'18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Nebraska --> GW)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

'18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Nebraska --> GW)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Amir Harris - PG
School: St. James (MD)
Travel/AAU: New World

Ht: 6'5"
Wt: 175

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 3 Stars, #47 SG
ESPN: 3 Stars, 77 Grade, #54 PG

OFFERS:
Rhode Island (Official Visit 9/15/17)*
BU
Mt. St. Mary's
Temple
Towson

*Verbally Committed 9/17/17, De-Committed 10/11/17

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ris-206122
http://247sports.com/Player/Amir-Harris-46041349
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... mir-harris
http://www.prepcircuit.com/roster_players/17865256
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/amir-harris
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 3 years ago, edited 16 times in total.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Offer)

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

We offered in April:

Nice player. Wiry. Looks like he can play the wing or facilitate.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If we want this kid that bad i have to suspect he, like Dowtin, is someone the staff feels is very underrated and fits the athletic mold they like on both ends of the floor.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

bigappleram wrote:If we want this kid that bad i have to suspect he, like Dowtin, is someone the staff feels is very underrated and fits the athletic mold they like on both ends of the floor.
Agreed
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NO HE HOH
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We're in his final 2........talk about out of the blue....any info on him?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

no....because, well.....NOHEHOH...,
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He looks very athletic in his highlights hope we edge out the owls
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Heard he might be 1st cousins with Jermaine Harris.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't know if we'd take his commitment with Brendan Adams still a ways away from a decision. I guess we don't know how the staff views these guys but assuming the recruiting services haven't totally missed the boat on Amir then you'd think that we'd want to know Adams's choice first. Wondering if we aren't a hat on the table here to give some suspense to his commitment to Temple.

Obviously I know nothing and am just speculating.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Package Deal?

We need some insider info here..
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I cannot attest to the reliability of my source however....never got info from her before this....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So, when does he intend to make a decision?
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Probably when he is ready.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Like his athleticism and finishing ablity but he won't be able to get tot he rim that easy in D1. Can he shoot?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Didn't see any attempts beyond 3 from the video above. There were a few 10-12 ft pull ups off the dribble, so being a combo guard quick on his feet he can create his own shot. I liked what I saw on the defensive end with him, he plays long with that wingspan for a guard, very Dowtin like.

Interesting that this update popped up out of the blue, completely forgot about this kid. I'm higher on Brendan Adams, Tyrese Martin, or Matt Balanc.

In my ideal Rhody recruiting world for the '18 year it would be the following...

Dana Tate (already URI commit)
Jermaine Harris
Brendan Adams
Tyrese Martin (if we don't land him then Matt Balanc slides in)
Leave the last scholly for a transfer or juco (maybe in spring signing period)

Again, the above is if everything fell into place in my mind haha, only time will tell. I'm sure others have a different layout. I just hope the Tate commitment is the start of Rhody's best recruiting ever or in a long long time
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Another big guard. (He's 6-5, not 6-3).
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

He does look big. Judging as a person who is 6'3. I was thinking wow that's what 6'3 looks like?!

The few shots you see in the tape show a stroke with minimal mechanics.

Agree Dowtin-like physically and the way his hook shots and layups look.

Though I hesitate to throw around Dowtin comparisons now that he has had so much success.
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

In terms of guards, Cox has brought in Stan, Jeff, and now Fatts. We should definitely trust his ability to identify talent, especially at the guard spot. If he thinks Harris would be a good fit with our team I trust him. The question is whether or not Harris is a high priority or a next tier recruit.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

This is from his Sophomore year. More jumpers in this one. Looks like he has a nice shot.
Scores at all three levels. Nice floater, too.

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Some quotes from Temples message board.....

"I googled Harris, and found indications that he has one 2** rating, that he is the 20th ranked 2018 player in the Prep Hoops Maryland Rankings, has had offers from Delaware, Towson, Drexel, BU, Penn, James Madison, and similar schools, that he is a 6'4"/6'5" combo guard who plays a number of his minutes as a PG. His average last season was 8.5 points, 4.7 rebounds. 4.3 assists, 1.3 blocks and 1.4 steals per game"

"if the best we can get is Amir Harris, I would recommend that FD should leave that recruiting spot open. He doesn't need another mediocre combo guard at this time."

"The only D1 offers those 2 had were from Temple where as Harris has multiple including an A10 offer. Now is this the recruiting pool that I want the Owls to live in, "NO". And it is frustrating that they haven't broken through with Top 100 "sexy" recruit"

"As for Harris, his recruitment isn't over and he may not end up at Temple. But there are things to like about his game. Albeit I am a bit biased because I like guys with a little flare to there game but I think Harris would be a good pick-up for the Owls."
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not sure what to say about this one. He is not rated by any sites. Remember, he will be the replacement for EC, Jared and Stan who were all 4* recruits. It doesn't add up for me.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NO HE HOH....... move on......
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote:Not sure what to say about this one. He is not rated by any sites. Remember, he will be the replacement for EC, Jared and Stan who were all 4* recruits. It doesn't add up for me.
Those three have pretty different skillsets though. You don't want three ECs, or three Jareds, or three Stans, probably. His skills sound more like Stan's - bigger guard who can defend - so I'm OK with using the scholarship on him, if you think he can develop that way.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:
theblueram wrote:Not sure what to say about this one. He is not rated by any sites. Remember, he will be the replacement for EC, Jared and Stan who were all 4* recruits. It doesn't add up for me.
Those three have pretty different skillsets though. You don't want three ECs, or three Jareds, or three Stans, probably. His skills sound more like Stan's - bigger guard who can defend - so I'm OK with using the scholarship on him, if you think he can develop that way.
I guess, but an unranked recruit who has skills like Stan who was a 4 star recruit seems, well, odd. And very unlikely.
3 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

theblueram wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
I guess, but an unranked recruit who has skills like Stan who was a 4 star recruit seems, well, odd. And very unlikely.
But how many guards in the last 4 years have they miss-evaluated? Not saying he'll have the same career, but his body type and skill-set seem like Charles Cooke in high school. Who was a 2-star lowly recruited player. Again, I'll trust Cox in his evaluation.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
We also already have Fatts and Dowtin, plus 1 more year of Thompson and then Tate already in the fold to. If you are expecting a team full of 12 or 13 4 star guys you are definitely going to be disappointed.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If getting him helps us get Jermaine, I'm all for it.

Like Adam said, we're not going to get all 4 star recruits here, ever.

The staff knows more about what's going on than we do, that's for sure.

If we can get Adams, or Williams, or Balanc also, all the better.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
True, but Stan was also a four-star who began his college career at Indiana, and then transferred here. I think if you re-did the rankings from his year, he probably wouldn't still be a four-star. It wouldn't surprise me if the truth lies somewhere in the middle - If Stan is actually more of a two or three star recruit, and Harris is more of a two or three star recruit (in the staff's opinion). They could be off in their evaluation of Harris, but they've generally had more hits than misses, especially with guards.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote:
I mean I'll take 3 ECs or 3 Jared's any day of the week...
2 x
Go Rhody
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote:
theblueram wrote:
SGreenwell wrote: Those three have pretty different skillsets though. You don't want three ECs, or three Jareds, or three Stans, probably. His skills sound more like Stan's - bigger guard who can defend - so I'm OK with using the scholarship on him, if you think he can develop that way.
True, but Stan was also a four-star who began his college career at Indiana, and then transferred here. I think if you re-did the rankings from his year, he probably wouldn't still be a four-star. It wouldn't surprise me if the truth lies somewhere in the middle - If Stan is actually more of a two or three star recruit, and Harris is more of a two or three star recruit (in the staff's opinion). They could be off in their evaluation of Harris, but they've generally had more hits than misses, especially with guards.
Rankings are all based on potential. His athleticism is clearly elite. An athlete like him that can pound the basketball (IMHO one of the best dribblers I have seen) will always get 4 stars based on his body and the fact he can chew gum and walk at the same time, plus he played against elite competition in HS. That begs for 4 stars.

I know we at URI and our peers always think guys outplay their rankings or don't live up to them and say things like a guy should have been more of a 4 star or 3 or 2 whatever. It kind of doesn't make sense though. It really is just a rating of their potential. So to apply a rating retroactively, ehh idk.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Official visit by Amir Harris Today - had not heard about this one coming :D :D

6'5" Point Guard - nice height

"Harris to Harris for the JAM!!!!!" :lol: :lol:
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Small forward body in a point guard. Yikes this kid looks impressive.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I have seen neither Brendan Adams nor Amir Harris play in person, so this opinion means little. But on tape, Harris looks like the better player to me. Once again, you can't rely solely on tape, so that's just an opinion.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodyblue12 wrote:We offered in April:

Nice player. Wiry. Looks like he can play the wing or facilitate.
That layup 50 seconds in is just filthy...

Why is he not being offered by more schools? Can he shoot? How is the competition?

I know it's just a highlight tape and I'm sure someone could make a tape of me playing in my adult league and make it look good, but this kids bounce is impressive. He has a very good handle, great size and athleticism, and has the tools to be a great defender.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Played AAU on New World in the spring, but can't find anything on him playing this summer.

In the Gauntlet Challenger pod, New World was the big winner, capturing championships in both the u17 and u16 divisions. With a line-up loaded with division I, and often mid-to-high major, caliber talent they knocked off the New York Jayhawks and Mass Rivals Select to earn the championship. 2019 guard Sherif Kenney was a man among boys throughout the weekend while big point guard Amir Harris stood out as a tremendous long-term prospect himself. Sophomore big man Karim Coulibaly anchored the team in the paint.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... -crowned-2
Amir Harris, New World – A big point guard in the making, Harris is an almost impossible match-up with his ability to see and play above opposing defenders. Combine that with his ability and willingness to play through contact and he was very impressive on Sunday.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... y-division

http://www.prepcircuit.com/roster_players/17865256
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

This kid is really really good going to the basket, staying under control with spins and kisses off the glass. Very impressive but why is there not many offers???
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Getting Amir to commit to us soon could be key to a Harris/Harris daily double......

I would take them both and worry about Adams or Doherty later.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Amir and Jermaine are not related and vaguely know of each other outside of playing in similar circuits and that they are being recruited by the same school.

Nonetheless, I think we will be closing the deal on Amir soon.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not sure what to say. Tate, Martin and Harris don't even show up on espn database. Have these guys been locked in a closet?
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

That database stopped being useful two years ago. Most (not all) Top 100 guys have write ups, not much else.
Some of PC's guys aren't listed either (Nichols, Monroe).

ESPN has cut so much budget that they probably won't pay the analysts to write the material.
They can't sell enough ads there, so the database is not kept up.
For example, If you search on all "New York" kids, you only get 5 hits. It is crap.
2 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Amir Harris- good player, smart under control guard & good athlete with good IQ, great size. Very good student was getting recruited by Ivy leg schools. Biggest weakness can't shoot it. Also, has been to 4 HS in 4 years.

Brendan Adams- scorer, combo guard, knows how to play and good size. Can put up big numbers. Needs be better defender.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Slim wrote:Amir Harris- good player, smart under control guard & good athlete with good IQ, great size. Very good student was getting recruited by Ivy leg schools. Biggest weakness can't shoot it. Also, has been to 4 HS in 4 years.

Brendan Adams- scorer, combo guard, knows how to play and good size. Can put up big numbers. Needs be better defender.
Honestly if a guard can't shoot it in today's game, they provide limited value to a team. Spacing the floor is critical for kids playing the four nowadays let alone from guards. I would pass on him if he can't shoot it but I trust Dan's vision 100% so whatever he thinks is best I agree with.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Can't shoot it????? PASSS.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

We all do realize Stan "couldn't shoot" before he got here too right?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, Magic Johnson couldn't shoot either.(No, I am not comparing Amir Harris to Magic Johnson!)
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Amir is good player. Someone asked about offers , so I was just saying shooting has been his weakness. Everything else he does is really solid. Good prospect.

Magic Johnson could shoot it. Lol
0 x