'18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (URI Commit)

Unread post by theblueram »

Paleoguy wrote:
theblueram wrote:Here is the headline I would write at the projo " Brendan Adams locks down URI with the Nations #15 recruiting class next year"
I did not think the first couple of lines from the ProJo article were all that lame:

"What could arguably be the premier recruiting class in the history of the Rhode Island men’s basketball program is now complete.

Baltimore guard Brendan Adams verbally committed to the Rams courtesy of a Sunday evening post on his personal Twitter account, making it five pledges and all scholarships filled for coach Dan Hurley before the leaves had a real chance of changing colors this fall."
I actually said Bill did a good job on the article above. I was commenting on the headline more so than the article. Bill usually does a good job on his articles.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Shouldn't the Adams thread be above other threads with the other commit threads? It drop below Matt L.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Was already posted 18 hours ago by ElmCityRhody when he was the first to break the news of the committment
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Sorry didn't see it
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

theblueram wrote:
Paleoguy wrote:
theblueram wrote:Here is the headline I would write at the projo " Brendan Adams locks down URI with the Nations #15 recruiting class next year"
I did not think the first couple of lines from the ProJo article were all that lame:

"What could arguably be the premier recruiting class in the history of the Rhode Island men’s basketball program is now complete.

Baltimore guard Brendan Adams verbally committed to the Rams courtesy of a Sunday evening post on his personal Twitter account, making it five pledges and all scholarships filled for coach Dan Hurley before the leaves had a real chance of changing colors this fall."
I actually said Bill did a good job on the article above. I was commenting on the headline more so than the article. Bill usually does a good job on his articles.
Schools have not filled up their recruiting classes for next year. So URI has not locked down the #15 recruiting class. That's where it's rated currently, i.e. today. Rating next year's incoming recruiting classes is extremely fluid. URI's may go up or down or stay the same by the end of spring signing.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Paleoguy wrote:

Schools have not filled up their recruiting classes for next year. So URI has not locked down the #15 recruiting class. That's where it's rated currently, i.e. today. Rating next year's incoming recruiting classes is extremely fluid. URI's may go up or down or stay the same by the end of spring signing.
URI isn’t going up. They are done recruiting. The ranking will go down when schools get commitmemnts from the remaining 22 five stars and 15 four stars (using Rivals ratings). They may even drop out of the Top 25 but who cares. They got their top 5 targets. Can’t do any better than that.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I actually think our raw score will end up higher than it is now because Amir Harris is going to end up as a solid 3-star when the evaluations/rankings are updated. Right now we have 5 commitments but get basically no credit for one of them. Having said that, the class ranking will go down a bit as other schools fill out their classes. Right now, Kentucky isn't even in the top-50 because they wait for elite players and will end up in the top-5. Other schools are in a similar boat, although maybe not as dramatically. Other schools, like Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Arizona, MSU, Texas, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. that typically finish with top classes and will likely get their share of uncommitted highly ranked recruits are already ahead of URI. Last year, URI's current profile of 4 commits and an average score of about 92 would have placed in the low- to mid- 30s, but like I said I expect Amir Harris to end up being ranked which would probably push us right around the top-25 range when all is said and done.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, because it's only a good recruiting class if it ends up in the Top 25.

Keep movin' those goal posts!! I guess that's a good thing after all.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Might not go down as much as you think.
Dana Tate was just recently moved up to 4 star from 3 star at ESPN. 247 could easily follow suit.
Brendan Adams is also. Possibility that Adams could move up to 4 star before his senior year is over.
Sites adjust their rankings periodically as the season progresses.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah, because it's only a good recruiting class if it ends up in the Top 25.

Keep movin' those goal posts!! I guess that's a good thing after all.
We definitely don't NEED to be in the top-25 for me to consider this a good class. I love this class, and more importantly, the staff obviously loves this class because these are the guys they went after as their first choices. I've also consistently said that I don't care what a ranking service thinks compared to a coach who knows what he is doing, and Hurley (& Co.) clearly does, and that applies as much to an overall class ranking as it does to any individual player.

But, I would be lying if I said I didn't want to see the class finish in the top-25. For PR purposes of being able to refer to the class as a "top-25" class and not just a "good" class or even a "great" class. And even just for the pride of having your team in that group. Twenty-five is an arbitrary cutoff, but I'd prefer to be inside than outside all things being equal.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I should have quoted an earlier post. I wasn't replying to you TruePoint.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Our friends up north love the numbahs...our old pal RJ has already done his annual downplay on the quality of our recruiting class.
Similar to last year with him throwing shade on guys like Cyril and Dowtin, and we all know how that turned out. :)
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote:Our friends up north love the numbahs...our old pal RJ has already done his annual downplay on the quality of our recruiting class.
Similar to last year with him throwing shade on guys like Cyril and Dowtin, and we all know how that turned out. :)
Yeah, I hope Duke goes to Va. Tech. Screw those guys.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think Brendan will get a fourth star. That would be 3 four star players and two 3 star players.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:Our friends up north love the numbahs...our old pal RJ has already done his annual downplay on the quality of our recruiting class.

After all these years would you expect anything different from your average Friar fan? After all they have the premier program in the Northeast.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They are astronomers up there, they love their stars. Blueram you would fit in :)
(Cue the 500 word dissertation on the probability of 4 stars being more successful than 3 stars from RJ)
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Please show us some quotes... I would love to see how they can try and downplay this class.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I do love the National attention URI gets from landing a highly ranked recruit. It's doesn't mean much in the long run, but that's what sells.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The only way to shut pc up is to crush them.

Just like the sawx shut up the mfy in 04....
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:I think Brendan will get a fourth star. That would be 3 four star players and two 3 star players.
What is that based on?
We now have three recnt post projecting Amir who is unrated (and 2 star on verbal commits) will become a 3 star, Tate will become a 4 star because a rating services that we say sucks (ESPN) just changed him to a 4 and Adams will become a 4 star because theblueram thinks so.

Really?
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:I think Brendan will get a fourth star. That would be 3 four star players and two 3 star players.
What is that based on?
We now have three recnt post projecting Amir who is unrated (and 2 star on verbal commits) will become a 3 star, Tate will become a 4 star because a rating services that we say sucks (ESPN) just changed him to a 4 and Adams will become a 4 star because theblueram thinks so.

Really?
I've specifically talked about Amir, not the other guys, because I think the scouting services have just missed him. There is a group-think mentality with these rankings sometimes and sometimes that means that guys that are a little off the radar get overlooked until they suddenly get on the radar, then all of a sudden everyone ranks them.

The evaluators have seen the other guys already - that's why they've been ranked - but I don't believe that Amir has been evaluated yet. Being part of a class like this, all of these evaluators will make it a point to review his tape and watch him this season, and I think he'll end up being ranked.

Maybe you'll be right and I'll be wrong, but I'd be glad to make a friendly wager about it.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote:
Please show us some quotes... I would love to see how they can try and downplay this class.
It’s only RJ downplaying the class, in response to a positive comment from FRIAR98 about Adams verbal within their David Duke recruiting thread.....

rjsuperfly66 11736 posts Oct 9, 10:19 AM via Mobile
FRIAR98 said... (original post)
“Wow!URI with another recruit this time Brendan Adams. We need you David come on.”

RJ reply........URI has had a good class, but it’s built on the back of one major piece and a lot of guys who are “underrated.” If you take their 24/7 recruiting ranking and place it into last years rankings, I believe that would give them the #35 class in the country. The fact they they have recruited 5 guys in October is why their rankings appear to be so strong, it will level off as other teams land major commitments.
A Duke commitment would push PC into the top 10, and would all but assure another Top 15 recruiting class for Coach Cooley.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I don’t see their class , even with David Duke, to be 25 spots or more better then Rhody.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Duke and Reeves would be a big 1-2 punch for them
That said, i agree with what DH has said in that from 30-150 there is at times razor thin differences in talent and very subjective rankings based on small sample size.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Vcu class of 2014 was highly rated and that didn't pan out so well so you really never know
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:
It’s only RJ downplaying the class, in response to a positive comment from FRIAR98 about Adams verbal within their David Duke recruiting thread.....

rjsuperfly66 11736 posts Oct 9, 10:19 AM via Mobile
FRIAR98 said... (original post)
“Wow!URI with another recruit this time Brendan Adams. We need you David come on.”

RJ reply........URI has had a good class, but it’s built on the back of one major piece and a lot of guys who are “underrated.” If you take their 24/7 recruiting ranking and place it into last years rankings, I believe that would give them the #35 class in the country. The fact they they have recruited 5 guys in October is why their rankings appear to be so strong, it will level off as other teams land major commitments.
A Duke commitment would push PC into the top 10, and would all but assure another Top 15 recruiting class for Coach Cooley.

You have to understand RJ has forever believed PC to be in a different stratosphere in Conference and in Recruiting to URI, so it's tough to experience the gap continuing to narrow....

Going by 247 / CBS Sports:

#49 AJ Reeves - Providence: Reeves is #53 on ESPN and #45 on Rivals. Reeves is 8th ranked SG among the Top 50 SG's on ESPN
#80 Jermaine Harris - URI: On ESPN Harris is ranked #85 and on Rivals he is #76. Harris is the 7th ranked Center among the Top 50 ESPN Centers
#166 Tyrese Martin - URI
#179 Brendan Adams - URI: Adams is also ranked #131 on Rivals Top 150
#195 Jimmy Nichols - Providence
#209 Dana Tate - URI: Tate is ranked #37 among the Top 50 ESPN SF's and a 4 Star Player on ESPN
#338 Kris Monroe - Providence: Monroe is ranked #42 among the Top 50 ESPN PF's

Out of 454 players on 247/CBS Amir Harris was not listed
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
What is that based on?

Really?
Yes I am an oracle of stars. It's a message board. It's my opinion. Tate IS a 4 star on ESPN. He doesn't need to become one. And Adam's is what, 130 on Rivals? Doesn't need much to improve to a 4 star.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Star counting is important:

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
What is that based on?

Really?
Yes I am an oracle of stars. It's a message board. It's my opinion. Tate IS a 4 star on ESPN. He doesn't need to become one. And Adam's is what, 130 on Rivals? Doesn't need much to improve to a 4 star.
Tate IS a 3 star on every other recruiting site but ESPN (which sucks). Adams IS a 3 star on every recruiting site.
It doesn’t matter to me where the URI class ends up being rated. What matters is that Dan and staff landed their top 4 targets including a very good PF that was needed. Let’s see how the play college ball next year. I am excited for that.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
What is that based on?

Really?
Tate IS a 3 star on every other recruiting site but ESPN (which sucks). Adams IS a 3 star on every recruiting site.
It doesn’t matter to me where the URI class ends up being rated. What matters is that Dan and staff landed their top 4 targets including a very good PF that was needed. Let’s see how the play college ball next year. I am excited for that.
gotta be the first Rhody fan to down grade a recruit.Still, never hear much about Rivals top 100, or Scout Top 100. But ESPN Top 100 remains a leader. So enjoy watching the games on Scout and Rivals, since they provide so much National attention.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
What is that based on?

Really?
I've specifically talked about Amir, not the other guys, because I think the scouting services have just missed him. There is a group-think mentality with these rankings sometimes and sometimes that means that guys that are a little off the radar get overlooked until they suddenly get on the radar, then all of a sudden everyone ranks them.

The evaluators have seen the other guys already - that's why they've been ranked - but I don't believe that Amir has been evaluated yet. Being part of a class like this, all of these evaluators will make it a point to review his tape and watch him this season, and I think he'll end up being ranked.

Maybe you'll be right and I'll be wrong, but I'd be glad to make a friendly wager about it.
Can ee still make that friendly wager :D
I will bet Amir doesn’t become get overall 3 star rating.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sure, if you want. I'll bet you a beer he does.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhode Island University lol
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Welcome Brendan!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by ace »

(And yes, I am avoiding work by reading about basketball)
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Do you think Brendan will be at Saturday's game?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

IDK if he will be there or not. Would make sense, but could also be a little awkward for him (either rooting against his brother or his future team?)

While I'm here, just had the thought that Jermaine deserves all of the love and attention he gets from Rhody fans, but I feel like people are not excited enough about Brendan. I really think this dude is going to be a super player at URI. Do not sleep on him.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

TruePoint wrote:IDK if he will be there or not. Would make sense, but could also be a little awkward for him (either rooting against his brother or his future team?)

While I'm here, just had the thought that Jermaine deserves all of the love and attention he gets from Rhody fans, but I feel like people are not excited enough about Brendan. I really think this dude is going to be a super player at URI. Do not sleep on him.
Agreed, i think he's gonna be a special player. If he's 75% of what Jaylen is, he will be a stud, and I think he will
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody74 wrote:Do you think Brendan will be at Saturday's game?
His mom will be at the game, I'm not sure about Brendan.

It will be interesting to see how the Ruckus handles that. Will they do the standard sucks after Jaylen is introduced? Do they even know enough about recruiting to know that his brother will be here next year?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Do you think Brendan will be at Saturday's game?
His mom will be at the game, I'm not sure about Brendan.

It will be interesting to see how the Ruckus handles that. Will they do the standard sucks after Jaylen is introduced? Do they even know enough about recruiting to know that his brother will be here next year?
I seriously doubt it. Maybe a few know, like the ones who are members here.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It's also just a typical student section thing to do, it is obviously not meant personally nor should it be taken personally. I seriously doubt that anyone would take much offense to it. They do it to every player - they wouldn't be singling out Jaylen.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brendan sat behind the St Bonaventure bench during the game. After the game he came down to the URI Bench and went into the URI Locker Room
0 x