'18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 549
Joined: 2 years ago
x 192

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

What surprises me about Adams is that Dowtin and Fatts are in front of him. I think they would tell him he is ahead of Amir and that Martin will play the 2/3. Adams could play the 1 & 2.
0 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10349
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1121

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby rambone 78 » 1 month ago

That is a concern...it's not like we are in great need of another PG......however from what we know, this kid could be the best of the group.
0 x

CT Rhody
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1080
Joined: 5 years ago
x 197

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby CT Rhody » 1 month ago

Rhody83 wrote:What surprises me about Adams is that Dowtin and Fatts are in front of him. I think they would tell him he is ahead of Amir and that Martin will play the 2/3. Adams could play the 1 & 2.


We usually play with multiple primary ball handlers so this positional bias doesn't affect us or our recruiting one bit. Kids know they'll have an amazing opportunity if they come in and work for their spot.
0 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2740
Joined: 5 years ago
x 530

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby theblueram » 1 month ago

Remember when EC was a PG? Seems like a long time ago.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8846
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1964

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

People said the same thing about Fatts last year. If you can play, this staff will get you onto the floor.
1 x

URI96
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 450
Joined: 5 years ago
x 16

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby URI96 » 1 month ago

If we're playing 4 guards this year and 3 are graduating then clearly there is time to be had.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.

josephski
Art Stephenson
Posts: 776
Joined: 2 years ago
x 233

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby josephski » 1 month ago

Also have to remember players aren't glued to the position next to their names on these recruiting threads. Dowtin came in as a SG last year and I don't remember anyone talking about his passing abilities in his recruiting thread but he ended up being our best PG last year.
1 x

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3061
Joined: 5 years ago
x 423

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Iggy1979 » 1 month ago

I jumped the gun a bit. Announcement will be Sunday. As I've said, URI in good position.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

CT Rhody
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1080
Joined: 5 years ago
x 197

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby CT Rhody » 1 month ago

Iggy1979 wrote:I jumped the gun a bit. Announcement will be Sunday. As I've said, URI in good position.


That's good to hear.
0 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8359
Joined: 5 years ago
x 947

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

URI96 wrote:If we're playing 4 guards this year and 3 are graduating then clearly there is time to be had.

We're actually graduating 4 guards.
0 x

User avatar
Da_Process_Survivor
ARD
Posts: 659
Joined: 2 years ago
x 565

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Da_Process_Survivor » 1 month ago

Billyboy78 wrote:
URI96 wrote:If we're playing 4 guards this year and 3 are graduating then clearly there is time to be had.

We're actually graduating 4 guards.


going even beyond that, the only guard who has played any minutes for us that'll be on the roster 2 years from now (Adams's soph year) is Dowtin.

also, who cares if there are other guards, give me the kid that welcomes the competition, not shies away from it
0 x
---
The ghosts have been exorcized! Praise be to Hurley
---

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8359
Joined: 5 years ago
x 947

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
URI96 wrote:If we're playing 4 guards this year and 3 are graduating then clearly there is time to be had.

We're actually graduating 4 guards.


going even beyond that, the only guard who has played any minutes for us that'll be on the roster 2 years from now (Adams's soph year) is Dowtin.

also, who cares if there are other guards, give me the kid that welcomes the competition, not shies away from it

Thompson will be here if he redshirts this year.
0 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2740
Joined: 5 years ago
x 530

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby theblueram » 1 month ago

Pretty sure playing time is dictated by ability to defend and ability to score. If you got it, your gonna be playing.
0 x

Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 549
Joined: 2 years ago
x 192

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

Instead of copying replies above and responding to each,I will list my responses below:
Playing multiple ballhandlers - how often did you see Garret and Dowtin on the floor together?
Fatts only had 1 PG ahead of him for his last three years.
We will not be playing 4 guards next year - Cyril,Preston & J Harris!
Dowtin did not come in as a SG last year - look at his recruiting thread (PG). He was rated high as a passer and weakness was shooting
Who cares if there are other guards - most recruits, that’s who. Seriously kids look at it. Playing time as early as possible is very high on selection criteria for incoming freshmen
As stated,Thompson will be a Jr.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8846
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1964

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

Like I said, if the player can contribute, the coaches will find a way to get him on the floor. Fatts looks like he will be absolutely buried this year on paper. Watch how that plays out - I predict Fatts will be heard from. They don't bury guys that can play, and part of that is that they don't assign a player a position and then strictly adhere to that.
2 x

Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 549
Joined: 2 years ago
x 192

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

I really like Fatts a lot. Hopefully he gets some playing time the 2nd half of the season. Dan is loyal to experienced players. Dowtin only got his chance last year after JG got sick.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8846
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1964

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

I think it's hard to say that Dowtin only got a chance because Jarvis was sick, because Jarvis did get sick. People have said Tom Brady only got his chance because Bledsoe got hurt, but it's hard for me to believe that he wouldn't have eventually got on the field. I suspect Dowtin would have gotten himself on the court, eventually, too.
0 x

Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 549
Joined: 2 years ago
x 192

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

I hope Adams signs with Rhody. That isn’t my point.
0 x

Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 549
Joined: 2 years ago
x 192

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

TruePoint wrote:I think it's hard to say that Dowtin only got a chance because Jarvis was sick, because Jarvis did get sick. People have said Tom Brady only got his chance because Bledsoe got hurt, but it's hard for me to believe that he wouldn't have eventually got on the field. I suspect Dowtin would have gotten himself on the court, eventually, too.


Maybe only was too strong of a word.
JG’s last game before getting sick was Jan 12th vs LaSalle. He never played 20+ minutes the rest of the year.
Dowtin’s first game of 20+ minutes was Jan 12th vs LaSalle. He played 20+ minutes the rest of the year. He avg 29 minutes/game from Jan 15th on.
0 x

CT Rhody
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1080
Joined: 5 years ago
x 197

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby CT Rhody » 1 month ago

Rhody83 wrote:Instead of copying replies above and responding to each,I will list my responses below:
Playing multiple ballhandlers - how often did you see Garret and Dowtin on the floor together?
Fatts only had 1 PG ahead of him for his last three years.
We will not be playing 4 guards next year - Cyril,Preston & J Harris!
Dowtin did not come in as a SG last year - look at his recruiting thread (PG). He was rated high as a passer and weakness was shooting
Who cares if there are other guards - most recruits, that’s who. Seriously kids look at it. Playing time as early as possible is very high on selection criteria for incoming freshmen
As stated,Thompson will be a Jr.


Kids 100% look at playing time and URI will only have three guards on the roster outside of the incoming class and Adams will be the number 1 guard in this class if he commits. Can ask for a better opportunity for playing time then that.
0 x

josephski
Art Stephenson
Posts: 776
Joined: 2 years ago
x 233

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby josephski » 1 month ago

Rhody83 wrote:Dowtin did not come in as a SG last year - look at his recruiting thread (PG). He was rated high as a passer and weakness was shooting
As stated,Thompson will be a Jr.


Yea you're right, not sure why I had it in my head that he came in as a SG. That definitely makes a lot of sense lol, I always thought it was strange how good he looks at point and how weird his shot is.

Either way, if Adams is as good as he seems I'm sure he won't have trouble finding minutes!
0 x

DC_Rams
Jeff Kent
Posts: 191
Joined: 3 years ago
x 74

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby DC_Rams » 1 month ago

Stay on topic fellas lol
0 x

Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 549
Joined: 2 years ago
x 192

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

Adams is #1 Guard target for this class. Let’s get him.
Back on topic.
1 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8359
Joined: 5 years ago
x 947

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

I think Adams knows how good Amir Harris is. They know each other. But if he's confident in his own ability, it shouldn't matter.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8846
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1964

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

They can also both play, perhaps frequently at the same time as they get deeper into their careers. That's the thing. We play basically three guards at minimum all the time, and that's 120 minutes per game. You could play 4 guys 30 minutes per game, or five guys 24 minutes, or six guys 20 minutes. There are enough minutes.
0 x

User avatar
bigappleram
Sly Williams
Posts: 3777
Joined: 5 years ago
x 893

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby bigappleram » 1 month ago

I also remember when guys wondered why we wanted Stan Robinson given how stacked we were at 2 and 3. Without him we lose by 20 to Oregon.
Guys who can play will get PT. If he's worried about getting recruited over or having competition for playing time at URI then his only option is to downgrade to a low major where he is assured to be the man. Everyone has 3-4 guards on their roster that can play, unless they suck.
1 x

Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 549
Joined: 2 years ago
x 192

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

bigappleram wrote:Guys who can play will get PT. If he's worried about getting recruited over or having competition for playing time at URI then his only option is to downgrade to a low major where he is assured to be the man. Everyone has 3-4 guards on their roster that can play, unless they suck.


Kind of a broad brush. Our spin on J Harris is come to URI because you will get immediate playing time. There are other colleges at URI’s level that have many more returning front court players. Just like there are other colleges at URI’s level that have a lot less returning PGs (like zero).
0 x

reef
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3035
Joined: 5 years ago
x 439

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby reef » 1 month ago

Agree that DH will play the best players . If you are talented you will see the floor
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7044
Joined: 5 years ago
x 984

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

nm
0 x

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2943
Joined: 5 years ago
x 420

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Seawrightspostgame » 1 month ago

I had the perception he was a knockdown 3 point shooter. The thing is that most of the guys coming in have shot the 3 ball well in high school(Thompson).

I think Dowtin's difference comes with him playing with the top players in his class and the confidence that comes with that experience. Confidence in CBB and really sports is one of the keys.
0 x
I just think this team has an identity now. - Tue Feb 21, 2017

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3061
Joined: 5 years ago
x 423

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Iggy1979 » 1 month ago

I'm not sure what we're talking about anymore. Looking forward to Friday and Sunday. Harris was URI's top big man target, Adams was their top guard target. Nice recruiting class already but with these two I think it would be top 15.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9394
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 981
Contact:

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 month ago

Yes, let's focus on what's ahead: Adams.

No more huge pasted text blocks on players not named Brendan Adams in this thread, please.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8846
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1964

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 month ago

Or maybe even not copy-pasted text blocks on Adams? Geez, that was a lot of words.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7044
Joined: 5 years ago
x 984

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

ATPTourFan wrote:Yes, let's focus on what's ahead: Adams.

No more huge pasted text blocks on players not named Brendan Adams in this thread, please.


Gone. Erased. I was addressing a comment about a player other than Adams and even apologized for addressing it in the Adam's thread.
No problem.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7044
Joined: 5 years ago
x 984

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

Iggy1979 wrote:I'm not sure what we're talking about anymore. Looking forward to Friday and Sunday. Harris was URI's top big man target, Adams was their top guard target. Nice recruiting class already but with these two I think it would be top 15.


I was addressing comment about Dowtin made in this thread. Erased.

Back to Adams.
0 x

URIRecruitingInfo
Jeff Kent
Posts: 181
Joined: 9 months ago
x 68

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby URIRecruitingInfo » 1 month ago





0 x

Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 549
Joined: 2 years ago
x 192

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

Did Iggy tell Brendan when to announce or did Iggy know before Brendan :D
0 x

CT Rhody
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1080
Joined: 5 years ago
x 197

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby CT Rhody » 1 month ago

Let's finish this weekend strong!
0 x

User avatar
Rhody74
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2513
Joined: 5 years ago
x 366

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody74 » 1 month ago

I'm feeling more confident about Brendan than Jermaine.
0 x
“What comes next is going to be big, and it’s going to be beautiful.”

Joe95
Frenchy Tomlin
Posts: 20
Joined: 2 months ago
x 6

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Joe95 » 1 month ago

I have a feeling the timing of Adams decision in comparison to Harris is not a coincidence. Harris commits to Rhody I think we get Adams too. If Harris goes to Xavier I think Adams is going to choose Georgia.
0 x

DC_Rams
Jeff Kent
Posts: 191
Joined: 3 years ago
x 74

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby DC_Rams » 1 month ago

They are not synonymous, at all. 90% sure we get Adams either way.
0 x

Rhody83
ARD
Posts: 549
Joined: 2 years ago
x 192

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 1 month ago

Did Adams take an official visit to Univ of Georgia?
0 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8359
Joined: 5 years ago
x 947

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

Rhody83 wrote:Did Adams take an official visit to Univ of Georgia?

Yes, back in August.
0 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8359
Joined: 5 years ago
x 947

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

4 for 4. One to go!!!
1 x

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4148
Joined: 5 years ago
x 757

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby RF1 » 1 month ago

Up next on the clock..........................
0 x

User avatar
Blue Man
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2410
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1426

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Blue Man » 1 month ago

Legitimate question for the Rods, Iggys and longtimers:

If we get Brendan Adams to commit, where does this class rank all-time on paper?
2 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

User avatar
Rhody74
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2513
Joined: 5 years ago
x 366

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby Rhody74 » 1 month ago

Blue Man wrote:Legitimate question for the Rods, Iggys and longtimers:

If we get Brendan Adams to commit, where does this class rank all-time on paper?

Harrick had been working on a monster class before absconding to Georgia. And there were individuals who were better (Sly Williams, Lamar Odom). But for both quantity and quality, this ranks near the top. Rod has a better memory, tho.
2 x
“What comes next is going to be big, and it’s going to be beautiful.”

User avatar
bmat07
Frenchy Tomlin
Posts: 21
Joined: 2 months ago
Location: PA
x 30

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby bmat07 » 1 month ago

Rhody74 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Legitimate question for the Rods, Iggys and longtimers:

If we get Brendan Adams to commit, where does this class rank all-time on paper?

Harrick had been working on a monster class before absconding to Georgia. And there were individuals who were better (Sly Williams, Lamar Odom). But for both quantity and quality, this ranks near the top. Rod has a better memory, tho.


Agreed on this class being near the top. I'd say the '85-86 Freshman class of Colson, Kenny Green and John Evans has got to be near the top too. Not to get ahead of ourselves, but think of Dowtin and Russell as the versions of Tom Garrick and Carlton Owens combined with this 18 recruitment class joining next year!
3 x

User avatar
ace
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 5273
Joined: 5 years ago
x 501

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby ace » 1 month ago



Oh, I like her. That last entry is great.
2 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7044
Joined: 5 years ago
x 984

Re: '18 MD PG - Brendan Adams (Offer)

Unread postby ramster » 1 month ago

ace wrote:


Oh, I like her. That last entry is great.


Great articles.

Interesting that the 1st 4 questions are academic related:
•What academic support do you have in place?
•How often does the coaching staff meet to discuss each player’s academic profile and standings?
•What is the coach to player ratio for academic and personal accountability for the player?
•What’s the teams graduation rate?
0 x


Return to “Recruitment Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: am1960, Bing [Bot] and 3 guests