New Assistant Coach candidates

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Re: New Assistant Coach candidates

Unread post by wakefield »

How about we bring home Kenny Green?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Poor Kenny, stuck in the Middle East forever.
What a mess.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'd have to know how much he can bench.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

For now on we need bench stats on everybody.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
GY=URI
Abdul Fox

Unread post by GY=URI »

When Baron was getting replaced, my candidate was Preston. I think I was right. He would have had a big man coach on his staff.
He understands the importance of inside play development. He got us Hare. He played with Clay and Reynolds Dean, dominant inside
players who worked together as unselfish team players. Clay would get the double and triple letting Dean punish the opponent.
My candidate is Dean. He is a straight up hard working guy and (if Hurley allows) will be able to pass on what he has learned
playing the inside game. Wins will only come when we have an inside presence. Wins will translate to easier recruiting. We have the players to
win next year for sure.
We need Hare back and we need to teach Inside dominance.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I think Dan knows enough basketball people to get a good one. I wouldn't mind someone in the high school ranks who can maybe bring a player in in a package deal.

Chris herren, although he has relaxed a lot, and dan who may or may not have I would have a hard time picturing together on the same sideline. If they are it is def a good thing carr and Murray seem to be pretty laid back. It would be needed. Oh and Chris herren is def the best high school player I have ever seen too (along with Tim Thomas to be fair) and I've seen a lot of good ones. Most competitive by far. It's a shame there are not more highlights online
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I will bet with anyone that no ex-URI player even gets interviewed.
I doubt any are what is needed to replace Preston.
Nor is Preston anywhere near ready for the head coaching job.
He's aware of what's needed and made progress in his time here.
Being a head coach is like running a small company. It doesn't just happen,
because you like someone.
Preston's time will come.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

GY=URI wrote:When Baron was getting replaced, my candidate was Preston. I think I was right. He would have had a big man coach on his staff.
He understands the importance of inside play development. He got us Hare. He played with Clay and Reynolds Dean, dominant inside
players who worked together as unselfish team players. Clay would get the double and triple letting Dean punish the opponent.
My candidate is Dean. He is a straight up hard working guy and (if Hurley allows) will be able to pass on what he has learned
playing the inside game. Wins will only come when we have an inside presence. Wins will translate to easier recruiting. We have the players to
win next year for sure.
We need Hare back and we need to teach Inside dominance.

Preston had just two years experience as a full assistant coach when Baron was let go. He was only a DBO in his time at BC. He was in no way prepared to be a head coach at URI two years ago. As it will be going forward, he is just the #3 guy at BC (behind Christain and Spinelli).
0 x
lasumesa
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by lasumesa »

Parfait Bittee....has been playing professionally in Europe and Africa. Has roots here. Many connections to foreign programs.
Maybe that's a recruiting trail to explore....
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RF1 wrote:
Preston had just two years experience as a full assistant coach when Baron was let go. He was only a DBO in his time at BC. He was in no way prepared to be a head coach at URI two years ago. As it will be going forward, he is just the #3 guy at BC (behind Christain and Spinelli).
He might even be #4 at BC if you look at resume only. Semantics, though. But, I think PM probably thought that he needed to bring in some high major recruiting scalps and a few years of seasoning on a high major staff before looking at head gigs. Heck, he might have thought his best shot at the Rhody job was to go this route.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I agree with Rod: candidates much more likely to have ties to Hurley than URI. Dan couldn't spell Parfait Bitee
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't care if the replacement for Murphy is a former URI player. I want the BEST candidate, one that is already an experienced recruiter.

I don't understand this fascination with having to have a URI guy on the staff. Did Penders, Skinner, or Harrick have former Rhody players on their staff? I don't seem to recall any and these guys had much success in Kingston.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed, RF1. Get best guy, all things considered. Aim high.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ATPTourFan wrote:Agreed, RF1. Get best guy, all things considered. Aim high.
It's all about the money. If URI is willing to shell out what they were going to in the final offer to PM, then sure you can get a quality guy. If they are bumping everyone up a seat and looking to fill the assistant #3 spot at $100k/year, well I wouldn't expect much. I hope DH finds a guy and is willing to go to the mat for him, pay wise.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jim Christian's hire as gone over like a lead balloon in greater Boston. BC is desperate to shore up the hire with good assistants such as Spinelli and Preston. Reminds me of URI after JD hire with jeff jones coming in. I expect the money is good for assistants.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

How about Joe Mazzulla?????????
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bressler3south wrote:How about Joe Mazzulla?????????
For a pipeline to Hendricken!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Are you serious? He's at Fairmont State!
Think Big.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think Hurley will go with someone he knows. He has no connection to old URI guys. Chris Herren is probably making more cash from assorted projects than URI could pay. And he has never coached, has he?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Are you serious? He's at Fairmont State!
Think Big.
Not seriously serious.. But he's young, aggressive, and all he has to do is whip out the highlights of gutty NCAA performances on his gadget…….
And I do believe it's a step BELOW Fairmont St., Greenfield State or something.
( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Also, I am thinking BIG, BIGGER, BIGGEST. Just put the money on the table and they'll be lining up. I was just looking at the thread and reading the same ol' stuff -- aside from Herren -- and Mazzulla's name popped into my mind, knowing that he was paying his dues at some Robert Byrd State Fiddle School.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

How about Dan Mazzulla. For laughs.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

How about Tony Barbee. Things went real bad at Auburn but he won at UTEP, and was an assistant for Calipari for quite a few years.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:How about Tony Barbee. Things went real bad at Auburn but he won at UTEP, and was an assistant for Calipari for quite a few years.
That might be worth pursuing versus many of the other names being thrown out. He has the experience, is an African American which most think we need given the makeup of the rest of the staff, knows the area and league since he played at UMass, and is currently out of work and might be open to the prospect.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RF1 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:How about Tony Barbee. Things went real bad at Auburn but he won at UTEP, and was an assistant for Calipari for quite a few years.
That might be worth pursuing versus many of the other names being thrown out. He has the experience, is an African American which most think we need given the makeup of the rest of the staff, knows the area and league since he played at UMass, and is currently out of work and might be open to the prospect.
Two questions is have. Is he willing to make over $1,000,000 less here as an assistant? Made 1.5 million at Auburn. And can he recruit in the northeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RoadyJay wrote:
RF1 wrote:
Two questions is have. Is he willing to make over $1,000,000 less here as an assistant? Made 1.5 million at Auburn. And can he recruit in the northeast?

If he has no job as is the case, he might be receptive. He could also still be getting paid by Auburn so short term salary may not be as much of an issue.

Another name that was mentioned was Dave Letaio. I am sure he was getting quite a bit less as an assistant at Missouri than he had been a few years earlier as head coach at Virginia.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Leitao joined Haith at Tulsa

0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

How about someone from Dan Hurley's past??? Just a name……..
http://www.teamwalker.org/about_jerry.html
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

lasumesa wrote:Parfait Bittee....has been playing professionally in Europe and Africa. Has roots here. Many connections to foreign programs.
Maybe that's a recruiting trail to explore....
For laughs- how about Jimmy Baron. Much of the same attributes.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Jimmy would be a great coach some day, but for now I think his income playing overseas is more than he could get as an assistant here.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

from VCU on their new hire for assistant coach. Wonder what he got paid.?

http://www.vcuramnation.com/2014/04/cas ... ing-staff/
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bressler3south wrote:How about someone from Dan Hurley's past??? Just a name……..
http://www.teamwalker.org/about_jerry.html
I like his resume as a player and I presume Team Walker is doing good work. But he has NO coaching/recruiting experience on any level. If he's commited to his Jersey City program I'd doubt he'd want the road warrior duties of a college assistant.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Just thinking of former players whose names may still have credibility amongst HS and AAU circles……..
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Barbee? I doubt it. Not for $79,000. People act as if this is a plum job. Well Murphy left it for a good reason.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rosie, URI is going to pay a new 1st assistant 135K a year, or maybe even 150K, what they offered Preston for the 1st year of 3 year deal.

For 79K, they would get squat.

Here's a name: Figure out how to get by for a year, and then hire TJ. Didn't Dan say he would make a good coach someday?

It's a future thought I know, right now they need an experienced and successful recruiter.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

Couldn't TJ become like a graduate assistant or something along those lines.
0 x
Give me football or give me death
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

I think this is an interesting article that sort of blew my mind when I looked at the A-10. (You'll see why….) Anyway, I did some searching of the names I recognized and there are a lot of guys in conferences ranked lower than the A-10, who have built impressive resumes. (Primarily, those I looked at are located east of the Mississippi.)
A name that jumped out at me was Kellen Sampson at Appalachian St. Certainly has paid his dues and has the pedigree, and is obviously driven to succeed, something he and Coach Hurley have in common.
Anyway, here's the link:
http://nextuprecruits.com/2013/09/07/to ... onference/
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Luke is 2nd and no mention of Preston??? He had just gotten here when this was published in September 2013, so it was his rep from his previous posting.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I saw why.

How do they rank these guys?

Luke #2 in the A10. Nice, but how?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What a crock of steaming dog crap!
When did this writer have his lobotomy?
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

That article reads like an old version of Bleacher Report (ie. before they hired outside talent). In his author bio, he has a "master degree"... it's obviously not in proofreading.
0 x
Go Rhody!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nothing like some interesting recruiting news to make you somewhat overlook that they have a whole coach's spot to fill. And, it's the only live recruiting weekend of the spring. Busy times...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

One thing that all can agree on about the Hurley era is that it has never been uneventful.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, Adam, true.

Let's hope the eventful stuff turns for the good here very soon......
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Here is a brief recap on Steve Middleton the ex Ok State coach. Did not realize that he was a New York guy as well as New England experience at UMass. And I understand that his specialty is working with big men.

will follow up on his compensation at Ok state. I believe Oklahoma publishes the salary of all state employees so I am sure it is there. Will advise
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

McRam wrote:Here is a brief recap on Steve Middleton the ex Ok State coach. Did not realize that he was a New York guy as well as New England experience at UMass. And I understand that his specialty is working with big men.

will follow up on his compensation at Ok state. I believe Oklahoma publishes the salary of all state employees so I am sure it is there. Will advise

If I read the link here correctly:

https://data.ok.gov/Finance-and-Adminis ... /pxrq-k8nt

Middleton made $147,000 in 2013.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

About Steve MIddleton:

√ Middleton has primarily coached the Cowboys big men in his time at OSU. Considering the long-term relationship with Ford, this move doesn’t feel natural. And there have been suggestions that Ford might be “urged” to shake up his staff, following a disappointing season. It’s too soon to suggest candidates to replace Middleton – James Dickey is available – but Ford is sure to get hit up by many job seekers this weekend as coaches converge at the Final Four.

Ford is desparate if he parts with a guy he's been with for how many years??????? Loyalty in this case is to his masters.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Thanks Rhody 74 for looking it up! Didn't have the time when I posted the link
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

McRam wrote:Thanks Rhody 74 for looking it up! Didn't have the time when I posted the link
The site I linked to shows Middleton's salary divided into two parts .... two-thirds is paid as a regular OK State employee and a third as a special employee. Perhaps the extra third is from donations or something. Anyway, I added the two parts together (which were monthly) and multiplied by 12 to get to $144,000. He seems to have the credentials we want .... big man coach, recruiter, Eastern roots .... if we can afford him. $144K goes further in Oklahoma than it does around here.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

God Shammgod.
0 x