What should URI MBB do with last Scholarship for 2018 Class?

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.

What should URI MBB do with the last Scholarship for 2018 Class?

Seek to sign best possible player for a guard position by November signing period
2%
Seek to sign best possible player for a forward or center position by November signing period
2%
Seek to sign the best available player by November signing period
5%
Hold open to sign 4 star or above Freshman player during the entire recruiting season (through May 2018)
5%
Hold open to sign 4 star or above quality 5th year during entire recruiting season (through May 2018)
19%
Hold open to sign 4 star or above quality Transfer during entire recruiting season (through May 2018)
14%
Hold open for 4 star Freshman, 5th year or Transfer during entire recruiting season (through May 2018)
40%
Other
14%

Total votes: 43

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Re: What should URI MBB do with last Scholarship for 2018 Class?

Unread post by wgracie99 »

There is no rush so hold out for best player of any kind (freshman/juco/5th year senior). Best case I believe is 5th year senior big man to provide some experience and possible leadership to next years young group. Then they can have that scholarship again the year after to get a real good 4 year kid.
3 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

wgracie99 wrote:There is no rush so hold out for best player of any kind (freshman/juco/5th year senior). Best case I believe is 5th year senior big man to provide some experience and possible leadership to next years young group. Then they can have that scholarship again the year after to get a real good 4 year kid.
I don't think there is a need for a 5th Year senior big in this recruiting cycle. There will be plenty of experience in next year's front court (provided no transfers).

You will have: Langevine, Akele, Preston, Layssard, and Tertsea. That's 2 seniors (Akele/Preston), 2 Juniors (Langevine/Layssard) and a RS Sophomore (Tertsea). Of those players, you have 3 guys who likely will have played major minutes (Langevine/Akele/Preston) and 2 guys who you hope will be ready to take on more minutes (Layssard/Tertsea).

Throw in Jermaine Harris and Dana Tate and you have 7 guys who can play in the front court for two spots.
2 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
wgracie99 wrote:There is no rush so hold out for best player of any kind (freshman/juco/5th year senior). Best case I believe is 5th year senior big man to provide some experience and possible leadership to next years young group. Then they can have that scholarship again the year after to get a real good 4 year kid.
I don't think there is a need for a 5th Year senior big in this recruiting cycle. There will be plenty of experience in next year's front court (provided no transfers).

You will have: Langevine, Akele, Preston, Layssard, and Tertsea. That's 2 seniors (Akele/Preston), 2 Juniors (Langevine/Layssard) and a RS Sophomore (Tertsea). Of those players, you have 3 guys who likely will have played major minutes (Langevine/Akele/Preston) and 2 guys who you hope will be ready to take on more minutes (Layssard/Tertsea).

Throw in Jermaine Harris and Dana Tate and you have 7 guys who can play in the front court for two spots.
I'm hoping Layssard and Tertsea can take on bigger roles next year but I will need to be convinced of that this year. Again hope that is the case because if they take a good sized jump this year we will be looking really good by March. Akele is what he is, a 5-10 min decent player (just not aggressive enough). Preston is the guy I want to see and is my prediction to get the most "big guy" minutes after Langevine and Berry (maybe more than Berry).
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Ive hoped today that there is a front court guy that has the light come on this year. Entirely reasonable that it happens.

Nobody saw Dowtin coming. He was dominant.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Ive hoped today that there is a front court guy that has the light come on this year. Entirely reasonable that it happens.

Last year this time Hurley was talking up Dowtin after he had a very good summer. Dan is not talking up Layssard and Tertsea. Koch doesn't seem to think they'll get many minutes. Blue Ribbon, which takes the lead from the coach, says they might see spot minutes. Layssard is behing Akele and Preston; Tertsea is behind Cyril and Berry.
I would use the fifth scholarship on a big.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think that we will have another opening for 2018....one of the above 2 will leave after this season....

so get another big thank you.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Ive hoped today that there is a front court guy that has the light come on this year. Entirely reasonable that it happens.

Last year this time Hurley was talking up Dowtin after he had a very good summer. Dan is not talking up Layssard and Tertsea. Koch doesn't seem to think they'll get many minutes. Blue Ribbon, which takes the lead from the coach, says they might see spot minutes. Layssard is behing Akele and Preston; Tertsea is behind Cyril and Berry.
I would use the fifth scholarship on a big.
I wonder who this refers to? Would think it means Layssard or Tertsea. I wonder if he thinks we need another big at this point.

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Think he is referring to both above, I wouldn't expect either to log many minutes this year. Tertsea is a redshirt frosh and showing improvements from reports and you can't teach his size. Lysard, certain fans like but can he crack through into the rotation is a huge question mark.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Shaolin Swat wrote:

Man you are so spot on with this post!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No way Tertsea or Laysard crack the rotation we are too deep
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Players who sit two years in a row often leave.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Berry.

Hes sat for two years except for the handful of times he was thrusted into service and DOMINATED.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Somebody like Tertsea might not have any aspirations to play basketball professionally. He might love his academic program and just love URI in general. Why would someone like that leave? I have no idea if that's his case. Just a thought. Some people are happy with a free education and a degree.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

we don't need another recruit ---moving the schoolie to the 2019 recruiting season helps balance the classes

its difficult to find playing time for 13 players;there's only 1 ball on the court
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Berry.

Hes sat for two years except for the handful of times he was thrusted into service and DOMINATED.
Players that sit their Fr and Soph year and have recruits coming in over them (Harris) tend to leave.
Berry was going into his Sr year. Seniors don’t transfer.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Any time URI can get a high rated 3 star or 4 star big man they should. Dan has proven he can recruit quality Gs and SFs every year. The shortage in recruits in all of college and challenge for URI is quality PF/C.
We don’t need any more recruits at the Tertsea and Laysard level. The bar has been raised with Cyril, Harris, Preston & Tate.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:Any time URI can get a high rated 3 star or 4 star big man they should. Dan has proven he can recruit quality Gs and SFs every year. The shortage in recruits in all of college and challenge for URI is quality PF/C.
We don’t need any more recruits at the Tertsea and Laysard level. The bar has been raised with Cyril, Harris, Preston & Tate.
and Russell last year
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:Any time URI can get a high rated 3 star or 4 star big man they should. Dan has proven he can recruit quality Gs and SFs every year. The shortage in recruits in all of college and challenge for URI is quality PF/C.
But Tertsea and Layssard were both 3* recruits.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I would go after a 5th year wing scorer. We are losing most of our offensive output from the wing and there may be a void for a year until the young guys develop. I don’t think you can assume that Russell Thompson and Adams will pick up the scoring load to help Dowtin.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote:

Players that sit their Fr and Soph year and have recruits coming in over them (Harris) tend to leave.
Iffy. The Canadian murderer we had transfer here. Four McGlynn.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

Four and Bigby were grad transfers, which are very common. Transferring to sit out a year to play just one year is rare. Onyekaba quit basketball.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Four and Bigby were grad transfers, which are very common. Transferring to sit out a year to play just one year is rare. Onyekaba quit basketball.
Exactly
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Anyone hear anything about the fifth schlorship? Are we actively recruiting or just waiting to see what develops?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

KevanBoyles wrote:Anyone hear anything about the fifth schlorship? Are we actively recruiting or just waiting to see what develops?
With no inside knowledge, I would assume they are waiting for either a high level transfer or freshmen once coaching changes are made in April to come free and they can pounce with their available opening and track record of success now. This makes sense for a program that is trying to stay in the top 30-40 nationally, need to take advantage of other people’s missteps.

Lyssard is going to have a decision to make in the offseason as well, would surprise anybody here if another schlorship opened up.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see either Layssard or Tertsea transfer.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah or they are at risk for being 4 year bench warmers ??
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Best available athletic big
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ram1980 wrote:Best available athletic big
Yes, and designate it as the Rodfromcranston Memorial Scholarship.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Tertsea should stay, hopefully hes developing as scheduled. You can't really make a good judgement off the 2 minutes he plays every month, but we sure can use his size the next few seasons.
1 x
GO RAMS
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I’d like to see them add a 5th year wing scorer. I am pretty sure I’m alone in that opinion but we are losing EC JT and SR, so a fifth year guy would fill in the gap while the young guys develop, and keep the scollie open the following year
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I think that is the role Thompson is supposed to play next year along with Adams, Martin and Tate.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

but I can see your point ....
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

roll it over to '19 and space the classes out a bit. 5 in/out is not a good thing to have continue
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---