Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Re: Game #21 -Dayton - Saturday, Jan. 25, 4pm

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

There are a few people from the mob last year that should be able to help him. If they give out flyers pregame with chants students should know what to say and do. The security guards stare at us every game like we are about to riot which doesn't help. I think here is one more student on this board who could help me out.
0 x
Give me football or give me death
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody4012016 wrote:There are a few people from the mob last year that should be able to help him. If they give out flyers pregame with chants students should know what to say and do. The security guards stare at us every game like we are about to riot which doesn't help. I think here is one more student on this board who could help me out.

Are you talking about the creepy looking "security guard" with the ponytail who sits at the visitor's bench? I feel like that guy would snap at someone for clapping too loud.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

As long as things said aren't obscene, the rentacops should just do their
jobs.
People are there to cheer. It isn't church.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Taylor Swift wrote:
Rhody4012016 wrote:There are a few people from the mob last year that should be able to help him. If they give out flyers pregame with chants students should know what to say and do. The security guards stare at us every game like we are about to riot which doesn't help. I think here is one more student on this board who could help me out.

Are you talking about the creepy looking "security guard" with the ponytail who sits at the visitor's bench? I feel like that guy would snap at someone for clapping too loud.

Yes that one and there is one behind the hoop that just stares.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

rhodyfan3 wrote:
Rhody4012016 wrote:EZ buckets needs someone else to help him get the students involved. If there are people in both sections as leaders then the chants will be more unified. Greeks got made fun of for going to the game and not cheering on URI confessions. The Umass game will be packed like the PC game.
Yes I agree. He can't do it alone. Maybe you can appoint some students who are outgoing with school pride that can help him get the student section going.
I do everything humanly possible to get the kids involved between my on court duties during timeouts.

Between pointing out and yelling at individual students/groups of friends for staring at their phones, starting chants up, and screaming myself hoarse taunting the opposing players and bench between whistles and during foul shots...I don't know what else can be done on my end.

We only seem to have 3 or 4 loud, passionate students that are there every game and maintain the "ruckus" we are striving for. If there were a couple more groups of friends that start coming regularly it would make a world of difference in the atmosphere...but they just aren't showing up.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'd like to give props to EZBuckets for his gesture to the little girl who sits behind me. Class act EZ. By the way, she is a pint size girl who cheers on everyplay. She urges every player at the free throw to make the shot. Yells DEFENSE when no one else is. And she is LOUD!!!!!
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

theblueram wrote:I'd like to give props to EZBuckets for his gesture to the little girl who sits behind me. Class act EZ. By the way, she is a pint size girl who cheers on everyplay. She urges every player at the free throw to make the shot. Yells DEFENSE when no one else is. And she is LOUD!!!!!
Aww man that little girl made my day! An usher mentioned her to me prior to the game and said she was a little firecracker in the stands and never catches any shirts or balls. I so just so happened to be sent to her section and was glad I was able to meet her and give her some new gear!
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

EZ could some of the people that sit in 101 come to 108. I know that some people who work at the ryan center are in fraternities why don't they ask their brothers to come and make noise? I know that one person who was prominent in the mob last year works there as well maybe he could have a way to help. If their is someone who could help you get us to cheer together it would work out better.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Rhody4012016 wrote:EZ could some of the people that sit in 101 come to 108. I know that some people who work at the ryan center are in fraternities why don't they ask their brothers to come and make noise? I know that one person who was prominent in the mob last year works there as well maybe he could have a way to help. If their is someone who could help you get us to cheer together it would work out better.
Another good idea. I've come over to 108 a few times to try to get things going but got met with some groans and resistance while 101 then turns into a church while I'm gone. I wish I could be in both places at once.

But you are absolutely right...I may bring up to the marketing guys about getting someone else on the other end to get the crowd going.

Next game I will head down there and see what I can get started.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I thought that's what CHEERLEADERS were for?
Have them shame the corpses in those sections to get off their fannies
and cheer.
Cheerleaders are peers, so it could be more effective than an outsider.
You know...LEAD the CHEERS.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Better yet, have large screen TV's showing the National broadcast of the games so the students can see during the game. Then they can actually see themselves on tv sitting on their asses and texting.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Can you throw out t-shirts during the other team's free throws?
If yes, can you make the t-shirts out of hemp?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

just point a fake camera at them and make them think they're on tv
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Declare Kingston a Sovereign Nation, lower the drinking age to 18, and have the Mews sponsor a keg party before each game????
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

BFC wrote:Can you throw out t-shirts during the other team's free throws?
If yes, can you make the t-shirts out of hemp?
Hemp?! We're trying to wake people up...not put them to sleep.
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

Is their a Ram this year and is he allowed to cheer and/or go on the court. Why not find a volunteer from the few vocal members of the ruckus and make him/her the Ram. Would definately be better than what we have in the suit now.
Maybe I missed it. Where were the cheerleaders and dance team for the Dayton game. You have high school cheerleaders for a game you know will have students in attendance.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, I ask, why can't cheerleaders actually LEAD THE CHEERS?
Instead of doing their pyramids and not much else.
Cheerleaders used to be cheering though the game, no just during timeouts,.
when nothing is being given away.
The Ram? Besides the Alex and Ani giveaway, does he have a function?
Never on the floor, never prompting the crowd. Bad enough it looks like the Lion King
and smells funky. DO SOMETHING!
Somebody down there should straighten roles out.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The Ram should be given a pass for one technical foul a year. On the most blatent non foul call by the refs, he should run and do a belly slide across the court with his middle fingers up.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody4012016 wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:

Yes that one and there is one behind the hoop that just stares.
Does that guy realize that this is a basketball game and not a Trappist Monk Convention?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

At one point I saw the Ram dancing near one of the tunnels and I thought that's right we have a mascot. Is there any reason why he's been so invisible? Is there a mascot union contract dispute? Is he culturally offensive?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Looking at that ram, it SHOULD stay out of sight.
Looks more like The Lion Queen.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Maybe the conference or the NCAAs has stipulated that mascots can't go on the court?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Maybe the conference or the NCAAs has stipulated that mascots can't go on the court?

If so, St. Joe's has never gotten that memo.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by RoadyJay »

We have an inexperienced and unorganized student section. The solution is to have a couple of Ruckus representatives who get it give visual cues to the other students. I think the vocal cues work sometimes but it's not enough. It may sound silly to have to hold up signs to get them to stand, chant, yell, or whatever... But this is what is needed. At least until this is engrained in the brains of all the Students and passed on to the next group of Ruckus.

We need more chants and gimmicks for sure

A few that I like or have seen or are standard....

When the opposing teams starting lineup is announced all students stand with backs turned to opposing bench and all have their own newspaper to hold up. When a player is introduced yell "Sucks!" after it. For example. ".... Chaz Williams". "Succkkkss!!" Saw this in Arizona and it was great

At start of game when any time opposing team has the ball the students, who remain standing, yell "boing" for every time the team bounces the ball, "pass" for each pass and "shot" for each shot until the team scores their first points. This is done at the start of 2nd half too. Also saw this in Arizona. Very funny and very distracting

Yelling "ooooohhhhhhhh" for entire opposing teams possession is a classic

De-fense

When team shoots free throws put hands in air to one side and move them to other side as he is shooting the ball. Again, distracting

Just standing up and generally making lots of noise at critical points in the game. Especially when we need a big defensive stop or when we go on a big run

These are just a few. There are many more, but you get my point. Get organized and creative. These types of chants or whatever you want to call them require organization and a select few to direct the rest of the students. I think this needs to be student led and they need to make signs and hold up these visual cues to the students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I wish URI would go back to the old Rhody the Ram.

The new one stinks, just a generic cookie cutter mascot. Not to mention they need to throw a new uniform on him and get some matching game shorts. Rhody's uniform is like 3 jersey's ago!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

The cameron crazies hand out sheets with the chants. Signs would work well to. I agree with Rod the cheerleaders should help start the cheers. There are local high schools that have the cheerleaders start the cheers.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You are right RJ. Creativity is what we need from the student body. Does the URI student body want to be described as boring, dull, apathetic, lacking creativity or does it want a more dynamic, knowledgeable, and "with it" vibe???

And Athletics Marketing has to have a broader vision than just making a big deal about a new name for the student group, and follows that up by doing absolutely nothing further. Giving away T-shirts and mugs is fine, but something more creative requires more brain power and hard work.

P.S. Bring back the parachute drop.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RoadyJay wrote:We have an inexperienced and unorganized student section….
No offense, Roadyjay, BUT --------- ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!?!? "….inexperienced and unorganized student section…" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This isn't the freakin' Rockettes, as everything has to be planned and choreographed!!!!!!!! IT'S AN EFFIN' BASKETBALL GAME!!! These are college students -- they have to be directed how to cheer for a team???????? If that's the case, make sure every-single-one-of-them gets an opposing team's T-shirt to wear at the game which'll probably inspire URI because they'll think that the other team's students travel to away games…
:oops: :lol: :o :lol: :oops: :lol: :o :lol: :oops: :o :lol: :oops:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiPyQxd--vQ
0 x
RhodeRule
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodeRule »

I agree about Rhody the Ram. Whoever is in the uniform must be comatose. No energy whatsoever. I miss the days of the old Rhody sliding down the stairs at Keaney and tossing the tire tube over the Hawk. Whoever the student was that was in the uniform new how to get the crowd going. This Rhody is sleep walking.

Nothing like duking it out with the Minuteman in the middle of the court!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This is the Rhody Ruckus Facebook page. There are 255 members. The last post was on Dec. 5th, the day of the PC game. The interest just isn't there.

https://www.facebook.com/RhodyRuckus?ref=br_tf
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Twitter is now more popular then facebook. They tweet alot. https://twitter.com/RhodyRuckus and their twitter has almost 1100 followers.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Rhody4012016 wrote:Twitter is now more popular then facebook. They tweet alot. https://twitter.com/RhodyRuckus and their twitter has almost 1100 followers.
Yeah, and how many follow the leader into the Ryan Center on game day???????????????????????????
Woooooooo-Hooooooooo………………...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When I was in the mob about 3 years ago it was great. Of course we had a 20 wins season. But we were right behind the away bench and we got into it pretty good. Doing the oooooo and yelling sucks after a player was introduced. The best was picking on their best player the entire night when he played and was on the bench.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hurley -- 'Because of where this conference is at, one or two recruiting classes won't get it done.' (Recruits) want to hear that it's a great atmosphere. That's what kids dream about playing in college basketball.' 'Another great class in here can continue the momentum. Our fans can help us do that. They've got to do their part.' #URI
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

I'm one of the dedicated few that actually create some ruckus on a game by game basis from the first row of section 102. It figures that the Dayton game (which I wasn't able to show up 1/2 hour early for like usual) was packed with the ever so quiet greeks. I got to sit up in the 300's and feel disconnected from the action. I wish more than anyone on this board that we had a killer student section. I watched a ton of college games growing up and was hoping that I'd get to be a part of some crazy student section in college. Students behind me have asked me before to sit down during games, which is utterly ridiculous. I don't get it sometimes. Have the rest of my peers ever seen a college game before where the students were quietly sitting down? Smh.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

If they EVER tell you to sit when you're in the designated student sections, your reply should be "YOU should be standing UP!".
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I was once asked by a fellow student to sit down during a football game. My reply was "Sure...at halftime." Keep fighting the good fight, and do your best to educate fellow members of the Ruckus on how real student sections work. My advice is start with the 12th Man at Texas A&M and work your way down from there.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Anyone remember the kilt man when the Ryan Center first opened who would run up and down the stairs of every section with a URI flag and waved it around...something as simple as that helps....As for the mascot, why doesn't he ever make it up to the 200 level of the student section and try and get them going
0 x
Clapton is God
gorhody89
ARD

Has anyone ever thought about moving the serious members of the mob or ruckus to the middle of the student section in the 200 level instead of putting them on an island in 103
0 x
Clapton is God
gorhody89
ARD

Has anyone at the university ever thought about having a bus pick up off campus students in eastward look and bring them to and from the game...
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This has gone almost without comment.

WHAT ABOUT CHEERLEADERS LEADING THE CHEERS?
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

It's been my experience that fan enthusiasm correlates with on court success, especially at URI. The better our team is, the more passionate the fan base gets. It's hard to get people excited for a .500 team unfortunately.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

To student fans. Winning is 90% of their reason for coming. Beleive me.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

The ram definitely needs to be more active besides waving to little kids. Whoever is in charge of that stuff needs to wake up
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Two recurring thoughts:
-- Win and the world wins with you, lose and you lose alone.
-- There was a good reason for the NFL blackout rule. Until we're consistently drawing 7,000 or more a game, televising home games is counter-productive.

Why should students shlep down the hill in sub-freezing temperatures when they can sit in the comfort of their dorms watching the game on television? Offer them something they can't get on television. Little Red, now a junior at UConn, reports that after women's games (yes, the same team that has won eight national championships) UConn holds raffles for students and gives away lots of stuff and Geno Auriemma sometimes goes up and talks to them. Comparatively we're still in the days of Bill Bowers giving away a 12-pack of soda.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

I have never read so many lame excuses for the perpetual sorry-ass-lack-of-student-participation, and "Did anyone at the University ever think(?????)….. BLAH-BLAH-BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH."
C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doesn't anyone ever do things on their own or ARE YOU SHEEP?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
OR ARE YOU RAMS?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

gorhody89 wrote:Anyone remember the kilt man when the Ryan Center first opened who would run up and down the stairs of every section with a URI flag and waved it around...something as simple as that helps....As for the mascot, why doesn't he ever make it up to the 200 level of the student section and try and get them going

I was JUST thinking of the kilt man. That's what we need. Can the cheerleaders not do that, or do we think there is a student capable of this responsibility? The Ram looks completely comatose and is usually standing with his arms crossed somewhere near the student section. The most action he does during the game is the Alex & Ani Sweetheart of the Game --- whoopdie doo.

I get that winning more games will bring more students to the game, but seriously now. Half the students that show up are sitting there like they're in some boring lecture at 8AM on a Friday morning. Is that how we watch basketball? I think my 65 year old mother is more excited about the games than some of these students!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm with Red on this.
I don't know what the Cox package is paying them,
but I feel they're giving away the product.
It's too easy for people to sit at home for free, instead of spending
$25.00 on a ticket and going out in the cold to catch a game.
As for the comatose students, we had the best game of the season and
they were there. So the,"we aren't a winning team" doesn't hold water
for the people who were in the seats Saturday.
I guess texting is more important than a real life event happening right
in front of you.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

gorhody89 wrote:Has anyone ever thought about moving the serious members of the mob or ruckus to the middle of the student section in the 200 level instead of putting them on an island in 103
The @RhodyRuckus twitter account is taking suggestions from people if you want to voice some of your opinions.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I suggested a new chant. Something longer than rhody rhody rhody. A long song or chant keeps the crowd involved more
0 x
GO RAMS