Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We have proven in this thread how EASY it is for Ruckus organizers to find "inspiration" for chants and other fun stuff by simply searching YouTube. Of course, you can watch TV and see how other quality student sections operate.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I also like how they were open to taking suggestions from anyone on their twitter account. It shows that even they are not satisfied with their student section and are looking for ways to improve. As awesome as the student section was for Providence this year, it can be better for UMASS on Feb. 9. A big crowd, everyone consistently standing, and some new chants would be awesome.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

this is EXACTLY what the ryan center needs to do. EZbuckets watch this, it shows how ucla teaches their whole crowd how to sing the chant
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Eh. That's a bit much. Maybe we can develop our own thing down the road. Let's start with the basics. STAND UP and MAKE NOISE the WHOLE GAME.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

ATPTourFan wrote:Eh. That's a bit much. Maybe we can develop our own thing down the road. Let's start with the basics. STAND UP and MAKE NOISE the WHOLE GAME.
Exactly my sentiments. At this point we can't even get the crowd or students to stand, clap, or yell for extended periods...nevermind choreographing elaborate cheers and chants.

Gotta walk before we run.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think I've mentioned this before, and I realize it probably seems like a bit of a cop-out answer... But once the team starts winning again, a lot of the problems related to attendance and fan support melt away. Meaning, you get more fans interested and paying for seats, and naturally, they're coming there to watch the game. And if they're doing that, it's naturally going to dissuade people who are fairweather fans - They will either adapt and start cheering more themselves, or they'll get rid of their tickets.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

SGreenwell wrote:I think I've mentioned this before, and I realize it probably seems like a bit of a cop-out answer... But once the team starts winning again, a lot of the problems related to attendance and fan support melt away. Meaning, you get more fans interested and paying for seats, and naturally, they're coming there to watch the game. And if they're doing that, it's naturally going to dissuade people who are fairweather fans - They will either adapt and start cheering more themselves, or they'll get rid of their tickets.
Pretty much everywhere shows up for a winner but there's a reason Hurley made the point that an energized building is needed to bring in the type of recruits that build a winner. I'm not saying we can change it but just saying it is what it is until the winning starts is a cop-out.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

North Carolina A&T has some of the wildest fans anywhere.
They've been to one tournament since 1985.
Saying you can't have involved fans until you win,
is a cop out.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I was just trying to find a way to include everyone in chants. Not just students
0 x
GO RAMS
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:North Carolina A&T has some of the wildest fans anywhere.
They've been to one tournament since 1985.
Saying you can't have involved fans until you win,
is a cop out.
Bingo!
Fans are FANS!!!!!!!!
All the time. The best of times, the worst of times, and in between.
Bandwagonners, well, they're meteorologists. Which way does the wind blow?
Here in Rhode Island, being real New Englanders, well, they're right at home…….
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

EZBuckets wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Eh. That's a bit much. Maybe we can develop our own thing down the road. Let's start with the basics. STAND UP and MAKE NOISE the WHOLE GAME.
Exactly my sentiments. At this point we can't even get the crowd or students to stand, clap, or yell for extended periods...nevermind choreographing elaborate cheers and chants.

Gotta walk before we run.
I feel like we had a student section that was all about that even until 2010...what happened?

Oh wait I remember - URI wanted the "family friendly" atmosphere where nobody stands, and nobody is mean to the opposing team, and nobody runs around to get the crowd involved, and nobody is right behind the visitor's bench because we want to welcome visitors into the ryan center with open arms and make them feel at home, and then they wanted to drive out the leaders of a group that did all of that and made that happen.

But the re-branding totally worked. I really feel the ruckus every time I'm in the Ryan Center.

Think Big. We totally do.

Whenever the athletic department wants to wake up and realize that the atmosphere they want isn't congruent with the "family friendly" atmosphere they're trying to set up, that's when you'll start to see a change.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The students should be in the 100's. if it's a money issue, then raise the prices of the 200's and 300's. We have students sitting in the 300's for craps sake. what is that? I may just stand the entire Umass game. What are the chances I get told to sit down? and if I refuse, what are the chances I get kicked out. Hmmmm, maybe I will do that.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

yea students in the 300's is absurd.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think the Athletic Dept is going to find it increasingly difficult to sell tickets next year and raise funds for the program. I would expect the season ticket base to dip a bit. It will mainly be the real die-hards that re-up and no one else. Raising support funds will also become harder. Good thing the Italy trip wasn't this upcoming season because extras like that are going to have a tough time being funded. Hurley had a lot of goodwill when he first came here and got several things that required additional investment - new locker rooms, new floor, overseas trip, and more charter flights. Dan will now face the reality of Kingston. The honeymoon is over and you must win to get more. It will be interesting to see if other talked about improvements (center scoreboard, ribbon message board) to the Ryan Center go forward now. I would not be surprised to see these put off until later in the future.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I will find out for sure, but the facility investments such as Scoreboard, Ribbon, etc wouldn't be affected by this season's on-court performance.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I will find out for sure, but the facility investments such as Scoreboard, Ribbon, etc wouldn't be affected by this season's on-court performance.
Where is the money coming from? I have got to think that money will become tighter given the failure on the court.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:I will find out for sure, but the facility investments such as Scoreboard, Ribbon, etc wouldn't be affected by this season's on-court performance.
Where is the money coming from? I have got to think that money will become tighter given the failure on the court.
I'm working to get more details, but upgrades this significant are done with Leerfield Sports, Global Spectrum, and URI working together. Paying for these big ticket items is probably something spread over multiple seasons.

What I'm saying is that whatever happened this year on the court and at the turnstile likely wasn't so significantly off their conservative estimates to prevent following through with these program/facility upgrades.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote:I think the Athletic Dept is going to find it increasingly difficult to sell tickets next year and raise funds for the program. I would expect the season ticket base to dip a bit. It will mainly be the real die-hards that re-up and no one else. Raising support funds will also become harder. Good thing the Italy trip wasn't this upcoming season because extras like that are going to have a tough time being funded. Hurley had a lot of goodwill when he first came here and got several things that required additional investment - new locker rooms, new floor, overseas trip, and more charter flights. Dan will now face the reality of Kingston. The honeymoon is over and you must win to get more. It will be interesting to see if other talked about improvements (center scoreboard, ribbon message board) to the Ryan Center go forward now. I would not be surprised to see these put off until later in the future.
Add raises for assistants to that list. And Thorr says he's trying to get charter flights for recruiting trips this summer. But I agree, at some point Hurley needs to produce before he puts his hand out again.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Charter flights for recruiting tris? Why? Am I missing something?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ryan Center tech enhancements are indeed continuing to track nicely. Specifics are not far away regarding upgrades approved for the upcoming offseason.

Confidence is high that Rhody Hoop fans will enjoy another round of audio and visual enhancements to their game-day experience next season.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

section(105) wrote:Charter flights for recruiting tris? Why? Am I missing something?
Thorr says it would make it possible for the staff to see more AAU games during the summer if they didn't have to rely on commercial flights.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
section(105) wrote:Charter flights for recruiting tris? Why? Am I missing something?
Thorr says it would make it possible for the staff to see more AAU games during the summer if they didn't have to rely on commercial flights.
Well that sounds like a worthy expense to me then.
0 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

saw this was blog post today from a guy (mark cuban) who has pretty much mastered the whole 'in-game experience' thing, and figured it would be relevant to post here. he wrote about his recent experience at moody coliseum, smu's new arena, and mentions a lot of what we have talked about here: keeping fans off of their phones, the t-shirt toss, in-game media, and the struggle to convince fans to go to games during disappointing seasons. one thing he did not mention, but thought it was interesting, was that they do serve beer at their games.

http://blogmaverick.com/2014/02/23/my-2 ... this-week/
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The blog post did not go unnoticed by URI Athletics Marketing
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Cuban leaves me impressed yet again.

I found the following quote especially relevant to this board:

"Online communities are like talk radio. The same 200 people call and participate in both."

The negativity and name calling on this board can take its toll on you. Nothing wrong with criticizing the team's play, but what I take issue with is how it's done. Usually, in an unconstructive way.

Fortunately, Cuban has taught me it's the same vocal complainers over and over again on this board and is not necessarily reflective of the entire fan base. Thank goodness for that.

If you bitched and bashed your coworkers and boss on a daily basis at work would it make you a good employee? Does it mean you care? Well it may show you care but certainly does not make you a good employee. And most likely you'd probably soon be fired.

Same goes for being a fan. Sure you can provide feedback and be critical, but think about how it is that you're giving that feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Has to be a way the day of a game to roam the dining halls and the memorial union a couple of hours before the game and pass out a few hundred tickets to students.. Make them more aware last minute and maybe they can bring others.. Any turnout of students is better than yesterdays...
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Build it and they will come....consistent winning....great in-game atmosphere....bringing in student-athletes who are a true part of the student and campus community and not perceived as paid athletes...and we will all.....students, alums, friends of the program.....will all have difficulty getting tickets.....what a great problem to have...go Rhody ........
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Very bad student turnout for Richmond game. Where was the Ruckus? We're not asking for huge numbers to attend - I think 500 additional students would have made a world of difference. Remember that the entire 201 section behind the north basket has a capacity of 250-270 seats. Going home on weekend or not this is not asking too much of those who remain on campus to attend the game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Going through the dining halls and Union won't do any good. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but in another thread someone mentioned that 50% of students go home on the weekends. I'm sure those of us that went to URI in the last 10-20 years can attest to that sounding about right. I worked in the Union and it would be a ghost town on the weekends. If you want to drum up increased attendance for weekend games you have to put in the time down the line instead of on campus.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

Last year dan and the staff gave away pizza and walked around taking to students trying to get support couple that with give aways at the game and not cups and t shirts and more kids will show up. For some students its a lack if knowing when games are which is no excuse. If players want that type of atmosphere they need to let students know. Saying it on. the radio is one thing but how many students are listening to the radio show.
0 x
Give me football or give me death
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Winning is all anyone cares about...win and they will come. Unfortunately for most of the last 15 years, every time they finally get peoples attention they lay an egg right in front of everyone. Then everyone goes home saying "nothings changed...we still suck", and you are back at square one again.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I agree that having the players engaged with the campus community is a great thing. I was speaking more to the idea of sweeping through campus a couple hours before a weekend game. Campus is dead on the weekends, especially in the morning. You might have luck partnering with the Mews or Rhody Joe's to run promotions to the down the line students for weekend games though. Having players in the Rams Den and the dining hall speaking to students during the week would probably be effective. Go around to every on campus residence before the season starts with schedule magnets and posters so students know who the players are and when the games are played would be a great idea as well. Have modified versions of the coaches show like are done at The Mews, and hold them on campus a couple times a year.

I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess one big difference between students today and students from earlier time periods, I would think that opposed to students in the past seeking things out, I think today students are more responsive to being approached. Call it a difference in how they were raised. I know my dad always told stories about all the neighborhood kids going out and finding their own baseball games or whatever. I grew up in the 80's, and by then most all of those type of activities were organized at the adult level, not by the kids themselves. And it seems activities for kids more and more are organized at the adult level. Today's students have been brought up in an environment where they weren't as responsible for organizing the activities, the activities were something they went to. If you want to increase student participation, you can't rely on what worked when we were students or before, you have to go with what draws now.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Isn't that what Rukus is for? Maybe some of us are old school. When we went to the game because our school was playing, win or lose. If we were bad, we gave it to the refs and the opposing team. We still showed up. Whatever. When we get good and ticket demand is huge, maybe we cut student alottment and make money for the program
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If a burger is involved, they will come...
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Winning will definitely help the problem, but the students as a whole pretty much suck at URI. No one seems to really care about any sport.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RhowdyRam02: I get what you're talking about, the technology and all, promos, etc., they're really good ideas. Then, for instance, why not text students about THEIR FREE TICKETS?????? Pick them up at the Ryan Center?? If there's an added incentive -- such as the free burger and drink -- great, if that's what it takes….
But you know what's interesting about this??? IT'S THE SAME STUFF WE GEEZERS HAVE BEEN ADDRESSING SINCE THIS THREAD AND ALL OTHERS LIKE IT HAVE APPEARED!!!!!!! CHECK THE OLDER THREADS……WE'VE THROWN OUT MORE GOOD IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS THAT URI DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO HIRE A CONSULTING FIRM!!!!!!!!!!!!! POINT IS, WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO, WE DID ALL THIS STUFF BEFORE!!!!!! ISN'T THERE A CREATIVE GRAY CELL AMONGST ALL THE UNDERGRADUATES IN KINGSTON????????????
:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I was so impressed with the number of students that were at Madness back in October. I got there and there was a line a mile long outside. And I was there early. Then I saw what was at the front of the line....burgers!!! I actually witnessed many students getting their burgers and turning right around and heading back to the dorms. But still, there were tons of students in Keaney that night, and it wasn't even a game. So, why were they there? It certainly wasn't because of winning. I'm not trying to be a smartass. I really would like to know why they were there. If I were in the marketing department, I certainly would like to know the answer to this also. Was the burger the biggest reason they were there? Anyone else in here that was at Madness can back me as to the number of students that were there. I've been to 7 or 8 games this year, and except for the PC game, there haven't been anywhere near the amount of students at any game as there was that night in October.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Billyboy, a lot of freshman and sophomores go to that event. It is really publicized on campus and they do a lot of promotion leading up the the event. Everyone knows about it, and its one of the first major events that happens on campus. I have gone every year because I love the basketball team, but mostly younger students are attending that whether they care about the team or not. I don't think the number of students at Madness correlates to the number of students that go to the games.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3 wrote:Billyboy, a lot of freshman and sophomores go to that event. It is really publicized on campus and they do a lot of promotion leading up the the event. Everyone knows about it, and its one of the first major events that happens on campus. I have gone every year because I love the basketball team, but mostly younger students are attending that whether they care about the team or not. I don't think the number of students at Madness correlates to the number of students that go to the games.
Maybe so, but I'm guessing the marketing department promotes this event so heavily to gain interest in the basketball program from the students, and have it carry over into the season. That part hasn't worked. My question is, if the students walk down from their dorms to attend a basketball event, why don't they walk from their dorms to attend a basketball game? Once again, not being a smartass, just looking for answers. Winning is a good answer, but like I said, it wasn't winning that got them to Madness.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Yeah, it is a good question. One answer could be is that the games really aren't that fun. I know its up to the students to stand up and make noise, but they need more direction. EZ Buckets can only do so much. If we had a fun atmosphere, instead of sitting students, its obvious the place will fill up.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

If the hype leading to the games was even comparable to madness with all the promotions and events that they had the week of madness more would attend. Not in the same amount that attend madness but more than right now. Players also have to be part of the student body in getting them out there. At madness last year they gave away the magnets with the schedule. some students dont know that gorhody is the athletic website. If the team went door to door the night before and told people there was a game the next day and to come support more might show up.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I remember seeing pics of the players at the frats and sororities. They did get out there before the season.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is there still a Cigar on campus? Do they write articles about the team or about the games?
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

I'm sorry to ruin this billyboy but students don't read the cigar but it is still on campus. They got out there before the season but they also have to do something during the season to keep the interest going
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rhody4012016 wrote:They got out there before the season but they also have to do something during the season to keep the interest going
This is exactly the problem...all the work that was done to generate interest went up in smoke as soon as they started stinking up the joint early on, and it got worse as it became apparent this was another lost season. The team has improved but they just got done losing something like 6 in row...that is not how you get meat in the seats. Win 6 in a row in conference, and there will be plenty of students (and others) is the seats. Win, and not only will more people come, but the atmosphere will improve "organically" (overused word) without needing gimmicks.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Next year folks, next year.

We are finally trending upward. With a couple more solid recruits, we should finally turn the corner next year into the upper half of the A10, with maybe 18-20 wins.

This will put more fannies in the seats all by itself.

Students and alumni included.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:
Rhody4012016 wrote:They got out there before the season but they also have to do something during the season to keep the interest going
This is exactly the problem...all the work that was done to generate interest went up in smoke as soon as they started stinking up the joint early on, and it got worse as it became apparent this was another lost season. The team has improved but they just got done losing something like 6 in row...that is not how you get meat in the seats. Win 6 in a row in conference, and there will be plenty of students (and others) is the seats. Win, and not only will more people come, but the atmosphere will improve "organically" (overused word) without needing gimmicks.
So, what you're basically saying is that we have fair weather fans.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't think that there will be much of a change in season ticket sales next year. The year after we accomplish something the count will increase. As ticket sales increase, the pressure to limit free student tickets will also increase. Athletics only wants students to fill empty seats, not those that they can sell. It is all about money NOW, not about cultivating future sales.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody4012016 wrote:I'm sorry to ruin this billyboy but students don't read the cigar but it is still on campus. They got out there before the season but they also have to do something during the season to keep the interest going
The Cigar went weekly this year, from, as I understand it, the continuing loss of ad revenue and staffing issues. I'm not sure if it's a permanent shift or not - It would be a shame if it was, since a university the size of URI should have a daily newspaper, or at least something that prints more than once a week.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:
rhodyfan3 wrote:Billyboy, a lot of freshman and sophomores go to that event. It is really publicized on campus and they do a lot of promotion leading up the the event. Everyone knows about it, and its one of the first major events that happens on campus. I have gone every year because I love the basketball team, but mostly younger students are attending that whether they care about the team or not. I don't think the number of students at Madness correlates to the number of students that go to the games.
Maybe so, but I'm guessing the marketing department promotes this event so heavily to gain interest in the basketball program from the students, and have it carry over into the season. That part hasn't worked. My question is, if the students walk down from their dorms to attend a basketball event, why don't they walk from their dorms to attend a basketball game? Once again, not being a smartass, just looking for answers. Winning is a good answer, but like I said, it wasn't winning that got them to Madness.
Typically in sports promotions, or even something like the WWE, there are three ways to get people in the building: 1) To provide winning teams / compelling storylines; 2) To give away free stuff; 3) To give away free tickets. Of those, the first is clearly the one that provides the biggest economic benefit, and if your team is a consistent winner but not selling out, it suggests something else is afoot. The second, you usually lose any revenue from people getting in the door from the stuff you're giving away, and the third, you're not getting the gate / ticker price. For both of them, if you're not winning, you're unlikely to convert most of the people to paying or regular customers.
0 x