A10 vs ACC / Barclay's

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 vs ACC / Barclay's

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

They'd probably buy a used NCAA tournament floor which is pretty generic, rather than roll out the hundreds of pieces of the Dave Gavitt Court, in the event the A10 tournament was in Providence.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Captainron@ wrote:
RF1 wrote:
rhodyrudder wrote: The covering up of Gavitt's name would be poetic justice for the A-10 since he continually raided it in his lustful and greedy campaign to build his league with no regard for anyone else.
Huh? History isn't your strong suit I guess.

Actually I am very good at history. I always excelled in it during my school years.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

RF1 wrote:Actually I am very good at history. I always excelled in it during my school years.
Maybe it's me then. I can't think of one team Dave Gavitt raided from the A10 in his lustful and greedy campaign to build his league with no regard for anyone else. What am I missing?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Villanova? Pitt? VATech? West Virginia? Any of these ring a bell?
Gavitt was BE Commisioner when these schools were poached from The Eastern 8
or A-10.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Captainron@ wrote:
RF1 wrote:Actually I am very good at history. I always excelled in it during my school years.
Maybe it's me then. I can't think of one team Dave Gavitt raided from the A10 in his lustful and greedy campaign to build his league with no regard for anyone else. What am I missing?
You will have to take off your rose-colored glssses before reading this.

Gavitt and his creation, the Big East, raided the Eastern-8/A-10 many times. While Gavitt was commisioner, he grabbed Villanova and Pitt. His hand-picked successor, Mike Tranghese, followed his example and grabbed West Virginia, Rutgers, and Va Tech. The old and the new Big East later took Temple, Xavier, and Butler. Eight teams were plucked from the Eastern-8/A-10 for a the old and new Big East.

Gavitt was the first man to build a conference mainly for tv to maximixe exposure and revenue with little regard to how other conferences were affected. All of the greedy conference realignment of the last few years is his legacy.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:Villanova? Pitt? VATech? West Virginia? Any of these ring a bell?
Gavitt was BE Commisioner when these schools were poached from The Eastern 8
or A-10.
From high above his perch in Craaaaaaaaaanston…….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPjS-TCCqk&safe=active

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I forgot Rutgers. No loss.
Even now, it's "how can we grab some school from the A-10?"
It's an obsession. Schools, coaches, whatever.
They're rooting for UMass to join the AAC, now. They want St. Louis, but need
another team to balance the schedule.
Maybe they should hire Putin to plot their next power grab?
This stuff never ends.
Of course, A-10 and URI are irrelevant.

Hey Bressler, that's WORLD HEADQUARTERS to you and Mr. Rooke!
And, I'm in a bunker, not a perch. I'm afraid of a raid by the NBE.
They might want Arthur as a mascot.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

My humblest apologies…….
Let's not make this mistake again about WORLD HQ!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjeW74XcAvc&safe=active

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

RF1 wrote:
Captainron@ wrote:
You will have to take off your rose-colored glssses before reading this.

Gavitt and his creation, the Big East, raided the Eastern-8/A-10 many times. While Gavitt was commisioner, he grabbed Villanova and Pitt. His hand-picked successor, Mike Tranghese, followed his example and grabbed West Virginia, Rutgers, and Va Tech. The old and the new Big East later took Temple, Xavier, and Butler. Eight teams were plucked from the Eastern-8/A-10 for a the old and new Big East.

Gavitt was the first man to build a conference mainly for tv to maximixe exposure and revenue with little regard to how other conferences were affected. All of the greedy conference realignment of the last few years is his legacy.

This one is right. Pitt and Nova came from the Eastern 8 which eventually became the A10. Everything else was after his tenure...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think the thing missing about these "power grabs" is that it isn't solely about the Big East going out of it's way to destroy the Atlantic 10. The problem is, list the best programs on the East coast not associated with Division 1 football (and are private institutions) and tell me where they reside? The Big East and the A-10. If the Big East had a west coast presence, perhaps they look at schools like Gonzaga and others. But the amount of schools who fit the profile are very limited Nothing is stopping the A-10 from poaching Big East and/or schools from other conferences. In fact, the two best regular season teams in the conference this season, were they even in the A-10 as far back as 10 years ago (can't remember when SLU joined)? The A-10 knows as well, the way to survive is building the best conference in your power.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yeah, I'm not a huge Big East fan but I don't think they did anything wrong with respect to building their conference. Acquisitions aren't personal, they're business. That is the way the world works, and it wasn't Dave Gavitt's personal responsibility to ensure the success of the A10. Where he screwed URI specifically was not including us initially when we were on basically equal footing with some of the other programs that were invited. I do believe that was out of spite and not for business reasons.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

When a league or conference or a business is in DIRECT COMPETITION WITH OTHERS, THE IDEA IS TO DESTROY THEM AND MAKE ITS BRAND THE ONLY ONE THE CONSUMER WANTS.
There is neither, nor was there ever, anything benevolent about the Big East's relationship and treatment of the A-10.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bressler3south wrote:When a league or conference or a business is in DIRECT COMPETITION WITH OTHERS, THE IDEA IS TO DESTROY THEM AND MAKE ITS BRAND THE ONLY ONE THE CONSUMER WANTS.
There is neither, nor was there ever, anything benevolent about the Big East's relationship and treatment of the A-10.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The idea for any business is to be the best. McDonalds sole purpose isn't to just destroy Burger King, but to try to be better than all stores (Wendy's, Arby's, Subway, etc).

The only thing that kept most conferences from trying to murder each other was that ESPN served as the binding tie between them. As football conferences continue to grow and more networks continue to try to grab a piece of the pie, look for more conferences to try to 1-up the next. Eventually, one of the ACC or Big 12 is going to be destroyed. I would bet that will happen in a few years, if the Big 10 leaves ESPN for Fox (as rumored). Big 10 will explore their expansion of Virginia/UNC. If those shoes drop, Big 12 will look to complete their expansion by grabbing the southern football schools from the ACC, Florida St. and Clemson among them (and teams who have already expressed disappointment in the direction of the ACC). Once that happens, the ACC will be relegated to the remaining ACC teams and AAC teams. It'll be a good basketball conference, a terrible football conference. Expansion is far from over. I just think ESPN is trying hard for stability at this point, can't have their assets clawing away at eachother and hurting profitability.

That would be my prediction. Just a hunch though.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bressler3south wrote:When a league or conference or a business is in DIRECT COMPETITION WITH OTHERS, THE IDEA IS TO DESTROY THEM AND MAKE ITS BRAND THE ONLY ONE THE CONSUMER WANTS.

Then why are all the Big East apologists playing the victim role and attacking the ACC for doing the exact same thing. How is it different when they are on the other end?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1, that is the key point. The Big East wasn't evil in taking Villanova back in the day or Xavier last year. They were acting in their own self interest, which is free markets 101. At the same time, however, it is hilariously hypocritical for Big East fans to complain about the ACC. By the same token, the same applies for A10 fans lauding the move to bring VCU to the conference at the same time they are vilifying the Big East for poaching A10 teams.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:Yeah, I'm not a huge Big East fan but I don't think they did anything wrong with respect to building their conference. Acquisitions aren't personal, they're business. That is the way the world works, and it wasn't Dave Gavitt's personal responsibility to ensure the success of the A10. Where he screwed URI specifically was not including us initially when we were on basically equal footing with some of the other programs that were invited. I do believe that was out of spite and not for business reasons.
We weren't on equal footing either. We were the best team in New England at the time, better than both PC and UCONN. And scumbag Gavitt knew how much this league would hurt our program. He despised URI. Screw Dave Gavitt. I hated that man.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Whose complaining about the ACC? Most have complained about how ESPN worked in the self-interest of the ACC and not that of the Big East (considering they were all nearly equal partners). They got the ball rolling, reaching out to Syracuse and Pittsburgh on behalf of the ACC, telling the ACC it was in their best interest to include those teams in expansion. They made the excuse that it was a "football move" since ESPN told us for years that basketball had nothing to do with revenue. Everyone knew it was BS the moment those words came out of their mouth. For that, people were upset at the ESPN for essentially trying to drive the Big East into the ground, at least that's how it appeared. They set the wheels for that version of the Big East to crumble. If not for Fox, where would the Big East be now?
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

What's the difference? ESPN is allowed to work in its self interest, too. It made a business decision that the best situation for it would be to use it's influence to solve a problem (the growing instability and imbalance in the old Big East) and improve one of its interests in the process. Getting mad at ESPN is the same as getting mad at the ACC. Essentially you want someone to leave money on the table for your benefit out of pure benevolence.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Whose complaining about the ACC? Most have complained about how ESPN worked in the self-interest of the ACC and not that of the Big East. They got the ball rolling, reaching out to Syracuse and Pittsburgh on behalf of the ACC, telling the ACC it was in their best interest to include those teams in expansion. They made the excuse that it was a "football move" since ESPN told us for years that basketball had nothing to do with revenue. Everyone knew it was BS the moment those words came out of their mouth. For that, people were upset at the ESPN for essentially trying to drive the Big East into the ground, at least that's how it appeared. They set the wheels for that version of the Big East to crumble. If not for Fox, where would the Big East be now?

Please spare me the ESPN talk. All was well when ESPN promoted the old Big East and dumped televising other league's games. All was well when the entire ESPN apparatus was pumping up the old Big East promoting it. I am sure that ESPN was involved at some level with the teams the old Big East was adding over 3 decades. The league would not have added more teams if it knew it wouldn't get more tv money. How is it different when ESPN and the ACC do it?

It is again a double standard. It is perfectly all right when the old Big East did it and they benefitted. It is all wrong when it is done to the old Big East and it suffers.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Honestly Superfly, that's enough. The rationalizing over the pure evil that exists at ESPN has to end here.
These TV and new conference realignment deals are all about branding. That's why the new Big East shelled out serious cash to keep its name and likeness, keep its tournament at MSG, etc.
The ACC has superior brands in both basketball and football. Duke and North Carolina's brands overshadow anything that exists in Big East basketball. Florida State and Miami's brands overshadow anything that exists in Big East football. It was good business by ESPN to hitch its wagon to those schools.
The bottom feeders in the Big East -- the Depauls, Seton Halls, etc. -- feel aggrieved. Okay, fine. But they were along for the ride. The real basketball brands -- Syracuse, Louisville, Georgetown -- were the programs with skin in the game. It was their chance to cut bait and save themselves by going with ESPN to the ACC. Syracuse and Louisville made decisions to save themselves. Georgetown missed its chance. Programs like Connecticut and Cincinnati overestimated their clout and got left out in the cold.
The issue most here would take with your stance, Superfly, is that you speak like ESPN owed something to the programs in the Big East. In reality, the modern Big East wouldn't exist without the boost ESPN gave it during its formative days in the early 1980s. That's too often forgotten. ESPN needed programming. The Big East provided it. Both sides profited. And then, as often happens in business, circumstances and relationships changed.
ESPN made an offer. That offer was refused. ESPN moved on. The programs left behind in the new Big East -- judging by the attitudes and statements of their fans on this board and elsewhere -- clearly have not.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

RF1 = PLUS
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

3wisemen = PLUS
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Remember how Calhoun and Boeheim badmouthed BC for trying to better themselves and join the ACC? Didn't take long for them to move on.

Hearing Gavitt's name still makes my blood boil.
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

In short is the following correct?

ACC has Barclays for 2017/2018
A10 gets 3 year extension with Barclay

A10 deal w/acc is for 3 years w/double headers

A10 tournament game will end up between DC and philly????
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

wakefield wrote:In short is the following correct?

ACC has Barclays for 2017/2018 yes
A10 gets 3 year extension with Barclayyes for 2019,2020,2021
A10 deal w/acc is for 3 years w/double headersyes
A10 tournament game will end up between DC and philly????
no, no announcement or decision has been made, mcglade will let sites bid on the tournament. Dayton's performance is certainly making the a10 look more attractive to the potential bidders. Money talks.below are her comments.
"It doesn't necessarily have one site for two years," she answered. "Obviously if we want to be in one venue for '17 and another for '18, then we're certainly open to that."

McGlade did not want to rule any venue out, or even give specifications as to just what the conference will be looking for.

"We have to take a look at all of the factors before we make a decision," she said. "We're not eliminating any possibilities as to where our 2017 and 2018 championships will go. Everything is in play right now."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/spor ... pliIRcc.99
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow, call me surprised. I can't think that Palestra has any real chance. Are they just throwing a bone to their Philly roots? How can you go from the state-of-the-art Barclays Center to the opposite in the Palestra??
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

To throw out a bid is to throw out a bid. It guarantees nothing.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I wish Dave Gavitt had coached at URI and did for us what he did for PC. But how could he, institutional leaders would have blocked his every move. Yea, URI was collateral damage in Dave's drive to build PC. But really, whose fault was that? URI would have jumped to a better conference that brought more revenue to the school if given the opportunity. But, it never made the the institutional commitment to make any better conference want us. And now, we are among the dregs of the A10 in our major sport. Complaining about the success of others is so Rhode island! URI needs to get off its a$$ and make it happen.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Strike off the Verizon Center in DC as a site for the 2017 A-10 Tournamnet. The Big Ten will be using it to stage its tournament. it will be interesting to see what the A_10 does now as both NYC and DC appear to be out. Philly and Pittsburgh could be possibilities. The DDC in Providence might even actually now have a shot if its deal is sweet enough.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... urney-2017
0 x