'18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Nebraska --> GW)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I still wonder why he decommit. I don't think he was worried about playing time, because he is really good, as you can see by the schools recruiting him now.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Billyboy78 wrote:I still wonder why he decommit. I don't think he was worried about playing time, because he is really good, as you can see by the schools recruiting him now.
My guess is that he had some bigger schools showing more interest after he committed and he wanted to go to a higher level. Just pure speculation on my part though.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

“Interest/hearing from” and “would they accept your commitment right now” can be very different situations. I don’t know anything specific about Amir, but we do know about recruiting. Maybe one of those schools would. Maybe they’re telling him, or any other player, let’s see how your senior year plays out and then we’ll talk for real. Who knows?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In this case I wouldn't trust the player as a source. I'd be very surprised if he ends up at one of those schools.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Totally agree Iggy
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think you are underestimating this kid's talent.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't think so. I don't see him coming to URI. Does not shoot well enough.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dan doesn’t see him ahead of Adams, Martin or Tate (potential SF). He also sees Jeff, Fatts and Thompson ahead of Amir. I believe if Adams didn’t select Rhody, Amir would have signed LOI with Rhody.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Even if Adams had not signed, I still don't think Amir would be coming.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I somehow agree with Iggy and Billyboy (and ramster), who seem to disagree. I think Iggy is right that it is unlikely that Amir ends up at Maryland. I think Billy is right that people generally haven't appreciated how good this kid is - I thought when he was committed to URI that we had unearthed a potentially solid contributor to a very good team. I think ramster is right that he is definitely not coming to URI - I think URI definitely likes him as a player and if they hadn't gotten the commitment from Adams they probably wouldn't have lost Amir's commitment and/or they would have fought to keep him in the boat, but once Adams was on board Amir became less vital to the class.

So, yeah, I think our fans dismissing this kid smells a lot like the typical fan "dodged a bullet there!" thing they do when they know a kid isn't coming to their school. On the other hand, it is probably a leap to go from under recruited, below the radar guy to actionable offer from a national program like Maryland. Lots of ground to cover in between, which is where I think he'll end up. Maybe a Temple or something like that. I bet somebody here a beer that he'd end up as a 3-star before this class's final ratings are out, and I still think that is true.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TP,
I am not dismissing the Harris at all because he did not come to URI. I was perfectly fine with the 4 players we offered and love the idea of having a Scholarship available for "later on". I always thought he was the 5th of the 5 players and a fairly distant 5th at that.
I never thought Amir had the potential to start at URI and I am surprised at the level of schools he is talking to. He read the writing on the wall at URI - or someone did
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Once everyone was on board he was the 5th best guy, and once he was the fifth best guy he decided to look elsewhere. Everyone understands that, and everyone understood it was why he decommitted at the time. Not an earth shattering take there. But before we had the 4th and 5th guys on board, he wasn't the 5th best guy. I don't know whether he would have ever been a starter at URI or not, but certainly the coaches thought he was good enough to be a contributor because they accepted his commitment knowing that they were recruiting from a position of strength and were in the midst of putting together their best class here yet.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Surprised we are even discussing him. He is not coming here.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think this dunk scared him away.

I wish Amir the best but let's move on.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good move for Harris , I think he was worried about playing time can't blame him
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote:Surprised we are even discussing him. He is not coming here.
This
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

steveystuds06 wrote:
ramster wrote:Surprised we are even discussing him. He is not coming here.
This
Agree, wish the kid all the best, but i would rather see updates on kids we are recruiting or possible juco or 5th yr grad we are trying to get for next year
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Count me among those still interested in seeing where Amir ends up. No problem at all with people posting updates on his recruitment, even if it isn't by us. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on his career the way some others kept up with Rokas Gustys, etc. It's not as if posting updates on Amir takes away from the content we see about kids we are actively recruiting.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I've specifically talked about Amir, not the other guys, because I think the scouting services have just missed him. There is a group-think mentality with these rankings sometimes and sometimes that means that guys that are a little off the radar get overlooked until they suddenly get on the radar, then all of a sudden everyone ranks them.

The evaluators have seen the other guys already - that's why they've been ranked - but I don't believe that Amir has been evaluated yet. Being part of a class like this, all of these evaluators will make it a point to review his tape and watch him this season, and I think he'll end up being ranked.

Maybe you'll be right and I'll be wrong, but I'd be glad to make a friendly wager about it.
Can we still make that friendly wager :D
I will bet Amir doesn’t become get overall 3 star rating.
Sure, if you want. I'll bet you a beer he does.
3 stars

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ris-206122
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

New video of his 2017-18. Great athlete. Great defensive player.
Not one clip of him taking a jumper.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Now that Brendan is gone, would love to get back in on Amir. Yes, no outside shots in this video, but the athletic ability, the drives and finishes and the passes. He's a talent. Check out this season's highlights.
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

He would be a good addition to the team. But the scholarship might be better spent on a
knock-down shooter with length. 6'3" + and a 5th year Senior shooter as well.
Then you would have the solution for next year and the future. Not too much to ask.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

If there's any chance to get Amir to re-commit, I'm all for it. He looks healthy and strong to me, good motor. If he seems like a good kid, who is easily coached, he'll fill in the missing pieces. He could have a good little run in a conference like the A10.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Just watched that video - Dowtin without a jumper. Sign me up!
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

UConn looking
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah video very impressive this kid is athletic and can jump and great passing ability
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I found this on Amir. It doesn’t sound like we are involved.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... his-winter
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Billyboy78 wrote:I found this on Amir. It doesn’t sound like we are involved.
Interesting that none of the schools he is talking about have extended him an offer yet. Seems like he is holding out for a P5 offer and isn't interested in non-P5 schools
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Billyboy78 wrote:I found this on Amir. It doesn’t sound like we are involved.
That story is dated February 8th, a lifetime ago in college basketball recruiting. But there's no recent evidence that we are currently involved with Amir either.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Nebraska offered today.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Because they lost Xavier Johnson...
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Committed to Nebraska
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Nebraska Commit)

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wish I knew what happened with him. I've said that on tape, I thought that he was better than Brendan Adams. Finkelstein said although he needs to develop his shot more, he is a "rare talent".
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Wish I knew what happened with him. I've said that on tape, I thought that he was better than Brendan Adams. Finkelstein said although he needs to develop his shot more, he is a "rare talent".
URI rated Adams ahead of him. Once Adams committed, Harris became their 3rd G recruit. I believe his decommit was mutual. He doesn't have an outside shot. It is easy at his height to drive to the basket in HS. Not so in D1 college. He could develop an outside shot but it is an unknown. Nebraska lost Xavier Johnson so they were looking to pick someone up.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Wish I knew what happened with him. I've said that on tape, I thought that he was better than Brendan Adams. Finkelstein said although he needs to develop his shot more, he is a "rare talent".
URI rated Adams ahead of him. Once Adams committed, Harris became their 3rd G recruit. I believe his decommit was mutual. He doesn't have an outside shot. It is easy at his height to drive to the basket in HS. Not so in D1 college. He could develop an outside shot but it is an unknown. Nebraska lost Xavier Johnson so they were looking to pick someone up.
Adams isn't a good outside shooter either.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Adams is a score first guard, Harris is passive.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome to Nebraska Amir Harris I hope you don't become a great one
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Nebraska)

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I feel like opinions this year have differed more than in past years with recruits. Will be interesting "down the line" to check how they're doing.

Gutsys was the last lightening rod.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Just checking out Nebraska and Amir Harris. Tonight they are playing Michigan State. Since the beginning of league play he’s averaging about six minutes a game, scoring about one point game, and 1.6 rebounds. Prior to league play he was averaging about 14 minutes a game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Nebraska is actually pretty good now. He's got a way to go to break that lineup.
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Just checking out Nebraska and Amir Harris. Tonight they are playing Michigan State. Since the beginning of league play he’s averaging about six minutes a game, scoring about one point game, and 1.6 rebounds. Prior to league play he was averaging about 14 minutes a game.
He Was out sick for awhile so he missed few weeks. He’s just coming back.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

“Transferring” from Nebraska.

Hoiberg basically told him he was gone, something I will never agree with in college athletics.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hoiberg really belongs in the NBA but he sucked there so now he's back in college.

Situations like this are why I'm completely OK with players having more leeway to transfer with fewer penalties
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Hoiberg really belongs in the NBA but he sucked there so now he's back in college.

Situations like this are why I'm completely OK with players having more leeway to transfer with fewer penalties
I agree with this. However, Amir did back out of his commitment to URI and Brandon Adams backed out of his signed NLOI.
Players sign/commit to Head Coaches. There should be a process where the new HC can state they aren’t renewing the player’s scholarship and that player is immediately eligible at any school they transfer to (including in conference).
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There’s technically a “run off” clause that would let players be immediately eligible at their new school, but it doesn’t seem to really be a thing that happens too much. I’m for things that give players more agency, and I differentiate between before and after guys step on campus. If they’ve handled themselves well as a student and teammate, I don’t think they should be pushed out. Coaches generally know what the roster situation is when they accept a new job.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe there should be some type of performance clause in the NLOI. I mean, if you get an academic scholarship, you need to maintain a certain GPA to continue to get it. Why should a player who isn't performing up to standards get any different treatment?
0 x