you think the schedule had nothing to do with it then you need to start paying attention to RPI, and strength of schedule rankings.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote:Jim Baron lackey? Nice try Stampede....no just a fan with a lot more insight and information into how scheduling is done than you are. You are naive to how hard it is to schedule for URI.
I never said it was not difficult. Has this whole process not been difficult???? Don't get upset, this is reality. This is one of the SAME ISSUES with people like you that wont pull your head out to see. It's as clear as day...If you play pansies, THEN YOUR A PANSY! If you lose to a pansy...then your dirt.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

our RPI tanked when we lost 7 games in a row to middle to lower level teams IN OUR CONFERENCE. going into conference play in all 3 of those potential NCAA seasons we were positioned for a tourney berth if we took care of business in the A10. the quality wins go by the wayside when you get swept by UMass, lose to St Bona, get waxed by Richmond etc etc.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

People like you? What type of people would that be Stampede, informed ones? Yes, guilty as charged. Your rant can continue, no one is upset over here.
0 x