'15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RIFan
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1271
Joined: 5 years ago
x 182

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RIFan » 6 months ago

Wow, after reading all the posts talking themselves into liking this signing, I'm excited now! When was the last time you saw so few posts about a signing? I guess I'm not the only one underwelemed.
2 x

User avatar
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney
Posts: 13019
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1330

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rodfromcranston » 6 months ago

Hmmm.....the elephant labored and brought forth a mouse.
I'd rather they went after Poyser, who could be significant when
Terrell, EC, and Garrett graduate.
Known quantity, ready to step into a needed role.
Maybe Preston will surprise?
Who knows?
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

EGram
Kenny Green
Posts: 223
Joined: 3 years ago
x 100

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby EGram » 6 months ago

Poyser being a 35% FG shooter makes him a pretty dubious option imo. Not too interested in a known quantity that can't shoot.

Preston helps us next year and seems to be a potential good system fit. It's pretty obvious at this point has certain skill sets and types of players he likes for his system. As an a tall athlete who can defend and finish near the rim Preston is exactly the type of guy i figured Dan would be aiming for.

If he can play 15-20mins a game while providing solid D, rebounding, and a good FG% he will be a very nice addition to next years team.
0 x

RIFan
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1271
Joined: 5 years ago
x 182

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RIFan » 6 months ago

They have known for 2 years that their starting front court was graduating this season, and early on in practice they knew what they had in last years big men recruits...and then we had the type of season Hurley had been promising for 4 years...and the best they could do was a guy who would be a good recruit if there was a last minute change to the roster and you needed a guy. Once again, I hope he turns out to be a good 2 year guy for us, and maybe they think the bigs currently on the roster are good and we did only need this type of player as insurance. But if we see him in the starting line up to start next year I would be concerned that Hurley missed big time on last years big's.
1 x

Rhody15
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1182
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 420

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby Rhody15 » 6 months ago

Rod I don't know how you can say you wish we went after another guard when all we've heard for months from you is how we need a big guy and someone who can rebound....
1 x
Go Rhody

User avatar
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney
Posts: 13019
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1330

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rodfromcranston » 6 months ago

Poyser's numbers at UNLV are far better than
Stan Robinson's at Indiana.
How'd that work out?
Yes, we need a forward, but one who can play.
After Berry, Laysard and Tertsea, I'm not sold on
staff's ability to recognize frontcourt players.
Only Hassan was developed in the Hurley tenure.
Hopefully, Langevine will follow Martin's course.
I'm looking at the big picture beyond next next season
when many guards leave.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

Dre3000
Kenny Green
Posts: 235
Joined: 2 years ago
x 92

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby Dre3000 » 6 months ago

I think what's most important here is that the staff, AND players got to see all these players in workouts. Out of everyone that visited (and trust me there were more than what was reported), everyone felt Preston was the top choice. Will he need to develop? Yes. But maybe it's the staff betting on themselves and thinking they can get him to where he needs to be. Certainly worked with Kuran, Stan, and to a lesser extent Earl. Also I think fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by our redshirt freshman this year.
1 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2763
Joined: 5 years ago
x 555

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby theblueram » 6 months ago

Dre3000 wrote:I think what's most important here is that the staff, AND players got to see all these players in workouts. Out of everyone that visited (and trust me there were more than what was reported), everyone felt Preston was the top choice. Will he need to develop? Yes. But maybe it's the staff betting on themselves and thinking they can get him to where he needs to be. Certainly worked with Kuran, Stan, and to a lesser extent Earl. Also I think fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by our redshirt freshman this year.


Kuran and Stan were both 4* recruits out of high school. I would hope it worked out. I hope Tertsea works out as well. That size will be a big add to this team.
1 x

RIFan
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1271
Joined: 5 years ago
x 182

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RIFan » 6 months ago

Great, after all this, the best we could do is a 2 year guy who needs development! We need people, especially if they are only here for 2 years who can make an impact right away! Why he was the best they could do is the BIG question (pun intended). That is what concerns me...

I'll take all those people "in the know" comments about how he was the best guy they tried out, and say well then we certainly did not do a good job of getting bigs in for tryouts/visits. Just because he was the best of the bunch doesn't make him a great get, I think it tells you more about the bunch.
1 x

RIFan
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1271
Joined: 5 years ago
x 182

Re: SF Ryan Preston

Unread postby RIFan » 6 months ago

sevegny7 wrote:
RIFan wrote:I understand that there are different levels of Juco and the stats can be misleading, but I doubt even the best juco league's talent compares with a top 10 D1 conference. I also am assuming his averages of 8.5 and 6.4 in Juco will not translate to the same or better in the A10. I hope he turns out to be a nice player and this has nothing to do with him and all to do with the staff and their inability to secure a known quality big, and instead having to take a shot at a diamond in the rough...don't give me that BS about good bigs not coming to the A10...they do...we have had them, and other teams get them. His list doesn't excite me because at this time of year, teams are getting desperate and have had last minute roster moves that cause them to look for replacements and many teams reach.



Really? Best juco league's talent does not compare to any top 10 D1 conference?! Then why was kansas and iowa state so aggressive in recruiting Shakur Juiston. I am sure you would have been extremely excited for him if we signed Juiston. If the coaches really though he had no shot of improving our roster why would they sign him. I think i will trust the staff on this one.


I said the talent in the top Juco Conference (as a whole)...not the Juco player of the year...Yes I would have been excited if we signed the Juco player of the year...Duh.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8871
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1993

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby TruePoint » 6 months ago

RIFan wrote:Great, after all this, the best we could do is a 2 year guy who needs development! We need people, especially if they are only here for 2 years who can make an impact right away! Why he was the best they could do is the BIG question (pun intended). That is what concerns me...

I'll take all those people "in the know" comments about how he was the best guy they tried out, and say well then we certainly did not do a good job of getting bigs in for tryouts/visits. Just because he was the best of the bunch doesn't make him a great get, I think it tells you more about the bunch.


You can't just make a big guy appear out of the ether. Why don't you share with us who specifically was available that we should have recruited and didn't?

There definitely was interest in Poyser and if they couldn't identify anyone with size who they thought could help them next year, there's a good chance the last scholarship could have gone to Poyser. They also didn't expect that there would be no roster attrition this summer, and that eliminated the ability to get the best available instant impact player and a developmental guy. They had to choose, and I was told they would not take a guy for next year if they didn't think the guy could help. I know they didn't think any of the other guys they previously brought in and looked at were any better than what they already have. So to me, knowing nothing else about Preston and having not seen him play, that itself is an encouraging sign.
0 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3993
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1016

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 6 months ago

RIFan wrote:Wow, after reading all the posts talking themselves into liking this signing, I'm excited now! When was the last time you saw so few posts about a signing? I guess I'm not the only one underwelemed.


I didn't know the post count on an Internet message board had any correlation with the impact a player can have.

It's almost like there aren't a lot of posts on Preston because we didn't know we were pursuing him until he committed. Do you think we might just have a few more posts if we knew we were recruiting him?
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2763
Joined: 5 years ago
x 555

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby theblueram » 6 months ago

Knowing two years ago we re losing Hass and Iverson, I was hoping for at least one 4* big this year.
2 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3993
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1016

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 6 months ago

RIFan wrote:They have known for 2 years that their starting front court was graduating this season, and early on in practice they knew what they had in last years big men recruits...and then we had the type of season Hurley had been promising for 4 years...and the best they could do was a guy who would be a good recruit if there was a last minute change to the roster and you needed a guy. Once again, I hope he turns out to be a good 2 year guy for us, and maybe they think the bigs currently on the roster are good and we did only need this type of player as insurance. But if we see him in the starting line up to start next year I would be concerned that Hurley missed big time on last years big's.


I've seen a variation of the "we had a great year, we need to be getting better recruits" argument on here a few times. If we don't see that in the class of 18 fine, but most of the main recruiting throughout college basketball for the class of 17 was done before March and our run started. Even if the player hadn't committed, relationships were built visits were taken and players had trimmed their lists.

There was a grand total of one big man that seems clearly better than Preston that we missed on. If you want to lament the staff missing on Juiston and going 0-1 so be it, just know ahead of time it's not a great argument
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3993
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1016

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 6 months ago

theblueram wrote:Knowing two years ago we re losing Hass and Iverson, I was hoping for at least one 4* big this year.


Knowing that two years ago, they went out and got three three star bigs in the class of 16 so they had a year to develop before they were pressed into action. That's a lot better plan than hoping you can get a four star player and hoping that player can and will make an impact. Now we'll find out if they coached up those bigs well enough and if they were right on Preston
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2763
Joined: 5 years ago
x 555

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby theblueram » 6 months ago

As I've said all along, we have a benchful of big men.
1 x

reef
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3133
Joined: 5 years ago
x 460

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby reef » 6 months ago

I fully expect this kid to come in and contribute right away most likely as a starter. We will see in preseason practices if he plays better than Akele and the other bigs then I am sure DH will start him opposite Cyril . I am pumped
0 x

RIFan
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1271
Joined: 5 years ago
x 182

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RIFan » 6 months ago

We only had 2 openings to fill this year, so you would think that they could have really focused and committed to recruiting 2 high level 3+ star guys...like Russell. Next year they are really going to have to spread themselves out with so many to fill. Are you telling me they didn't have a player or 2 or even 3 that they were recruiting for the other ship for a while, and we only started recruiting the other ship recently? Because your right, even with this years success it's hard to jump in at the last minute and recruit a player...relationships have been established. So, either we completely struck out on whoever we had as options 1,2 &3, or they decided that the current bigs on the roster are not ready for prime time and they had to change plans and start recruiting bigs late in the game. Or, I suppose Preston was our target all along...Don't get me wrong, Im glad we got the player the staff thought was the best they worked out. I too think in an ideal world we could have and should have recruited a wing for the last ship this year...looking longer term. But I guess the reality of the state of our current big men dictated a different approach.
0 x

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3062
Joined: 5 years ago
x 426

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby Iggy1979 » 6 months ago

I keep seeing comments about 'momentum.' What momentum? One NCAA appearance in 18 years?
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2222
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 431

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 6 months ago

Iggy1979 wrote:I keep seeing comments about 'momentum.' What momentum? One NCAA appearance in 18 years?


Finishing the season by winning ten in a row, including all the way through the A10 finals and becoming the conference champs, winning the first round of the NCAAs and pushing a final four team to the brink of elimination. That sounds like momentum to me.
8 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

User avatar
adam914
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5790
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: San Diego, CA
x 1113

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby adam914 » 6 months ago

Iggy1979 wrote:I keep seeing comments about 'momentum.' What momentum? One NCAA appearance in 18 years?


I've tried to make this point a few times as well, with limited success. It's going to take more than 1 NCAA tourney win before it makes a huge impact in recruiting. It was a big and necessary first step, but now it's time to build on it.
0 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

steveystuds06
ARD
Posts: 574
Joined: 2 years ago
x 152

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby steveystuds06 » 6 months ago

rodfromcranston wrote:Poyser's numbers at UNLV are far better than
Stan Robinson's at Indiana.
How'd that work out?
Yes, we need a forward, but one who can play.
After Berry, Laysard and Tertsea, I'm not sold on
staff's ability to recognize frontcourt players.
Only Hassan was developed in the Hurley tenure.
Hopefully, Langevine will follow Martin's course.
I'm looking at the big picture beyond next next season
when many guards leave.


This is exactly how I feel.... I hope Preston works out.
1 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10369
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1131

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rambone 78 » 6 months ago

It took Shaka Smart years to start getting 4 stars to come to VCU....and that's after several years of NCAAT's in a row, including the FF run.....

If Dan and staff can get at least a couple for 2018, they will be ahead of the curve.......

We got three 3 star big man recruits last season....and it looks like just one of them is working out, at least right now......we know bigs take longer to develop and recruits at the 3 star level end up being more of a crapshoot usually.

They are definitely aiming higher going forward, for sure.
1 x

Rhody15
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1182
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 420

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby Rhody15 » 6 months ago

steveystuds06 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Poyser's numbers at UNLV are far better than
Stan Robinson's at Indiana.
How'd that work out?
Yes, we need a forward, but one who can play.
After Berry, Laysard and Tertsea, I'm not sold on
staff's ability to recognize frontcourt players.
Only Hassan was developed in the Hurley tenure.
Hopefully, Langevine will follow Martin's course.
I'm looking at the big picture beyond next next season
when many guards leave.


This is exactly how I feel.... I hope Preston works out.


I mean, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not), but I think the Big 10 might be just a litttttle bit better than Mountain West. Put Poyser on Indiana and see if his numbers would be what they were at UNLV....
1 x
Go Rhody

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10369
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1131

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rambone 78 » 6 months ago

If we keep dancing there will come a time where we will be able to land better 4 year big man recruits.....but it will always be harder than at the blue bloods....this is the A10 not B10 or ACC.....

A school like Gonzaga is the outlier......and even they aren't going to get a boatload of 4 and 5 stars every year like Kentucky or Duke.....

We are going to have to rely on the occasional transfer, juco, and 5th year to fill out our roster, no matter how good we get....it is what it is.
0 x

User avatar
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney
Posts: 13019
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1330

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rodfromcranston » 6 months ago

Yes, we know UNLV has never produced top players.
Stan made 3 3 pointers in 2 years at Indiana.
Wow!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10369
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1131

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rambone 78 » 6 months ago

I think the staff figured that after discussions with players about their PT going forward, that a couple might leave. Nope.

Loyalty is great, but it limited their options for next season.
2 x

steveystuds06
ARD
Posts: 574
Joined: 2 years ago
x 152

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby steveystuds06 » 6 months ago

Rhody15 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Poyser's numbers at UNLV are far better than
Stan Robinson's at Indiana.
How'd that work out?
Yes, we need a forward, but one who can play.
After Berry, Laysard and Tertsea, I'm not sold on
staff's ability to recognize frontcourt players.
Only Hassan was developed in the Hurley tenure.
Hopefully, Langevine will follow Martin's course.
I'm looking at the big picture beyond next next season
when many guards leave.


This is exactly how I feel.... I hope Preston works out.


I mean, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not), but I think the Big 10 might be just a litttttle bit better than Mountain West. Put Poyser on Indiana and see if his numbers would be what they were at UNLV....


If you have watched Poyser play you would know that he can play at a Big 10 level. Ask Duke or Kansas. UNLV the school that just landed the top juco in the country while we landed one that's not even in the top 100...
2 x

hrstrat57
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1923
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: South County
x 314

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby hrstrat57 » 6 months ago

Pretty surprised we couldn't sign a real stud and shocked we appear to have not been active on Poyser

Time will tell re Preston
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry! **A10 Champs**

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8871
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1993

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby TruePoint » 6 months ago

hrstrat57 wrote:Pretty surprised we couldn't sign a real stud and shocked we appear to have not been active on Poyser

Time will tell re Preston


What stud?

They were both interested in and active with Poyser. If they hadn't found a big they thought could help next year, there's a good chance Poyser would have got the last scholarship.
0 x

Rhody15
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1182
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 420

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby Rhody15 » 6 months ago

Poyser shot 8-24 against Duke and Kansas, not exactly lighting it up.

And Rod come on, comparing the current UNLV vs the UNLV of old is a flat out joke and irrelevant.

Holy Cross and San Francisco were also great back in the day and produced studs just like UNLV did so they should still be great programs!

Give me a break.
0 x
Go Rhody

RIFan
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1271
Joined: 5 years ago
x 182

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RIFan » 6 months ago

TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Pretty surprised we couldn't sign a real stud and shocked we appear to have not been active on Poyser

Time will tell re Preston


What stud?



That's the question TP...why were we left searching for transfers and Juco's when we only had two scholarships to fill? Besides Russell who else were we on since last spring or earlier, and why couldn't we close the deal with only two ships to offer? I assume you only would take a transfer or a Juco over a player you have been recruiting for a while, if you thought they were better than said player. So once again, either Preston's team was loaded and his stats are stifled because of all the studs on his team and he's going to surprise us all, or he was an emergency signing because 3 of the 5 bigs we already have are not ready to contribute and may never, forcing us to take flyer on Preston as a stop gap. And if the staff whiffed on 3 out of the last 5 bigs (I think it's more like 4 out of 5, but I'll give you Nicola) why do we expect him to help? Beside saying you trust the staff, what evidence do you have that he can help next year?
0 x

User avatar
adam914
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5790
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: San Diego, CA
x 1113

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby adam914 » 6 months ago

RIFan wrote: And if the staff whiffed on 3 out of the last 5 bigs (I think it's more like 4 out of 5, but I'll give you Nicola) why do we expect him to help?


Can you provide some more information on Tertsea that has led you to conclude that he will be a whiff for the next four years already? Most (if not all) of us have never had a chance to see him play so if you have enough information to already make that conclusion it would be helpful for the rest of us to hear more about it.
1 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

RIFan
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1271
Joined: 5 years ago
x 182

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RIFan » 6 months ago

It's circumstantial evidence...red shirted, and the player who wasn't red shirted,didn't play practically at all and when he did, he didn't impress. And every report has stated he's a rebounder and defender...which is what they stated they needed in a front court recruit this year...which leads us to the fact they had to scramble for front court help and we now have Preston. I hope I am completely missreading the tea leaves and more of the guys emerge to contribute in a big way. BTW, I probably overstated it with the term whiffed. Players will continue to develop, but I am reading this signing as the staff thinking they need more front court help and that concerns me.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8871
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1993

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby TruePoint » 6 months ago

RIFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Pretty surprised we couldn't sign a real stud and shocked we appear to have not been active on Poyser

Time will tell re Preston


What stud?



That's the question TP...why were we left searching for transfers and Juco's when we only had two scholarships to fill? Besides Russell who else were we on since last spring or earlier, and why couldn't we close the deal with only two ships to offer? I assume you only would take a transfer or a Juco over a player you have been recruiting for a while, if you thought they were better than said player. So once again, either Preston's team was loaded and his stats are stifled because of all the studs on his team and he's going to surprise us all, or he was an emergency signing because 3 of the 5 bigs we already have are not ready to contribute and may never, forcing us to take flyer on Preston as a stop gap. And if the staff whiffed on 3 out of the last 5 bigs (I think it's more like 4 out of 5, but I'll give you Nicola) why do we expect him to help? Beside saying you trust the staff, what evidence do you have that he can help next year?


I disagree with all of this. I think they always wanted to target a plug and play big man with this last roster spot because they were losing two senior starters down low. If they'd signed a 17 or 18 year old in the fall you may get a player that is better as a junior and senior than a guy like Preston but gives you less next season. They don't want to waste EC, Jared, Stan and Jarvis's senior years.

I also think you're way off in giving up on Tertsea and Layssard. It's very hard to find ready-to-play freshman bigs that aren't lined up to go to Kansas or North Carolina. We got lucky with Hassan and Cyril, and sometimes that does happen. But normally you're looking at a bit of a learning curve. If Hassan or Cyril magically became free agents after their freshmen years, they'd have been able to go basically anywhere in the country that they wanted, but as high school seniors they didn't have those kind of options.
1 x

RIFan
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1271
Joined: 5 years ago
x 182

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby RIFan » 6 months ago

Fair enough. I really hope your take is the right one. I don't want to be right on this.
0 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10369
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1131

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rambone 78 » 6 months ago

At this point all spots are filled....so it's wait and see time, to see how they do.

If they aren't good enough then it will be an indictment of the staff's ability to evaluate and recruit big men.....we do have one that's good and will get better [Cyril[ but that's certainly not enough if the others aren't much help.

And even before that we have the November signing period to see who they bring on board......more "projects" and the upward trajectory of the program that we all expected to see, won't be.

5 openings for 2018...and 2 or 3 should be a combo of bigs and wings......it's got to be a strong class.
0 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2763
Joined: 5 years ago
x 555

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby theblueram » 6 months ago

Well, Berry is going to be a senior. I'm hoping Layssard and Tertsea don't end up like Berry. But if Tertsea was red shirted, I'm not feeling too confident.
2 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10369
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1131

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rambone 78 » 6 months ago

I would have to think that we will see some improvement from all our bigs this coming season.

But in ML and MT's cases, will there be enough improvement to help us, or will they just be spot players?

We need them to be better and sooner......could be asking too much.

How far we go could largely depend on their development.....and that's where the concerns are.

I mean, they could turn out to be pretty good by the time they are juniors and seniors....but that isn't going to help us next season.

Preston could be the X factor. Maybe.
0 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2763
Joined: 5 years ago
x 555

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby theblueram » 6 months ago

Berry played in 14 games and averaged 1.6 ppg. Layssard was a bystander last year. Tertsea was not even up to that level. Akele played 12 minutes a game and scored 2.9 a game. We have Langevine, these three players and an unknown Juco. Gonna be interesting.
1 x

reef
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3133
Joined: 5 years ago
x 460

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby reef » 6 months ago

From his highlights Preston looks really athletic and should be able to help right away
1 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10369
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1131

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rambone 78 » 6 months ago

Athletic is good reef, but he's going to be playing against MUCH better competition.

The staff obviously thinks he can play.....we'll see.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8871
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1993

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby TruePoint » 6 months ago

I think it is also important to keep in mind what the specific needs of this team are. I feel like if Preston averaged 22 ppg last year, no matter what the competition level was people would be more excited about him coming to URI. Not that the coaching staff wouldn't have been interested in a future lottery pick that could come here and lead the team in scoring if such a player were available to them, but that was not what they identified as the need for this team. They feel like they have firepower on the roster. What they wanted to find was a guy who could come play a specific role in their system, which requires being able to effectively defend ball screens, know your rotations on defense, find your man and put a body on him when a shot goes up, be able to finish around the basket when the opportunity presents itself, and maybe play the ball screener on offense sometimes. Maybe there were guys out there who could beat Preston one-on-one or would be picked before him in a pickup game, or put up better numbers at JUCO, but none of that speaks to their ability to do the specific things they were looking for and is basically irrelevant.

I am generally a believer in talent acquisition. You assemble as much talent as you can, you bring it in and see what you have, then you develop and deploy a system based on that talent. I hope we take that approach to assembling the 2018 class. But in this specific circumstance, you already have so much talent on this roster and it is already constructed to play a certain way. Would you guys want to give the last scholarship for next season to the player who has the most talent, in a vacuum, if it could mean fundamentally changing roles of the many talented upperclassmen on this team that have already proven themselves to be winners? I wouldn't. That is my honest opinion. You all are entitled to yours. But I am totally comfortable with the coaching staff's ability to identify what they need and identify how best to get it.
6 x

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2955
Joined: 5 years ago
x 429

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby Seawrightspostgame » 6 months ago

I have always felt Akele is a poor man's Milosevic. I would love to be wrong on that one. If he took 3 steps forward that would help a lot.
1 x
I just think this team has an identity now. - Tue Feb 21, 2017

rhodywins
Michael Andersen
Posts: 64
Joined: 2 years ago
x 22

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rhodywins » 6 months ago

I believe that many of the fans in the Northeast do not understand how good JUCO basketball is in areas like Texas, Kansas, Cal and Florida.. We look at CCRI and think that is what JUCO ball is . CCRI wouldn't have a player in the last ten years that would start on the Trinity team. The better teams would handle many of the lower level NCAA teams with some making the top hundred every year. Preston is one of 5 players on his team getting a scholarship to a legit NCAA program. The Trinity team would walk all over a team like Bryant. Preston may be a lot better than many of us think.
3 x

reef
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3133
Joined: 5 years ago
x 460

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby reef » 6 months ago

Yeah i wouldn't look too much into his stats. I have a feeling he is going to be able to step in and do the things we need to fit in
0 x

Rhody15
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1182
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 420

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby Rhody15 » 6 months ago

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I have always felt Akele is a poor man's Milosevic. I would love to be wrong on that one. If he took 3 steps forward that would help a lot.


Give me Nik over Akele 10/10.

Better shooter, better handles, better athlete, better player.
1 x
Go Rhody

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10369
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1131

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby rambone 78 » 6 months ago

Last year's Akele simply won't be good enough against better teams, or teams that have a high level player matched up against him.

He had his moments against inferior competition.

If there isn't major improvement he won't be playing much. I look for him to play more, but not more than 15-20 a game most of the time.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7088
Joined: 5 years ago
x 996

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby ramster » 6 months ago

rhodywins wrote:I believe that many of the fans in the Northeast do not understand how good JUCO basketball is in areas like Texas, Kansas, Cal and Florida.. We look at CCRI and think that is what JUCO ball is . CCRI wouldn't have a player in the last ten years that would start on the Trinity team. The better teams would handle many of the lower level NCAA teams with some making the top hundred every year. Preston is one of 5 players on his team getting a scholarship to a legit NCAA program. The Trinity team would walk all over a team like Bryant. Preston may be a lot better than many of us think.


CCRI is Division 2 for NCAAJC Basketball. You are right that CCRI plays at a lower level.

I like that URI MBB kept open the last scholarship, hoping for signing a guy like Shakur Juiston who was NCAAJC Division 1 POY and we were in the running for. Also had the possibility of landing a 5th Year or transfer player. As it worked out we had a number of players work out with our own players and in front of our own Coaching staff and the determination was made that the best available fit for our team was Ryan Preston.

I would not infer much from the Teams that were also interested or also offered since at this time of year the pickings are the slimmest of the time period for recruiting 2017 players. In addition, other schools also have last minute holes to fill.

So going by the stats for Preston:
118-205 on FGs for 57.6% - not bad
1-15 on 3FGs - not too good, I'd put my money on Jonathon Holton :oops:
30-48 FTs for 62.5% meh
6.4 rebounds per game ranked him 17th Overall and 10th in Conference
For offensive rebounds Preston ranked 12th Overall and 5th in Conference
For blocked shots he ranked 23rd Overall and 23rd in Conference
Points per game were 8.6 Overall and 9.4 in Conference

While the stats say he started only 4 games I would not trust those stats since 26 of his 31 games played show he only played 1 minute in each - obviously something wrong here

Going to his last 4 games to see how he did:
Navarro JC won 90-72: 4-6 FGs, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 blocks, 8 points
@ Tyler JC lost 76-73: 2-5 FGs, 1-2 FTs, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 points
Kilgore College won 80-69: 4-6 FGs, rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 8 points
Angelina College lost 76-72: 4-8 FGs, 1-2 FTs, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block, 9 points

Akele, Preston, Tertsea, Layssard and Berry to now battle for the 5th starting spot.
0 x

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2955
Joined: 5 years ago
x 429

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread postby Seawrightspostgame » 6 months ago

I know Berry was worse this past season than his first here. But.

I have visions of Berry catching the ball on the block and everyone knowing he can score at will there.

I also know DH will keep Berry on the bench.
0 x
I just think this team has an identity now. - Tue Feb 21, 2017


Return to “Recruitment Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests