'18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (UConn)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What surprises me about Adams is that Dowtin and Fatts are in front of him. I think they would tell him he is ahead of Amir and that Martin will play the 2/3. Adams could play the 1 & 2.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That is a concern...it's not like we are in great need of another PG......however from what we know, this kid could be the best of the group.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody83 wrote:What surprises me about Adams is that Dowtin and Fatts are in front of him. I think they would tell him he is ahead of Amir and that Martin will play the 2/3. Adams could play the 1 & 2.
We usually play with multiple primary ball handlers so this positional bias doesn't affect us or our recruiting one bit. Kids know they'll have an amazing opportunity if they come in and work for their spot.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Remember when EC was a PG? Seems like a long time ago.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

People said the same thing about Fatts last year. If you can play, this staff will get you onto the floor.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

If we're playing 4 guards this year and 3 are graduating then clearly there is time to be had.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Also have to remember players aren't glued to the position next to their names on these recruiting threads. Dowtin came in as a SG last year and I don't remember anyone talking about his passing abilities in his recruiting thread but he ended up being our best PG last year.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I jumped the gun a bit. Announcement will be Sunday. As I've said, URI in good position.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote:I jumped the gun a bit. Announcement will be Sunday. As I've said, URI in good position.

That's good to hear.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URI96 wrote:If we're playing 4 guards this year and 3 are graduating then clearly there is time to be had.
We're actually graduating 4 guards.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:
URI96 wrote:If we're playing 4 guards this year and 3 are graduating then clearly there is time to be had.
going even beyond that, the only guard who has played any minutes for us that'll be on the roster 2 years from now (Adams's soph year) is Dowtin.

also, who cares if there are other guards, give me the kid that welcomes the competition, not shies away from it
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
going even beyond that, the only guard who has played any minutes for us that'll be on the roster 2 years from now (Adams's soph year) is Dowtin.

also, who cares if there are other guards, give me the kid that welcomes the competition, not shies away from it
Thompson will be here if he redshirts this year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Pretty sure playing time is dictated by ability to defend and ability to score. If you got it, your gonna be playing.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Instead of copying replies above and responding to each,I will list my responses below:
Playing multiple ballhandlers - how often did you see Garret and Dowtin on the floor together?
Fatts only had 1 PG ahead of him for his last three years.
We will not be playing 4 guards next year - Cyril,Preston & J Harris!
Dowtin did not come in as a SG last year - look at his recruiting thread (PG). He was rated high as a passer and weakness was shooting
Who cares if there are other guards - most recruits, that’s who. Seriously kids look at it. Playing time as early as possible is very high on selection criteria for incoming freshmen
As stated,Thompson will be a Jr.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Like I said, if the player can contribute, the coaches will find a way to get him on the floor. Fatts looks like he will be absolutely buried this year on paper. Watch how that plays out - I predict Fatts will be heard from. They don't bury guys that can play, and part of that is that they don't assign a player a position and then strictly adhere to that.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I really like Fatts a lot. Hopefully he gets some playing time the 2nd half of the season. Dan is loyal to experienced players. Dowtin only got his chance last year after JG got sick.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think it's hard to say that Dowtin only got a chance because Jarvis was sick, because Jarvis did get sick. People have said Tom Brady only got his chance because Bledsoe got hurt, but it's hard for me to believe that he wouldn't have eventually got on the field. I suspect Dowtin would have gotten himself on the court, eventually, too.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I hope Adams signs with Rhody. That isn’t my point.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:I think it's hard to say that Dowtin only got a chance because Jarvis was sick, because Jarvis did get sick. People have said Tom Brady only got his chance because Bledsoe got hurt, but it's hard for me to believe that he wouldn't have eventually got on the field. I suspect Dowtin would have gotten himself on the court, eventually, too.
Maybe only was too strong of a word.
JG’s last game before getting sick was Jan 12th vs LaSalle. He never played 20+ minutes the rest of the year.
Dowtin’s first game of 20+ minutes was Jan 12th vs LaSalle. He played 20+ minutes the rest of the year. He avg 29 minutes/game from Jan 15th on.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:Instead of copying replies above and responding to each,I will list my responses below:
Playing multiple ballhandlers - how often did you see Garret and Dowtin on the floor together?
Fatts only had 1 PG ahead of him for his last three years.
We will not be playing 4 guards next year - Cyril,Preston & J Harris!
Dowtin did not come in as a SG last year - look at his recruiting thread (PG). He was rated high as a passer and weakness was shooting
Who cares if there are other guards - most recruits, that’s who. Seriously kids look at it. Playing time as early as possible is very high on selection criteria for incoming freshmen
Kids 100% look at playing time and URI will only have three guards on the roster outside of the incoming class and Adams will be the number 1 guard in this class if he commits. Can ask for a better opportunity for playing time then that.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhody83 wrote: Dowtin did not come in as a SG last year - look at his recruiting thread (PG). He was rated high as a passer and weakness was shooting
Yea you're right, not sure why I had it in my head that he came in as a SG. That definitely makes a lot of sense lol, I always thought it was strange how good he looks at point and how weird his shot is.

Either way, if Adams is as good as he seems I'm sure he won't have trouble finding minutes!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Stay on topic fellas lol
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Adams is #1 Guard target for this class. Let’s get him.
Back on topic.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think Adams knows how good Amir Harris is. They know each other. But if he's confident in his own ability, it shouldn't matter.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They can also both play, perhaps frequently at the same time as they get deeper into their careers. That's the thing. We play basically three guards at minimum all the time, and that's 120 minutes per game. You could play 4 guys 30 minutes per game, or five guys 24 minutes, or six guys 20 minutes. There are enough minutes.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I also remember when guys wondered why we wanted Stan Robinson given how stacked we were at 2 and 3. Without him we lose by 20 to Oregon.
Guys who can play will get PT. If he's worried about getting recruited over or having competition for playing time at URI then his only option is to downgrade to a low major where he is assured to be the man. Everyone has 3-4 guards on their roster that can play, unless they suck.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: Guys who can play will get PT. If he's worried about getting recruited over or having competition for playing time at URI then his only option is to downgrade to a low major where he is assured to be the man. Everyone has 3-4 guards on their roster that can play, unless they suck.
Kind of a broad brush. Our spin on J Harris is come to URI because you will get immediate playing time. There are other colleges at URI’s level that have many more returning front court players. Just like there are other colleges at URI’s level that have a lot less returning PGs (like zero).
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree that DH will play the best players . If you are talented you will see the floor
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

nm
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I had the perception he was a knockdown 3 point shooter. The thing is that most of the guys coming in have shot the 3 ball well in high school(Thompson).

I think Dowtin's difference comes with him playing with the top players in his class and the confidence that comes with that experience. Confidence in CBB and really sports is one of the keys.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm not sure what we're talking about anymore. Looking forward to Friday and Sunday. Harris was URI's top big man target, Adams was their top guard target. Nice recruiting class already but with these two I think it would be top 15.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes, let's focus on what's ahead: Adams.

No more huge pasted text blocks on players not named Brendan Adams in this thread, please.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Or maybe even not copy-pasted text blocks on Adams? Geez, that was a lot of words.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Yes, let's focus on what's ahead: Adams.

No more huge pasted text blocks on players not named Brendan Adams in this thread, please.
Gone. Erased. I was addressing a comment about a player other than Adams and even apologized for addressing it in the Adam's thread.
No problem.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:I'm not sure what we're talking about anymore. Looking forward to Friday and Sunday. Harris was URI's top big man target, Adams was their top guard target. Nice recruiting class already but with these two I think it would be top 15.
I was addressing comment about Dowtin made in this thread. Erased.

Back to Adams.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Did Iggy tell Brendan when to announce or did Iggy know before Brendan :D
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Let's finish this weekend strong!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm feeling more confident about Brendan than Jermaine.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I have a feeling the timing of Adams decision in comparison to Harris is not a coincidence. Harris commits to Rhody I think we get Adams too. If Harris goes to Xavier I think Adams is going to choose Georgia.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

They are not synonymous, at all. 90% sure we get Adams either way.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Did Adams take an official visit to Univ of Georgia?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Did Adams take an official visit to Univ of Georgia?
Yes, back in August.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

4 for 4. One to go!!!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Up next on the clock..........................
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Legitimate question for the Rods, Iggys and longtimers:

If we get Brendan Adams to commit, where does this class rank all-time on paper?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Blue Man wrote:Legitimate question for the Rods, Iggys and longtimers:

If we get Brendan Adams to commit, where does this class rank all-time on paper?
Harrick had been working on a monster class before absconding to Georgia. And there were individuals who were better (Sly Williams, Lamar Odom). But for both quantity and quality, this ranks near the top. Rod has a better memory, tho.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

Rhody74 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Legitimate question for the Rods, Iggys and longtimers:

Harrick had been working on a monster class before absconding to Georgia. And there were individuals who were better (Sly Williams, Lamar Odom). But for both quantity and quality, this ranks near the top. Rod has a better memory, tho.
Agreed on this class being near the top. I'd say the '85-86 Freshman class of Colson, Kenny Green and John Evans has got to be near the top too. Not to get ahead of ourselves, but think of Dowtin and Russell as the versions of Tom Garrick and Carlton Owens combined with this 18 recruitment class joining next year!
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Oh, I like her. That last entry is great.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:
Oh, I like her. That last entry is great.
Great articles.

Interesting that the 1st 4 questions are academic related:
•What academic support do you have in place?
•How often does the coaching staff meet to discuss each player’s academic profile and standings?
•What is the coach to player ratio for academic and personal accountability for the player?
•What’s the teams graduation rate?
0 x