'18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Nebraska --> GW)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Offer)

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Blue Man wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
What is the staff's thought on how he projects on the court since you seem to have inside knowledge? Major contributor by what year is their projection?
Just was texting with an assistant from the Baltimore Catholic League and he mentioned that he was surprised we got Amir because he was bound to blow up. Really tore the league up last year in many ways. I think the hope is that these commits can do what all of our commits have been able to do, come in and help in varying ways to eventually have starring moments and then be stars of the A10. Amir will follow suit.
I hope everyone is noticing this pattern where Dan and Co swoop in early, identify these kids before they blow up in their senior years, and develop them into studs.

Jeff Dowtin and Cyril were barely heralded when we got them as recruits, as noted here. Same with Fatts.

Now you're adding in 6'5 and 6'6 into your back court. You have a 6'7 combo G/F as well. They will play on a team for 2 years with one of the biggest- playing 6'8 forwards I've seen.

If we get Jermaine Harris or Chris Doherty and Brendan Adams - we can just expand the North Lobby to fit 5 more A10 trophys in there over the next 5 years.

Plus - you lock in those 5 guys, add in the improvements that continue to happen to our facilities, and you see this program elevate? You can count on Dan Hurley leading this program for at least another 5 years.
If they are able to land Harris and Adam's, just makes next offseason that much hard for Dan to leave if the right program comes sniffing around.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote: If they are able to land Harris and Adam's, just makes next offseason that much hard for Dan to leave if the right program comes sniffing around.
Unless they change the transfer rule making players immediately eligible. Dan could then leave and take the entire team with him.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote: If they are able to land Harris and Adam's, just makes next offseason that much hard for Dan to leave if the right program comes sniffing around.
Unless they change the transfer rule making players immediately eligible. Dan could then leave and take the entire team with him.
Doubt they make this change that quickly, if at all.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

CT Rhody wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
Just was texting with an assistant from the Baltimore Catholic League and he mentioned that he was surprised we got Amir because he was bound to blow up. Really tore the league up last year in many ways. I think the hope is that these commits can do what all of our commits have been able to do, come in and help in varying ways to eventually have starring moments and then be stars of the A10. Amir will follow suit.
I hope everyone is noticing this pattern where Dan and Co swoop in early, identify these kids before they blow up in their senior years, and develop them into studs.

Jeff Dowtin and Cyril were barely heralded when we got them as recruits, as noted here. Same with Fatts.

Now you're adding in 6'5 and 6'6 into your back court. You have a 6'7 combo G/F as well. They will play on a team for 2 years with one of the biggest- playing 6'8 forwards I've seen.

If we get Jermaine Harris or Chris Doherty and Brendan Adams - we can just expand the North Lobby to fit 5 more A10 trophys in there over the next 5 years.

Plus - you lock in those 5 guys, add in the improvements that continue to happen to our facilities, and you see this program elevate? You can count on Dan Hurley leading this program for at least another 5 years.
If they are able to land Harris and Adam's, just makes next offseason that much hard for Dan to leave if the right program comes sniffing around.
With this class & the eventual success of this coming year it's time for the university club/athletic boosters and whomever to start plans to reTOOL Tootell. DH has mentioned many times that converting that rather than building new would be fine by him, but a practice facility is necessary because in another 10 years the Ryan will be nearly 30 years old and that will need to be looked at...

We need to change this kid from offered to commit btw ;)

It's good to be a Ram!
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Plenty of room in Tootell for a retrofit.
I like that idea better than a stand alone building.
Makes more sense from a cost factor.
Just land a big man, and off we go!
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I see Amir coming off the bench doing a little bit of everything (driving to the hoop/passing/rebounding) and you know Dan would love to play @ 9-10 guys so a good deep bench is important.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

One thing that comes across on his tapes is that Amir Harris is a 'high-motor' guy.
When you combine that with high basketball IQ and athleticism, great things typically happen.
Completely happy with this signing.
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'm excited about Harris!!! Welcome to Rhody!!! We are in the zone
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris (URI Commit)

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Coach Cox has done an amazing job
1 x
Common sense is not common.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Welcome home, Amir.

This staff crushes when they get kids on campus. Have to survive the next 4 days to get a crack at closing this thing out with Jermaine.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Do we know for sure Amir is related to Jermaine?

If so, gotta figure or chances are much better then i figured a few weeks ago.

I hate to denigrate schools but who on earth would want to live in West Virginia willingly for most of the next half decade?

Maryland is the school that really worries me...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

EGram wrote:Do we know for sure Amir is related to Jermaine?

I hate to denigrate schools but who on earth would want to live in West Virginia willingly for most of the next half decade?

Once again, as Slim said, not related. In fact, he said they barely know each other.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

EGram wrote:Do we know for sure Amir is related to Jermaine?

They're probably saying the same thing about Kingston, Rhode Island.....

Also, West Virgina is consistently one of the Top 5 party schools in the country.
0 x
Go Rhody
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

IMG_4725.PNG
This is great, but big shoes to follow Stan after Stan followed TJ with this number!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

God I love our colors.
4 x
GO RAMS
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Amir appears to have a long wingspan. Will be a defensive nightmare for most players he guards. *smile*

Welcome to Rhody-land, Amir! Congrats!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome to URI Amir Harris !!!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ABC...always be closing

now lets finish off the Harris to Harris connection and really put a bow on this class
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Wow this is all great stuff, another solid commit. Gotta give some love to David Cox too who is absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail.

Present and future look very bright for Rhody.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

David Cox should certainly get a lot of credit no doubt and Tom Moore is his short time here, he was very key in Tyrese Martin recruit. With time, I think he will also prove his worth and to be extremely valuable. Along with Dan, of course, I think this is a very strong staff. With all the turnover is the coaching ranks, hopefully we can keep this staff together for a few years.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

gio, that sure would be nice.

But word gets around, and unless the assistant money pool grows substantially and soon, we could lose one or two of them.....

Moore is making 500k a year, but for only this year and next.....and Cox will be a hot commodity if he isn't already.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

giovanni wrote:David Cox should certainly get a lot of credit no doubt and Tom Moore is his short time here, he was very key in Tyrese Martin recruit. With time, I think he will also prove his worth and to be extremely valuable. Along with Dan, of course, I think this is a very strong staff. With all the turnover is the coaching ranks, hopefully we can keep this staff together for a few years.
Don't forget about Boswell, his connection with Tate has been the starting point for these two other recruits to continue to believe as Dana Tate was one of the best "tweeners" in the EYBL
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

NorthernRamFan wrote:
giovanni wrote:David Cox should certainly get a lot of credit no doubt and Tom Moore is his short time here, he was very key in Tyrese Martin recruit. With time, I think he will also prove his worth and to be extremely valuable. Along with Dan, of course, I think this is a very strong staff. With all the turnover is the coaching ranks, hopefully we can keep this staff together for a few years.
Don't forget about Boswell, his connection with Tate has been the starting point for these two other recruits to continue to believe as Dana Tate was one of the best "tweeners" in the EYBL
Absolutely, you are certainly correct. Poor oversight on my part.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like Amir is recruiting now too. He and Brendan Adams followed each other today on twitter. Supposedly Amir is recruiting J. Harris too.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting that Amir Harris arrived for his visit on Friday, the day after the Thursday night Migos concert, and he committed on the weekend too :D :D :D
4 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote:Interesting that Amir Harris arrived for his visit on Friday, the day after the Thursday night Migos concert, and he committed on the weekend too :D :D :D
Pretty sure that just shows that last Thursday's issue that came to light in the public eye was nothing to be concerned about really. Something that totally was blown out of proportion... happy to see the kid verballed because he's going to be a stud!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good hopefully this controversy boils over
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

CT Rhody wrote:
Scouts nationally feel that this kid is an all league type player as he develops. If he did a post grad or reclassed into 19 he probably would be a top 100 kid
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Bad news lady & gents, Amir has decommitted...
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

That stinks. Any further details as to why ?
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

giovanni wrote:That stinks. Any further details as to why ?
No clue, total surprise. Koch just tweeted the news
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

As said before he had been to 4 HS in 4 years, so this is not really surprising. I imagine he got nervous when Adams committed it maybe too many guards.

I'll say atleast he didn't wait until after the seasons over to do it. It's still time left to find another great player.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Maybe he felt over recruited by Adams?
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote:Maybe he felt over recruited by Adams?

Perhaps, but he had to know URI was still recruiting Brendan and he was still considering URI seriously. From what I've read and seen on tape I thought kid had a high ceiling. But Rams still have a great class in tact, let's just hope for no more causalities. Leaving a scholarship open is not the worst thing either. With, or if all the other tremendous recruits are secure, we have a great class already if you added no one else. But with it being so early there are still a lot of players out there, not like he did this in May. And also time to look for late bloomers or kids that have great senior years and are still available in the spring. Also, if a transfer becomes available at some point. Would have loved to see Amir in Rhody blue, but wish him the best of luck whatever he does.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris

Bummer, wonder what happened??
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is, when Adams committed.....too many PG's.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote:My guess is, when Adams committed.....too many PG's.
Exactly what i'm now thinking. What's the chance that we sign another player for 18'?
0 x
GO RAMS
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Rhodymob05 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:My guess is, when Adams committed.....too many PG's.
Exactly what i'm now thinking. What's the chance that we sign another player for 18'?
Makes more sense now to hold a scholarship to balance the classes
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Has to be playing time, with these two other guards committed, plus Dowtin, Fatts, and Thompson already here, my guess is he just wanted more of an opportunity to play right away.
1 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

WOW
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Taking 5 is too much on a basketball team.

4 is a big class. Wait for a high end transfer. It is hard to keep 4 incoming freshman happy and focused on getting better. 5? impossible.

I am happy this happened, even if he turns out to be amazing.

Good luck to him. This makes the program stronger.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That is disappointing. I was excited about Amir and thought he was hugely underrated. However, there are worse things than giving Dan & Co. another scholarship to work with to find another player - whether that is this cycle or next cycle or in between with a transfer.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Too bad. I would've loved to see how Amir could develop, especially liked his potential on defense. Will be interesting to track his career wherever he ends up.

I'd definitely be open to taking a flyer on a late-bloomer, or waiting to pick up a solid transfer. Full faith in the staff to find a silver lining in this decommit.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Chances are the minutes were even more limited with the amount of guards we had. No big loss, he wasn’t going to be an immediate impact player anyway. Wish the kid nothing but the best.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

https://t.co/h5Sa94WRvq

Last couple lines of Koch's article: " The Rams are confident they’ll be clear of the nonsense that cost Rick Pitino his job at Louisville and has coaches from coast to coast running scared."

What exactly does that mean? I dearly hope the staff "knows" they'll be clear, not hopes.
1 x