Best Recruiting Class in History ?

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Best Recruiting Class in History ?

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hadn't thought of that Ramulous....but in the short term at least, those schools that lose coaches will likely lose more than just their coaches...as in loss of schollys, post season play, etc.

Some of those programs will have to be rebuilt...and I don't think Dan wants any part of that for now at least.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BTW, Archie Miller has one of the top recruiting classes in the country at Indiana. I don't see him failing.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Archie is destined to succeed, just like Dan is. It's part of their DNA and pedigree. That is what made Dan so attractive as a candidate, even with a limited body of work at the college coaching level.

Blue Man's post is a good one and completely on point, even more granular, someone like Jermaine Harris is a recruit that can keep DH here for longer. It proves he can score a high level big he needs to compete against the big boys, after all we know that is what he wants to do. On top of that, a class like this becomes a hallmark for him, and with his well known loyalty traits adds more connectivity that will be hard to walk away from.
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I personally do not think this class means anything in terms of Hurley staying. I do however think it now pushes Cox much closer to being a serious option to replace Hurley when he ultimately moves on.

If anyone could keep this class, and guys currently on the team from leaving IMO it'd be Cox.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Didn't Cox scout the last nine games of the season last year?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Dre3000 wrote:I personally do not think this class means anything in terms of Hurley staying. I do however think it now pushes Cox much closer to being a serious option to replace Hurley when he ultimately moves on.

If anyone could keep this class, and guys currently on the team from leaving IMO it'd be Cox.
Respectfully disagree. Dan struggled to move on from Wagner because of the relationship he built with kids after 2 years. He said he ultimately left because he won 25 games and couldn't get a dance invite.

With all he's invested in this program, and these recruits, him moving on is even harder. He said to Thorr, "you deserve to be here when we're good" - you don't think he wants the same for himself?

If we're going to be bringing in top 25 recruiting classes, more often then not we're going to find ourselves ranked in the top 25. That's a pretty solid indication of a good, winning team that will be a fixture in March.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but he's not Bobby. He's not taking a P5 job anywhere in the country. If he does ever leave it will be for a mid-atlantic or northeast located blue blood, who's coach retired with a good program in place, not another rebuild or "return to glory" situation. Dan is done losing. He had done it for most of his NCAA head coaching career. He'll stay as long as coaching and winning are made easier for him here.

Classes like this all but assure that.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, as long as the school does enough to keep him here....there needs to be the reward, the payoff, for bringing this program to a better place and keeping it there.

Works both ways. And I mean not just his payoff...the entire program.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If anyone leaves after this season, it will probably be Cox. I can see a midmajor going after him.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74 wrote:If anyone leaves after this season, it will probably be Cox. I can see a midmajor going after him.
I think Hurley is gone after this season and Cox assumes the HC job. I think this will be just like the VCU coaching tree.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI needs to bump Cox up, substantially. If they drag their feet, which they've done many times in the past, he's likely gone.

I don't agree Dan leaves after this season.....of course there's a chance but I don't see it.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:If anyone leaves after this season, it will probably be Cox. I can see a midmajor going after him.
I think Hurley is gone after this season and Cox assumes the HC job. I think this will be just like the VCU coaching tree.

I would have to disagree. VCU made a final four before Shaka left. If we make the NCAA this year, and provide a nice contract for Dan going forward, I think he stays.
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I think Hurley only leaves for a handful opportunities if they open and come calling. Programs like Cuse, UConn ect could be too much to pass up, but other than those type of situations it would be hard to leave what he's built here and the partnership he has with Thorr. I agree that Cox is more likely to leave next year because after the 4 recruits he pulled in this year as the lead recruiter, he's going to get some HC offers IMO. Hope he stays and URI gives him as many reasons to stay that can offer. Make sure we keep those donations going even if it seems small, it what helps keep this momentum going and who knows where this goes. Every major BB program has a period and coach that brought the program to the next level, this seems like our time and period..

Go Rhody!!!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
That's what I'm talking about. Great article Bill!!!!!!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do think DH is here for the long haul though there are a few opportunities that he would consider if they open up . I think he feels he can own this conf and consistently get us to the Sweet 16
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote:
LOFUCKINGL
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote:
I don't think so. He is building a strong foundation here. He has had assistant coaches move on to greener pastures, Preston Murphy to Boston College then Creighton, Bobby Hurley to Buffalo then Arizona State, Luke Murray to Xavier.........more movement of assistant Coaches in his time here than his predecessor had in 11 years. Cox will certainly move on too and a solid replacement will fill in.
I'm with Blueman, Hurley is not going anywhere soon. Relax and Enjoy the ride.,

BTW, FWIW,
This Hurley Coaching discussion belongs somewhere else besides the "Best Recruiting Class in History" thread.
4 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Rhody83 wrote:Great pic with all five in Rhody uniforms
This is a great use of collage through one of the social media platforms, not sure if twitter has one, but Kodos to Jim Black whoever that is; Love the look of each of these guys in Keaney Blue!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Great pic with all five in Rhody uniforms
This is a great use of collage through one of the social media platforms, not sure if twitter has one, but Kodos to Jim Black whoever that is; Love the look of each of these guys in Keaney Blue!
Completely agree NRF

and isn't it amazing that all 5 still have their Senior Year in front of them? They all look so happy and proud to be Rhode Island Rams :D :D :D
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It will be fun to follow our Fab 5 in their senior high school seasons. Let's hope for no injuries and hope they grow a couple inches too
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Amir's decision, just days after we thought the class was complete, is a kick in the balls and shows how fragile everything really is. Players can decommit and not show up for any reason. A player may come but not be academically eligible. A coach can leave and nearly every recruit could also be lost. Players can always get injured. You can never feel truly secure as things can always easily change in an instant.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It's ok I wouldn't mind seeing a big guy replace Amir we will be fine at the guard position
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

reef wrote:It's ok I wouldn't mind seeing a big guy replace Amir we will be fine at the guard position
I think there's a good chance of that happening.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
reef wrote:It's ok I wouldn't mind seeing a big guy replace Amir we will be fine at the guard position
I think there's a good chance of that happening.
So, are we talking Doherty, a transfer, or a decommit from another school?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Does this improve or diminish our recruiting class ranking?
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Does this improve or diminish our recruiting class ranking?
Neither, stays the same. Only 3 star, 4 star and 5 star ranked players are considered for the class ranking.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My first choice is Doherty I think the kid has nice potential
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

reef wrote:My first choice is Doherty I think the kid has nice potential
I would agree but only having 5 ball handlers on the roster is one too short at minimum in my opinion.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What do you mean by a ball handler?
What positions is that (are you including the 3)?
Did you include Thompson?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:What do you mean by a ball handler?
We play 3 guard lineups essentially, we'll have 5 guards on the team next year as things stand. We will lose 4 to graduation this year FYI. With small ball being such a force with floor spacing critical to today's game, I think a perfect roster is 7 ball handlers / shooters and 6 front court (hopefullly some 3ball shooters in this mix) players. As things stand now, we are at 5 guards and 7 front court players for next years team. If Tate is more of a wing and can hit the deep ball, that would change things but I see him being more on the Akele front court player mold. Especially considering how today's game is being played.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

CT Rhody wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:What do you mean by a ball handler?
We play 3 guard lineups essentially, we'll have 5 guards on the team next year as things stand. We will lose 4 to graduation this year FYI. With small ball being such a force with floor spacing critical to today's game, I think a perfect roster is 7 ball handlers / shooters and 6 front court (hopefullly some 3ball shooters in this mix) players. As things stand now, we are at 5 guards and 7 front court players for next years team. If Tate is more of a wing and can hit the deep ball, that would change things but I see him being more on the Akele front court player mold. Especially considering how today's game is being played.
It'd be nice to have at least 6 guards. With Jarvis missing 8 games last year and EC missing the entire season two years ago you never know how injuries could affect us. With only 5 guards if one goes down then all of a sudden we have a very thin backcourt. Although who knows, I'd never expect Hurley to only play two guards based on what we've seen so far in his time here but next year we could very easily have 5 bigs who deserve playing time, possibly more.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Maybe hold for a 5th year transfer guard like the kid a few years back?
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

UCH21377 wrote:Maybe hold for a 5th year transfer guard like the kid a few years back?
There’s no need for more guards, a 5th year makes sense if it’s a forward or powerful big
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NorthernRamFan wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:Maybe hold for a 5th year transfer guard like the kid a few years back?
There’s no need for more guards, a 5th year makes sense if it’s a forward or powerful big
I don't understand this, we have 5 guards for essentially 3 spots on the court and 7 front court players for 2 spots on the court and yet we need another front court player over a guard? Really? What am I missing?
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

CT Rhody wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
I don't understand this, we have 5 guards for essentially 3 spots on the court and 7 front court players for 2 spots on the court and yet we need another front court player over a guard? Really? What am I missing?
There isn’t a single player like an Iverson or Akele, they’re game changing type players when clicking on high, it’s opinion... this is a board...
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NorthernRamFan wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
There isn’t a single player like an Iverson or Akele, they’re game changing type players when clicking on high, it’s opinion... this is a board...
I get that but do we really need 8 front court players to fill 2 spots? Sounds extreme. Just pointing out the obvious that's all. I would personally chase a guard and next years class even after losing two front court pieces I would chase the best guard and front court player available. I think they'll grab one of each so the roster will shake out to 7 guards for 3 spots vs 6 front court players for 2 spots. Just my opinion.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Clearly to me we hold the scholly for a big transfer....

Looking pretty set on paper to me.

Well done Rhody.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
I get that but do we really need 8 front court players to fill 2 spots? Sounds extreme. Just pointing out the obvious that's all. I would personally chase a guard and next years class even after losing two front court pieces I would chase the best guard and front court player available. I think they'll grab one of each so the roster will shake out to 7 guards for 3 spots vs 6 front court players for 2 spots. Just my opinion.
Crazy discussion. This isn’t a math exercise. Who cares what positions your 11-13 play. They will never see a minute in a meaningful game. A deep rotation in college is 8 players in total and you are worried about having a 6th guard? Tell me a Top 25 team last year that played 6 guards or 9 players regularly.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

CT Rhody wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
All I know is there’s a specific skill set they’re looking for, it isn’t a position specific person. They want an athletic player who can do it all.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
All I know is there’s a specific skill set they’re looking for, it isn’t a position specific person. They want an athletic player who can do it all.
Wrong. No they don't.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Assuming David Duke picks PC, the Friars will jump ahead of Rhody in the recruiting class rankings. My guess is they will be around 10th.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Northern not sure I can agree. We will have Dowtin, Fatts, Thompson, and the two frosh. We play 3 guards. We are taking a big leap of faith on 3 of these guys who are unproven, plus Thompson who has potential for sure but not much experience. IMO a 5th year guard with experience would be a perfect fit for that group.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
Northern not sure I can agree. We will have Dowtin, Fatts, Thompson, and the two frosh. We play 3 guards. We are taking a big leap of faith on 3 of these guys who are unproven, plus Thompson who has potential for sure but not much experience. IMO a 5th year guard with experience would be a perfect fit for that group.
3 highly recruited Frosh - Adams, Martin & Tate will play the 1,2 & 3.
1 x