Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Behind the basket on the big score board side.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i prefer quality over quantity -- do whatever enhancements you can do at an A+ level. if you are going to half ass a scoreboard and still need better video and stats resources then dont do it. do the ribbon and video board enhancements. if you can accommodate all needs in a state of the art center scoreboard then prioritize that. the placement of the scoreboard is such a major flaw in that building.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Andrew wrote:Disagree wholeheartedly on NEL v. Del's, but I think we all agree a ton of improvement with concessions is needed. I like the idea of RI-based companies a lot.

I'm assuming there's a contract with Aramark or Chartwells or whoever it is that's currently responsible for concessions. I'm also assuming that some of the local places would not be able to pay as much for that space. Is the substantial improvement in concessions worth the loss of revenue?
Wait, Del's isn't based in Rhode Island anymore?

BTW, New England Lemonade is headquartered around the corner from that hideous disgusting institution that shall not be named.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Del's is based in Cranston
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Next year's needs: Ryan Center In-Game Experience

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ATPTourFan wrote:So, I've received some very good news with regard to progress in making major enhancements to the in-game atmosphere in the Ryan Center.

This season's improvements are well known at this point:
  • New Gorgeous Floor
  • New NBA/Final Four style backstops w/ new rims and backboards
  • New 40 foot LED video board at the scorer's table
I'm told there will be news of one other major improvement for this season to be announced within the next several weeks.

For NEXT year, progress is being made on a complete refresh of the Ryan Center digital signage and video system. The bid for enhancements targeted for next season has been won by AJP, one of the world's top firms specializing in stadium/arena video. They have a very impressive portfolio and have designed the AV upgrades for Xavier's Cintas Center which should give you a general idea of what URI would like to do with the Ryan Center.

In addition to the center hung scoreboard and LED ribbon, new LED floor lighting is also a likely addition. The floor/event lighting upgrade is going to be a major $ saver and greatly improve the arena's carbon footprint and energy efficiency. Of course, LED event lighting allows for instant on/off and full-range dimming effects.

These are MAJOR plans to raise the fan experience in the Thomas M. Ryan Center to an entirely new level. There is so much being done to elevate URI Basketball to a championship level, nationally recognized program!
Is this work done or at least on schedule for October completion? This will line up very nicely with our shiny new team!

Any inside the building recon?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Excellent news. The RC is getting the upgrades that the DDC got 3 years ago.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Paid for by tax dollars to benefit a private school.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 sniffs bait and swims away......
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

the troll returns, with passive aggressive barbs fitting of his pansy ass.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

If anyone has the time or the connections to answer a few questions it would be appreciated by a lot of us.

#1 Is a question previously seen (not sure if it was on this board)--I remember reading that PC brought recruits to the Dunk. The question was who paid for the court to be installed and removed (if necessary) if it was not down at the time of the recruit's visit.

#2 What was the financial performance of the Dunk in its last fiscal year after the State spent about $100million on the improvements?

Now that I think of it I have a 3rd question:

#3 What was the rent increase charged to PC to play in the updated Dunk?

Anyone got any answers?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I hope to have a more detailed update on Ryan Center upgrades happening this offseason, but for now I understand the LED Ribbon installation should be getting underway now that commencement is behind us.

Also, I believe we will have completely new, full LED Video scoreboards to replace the main and "mini" score/video boards and surrounding analog advertisements. The mini one is going to be larger and a bit lower and easier to view according to a first hand report I've received.

No Center scoreboard this year, but they will continue to look into adding more enhancements like that in the coming years.

Between the ribbon's score/time/stats/ads and the new all digital signage, I think fans will be very happy with all the info available all around them.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We need Dunkin Donuts coffee and NY System hot wieners as concessions.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

seanmc94 wrote:Excellent news. The RC is getting the upgrades that the DDC got 3 years ago.
Except the state had to pay for that glorified paint job you call a renovation.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rodfromcranston wrote:Paid for by tax dollars to benefit a private school.
Bahaha. Got to love our GA!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Taylor Swift wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Paid for by tax dollars to benefit a private school.
Bahaha. Got to love our GA!
Agree. That's where the major renovations should start.
Last edited by ramfan85 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

steviep123 wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:Excellent news. The RC is getting the upgrades that the DDC got 3 years ago.

So the upgrades at the RC are "great, awesome and enhance the in-game experience". The same upgrades at the DDC are a "glorified paint job".

When was the last time you were inside the DDC?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Been in the Dunk recently, it's a fine facility. Not as good as the RC for college basketball, though. Too many crappy seats in the Dunk, but that's to be expected given its size. I hope the Ryan Center eventually gets a center-hung scoreboard, that is the biggest needed improvement, IMO, Upgraded video screens are a must, and I hope ATP is right that it will be happening for this upcoming season.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

seanmc94 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

So the upgrades at the RC are "great, awesome and enhance the in-game experience". The same upgrades at the DDC are a "glorified paint job".

When was the last time you were inside the DDC?
I was there a few years ago not too long after the "$100 million" face lift the state paid for. I was not impressed. From the inside of the arena it looked just as dark and dismal as it did before the renovations. Where the money went I'll never know but if that's what they spent it on I'm unimpressed.

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Getting Dave Gavitt out of the Dump was a huge improvement.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

What we need next year is "the perfect cheer."
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramfan85 wrote:What we need next year is "the perfect cheer."

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/hl-495411 ... season_21/

"The Perfect Cheer"? haha :lol: :lol: I couldn't resist.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Fans will be in for a treat next season with upgrades that will wow your senses -- both visible and audible.

While an official press release may be weeks away, which would include renderings of what the Ryan Center would look like following these upgrades, we have been talking about the specifics for a while now in this thread.

LED information ribbon is a go, replacing all the backlit static signage with a dynamic, bright and versatile asset for delivering game information, animations, and revenue-driving advertising.

Both the main and auxiliary score/video boards are being replaced with large LED panels which will also eliminate any of the analog signage. These High Def video boards can deliver in-set game video wrapped with score/player info and advertising or be used for full-screen video delivery like with pre-game introductions.

Lastly, on a topic that comes up virtually every season, a significant audio upgrade is underway. By implementing strategically placed sound-dampening material and moving the sound controller board into an acoustically optimal location inside the arena (Rather than in an AV room), fans should enjoy higher fidelity sound at appropriate levels in every seat.

Installation should commence following all the high school graduations, so keep an eye out in late June.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Awesome stuff. Weird is it may be, I'm as pumped for the sound updates as I am for the video ones.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Great news ATP. Looking forward to not being deafened in the 300s. All that being said, I would look forward to watching next year's team if they were playing in a cave.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Thanks for the updates, ATP! Great news about the video boards - hopefully with their increased size they will be more visible from all seating areas
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The main scoreboard is big... something like 40'x20' or thereabouts. That would be like a 45 foot diagonal HDTV.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thats the great thing about these "newer" type displays. It's not like it used to be where there is set space taken up by ads at all times, and then the info people really want stuck in a fixed space in the middle. They are basically one big display and can be customized on the fly to show whatever you want and go full screen to show a big replay or whatever.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:Fans will be in for a treat next season with upgrades that will wow your senses -- both visible and audible.

While an official press release may be weeks away, which would include renderings of what the Ryan Center would look like following these upgrades, we have been talking about the specifics for a while now in this thread.

LED information ribbon is a go, replacing all the backlit static signage with a dynamic, bright and versatile asset for delivering game information, animations, and revenue-driving advertising.

Both the main and auxiliary score/video boards are being replaced with large LED panels which will also eliminate any of the analog signage. These High Def video boards can deliver in-set game video wrapped with score/player info and advertising or be used for full-screen video delivery like with pre-game introductions.

Lastly, on a topic that comes up virtually every season, a significant audio upgrade is underway. By implementing strategically placed sound-dampening material and moving the sound controller board into an optimal location inside the arena (Rather than in an AV room), fans should enjoy higher fidelity sound at appropriate levels in every seat.

Installation should commence following all the high school graduations, so keep an eye out in late June.
Outstanding updates to go with our exciting new team and new women's coach!!

Great news!!!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I really want the players names on the uniforms. I don't know why last season uniforms didn't have the players names on them. I feel it cheapens the whole uniform. I would says about 90% of teams at the D1 level have the names on the jersey.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I hear we are working on new music for the home games next season.

All of the Lights was one of the most prominent songs last season as well as Wake Me Up. Every time I hear either song I automatically think of URI hoops.

I'm hoping Turn Down for What by DJ Snake and Lil Jon makes the rotation next season.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Screw the rap. Let's have "The Future is Slow," by the Kills!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RoadyJay wrote:I'm hoping Turn Down for What by DJ Snake and Lil Jon makes the rotation next season.
I second that motion.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Now all we need to do is move the press to the dead area under thebig scoreboard and put seats to where the press is :)
0 x
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RIKen822 »

Zombie Nation just before Rhody intros
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I love the light show at the beginning but they really need to shut off more lights
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:I love the light show at the beginning but they really need to shut off more lights
When they do it the only lights other than LED event lights are the dim spots to illuminate the stairs in the mezzanine and concourse levels.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think a lot of light comes in from the concourse because they don't shut the curtains.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The nice elderly lady usher in the 205/206 aisle certainly does... where's the consistency!!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

to me the last piece is moving the students out from under the basket and creating a real home court advantage....something tells me student attendance will dramatically increase over the next 1-3 seasons. lets make it a better experience for them and create a real Pit environment.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:to me the last piece is moving the students out from under the basket and creating a real home court advantage....something tells me student attendance will dramatically increase over the next 1-3 seasons. lets make it a better experience for them and create a real Pit environment.
I would love for the students to be sitting on the sidelines and behind the benches like it used to be in Keaney. I wonder how the season ticket holders who currently have those prime seats would feel about it? Does anybody here have seasons in the 100s along the sidelines or maybe the lower part of the 200s along the sidelines?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I don't see it happening... at least anytime soon. They need to prove they can show up consistently first.

Also, I believe there are now regulations as to the area behind the Visiting bench. You need to reserve the area (not sure how big) behind the bench for Visiting fans.

I've seen plenty of other schools where sitting on the behind the basket works just fine. Our students just need to show up!
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

The two songs I would most like to hear this year would be in the last minute of the last A10 home game when we claim the regular season title and let us use it again for a gathering at the RC to send off the Rams to the NCAA's.

Celebrate by Cool and the Gang
We are the Champions by Queen
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrob wrote:The two songs I would most like to hear this year would be in the last minute of the last A10 home game when we claim the regular season title and let us use it again for a gathering at the RC to send off the Rams to the NCAA's.

It's a Beautiful Day...U2
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My newest vote for pre-game music...heard this in a World Cup commercial for the first time today...

0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:
rhodyrob wrote:The two songs I would most like to hear this year would be in the last minute of the last A10 home game when we claim the regular season title and let us use it again for a gathering at the RC to send off the Rams to the NCAA's.

No! No Bono! Stop! That song makes me think of a Yoga class. Celebrate makes me think of someone's wedding long after everyone's drunk and has forgotten what song the dj is playing. We Are the Champions is....played out.

When I was a freshman students had seats behind both benches. When we played Temple all the students were given John Chaney faces on sticks that they held up the whole game. We can get back to this!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

Taylor Swift wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

No! No Bono! Stop! That song makes me think of a Yoga class. Celebrate makes me think of someone's wedding long after everyone's drunk and has forgotten what song the dj is playing. We Are the Champions is....played out.

When I was a freshman students had seats behind both benches. When we played Temple all the students were given John Chaney faces on sticks that they held up the whole game. We can get back to this!
Wagner ~ Flight of the Valkyries
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Daniel Bryan already has that as his entrance music.
Would sound like a rip off.
Attachments
yes!.jpg
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

rodfromcranston wrote:Daniel Bryan already has that as his entrance music.
Would sound like a rip off.
Who the heck is Daniel Bryan?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You're kidding, right?
When you see the entire Michigan State stadium doing the
"YES! YES! YES!" in unison, that's Daniel Bryan's trademark.
Probably the most popular person in the world of sports
entertainment.
Also married to one of the hottest woman anywhere.
0 x