'19 NC PF - Greg Gantt (PC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

'19 NC PF - Greg Gantt (PC)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Greg Gantt - PF
School: Trinity Christian (NC)
Travel/AAU: Team Felton

Ht: 6'8"
Wt: 195

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 4 Stars, #65 in 2019
247 Sports: 4 Stars, 95 Grade, #58 in 2019, #15 SF
Future 150: 3 Stars

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Charlotte
Cincinnati
DePaul
Florida
Old Dominion
Pitt
PC
UConn
VCU
Virginia Tech
Xavier

INTEREST:
NC State

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ntt-199137
https://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Gantt-45572930
https://future150.com/hs/basketball-pro ... le-nc-2019
https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/greg-gantt-jr
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Re: '19 NC PF - Greg Gantt (Offer)

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

We still on this player?

New video:

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I know Hurley has been recruiting him at UCONN, but that UCONN was recruiting Gantt pre-Hurley. Not sure who the contact was at URI for Gantt.

Rivals 4/21: Rivals #55, ****, "A long and active four man with athleticism, Gantt drew a big crowd. Among those Rivals.com saw watching Gantt were Virginia Tech (Buzz Williams, plus an assistant), Clemson, Providence (Ed Cooley, plus an assistant), Louisville, Tennessee, North Carolina, Connecticut (Danny Hurley) and Charlotte (Ron Sanchez)"...
https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/live-p ... e-watching
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Toe to toe with PC and uConn for talent is the once and future norm

Repeating myself again.....

Mandatory we win some of these
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We are not on his final 9 list
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: '19 NC PF - Greg Gantt (PC)

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Always nice to get the commitment before the official. How many open spots are they anticipating having?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ace wrote:Always nice to get the commitment before the official. How many open spots are they anticipating having?
PC had 3 open scholarships which is down to 2. Landing Gantt should allow most of the focus going forward on Akok.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Thanks. I’m not sure Akok gets away from Syracuse, but there are a bunch of current Friars who know him and can assist Cooley in making a good case.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Re: '19 NC PF - Greg Gantt (PC Commit)

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Wow. GREAT get for Cooley. Congrats, RJ.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I didn't even know that URI offered Gantt. There are so many offers thrown out by every school. An offer is almost meaningless.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

:roll:
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Cooley has that PC program running on all cylinders right now.
Last edited by STC 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we’re being realistic and honest, it’s going to be near impossible for this program to be the top program in the state, nevermind NE, like a lot of posters seem to think we can get to. PC is on fire right now and does not seem to be slowing down.
1 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Cooley needs to take the next progression in his career ... He's been to 5 straight tournaments and won plenty of high-profile recruiting battles and regular season/conference tournament games, but it's time for those to become NCAA Tournament victories. He's had some bad luck with eligibility, injuries, transfers, and professional opportunities, but it's time for the program to go on a run. The talent is there.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I want us to be the top program in NE......but I realize our limitations.....hopefully Coach Cox approaches the level Coach Cooley has....perennial NCAA tournaments and the recruitment of top 100 players...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote:If we’re being realistic and honest, it’s going to be near impossible for this program to be the top program in the state, nevermind NE, like a lot of posters seem to think we can get to. PC is on fire right now and does not seem to be slowing down.
The last 2 years we have been the best program in NE and the state. So it can be done. But no doubt Cooley is doing a helluva job. Agree with RJ that he needs to cross that next hurdle.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Agreed. He’s had a lot of success in his 12 years as an NCAA head coach. But, there’s just that one tournament win in 7 years/5 tournaments at PC. When 60-70% of the conference now makes it to the tournament, just getting there is not enough.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah agree with that also ,he is getting it done on the recruiting front but it needs to translate into wins in the dance bottom line business baby
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And as to the best team in the state, URI can be that in any given year, but it’s almost like they’re playing two different games.

PC has all the recruiting advantages, with conference and resources. URI, as they have been recently, has to be even smarter with their recruiting- get the occasional top 100 guys, maybe 2 in 3 years, and then supplement with guys that are just a little bit undervalued.

Cooley needs to put together, at minimum, a decent BE team, and they’re in the tournament. The conference is so good and competitive. I think his best conference record is something like 11-7.

URI needs to consistently recruit, schedule, and win at an elite level relative to their conference, but with all the limitations of that conference, to make tournaments. It might have been a bit of an outlier, but we saw Bonaventure win the freaking conference and still not make the tournament because of OOC scheduling.

Regardless of all that, coming off of two straight tournaments and two tournament wins, with a strong recruiting class and record revenues in 17-18, they’re set up for continued success. Keep it going,
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am probably in the minority but I don’t count 2017 for PC. They lost in the play in game. So they didn’t make it into the field of 64.

I do think Cooley recruits well. Need to see him make a few Sweet 16s before saying URI can’t pass them as the best team.
Also, Cooley could have one more coaching move to a top P5 and that would change everything.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I think if Cooley goes it is to the NBA
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

To be honest, since 1990, URI has more NCAAT wins than pc.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

If he goes to the NBA it will be as a water boy. He is terrible with the x's and o's. He really likes the camera but off camera his f-bombs are really something. The school is so two-faced it is pitiful. Quite often the school President sits right behind the bench but Cooley does not let up with his f-bombs. Being a nice Catholic school one would think Cooley would have the decency to clean up his act in front of the President.
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

eli#10 wrote:If he goes to the NBA it will be as a water boy. He is terrible with the x's and o's. He really likes the camera but off camera his f-bombs are really something. The school is so two-faced it is pitiful. Quite often the school President sits right behind the bench but Cooley does not let up with his f-bombs. Being a nice Catholic school one would think Cooley would have the decency to clean up his act in front of the President.
Lol. Nobody cares about the f word. It’s 2018. I agree that they haven’t done anything in the tournament, but this post is just weird.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So another one and done for pc?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cools had it all over DH when it came to head to head but most important URI 2-1 in NCAAT wins which is a bit more important
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ramulous wrote:I think if Cooley goes it is to the NBA
One of my PC fan friends said the same thing to me in the spring. I have to say...I don’t see it. Cooley is an excellent college coach and is not exceptionally bad in-game, but I don’t see his appeal as an NBA coach. 90% of his value is recruiting and ra-ra stuff, which wouldn’t be worth anything at the next level.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Mutual friends of ours have told me that Cooley loves being the coach at providence.....he is unlikely to go to another college....but in the future if his star rises he would like to try the NBA....

....I was not stating that I think he is headed there for sure....just that he won't jump to another college....

.....and nobody drops more f-bombs than me....so there's that....
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

reef wrote:Cools had it all over DH when it came to head to head but most important URI 2-1 in NCAAT wins which is a bit more important
Sure, but there are wins that go beyond the numbers.
Cooley was instrumentally in getting the Ruane Development Center funded and built.
That state-of-the-art practice facility was part of a near $40 million project that will be opening up this fall.
That goes with all of the other program benefits Cooley has been able to get for the program through his winning.
Hopefully that's where some of the "useless" (my words) regular season wins can help consistently landing this Top 50/Top 75 talent.

Cooley has definitely had some bad luck, which is illustrated partially in the numbers when it comes to depth ...
He's pretty much had multiple player issues with every recruiting class he's had --
whether it was 2012 with Ledo being ineligible, Dunn missing 1.5 of his first two seasons, and Fortune surprisingly transferring after his sophomore season...
2013 with Rodney Bullock and Top 40 player Brandon Austin being suspended (Austin transferring) with Bullock tearing his ACL and missing the next season...
2014 where he saw Paschal Chukwu mysteriously late transfer after his freshmen year and lost Bentil a year later to a poor decision to go pro...
2015 having a poor recruiting class that was supposed to be anchored by Top 100 big Alex Owens, who never made it to school due to test scores....
Even last year took a big hit with Emmitt Holt missing the entire season with an abdominal injury.

I think this has led to PC having strong starting cores that can get hot and go on a run, but the tournament is often about surprising depth players who rise during foul trouble ...
It's Stanford Robinson getting hot against Oregon, or Fatts' unbelievable play against Oklahoma.
4 of PC's 5 NCAA losses were against teams that were deeper than them and could dominate them with size (UNC x2, USC, and Texas A&M).
The only truly horrific loss in the lot was to Dayton, where they matched up with size/depth but just played like shit.

Cooley right now is building that deep roster capable of making a great run, it's just young now and he has to bust his ass to keep it in tact.
But the core of his elite potential are all freshmen and sophomores.
The only key upperclassmen next year are Diallo (JR) and Holt (SR). They might rely on Isaiah Jackson (SR) or Maliek White (JR), but there are other supporting pieces who could step in if needed.
This should be the group to make that 2nd weekend run.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Cooley has built up a lot of well-deserved good will with rebuilding the program and making them relevant, so PC fans seems fairly accepting of the tournament losses. In sports, there’s a story behind every win or loss. Every team in the country has had “bad luck” and injuries, and taking into consideration a recruit’s likely eligibility and making sure you know exactly who you’re recruiting is not necessarily a factor of luck.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ace wrote:Every team in the country has had “bad luck” and injuries, and taking into consideration a recruit’s likely eligibility and making sure you know exactly who you’re recruiting is not necessarily a factor of luck.
Sure, I mean you could claim that Cooley should have anticipated Ricky Ledo's or Alex Owens eligibility issues.
But there is no way to anticipate that Kris Dunn is going to injure his shoulder prior to his freshmen season, and miss the 1st half of that season and almost his entire second season with separate shoulder injuries.
There is no way to anticipate that both members of your class of 2013 are going to get caught up in a sexual misconduct situation unless they have prior criminal histories.
The 2014 team that lost to UNC as an 11 seed missed 2 starters that season as a result, between PG - Dunn and SF - Austin. It's unclear if Bullock would have had a role on that roster.
The 2015 team was expected that Bullock would have had a key role as well as Josh Fortune, so those were some big blows to a team that still got a 6 seed in the tournament.
The 2016 team likely would have had Chukwu starting at center and Bentil at PF. That team had depth issues in the frontcourt that cost it key games in the BET against Villanova and against UNC in the tournament.
The 2017 should have had Bentil on it, again costing the team a much higher ceiling.
And the 2018 really missed on having Holt from what could have been a high ceiling.
If you want to tell me that "tough-luck" transfers are a part of the college game now, that I'll at least agree to.
But there were other decisions in there that the coach really can't predict or forecast.
You want to tell me little injuries here or there, I would agree to that as well.
But you say every team has had "bad luck" -- URI did have bad luck when EC tore up his knee.
And they have had a lot of little nagging injuries.
But I think you would say the last two seasons, they had the core of their roster in tact in March.
Maybe not fully healthy, but in tact.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree with Ace and with most of RJ’s post.
A few things on RJs
Outside of the practice facility the improvements have benefited significantly from the BE TV contract of $4 million/year and the BE money from the Tournament.
Many teams’ starting lineups are made up of 2-3 upperclassmen and 2 Fr/Soph. If Holt is healthy, PC’s best two players by far will be a Jr & Sr. They will also start another Sr in Jackson and White will be part of the rotation. I agree they have good underclassmen.

Remember MAL was one of the two star recruits last year and struggled to adjust.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC had three Seniors in their top 4 players last year. Not exactly a depleted roster.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:I agree with Ace and with most of RJ’s post.
A few things on RJs
Outside of the practice facility the improvements have benefited significantly from the BE TV contract of $4 million/year and the BE money from the Tournament.
Many teams’ starting lineups are made up of 2-3 upperclassmen and 2 Fr/Soph. If Holt is healthy, PC’s best two players by far will be a Jr & Sr. They will also start another Sr in Jackson and White will be part of the rotation. I agree they have good underclassmen.

Remember MAL was one of the two star recruits last year and struggled to adjust.
For sure, but I think 1) PC was always getting BE tournament units before, probably even more so than now. In 2009 for example, the Big East had 24 units. Now those units were split among more teams (16), but I don't think the league is performing drastically better to take advantage of so many more additional units. 2) The TV money helps, but a lot of that has gone to Cooley. The remaining BE schools have to forfeit a big chunk of money to make the move possible in 2013 -- each school gave up about $14 million in earned fees, NCAA units, etc.

I think what has helped more than anything is that winning has led to increased donations. PC has increased it's revenue drastically YOY in this regard. In 2011-2012, PC raised $3.6 million for it's Friar Forever Fund. Increasing every year, 2016-2017 received $6.5 million. That's helped renovate Schneider, build Ruane, etc.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:PC had three Seniors in their top 4 players last year. Not exactly a depleted roster.
Sure, but they really missed Holt a lot last season. Watson and Young would occasionally flash, but neither should have been more than a reserve role. It took them a long time to find their groove last year, and then even in the tournament, they had to face one of the biggest opponents out there in Texas A&M. Watson and Young had 7 combined fouls in 35 minutes, and Watson had just started to grow into a bigger role so the drop-off from him to Young was noticeable. The trickle down also hurt, as increased foul trouble often put Rodney Bullock in a place where he was forced to defend bigger, stronger opponents, making him vulnerable to foul trouble at times. You can win regular season games with lighter whistles, but winning tournament games without proper depth when often teams are accumulating 20+ fouls in a game is tough.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unless you are the coach of Duke or Kentucky there is always a job out there that is appealing. Cooley is no different. Have it from a good source that he was livid he didn’t get interviewed for the BC job when it went to Christian and he would have strongly considered it. Never underestimate ego and ambition when it comes to HM coaches, their is always another challenge.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bigappleram wrote:Unless you are the coach of Duke or Kentucky there is always a job out there that is appealing. Cooley is no different. Have it from a good source that he was livid he didn’t get interviewed for the BC job when it went to Christian and he would have strongly considered it. Never underestimate ego and ambition when it comes to HM coaches, their is always another challenge.
I have a hard time believing he would have any interest in the BC job especially after what they did to his mentor Al Skinner. BC cares about hockey And football even if they had not done what they did to Al I find it hard to believe he would have any interest there. BTW Christian has done a very good job there. I wonder if he thought about the uri job when it opened.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I was kinda surprised as well, for a lot of the reasons you say. But making millions, living in boston and playing duke and unc every year prob has some allure. Never underestimate the ego and hubris of college coaches. It defies logic at times. That info came from someone on his staff at the time, it’s not conjecture. Again never said he would have taken it, just was pissed he didn’t get called/interviewed.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote:I was kinda surprised as well, for a lot of the reasons you say. But making millions, living in boston and playing duke and unc every year prob has some allure. Never underestimate the ego and hubris of college coaches. It defies logic at times. That info came from someone on his staff at the time, it’s not conjecture. Again never said he would have taken it, just was pissed he didn’t get called/interviewed.
If you want to be interviewed you have your agent reach out. Easy as that.
If Ed interviewed was he ready to deal with the blow back from PC fans if he didn't end up leaving?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ace wrote:Every team in the country has had “bad luck” and injuries, and taking into consideration a recruit’s likely eligibility and making sure you know exactly who you’re recruiting is not necessarily a factor of luck.
Sure, I mean you could claim that Cooley should have anticipated Ricky Ledo's or Alex Owens eligibility issues.
But there is no way to anticipate that Kris Dunn is going to injure his shoulder prior to his freshmen season, and miss the 1st half of that season and almost his entire second season with separate shoulder injuries.
There is no way to anticipate that both members of your class of 2013 are going to get caught up in a sexual misconduct situation unless they have prior criminal histories.
The 2014 team that lost to UNC as an 11 seed missed 2 starters that season as a result, between PG - Dunn and SF - Austin. It's unclear if Bullock would have had a role on that roster.
The 2015 team was expected that Bullock would have had a key role as well as Josh Fortune, so those were some big blows to a team that still got a 6 seed in the tournament.
The 2016 team likely would have had Chukwu starting at center and Bentil at PF. That team had depth issues in the frontcourt that cost it key games in the BET against Villanova and against UNC in the tournament.
The 2017 should have had Bentil on it, again costing the team a much higher ceiling.
And the 2018 really missed on having Holt from what could have been a high ceiling.
If you want to tell me that "tough-luck" transfers are a part of the college game now, that I'll at least agree to.
But there were other decisions in there that the coach really can't predict or forecast.
You want to tell me little injuries here or there, I would agree to that as well.
But you say every team has had "bad luck" -- URI did have bad luck when EC tore up his knee.
And they have had a lot of little nagging injuries.
But I think you would say the last two seasons, they had the core of their roster in tact in March.
Maybe not fully healthy, but in tact.
Of your long list of "bad" luck here the only one that was truly bad luck was Dunn and Holt, and everyone has injuries. As you say, EC's injury blew up URI's season. And the impact of Holt's injury has been way overblown.
Transfers happen and, in the case of Chukwu and Fortune, that reflects on Cooley.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:I was kinda surprised as well, for a lot of the reasons you say. But making millions, living in boston and playing duke and unc every year prob has some allure. Never underestimate the ego and hubris of college coaches. It defies logic at times. That info came from someone on his staff at the time, it’s not conjecture. Again never said he would have taken it, just was pissed he didn’t get called/interviewed.
If you want to be interviewed you have your agent reach out. Easy as that.
If Ed interviewed was he ready to deal with the blow back from PC fans if he didn't end up leaving?
What was the blow back from URI fans on Dan interviewing with Rutgers? I'm not sure these guys care about that, they can always say it was informational, or the interest wasn't reciprocal, or its part of the business yada yada yada.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Because PC fans believe Cooley will never leave the hometown job. And it be one thing if interviewed at a big time program but BC?
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Because PC fans believe Cooley will never leave the hometown job. And it be one thing if interviewed at a big time program but BC?
Not saying Cooley will never leave PC but if he were to it will be for a job that is a lot better then BC . Which is probably the 4th most desirable job in New England alone.
1 x