Class of 2020 recruiting visits (first post updated)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Class of 2020 recruiting visits (first post updated)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

MD PG Elijah Wood official visit 2019 Memorial Day weekend

W Trey Hall unofficial visit 2017 FGCU game
NY G Quaran McPherson unofficial visit 9/28/18
MA PG Taelon Martin unofficial 2019 St. Louis game

Dyondre Dominguez 2017 URI Elite Camp
Bensley Joseph 2017 URI Elite Camp
Enoch Cheeks 2017 URI Elite Camp
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Class of 2020 recruiting visits (first post updated)

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody74 wrote:
If anybody saw a really big kid, that was him. Big, strong and talented. I'm guessing he would have been sitting with Dana.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Lol does anyone ever remember a time when URI was recruiting and taking visits for high profile kids 3 classes out??
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:Lol does anyone ever remember a time when URI was recruiting and taking visits for high profile kids 3 classes out??
No Blue Man, this has never happened before at URI.
Jim Harrick. He was strong on the recruiting trail but not so much with underclassmen. He went for Seniors in HS or Transfers. He recruited many players who were at one time or another in the Top 100. Lamar Odom was the National Player of the Year in HS, Luther Clay (transferred from Purdue), Tavorris Bell, Zach Marbury, Brian Woodward, Tiger Womack (transferred from LSU), Tip Vinson, Ed Brown, Preston Murphy, Tory Jefferson, Mark Treadwell........some big names we were associated with but lost out on, some when Harrick announced leaving for Georgia were Jason Kapono (UCLA/NBA), Josh Kroenke (Missouri), Rico Harris (Cal State Northridge,Harlem Globetrotters), Jabari Smith (LSU, NBA), Ivan Kartelo (Notre Dame),

Years between Jim Harrick and Dan Hurley. Many recruits committed in April to June of their Senior years.
I used to say that Baron should be recruiting higher rated players, especially considering he had the Ryan Center brand, spanking new.
Posters here always challenged me and asked why would a player come to URI when the same player could go to UCONN or Boston College or other higher ranked schools? Most did not think URI could ever land a Top 100 players. Harrick had URI as the strongest team in New England.
I used to try to find info on Baron's recruits and often came up empty or with very little. Things are different now in the info world, but not all that different.

Dan Hurley has built the recruiting program stronger in each of his 5 years.
He is now recruiting players in Soph and Jr years as well and Seniors before they play their Senior Year.
Last year and this year Dan Hurley inked the Class by November - prior to the start of the HS season.
Hurley has proven he can go head to head with UCONN, UMASS, BC and PC in New England and he can recruit against the Top programs in the country as we have seen in Jermaine Harris picking URI over Xavier.
Love what is doing in Recruiting!!
2 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

ramster wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Lol does anyone ever remember a time when URI was recruiting and taking visits for high profile kids 3 classes out??
Jim Harrick. He was strong on the recruiting trail but not so much with underclassmen. He went for Seniors in HS or Transfers. He recruited many players who were at one time or another in the Top 100. Lamar Odom was the National Player of the Year in HS, Luther Clay (transferred from Purdue), Tavorris Bell, Zach Marbury, Brian Woodward, Tiger Womack (transferred from LSU), Tip Vinson, Ed Brown, Preston Murphy, Tory Jefferson, Mark Treadwell........some big names we were associated with but lost out on, some when Harrick announced leaving for Georgia were Jason Kapono (UCLA/NBA), Josh Kroenke (Missouri), Rico Harris (Cal State Northridge,Harlem Globetrotters), Jabari Smith (LSU, NBA), Ivan Kartelo (Notre Dame),

Years between Jim Harrick and Dan Hurley. Many recruits committed in April to June of their Senior years.
I used to say that Baron should be recruiting higher rated players, especially considering he had the Ryan Center brand, spanking new.
Posters here always challenged me and asked why would a player come to URI when the same player could go to UCONN or Boston College or other higher ranked schools? Most did not think URI could ever land a Top 100 players. Harrick had URI as the strongest team in New England.
I used to try to find info on Baron's recruits and often came up empty or with very little. Things are different now in the info world, but not all that different.

He is now recruiting players in Soph and Jr years as well and Seniors before they play their Senior Year.
Last year and this year Dan Hurley inked the Class by November - prior to the start of the HS season.
Hurley has proven he can go head to head with UCONN, UMASS, BC and PC in New England and he can recruit against the Top programs in the country as we have seen in Jermaine Harris picking URI over Xavier.
Just for clarification, both Luther Clay and Preston Murphy were brought in by Al Skinner. Additionally, Rico Harris and Jabari Smith opted to attend other schools after the Elite 8 run in '98.

Regardless, your point still stands, current recruiting is different than anything we've seen in the past. However, I wonder if Harrick would have had the same recruiting plan if he was coaching in the current NCAA climate. With there being so much more information out there about recruiting and there being a lot more visibility on recruits, I wonder if Harrick would have ultimately found that he needed to adjust his recruiting philosophy and start recruiting players earlier in their high school career.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
ramster wrote:

Just for clarification, both Luther Clay and Preston Murphy were brought in by Al Skinner. Additionally, Rico Harris and Jabari Smith opted to attend other schools after the Elite 8 run in '98.

Regardless, your point still stands, current recruiting is different than anything we've seen in the past. However, I wonder if Harrick would have had the same recruiting plan if he was coaching in the current NCAA climate. With there being so much more information out there about recruiting and there being a lot more visibility on recruits, I wonder if Harrick would have ultimately found that he needed to adjust his recruiting philosophy and start recruiting players earlier in their high school career.
Thanks for the clarifications. I did not mean to indicate that Rico Harris or Jabari Smith left URI in the lurch when Harrick chose to go to Georgia. I still remember the disappointment when those two guys did not select URI. I am trying to show the high level of recruit that Harrick aimed for. Nothing like any other Head Coach we have had at URI. I would not be surprised to see Hurley recruiting at least a couple of Top 25 level players if he remains at URI for the long haul. Every year the level of player he goes after tends to be a higher level than the previous year.

For sure Harrick would have adjusted. Today the internet communicates information about recruits instantly. AAU and Showcase Tournaments have grown by leaps and bounds with kids playing all summer long in front of College Coaches. Kids now going to High Schools and Prep Schools that do traveling to Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday Tournaments. There are Tournaments this MLK Day whereby Teams will travel fairly long distances. Actually makes things easier on the Coaching Staffs whereby they can see these recruits playing against outstanding competition. In the old days the Top 100 type players did not do this traveling and often played against inferior competition - Coaches had to go to single games whereas today they can see many kids in one weekend trip. Nothing emulates this like the EYBL Nike Peach Jam and the 4 Tournaments leading up to the Peach Jam. Then have Under Armor and Adidas Gauntlet. Plus HS and AAU Games streamed live for all to see. It is much different, better in some ways. But the likelihood of a Jimmy Walker, Sly Williams or Marvin Barnes being only regionally recruited is much less. The big P5 schools would have been all over those 3 guys.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://247sports.com/college/rhode-isl ... all/Offers

Check out the numbers of the guys we are recruiting for the class of 2020 on 247 sports.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote:https://247sports.com/college/rhode-isl ... all/Offers

Check out the numbers of the guys we are recruiting for the class of 2020 on 247 sports.
I'm not sure how reliable 247 is. If you look at 2018, they still have us as the favorite to land Amir Harris. I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I agree but It’s interesting to note.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote:I agree but It’s interesting to note.
Definitely. We are now going after a higher level of recruits. Now that we've landed Jermaine Harris, hopefully the flood gates open.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

247 is the best recruiting site (not that they are perfect, but they are the best national site). They may not have super attention to detail with a kid that is not in their top-247 or something, or when it comes to Amir Harris they may just be waiting for more information to come as far as who he is now involved with before they update.

Not to say that 247 doesnt make mistakes, but if any site is reliable it is probably them. They have a big budget and college recruiting for football and basketball are the main things they do.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:247 is the best recruiting site (not that they are perfect, but they are the best national site). They may not have super attention to detail with a kid that is not in their top-247 or something, or when it comes to Amir Harris they may just be waiting for more information to come as far as who he is now involved with before they update.

Not to say that 247 doesnt make mistakes, but if any site is reliable it is probably them. They have a big budget and college recruiting for football and basketball are the main things they do.
They need to add Terrence Clarke for 2021. He's probably the highest rated recruit we've offered since Lamar.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Is there a thread on Trey Hall? I know he had an unofficial visit during the FGCU game last December.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Last night at midnight coaches could contact 2020 recruits. Instagram video from Ty at 3:00 am in New York driving. Was he coming back from a midnight in home visit to show the recruit his unmatched level of interest?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What 2020 recruit was Ty driving to see ????
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I have been told that Rhody’s focus for 2020 is PG. It is their only need.
Relacing Jeff and Fatts will be going into his Sr year.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I have been told that Rhody’s focus for 2020 is PG. It is their only need.
Elijah Wood would be nice.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I have been told that Rhody’s focus for 2020 is PG. It is their only need.
Elijah Wood would be nice.
It would be awesome, but if you look at the teams that have offered him you will see that this will be another Walker or Bishop situation. He is from DC area, but probably too highly sought after to get
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think for Rhody to land a highly rated recruit they have to have a special relationship with that player and a major influencer. Cox has that with several coaches in DMV. Bosweill has that with Expressions. Carroll has that with Team New England. Sutton probably has that with other DMV coaches.

Cox’s relationship with Trey Mines came thru load and clear in Antwan Walker’s decision to transfer to URI.
2 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

agree that a PG should be the first priority, would also be nice to get a true center but not as much as a priority. The PG's I'm showing we are tracking on 247 for '20 are, haven't heard much on our involvement on any of these, but it's early:

- Elijah Wood, Potomac MD 4 Star
- AJ Hoggard, Wayne PA 4 Star
- Taelon Martin Springfield, MA 4 Star
- Adrian Baldwin Baltimore, MD 3 Star
- Hassan Diarra PSA, 3 Star
- Enoch Cheeks Meriden, NH not ranked
- Quran McPherson Middle Village, NY not ranked
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago agree that a PG should be the first priority, would also be nice to get a true center but not as much as a priority. The PG's I'm showing we are tracking on 247 for '20 are, haven't heard much on our involvement on any of these, but it's early:

- Elijah Wood, Potomac MD 4 Star
- AJ Hoggard, Wayne PA 4 Star
- Taelon Martin Springfield, MA 4 Star
- Adrian Baldwin Baltimore, MD 3 Star
- Hassan Diarra PSA, 3 Star
- Enoch Cheeks Meriden, NH not ranked
- Quran McPherson Middle Village, NY not ranked
Nice list. The top three have gone away to HS/Prep this year. Wood is at BCC in MD, Hoggard is at Hunington Prep in WV and Martin is at PH Christian Academy in FL. Wood is Top 100 and the other two are around 150.
Their AAU connections probably have the most influence in their recruitment.
Wood played for Team Thrill (DC)
Hoggard played for PSA Cardinals (NYC)
Martin played for Expressions :)

Just to clarify PG IS the staffs’ priority for ‘20.

Edit on Wood’s high school. He returned to MD per Bos8.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I added Taelon Martin's visit due to him posting about it on his Instagram
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x