Starting Five

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Starting Five

Unread post by sf2010 »

Interesting take here on a10talk. Especially like the quote where the writer notes that "the Rams seem full of options all of a sudden." Pretty accurate way to describe recent events, if you ask me.

Hadn't really seen many people here throw out the idea of TJ starting (most seem to be in the Garrett immediately or Biggie camps), but I think it's a thought that could work. TJ was decently capable handling the ball when forced to last year, and having a PG-by-committee approach could work with TJ/EC splitting most of the duties among the starters, with Garrett/Biggie able to handle the point when they rotate in off the bench. Thoughts?

http://www.a10talk.com/one-hacks-guess- ... ing-fives/

Rhode Island
G – TJ Buchanan 6’3 195 senior
G – Jared Terrell 6’3 220 freshman
G – EC Matthews 6’5 190 sophomore
F – Hassan Martin 6’7 210 sophomore
F – Gilvydas Biruta 6’8 245 senior
Thoughts: Another tough one to figure out as the Rams seem full of options all of a sudden. Head coach Dan Hurley has options in the paint with the return of Jordan Hare and Biruta beside Martin, but I believe he’ll stick with last year’s group and go with a three-guard lineup with Biruta and Martin down low, swapping out the graduated Xavier Munford for top-75 freshman, Jared Terrell.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Starting Five

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Love TJ but I don't see any chance of him starting. Good energy/defense but very limited offensively. He'll see minutes off the bench to provide energy/defensive spark but this off-season we've raised the bar significantly at the guard positions. I'm in the Biggie camp (to start the year). Garrett will need to beat him out.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I could see starting the year with that lineup they mention, but wouldn't expect it to last very long. Ultimately I think TJ's biggest strength is as an off the bench energy guy.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I agree that TJ took good care of the ball, but he doesn't create opportunities for others. That's what I want my PG to do. I love what TJ brings to this team as a leader and as a guy who plays his ass off. But he's just not a PG. We have much better options now.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I agree that TJ took good care of the ball, but he doesn't create opportunities for others. That's what I want my PG to do. I love what TJ brings to this team as a leader and as a guy who plays his ass off. But he's just not a PG. We have much better options now.
Yup, what he said.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm with others in that I think some semblance of this starting 5 is how we start the year in Game 1. Whether that is TJ or Biggie, I don't see Jarvis being given or even earning the starting nod on Day 1. Over time that position is his but it could take 10-15 games....until that time I see a platoon of TJ or Biggie as the starter, pending who shows the most promise. Also I believe that with more weapons on offense we can get away with a "game manager" at least at the beginning and TJ seems capable to fill that role. I agree he is not a dangerous playmaker, and we will be that much more potent when we get that kind of play from our PG, but he was asked to do a lot more than just manage the game last year and if he can fall back into that role he may be a capable game-manager type PG.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm with Roady Jay. I think Minnis starts, Garrett takes over by
conference play.
TJ is far more valuable as our kamikaze player giving high energy and defense off the bench.
Team needs a real creator to rev things up on offense.
Neither Biggie or TJ is suited for that role. A good PG makes everyone around him
better. To me, the sooner Garrett gets his game to being able to handle the job,
the better. He's the guy we've been waiting for since Tyson Wheeler left.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would like to see the story of last years starting 5. DH is a guard-guy I believe but for some reason I feel that last year he continued to try and roll out a more conventional lineup in terms of the 1-5.

I think that puts Hare at the 5 by default if he makes it to a game day.

It's so exciting to have what seems to be a full roster. Would love to see a YouTube series on the full team working through their offseason program and into their preseason. The battles at guard and forward would be worth it.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I agree with Rod. We've been patching together a pg for years now. I hope Garrett can be the one. He has a huge opportunity in front of him. The job is his to win and keep. I saw his game at RIC on tv and the kid can play. He was banging 3's all over the place. And he can handle the ball.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Regardless of the starting five, you have to be excited about the match-up possibilities. Think about it, they played most conference games last year with a bench of Onyekaba, Reischel, and Butler. It's just one combination, but a backcourt of Minnis (especially if he can get those fouls under control) and Terrell, for example, is so physical and could be a very difficult match-up for some teams. Even Reischel on the floor with two legitimate bigs and a pg can do things he couldn't last year, when too many times he had to be brought in to replace Biruta or Onyekaba if they were in foul trouble. I think they were hurt early last year with pg uncertainty, trying to keep Powell happy/reward his effort for the previous season and in the rotation (not ideal but you do what you have to do), even though the plan seemed to be for Biggie to earn the job.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Love the size that can now be on the floor. Will present a lot of matchup problems...
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hope Hurley anoints TJ as the sixth man right from the start. I think TJ will embrace that role, proving energy, leadership and defense off the bench.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep... 6th man is a necessary asset for any successful team.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

A good 6th man is actually a sixth starter, IMO.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think Jared and Jarvis will both be starting rather quickly. In comparing these two to last year's two outstanding frosh, there are a few differences. EC and Hassan were both 17 years old when they came to URI. I believe Jared and Jarvis will both be 19. There is normally a lot of both physical and mental maturity between the ages of 17 and 19. I assume both EC and Hassan lived at home during their high school years. Jared and Jarvis have both lived away from home for some time during their high school years. Adjusting to campus life will come quicker. They've already done it. The main adjustment for both will be the level of competition they see on the court, although both have played against very good teams in HS and AAU. I think both will be ready very quickly. Let's hope. It could be the difference between a good season and a great season.
Last edited by Billyboy78 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jared is already 19. He's already in college shape muscle-wise. As long as he shows that he's ready defensively, I think he'll start right away. If Biggie starts off slowly, then Jarvis may get an early shot to start, too. But he'll have to earn it in practice.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

athletically and defensively JT is ready to go from Day 1, its his offense that will need to catch up. I think the learning curve is much steeper for Jarvis, high school to college PG is a major jump....I think the 1 and 5 positions have steepest learning curves going from HS to College. I could see it taking him some time, hopefully we dont need to press him into action out of necessity.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Can't help but feel TJ's importance to the team as a starter is seriously over looked. The guy is a leader, hard worker, and the team's motor. When you grow up playing basketball on team after team, year after year, instead of watching it on TV or in a comfy chair you begin to understand the real importance of guys like him on a team and the kind of impact he has psychologically on the team when he's on the floor doing his thing. Last year seemed like the first year TJ was able to get a ton of minutes at the point guard spot and I don't doubt his offensive production and overall game will improve slightly from last year if he continues to get the time at the point guard spot. There are so many other people on the team that can score and will be even better this coming year.
This is all just my opinion. I know some won't like it. I just feel the team needs TJ as a starter more than some may think. You need guys like TJ on the floor as much as possible because he's the kind of guy that makes his teammates better…makes them work just a little bit harder on every possession. His presence is the difference between URI winning close games by 1 or 2 points or losing by 1 or 2 points.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Agree on TJs importance. If he's a starter, I would imagine that he splits the PG role with EC.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Dude wrote:Can't help but feel TJ's importance to the team as a starter is seriously over looked. The guy is a leader, hard worker, and the team's motor. When you grow up playing basketball on team after team, year after year, instead of watching it on TV or in a comfy chair you begin to understand the real importance of guys like him on a team and the kind of impact he has psychologically on the team when he's on the floor doing his thing.
I think the coach has played in a game or two, and he didn't start TJ until it became almost a forced decision. Everyone loves TJ, and his value to this team is not being overlooked. However, I don't see him as a full year starter and especially not at pg. I see him being to this year's team what Chris Martin was to Wagner in 11-12. As the first guy off the bench on that team, he got almost starter's minutes and really embraced his role.

An old article that kind of relates to my comparison and bench use (it's about Wagner from 2011).
http://www.silive.com/colleges/index.ss ... er_co.html
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree with Ace, 100%. No way TJ starts and no way is he a point guard.
His value is clearly in coming off the bench and providing energy and defense.
Point guard will be Minnis first and Garrett going forward.
We've waited a decade an a half for a player with Garrett's skill set.
Can't see that being wasted because of another player's fan popularity.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We probably now have 4 guys on the team who would play PG before TJ.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

For some reason I see TJ starting, he's a leader on the team and a good defender. I also expect him to come back an improved player. I'd be surprised if he didn't start on next year's team.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I'd gave Garrett the ball from day one. I know he has to earn it, but I just have a hunch that jiggy, silk, and tyson would approve. He will make some mistakes but in the long run...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

First day of practice:
Biggie
EC
TJ
Gil
Hassan

Eventually:
Jarvis
EC
Jared
Gil
Martin
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I can see Terrell starting from the first game. I hope Jarvis eventually takes over, but not because Biggie struggles, but I hope Jarvis just takes it from him.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

neil wrote:I'd gave Garrett the ball from day one. I know he has to earn it, but I just have a hunch that jiggy, silk, and tyson would approve. He will make some mistakes but in the long run...
I agree, Garrett has a skill set that no one else on the team has plus I think it takes the pressure off Biggie who played much better last year as a backup than a starter. TJ needs to get back to playing with reckless energy, something he stopped doing when they needed him to share in the ballhandling. He performed admirably in a role that doesn't really fit his skill set but I'll take 15 minutes of all out hustle and defense from TJ over 28 minutes of him trying to be something he's not and worrying about fouls and cramping.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

By the end of the yr...
Garrett
EC
Martin
Gil
Hare
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

A lot of options, all of a sudden. The main concern at this point is that all of these options remain intact for the whole season, and that Hurley's hand isn't forced by unforeseen circumstances. Can never have too much depth, as has been proved time and again.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

I don't think Jarvis or Jarad will start early in the season. I think we'll see them come off the bench early in the game and play 20-25 minutes per game though. I know they are older than EC of Hassan were, but there is no reason to put the additional pressure of starting on their shoulders early in the season. Starting should not be the measuring stick for Jarvis or Jarad. It's overrated.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I like this thread. It's everyone's personal opinion as to the starting lineup and, today, everyone is right.
I'll give my 2 cents on the issue. I agree with Will. I think TJ starts-and deserves to. He may start at the 1 or the 3. I'd like to see him move quickly to the 6th man position. I'd also like to see Dan make a big thing out of it. That is, stressing his importance as the 6th man. It's such an important position. He has to be ready to go into the game early and make whatever adjustments are needed as the game dictates.
I usually prefer to have the playing time iniitally given to the upperclassmen. But, this year is a little different. We have 2 extremely talented freshmen. If they're ready, they should be starting.
Last edited by ramfan85 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

In the past, we were able to make arguments for freshman starting because we wanted to have them "better prepared for the future." With this roster, the future is now. We should play the players who give us the best chance to win each game. If the freshman are making "freshman mistakes" (hate that term, and don't believe in it. Seen too many upperclassmen make "freshman mistakes" but that's for another thread), then they should sit. The success of this team should not be sacrificed for their development.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TJ's not a PG, and if he plays PG for even one minute in the first practice, I think that's a mistake.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

If Hare's academics are in order, I expect him to be in the starting lineup before the two freshman.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

While I think Hare is/will be important, he's got to get back into game shape. Except for a few noncompetitive games in Italy, he hasn't played a serious game in 18 months.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Not based on anything but a gut feeling.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Do we want a true center like Hare starting, assuming he has progressed, got stronger, etc.? Or do we want both Hassan and Gil starting? And if Hare does start, and we are going with 3 guards, which one, between Hassan and Gil, starts?......as far as 6th man/first man off the bench, I think it's got to be a big, because of the way our bigs have problems with fouls. So, depending on who starts, first man off the bench would be Hare/Gil/Hassan, or maybe even Watson. Two early fouls on a big will determine the first substitution. With that rotation of 4 bigs, Iffy will find a hard time finding minutes. This is assuming that Watson is better than Iffy, and since I have not seen Watson play, I am only assuming.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Must keep in mind the fact Gil can't cover anything and gets foul trouble before the first media timeout. Still I hold out hope he is better than last year in that department. His instant offense may be better utilized off the bench. Let him ease into the game? Still hope he gets up around 15 ppg?

I hope everyone makes it to camp and into the season. Exciting roster.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Gil led the team in rebounding (7) and was third in scoring (10.6). So despite his problems on defense and with fouls, he's starting. And there's no way Martin doesn't start. So the only question is if they go with a center (Hare) or a third guard (TJ, Terrell). They could go with a traditional SF like Reischel, but I doubt it.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Agreed, Iggy. I think we can safely write three guys into the lineup. Gilvydas, Hassan, and EC.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't see Dan being like CFL and rolling out the same starting
lineup, no matter the competition.
I think it will depend on match-ups. He may go three guards against most
teams, and say, Hare, Biruta and Martin against
LSU, SMU, Arizona type front courts.
Baring injuries, there should be plenty of flexibility on the roster.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We are in such a great spot. It feels like we have such a better team than last year and without the preseason media hype. I think we are going to startle alot of teams next year. Last year, teams were expecting us to be good and we struggled. This year, we are going to be good and they won't be expecting it. Advantage.....us.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Madness is only about 4 months away. I'm guessing it's around Oct. 1st?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Madness is only about 4 months away. I'm guessing it's around Oct. 1st?
It's Madness on this board everyday Billy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Madness is only about 4 months away. I'm guessing it's around Oct. 1st?
It's Madness on this board everyday Billy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is true.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Not saying Gil should be on the bench, more that I would just like to see a more creative approach to the lineups.

Gil had 5 or less rebounds in ten games and double digit rebounds in only seven games. I would like a more consistent Gil if anything.

I figure he would have an easier time coming off the bench to score and not matching up with the other teams best. He also had 4 or more fouls 17 times. His thing is scoring, not much else.
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

Look how we have improved over CFLs last or DHs first year.Is our bottom five (Iffy, Watson, JR, Butler and Biggie) better then those teams starters?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I wouldn't put Watson in with those other players.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

There are probably 8 or 9 guys who will start at some point this season. I see it like baseball, first game start goes to the guys who have proven it in the past even if there are younger or newer options. (EC, Hass, Gil and TJ start for me). By the time post season starts you set your rotation on who is hot at that point in the season.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This is madness? THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qR0Uke2XNI
0 x