'16 Transfer PG - Frankie Hughes (Duquense)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: '16 Transfer PG - Frankie Hughes

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

giovanni wrote:" it's reasonable to believe that he would be a lesser player than Stan if he were to come here."

Why is this? Based on what? Before you get all bent out of shape and begin twisting things as negative, I really like Stan and believe he showed flashes of becoming a very good player with the ability to have a great senior season and be one of our better players. I am not knocking Stan in any way. He offers great defense , energy and many positives. But in reality , he also had some very bad games and only averaged 6 ppg, not an all league performer at this point. Hughes was going to just as good if not a better program, in a better conference and landed in a very similar conference setting and averaged 7 ppg. BTW, he is also known as a very good defensive player. I am only saying, what prevents him from not having as good or greater potential. What is that theory based on? Again if Dan is interested, he obviously thinks Hughes can be an asset.
Why did I say that? And I quote from the post you took my quote from:

"Stan was a better recruit out of high school then Hughes. Stan was also a better shooter than Hughes in college before he transferred, and we heard Stan was going to be a lockdown defender while we've heard nothing about Hughes' defense"

On what basketball court is Missouri last year a better program then Indiana when Stan was there? Stan played in the tournament at Indiana, Hughes played in two games in the SEC tournament before their coach got fired.

No, the SEC isn't better than the Big 10.

Where are you getting the info that he's a very good defensive player?

Nothing is preventing him from having potential. I literally said right before the quote you took that he could help us. But there's no reason as of now to think he'll be as good or better than Stan.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

SEC had three teams in the Elite 8, one in Final Four.
Big 10? Not one team advanced past Sweet 16.
That said, Indiana is a better program than Missouri.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Robinson's last year at Indiana, Wisconsin made the title game and Michigan State made the Final Four.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we only have one scholly available, it won't be on this guy.

We can do a lot better. And he's not a big......
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
giovanni wrote:" it's reasonable to believe that he would be a lesser player than Stan if he were to come here."

Why is this? Based on what? Before you get all bent out of shape and begin twisting things as negative, I really like Stan and believe he showed flashes of becoming a very good player with the ability to have a great senior season and be one of our better players. I am not knocking Stan in any way. He offers great defense , energy and many positives. But in reality , he also had some very bad games and only averaged 6 ppg, not an all league performer at this point. Hughes was going to just as good if not a better program, in a better conference and landed in a very similar conference setting and averaged 7 ppg. BTW, he is also known as a very good defensive player. I am only saying, what prevents him from not having as good or greater potential. What is that theory based on? Again if Dan is interested, he obviously thinks Hughes can be an asset.
Why did I say that? And I quote from the post you took my quote from:

"Stan was a better recruit out of high school then Hughes. Stan was also a better shooter than Hughes in college before he transferred, and we heard Stan was going to be a lockdown defender while we've heard nothing about Hughes' defense"

On what basketball court is Missouri last year a better program then Indiana when Stan was there? Stan played in the tournament at Indiana, Hughes played in two games in the SEC tournament before their coach got fired.

No, the SEC isn't better than the Big 10.

Where are you getting the info that he's a very good defensive player?

Nothing is preventing him from having potential. I literally said right before the quote you took that he could help us. But there's no reason as of now to think he'll be as good or better than Stan.

He originally signed with Louisville, not Missouri. He backed out, it had nothing to do with Louisville letting him go. So therefore he was recruited and would have landed at Louisville if not for their problems. SEC this year was every bit as good and I would say definitely better this year than the Big 10. And the ACC is far superior to the Big 10. Louisville was the program I was making the comparison to Indiana, not Missouri. If Toppin or Lane are willing to come and Dan thinks they are they best fit, fine, I got no issue with that. I am simply saying the kid is certainly worth a look if they can't get the 4 or 5 they would like.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

So let me understand this, if we aren't able to get a good player during the normal transfer period (450+ D1 players and growing) or the JUCOs (50-100 D1 level players), we are going to get a good player as a mid-year transfer. How many good players do you think transfer mid-year? Very few. KI was the exception not losing a semester. Most have burned a year of eligibilty. KI was fortunately granted a waiver.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

83, I have a feeling we will get a commitment after this weekend's visits. At least one.

Dan has a very good track record of closing once recruits visit.....they are on both Lane and Toppin pretty hard from what I can tell.

I will be happy with just one....but happier with Toppin.... We need a quick fix plus 4 year players right now, but given the choice I'd rather have the long termer with major upside, than the stop gap guy.
0 x