New Men's Basketball YouTube Channel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

New Men's Basketball YouTube Channel

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm putting this here to remind myself to check this out tomorrow. I guess it'll be OK if anybody else want to see it too...

Rhody MBB @RhodyMBB · 7h
Don’t miss the launch of the new Rhode Island Men’s Basketball YouTube page tomorrow. Check back here for the link at tomorrow at 10 am.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: Youtube

Unread post by bressler3south »

Thanks for the heads up!
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

New YouTube Channel

Unread post by sf2010 »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: New YouTube Channel

Unread post by Rhody74 »

There's a mix-tape of EC's first year there now:

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: New Men's Basketball YouTube Channel

Unread post by adam914 »

Man all those passes to Hassan...drool.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Great video of EC. I love this kid.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Wow...I know these highlight videos typically make players look better than they are, but sometimes I forget how good EC really is.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'll never get tired of watching those drives to the basket.

I know Rothstein is high on almost everybody, but this is still nice to read-

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good musical selection, also.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Awesome clip. I can't wait until they post more videos. Ya!
0 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

@RhodyMBB: Mixtape Wednesday: next up on the Rhode Island MBB YouTube page is Hassan Martin:

Check it out!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Is it November yet?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

this is great....what a talent, i think he has the most upside potential on the team incl EC and JT. sky is the limit.

i am sure he will add a consistent 12-15 footer to his game, he already showed that ability albeit with limited opportunities. he has impeccable timing on his shot blocking and the ability to stay straight up and avoid fouling, a rare skill. cannot wait to see this kid develop, and actually have a play ran for him. would hope we add some lob plays for him, not many in our league can climb the ladder like Hassy.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Great stuff, and great job by the person doing these videos. I'm looking at Hassan's outside shot here. He could potentially be a very good outside shooter, nice rotation and a beautiful arc on the ball. When he adds that and a pump fake and one dribble explosion to the basket from 12-15 feet, watch out.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

My understanding is these are put together by the Assistant DBO, Steve Enright. Good stuff!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wow these videos are dangerous
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I thought Enright went with Bobby?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Ben Wood went with Bobby.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ben Wood went with Bobby.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

But where is Ben Wood?

Anyway, great highlights from Hassan. Is that Jarvis behind the bench in that last clip?

I could watch Martin dunk all day long. What impresses me most about him is his development through the year. He got minutes because of the roster situation, but he grasped that opportunity and ran with it. He looked so lost in the beginning of the season- even when plays were run for him, he wasn't quite in the right spot, and you could see his frustration. He just soaked up everything the coaching staff threw at him and responded in game play. Martin came out of nowhere for that all-rookie team honor- he wasn't on anyone's radar for that before the season- and I'm thrilled for him that he got it.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

EC's shot is just so silky smooth. I can't wait to see Hassan and Watson play on the court at the same time. If Hare, Watson, Hassan and TJ are on the court at the same time, I'm officially naming that URI's "BEAST MODE".
I can see it now…. the deep angry voice from mortal combat creeping into the back of my mind..."FINISH THEM!!!"…towards the end of games.
Oh wait, that's just Hurley (haha).
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

How does 200lb. Hare go with those muscle guys?
Gil is stronger than Hare. Iffy is built as well or better than anyone on the team.
Minnis is built like a tank.
I'll give you the other three, though.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think he is talking in terms of defensive potential, not size. I don't see that line up giving up many points.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RoadyJay wrote:My understanding is these are put together by the Assistant DBO, Steve Enright. Good stuff!

He's doing a great job, especially with the music selection so far!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Rhody Guy wrote:I think he is talking in terms of defensive potential, not size. I don't see that line up giving up many points.
Exactly. Tough, aggressive, defensive domination. Shot block city. They'd squash opposing players and their shots…granted Hare will need some more weight, but being a very athletic, 6' 10" shot blocker can be pretty imposing. Guys that are tall and can move all over the floor can make the opposition feel like they're being suffocated (as opposed to a tall guy that sits in one spot like a statue with limited mobility). Height + Reach + Athleticism = A whole world of hurt.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hare isn't tough. Period.
He also gives up tons of easy baskets by trying to block every shot,
going for fakes and jumping, instead of holding his ground, while his man
gets by him for an easy basket.
There's more to defense than blocking shots.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's pretty simple, really. If JH is a defensive liability [other than blocking shots] he sits.

If he gets better at those things, he plays. I'm willing to see how much he progresses over time this season, before I pass judgement on him.

I still think he's going to be a force by his junior year [2015-16 season]. The potential is there.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

but Rod you are making judgments based on how he played as a FR two years ago....is it fair to assume FR become SO and with that comes improved court awareness and comfort with the speed and size in Div 1 basketball. Learning curve for Centers is huge, the list of FR bigs who looked lost in their first year and were pros by the time they graduated is a very long list....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Absolutely in normal circunstances.
However, you have almost a full year away from the
game and practices.
You saw how long it took the transfers to find their game.
They practiced with the team for an entire year.
As Dan said the other night, it all depends on Hare's dedication
to putting in the work needed.
Time will tell. Meanwhile, I think from reading this board, expectations on
Hare are very unrealistic at this point, given those circumstances..
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I 100% agree with you that it will take him a while to get back to a place where he can even reach his full potential. He had physical, mental and fundamental development that was needed after his FR year, he just lost a year improving in all of those areas....so I agree expectations need to be tempered it will likely take half a season or more for him to get back up to speed, and that assumes he is bringing it from Day 1 in terms of hard work and dedication.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Has there been any other player at URI that had such a wide difference of opinion? Can anyone name one?

Starter this year - Not a Starter this year
Will get 30+ minutes per game - will get 15 minutes or less per game
Great defensively - Goes for too may blocks and his man blows by him
Great in Italy - Not great in Italy as opponent talent level and opponent player heights were not there
Dedicated - Not Dedicated
Put on 20 pounds - Still too skinny
Good upside potential - got beat up by Iffy and Biruta everyday in practices
PC Board says he was very good and a good addition to URI - PC fans don't know anything about our players

One thing we can all agree on - there is a huge gap in the perception of Jordan Hare among members of this Board
Time will tell as always
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Restate that I believe he will be a starter by conference play. Of course the caveat will be that we are only playing two guards.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, Tuesday, he admitted that he gets beat up every day
in practice by Iffy and Watson.
So, is he a liar?
We'll be in three guard most of the year.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I haven't seen them practice, but judging from last season I would say they probably do beat him up and would foul out because of it. I don't put much weight on iffy and Gil pushing someone around in practice because they do it on the court and more often than not end up on the bench because of it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You know, I think that's the reason Hurley over-hyped both, because,
while they banged everyone around and bulled their way, no fouls were called
in practice.
In games, the rough stuff got called and both Gil and Iffy spent much of the season
in foul trouble.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Totally agree, I hope they improve this year. It would be great to have a solid rotation.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Basketball skills count for more than being a fullback on a basketball team.

Iffy doesn't have much in the way of BB skills, at least yet.

You know, try to play good defense without fouling. Iffy and Gil are good at the fouling part.

Play tough, but smart. They don't do that. So I'm not impressed with it.

Hassan, on the other hand, is miles better than both of them already. And he's a sophomore to-be. Our best interior defender, by far.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe best to call fouls in these practices.
Makes Hare tougher because of the pushing, body contact, etc from Biruta and Iffy but it was a frustrating thing last year to see Iffy commit 5 fouls in 10 minutes or less of play, Biruta similar. Sometimes I even thought Biruta wanted off the court for some unknown reason the way if fouled so often. Strange thing to say but the rate of fouling was sometimes crazy with these two guys, and it wasn;t like they were getting many offensive fouls either - vast majority was defensively.

I expected much more from Biruta and Iffy last year based on all the practice stories from the season that they sat out.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The idea that Biruta did not want to be playing is silly. Say what you want about him, but I'm not going to pile on, especially now. Yes, fouls were a concern. He did average 25 minutes a game and fouled out 3 times. At times, he would pick up 2 early and then that becomes a coaching decision as to play/not play the rest of the half. Hurley might have been too conservative with that at times, but he couldn't completely trust him, either. Biruta's a smart guy and was acutely aware of the lack of depth. Step on the court with "don't foul" going through your head and what happens? The ankle was more of a problem than was let on. I expect a better senior season from him.

As for the mix tapes, who's next Wednesday? I'm going with TJ.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

I disagree about the fouls due to being too physical. Most of the fouls I remember from Gil mostly were chippy little "I'm annoyed because I didn't get the rebound/steal/etc" fouls. They weren't knocking someone over getting a rebound or going to the basket fouls. If Gil can stay focused and not let his emotions rule he wouldn't have been in foul trouble nearly so often.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI_IEP wrote:I disagree about the fouls due to being too physical. Most of the fouls I remember from Gil mostly were chippy little "I'm annoyed because I didn't get the rebound/steal/etc" fouls. They weren't knocking someone over getting a rebound or going to the basket fouls. If Gil can stay focused and not let his emotions rule he wouldn't have been in foul trouble nearly so often.
So maybe in these scrimmages whereby we often heard how Iffy and Biruta were dominating hare maybe there should be fouls called and guys have to sit out. Agree with you completely that many of his fouls were chippy and many of them were just plain stupid. His emotions got the best of him and fouls sometimes happened at the worst possible time. If there can be some type of penalty for chippy or stupid fouls in scrimmages then maybe we need that - whatever he made these types of fouls at the beginning of the season, middle of the season and the end of the season.
More depth should help. He was at a disadvantage having to play out of position at center.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:The idea that Biruta did not want to be playing is silly. Say what you want about him, but I'm not going to pile on, especially now. Yes, fouls were a concern. He did average 25 minutes a game and fouled out 3 times. At times, he would pick up 2 early and then that becomes a coaching decision as to play/not play the rest of the half. Hurley might have been too conservative with that at times, but he couldn't completely trust him, either. Biruta's a smart guy and was acutely aware of the lack of depth. Step on the court with "don't foul" going through your head and what happens? The ankle was more of a problem than was let on. I expect a better senior season from him.
As for the mix tapes, who's next Wednesday? I'm going with TJ.
I agree with you Ace that the idea that he might not seem like he wanted to be on the court and might be inclined to commit fouls is silly - but that thought did go through my mind a couple of times last year. The fouls were sometimes so silly, thoughtless, stupid..........
But I am a big fan of Biruta. I like his game, his physical presence, his inside moves. I think that he suffered more than anyone on the team last year with Jordan Hare not playing. His first year with the Rams he had to play out of position a lot at Center. He had to take on the rebounding and defensive burden left by Hare not being there. That said, I have been and continue to be a big fan of Jordan Hare. (ducking). When I made my predictions last year I reduced 4-5 wins to predict 15-16 otherwise I was anticipating 20 wins. Who knows if Hare would have meant 5 more wins, it's all opinion, but I think Hare would have allowed Biruta to play the forward spot almost exclusively, and maybe would have resulted in less pressure, fewer fouls, fewer stupid fouls, etc.
It's all behind us now.
For this year the great thing is that we are going to have much more depth, much more competition for playing time.
3 Guard line up?
3 Big man line up?
It's like the big men and the guards are going ot be fighting it out for the playing time - which initself is healthy.
I love this Big line up:
Hare
Biruta
Martin
Mathews
Terrell or TJ with the other first off the Bench

I also could like Smaller this line up:
Biruta
Martin
Mathews
Terrell
TJ or Garrett with the other first off the Bench

Did not mean to sound like I was piling on Biruta - I really like him. He suffered through last year having to do a yeoman's job down low - with great help from a most exciting Hassan Martin - but there was not much more help. With Hare back we will see.
0 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

Here's another video... X's career mixtape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14-DFiINmI
0 x