'17 Grad Transfer F Khris Lane (VCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

'17 Grad Transfer F Khris Lane (VCU)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ht: 6-6
Wt: 245 lbs
School: Longwood (Big South)

17.1 ppg
7.3 rpg

Interest
Pittsburgh
Rhode Island
Last edited by ATPTourFan 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '17 Transfer F Khris Lane 6-6 (immediately eligible)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Per Jon Rothstein, Longwood transfer Khris Lane will visit Pitt this weekend and Rhode Island next weekend. Immediately eligible for next season.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Sounds like the type of guy we could really use. Might actually be an improvement over Iverson as he is a much better three point shooter..
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'd really like more height here.
2 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

height height height
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Class of 2013 out of Richmond, he started off at Drexel. Played seven minutes his first year and transfered to Longwood.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

He's not to tall but for a 254lb man he looks more like a really big muscular dude as opposed to a flabby guy.

Here's a good Longwood highlight vid. Virtually every longwood highlight is Lane for much of the vid.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

pass
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster there must be interest there or he wouldn't be getting a visit.

I also think we could do better, there are a LOT of players available. However not too many transfers that can play immediately.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Good players come from everywhere and the staff has done a very good job of identifying good talent and kids, so I respect their view obviously. And the fact that he is visiting Pitt shows he has impressed some at the higher level. But looking at his stats, he played for a team that was 6-24 in the Big South and lost its last 17 games. Not that familiar with the Big South but I probably wouldn't compare them to the Big 12. Looking at the games he played vs anyone of note outside the conference, his stats are not very impressive. Vs GMU 11 and 6 in a 27 pt loss. Vs Creigthon 12 and 2 in a 55 pt loss. 6 and 10 vs Ball St in a 16 pt loss. Vs Texas Tech 12 and 2 in a 31 pt loss. And vs the conference champion Winthrop 14 and 6 , 9 and 5 in 20 and 18 pt losses. Not to mention we lose our only 2 proven guys with any sort of size and very valuable guys. And though he is 6-6 and apparently bulky, he is still only 6-6. With our run this year, I would hope we could attract something a little more. If we had 4 or 5 scholarships available, I wouldn't mind it at all. But with only 1 scholarship and 2 major voids inside to fill, this doesn't appear to be a wonderful answer. Unless, someone is leaving and an extra scholly or 2 become available. But the staff knows best. Perhaps flying way under the radar.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I like the "tenacious rebounder" part.... http://www.longwoodlancers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2003
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need an impact player....I don't think he fills the bill.....he might contribute but so will our other bigs......

He does have offensive skills, but not sure about the defense....there was a LOT of matador D being played in that video.

Like Gio just said we have at the current time only one spot to fill....make it a good one.

We need someone who's proven at our level or above. Except for Juiston...he's really good.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

This is a very true statement and possibly applies here:

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It looks like the Juiston recruiting will drag on so URI needs to have some Plan B's. This is Cox at work (again).
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy, he [Juiston] needs to visit....otherwise he's not a serious candidate?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Juiston seems to be holding out for bigger offers. He's already got Kansas. Who is he waiting for? Kentucky?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I disagree on immediately saying "pass" on the guy because he's 6'6". In reality, that's how tall Hassan is. If he's got long arms, he'll play up. I'd be very okay with this guy, coming in eligible immediately. Juiston is obviously Plan A, but to me this seems like a very solid Plan B.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

sf2010 wrote:I disagree on immediately saying "pass" on the guy because he's 6'6". In reality, that's how tall Hassan is. If he's got long arms, he'll play up. I'd be very okay with this guy, coming in eligible immediately. Juiston is obviously Plan A, but to me this seems like a very solid Plan B.
I agree on the size comment. I think we'd all take ARD again. Plenty of bigs out there who don't play big.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This kid wouldn't replace hass, that Langavine. Were are losing a 6'10 and 6'7 here. Height matters.
0 x
GO RAMS
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:This kid wouldn't replace hass, that Langavine. Were are losing a 6'10 and 6'7 here. Height matters.
We won't be replacing Hass with one player. Lane (if brought on board) and Langevine would be a part of that. So would Tertsea, if he can contribute at all on the defensive end. He's 6'10". There's more than one way to construct a lineup that can win basketball games - you don't need 6'pg, 6'3"sg, 6'6"sf, 6'8"pf, and 6'10"c. I'm not implying that you think that way rm05, but some here seem to think that. Complimenting skillsets are much more important than prioritizing height above all other factors, as some here seem to be doing by dismissing this Lane because he's listed at 6'6". Bonzie Colson played center for Notre Dame for long stretches this year at 6'5" - how'd they do?
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just wondering how this guy is immediately eligible as a transfer and still has 2 years of eligibility. Did he graduate in 3 years?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He'd be better than Berry probably...maybe...
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

eli#10 wrote:Just wondering how this guy is immediately eligible as a transfer and still has 2 years of eligibility. Did he graduate in 3 years?
He only has 1 year left. He's played 2 years at Longwood and 1 year at Drexel before that.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

sf2010 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:This kid wouldn't replace hass, that Langavine. Were are losing a 6'10 and 6'7 here. Height matters.
We won't be replacing Hass with one player. Lane (if brought on board) and Langevine would be a part of that. So would Tertsea, if he can contribute at all on the defensive end. He's 6'10". There's more than one way to construct a lineup that can win basketball games - you don't need 6'pg, 6'3"sg, 6'6"sf, 6'8"pf, and 6'10"c. I'm not implying that you think that way rm05, but some here seem to think that. Complimenting skill sets are much more important than prioritizing height above all other factors, as some here seem to be doing by dismissing this Lane because he's listed at 6'6". Bonzie Colson played center for Notre Dame for long stretches this year at 6'5" - how'd they do?
Point taken and Colson is honestly an anomaly at that height. My wish is to find a player with a Hass skill set at 6'10 rather than 6'7. Iverson became a huge rim protector towards the end and his height had a lot to do with it. The National Championship said it all. Both teams were enormous. If we have a good season with a shorter lineup because they are complimenting like you said, then that's great and I was wrong, I just feel more comfortable with bigger forwards. The reason I didn't mention Tertsea is because hes an unknown at this point until he sets foot on the hardwood, but yes his height does help.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Guys with Hassan's skill set at 6'10" go to Kentucky. I am glad that is what you are looking for, so is every program in America, you may want to recalibrate your expectations. We are either going to get an unfinished product at that height (ie Tertsea), or someone with a blemish like a transfer or under performer (ie Kuran).
8 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:
eli#10 wrote:Just wondering how this guy is immediately eligible as a transfer and still has 2 years of eligibility. Did he graduate in 3 years?
He only has 1 year left. He's played 2 years at Longwood and 1 year at Drexel before that.
I see he only played 4 games for Drexel. Were those games he didn't play due to injury or we're they just DNPs? Just wondering about that because if it was an injury he might have got a medical redshirt.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:
I see he only played 4 games for Drexel. Were those games he didn't play due to injury or we're they just DNPs? Just wondering about that because if it was an injury he might have got a medical redshirt.
Certainly a possibility. I didn't really research too much into it, but it does looks like he had some sort of injury at Drexel. The link below isn't the most credible source, but it does mention the possibility of petitioning for another year of eligibility when he transferred to Longwood.

Long story short, he has one year of eligibility left, possibly two if he can get a medical redshirt for his "lost" season at Drexel.

https://lancersblog.com/khris-lane-expe ... 964a19e33c
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Someone as recent as Dylan Ennis comes to mind. He got a 6th year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Murphy at Northeastern.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:Murphy at Northeastern.
Right.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote:Guys with Hassan's skill set at 6'10" go to Kentucky. I am glad that is what you are looking for, so is every program in America, you may want to recalibrate your expectations. We are either going to get an unfinished product at that height (ie Tertsea), or someone with a blemish like a transfer or under performer (ie Kuran).
Okay agreed,

But what's wrong with holding this program to a higher (not quite kentucky) level?
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't know the medical waiver rules, he clearly didn't reach the threshold for games played, but does it matter when you play the games? He played 12/18, 1/3, 2/8 and 2/26 that season at Drexel.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They need someone to replace KI. Lane is mentioned as a stretch 4. Would you rather have Akele or Lane at the 4? My thought is they need a better rebounder than Lane. The other possible 4 on the roster that could see playing time is Berry IMO.

Rhody needs to free up another scholarship this year. Time for Dan to sit down with Thompson.
Last edited by Rhody83 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't know the medical waiver rules, he clearly didn't reach the threshold for games played, but does it matter when you play the games? He played 12/18, 1/3, 2/8 and 2/26 that season at Drexel.
Yes, I think you can't play in a game either after a specific date, or after a certain percentage of games have been played. It's why we were all so pissed off when Jerry Duh brought back Brian Woodward late in the year after missing most of the season instead of red-shirting him.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't know the medical waiver rules, he clearly didn't reach the threshold for games played, but does it matter when you play the games? He played 12/18, 1/3, 2/8 and 2/26 that season at Drexel.
My understanding on a 6th year is that you are only supposed to get it if you are forced to sit out a year for circumstances out of your control. Technically per the rules, they make it sound like sitting a year due to transfer is considered circumstances you can control and not a reason to get a 6th season.

That said, I also read somewhere else that the NCAA has made exceptions to that, typically in situations where a guy first loses a year of eligibility due to sitting for transfer and then suffering the injury, since it would have been impossible for said player to know they would later lose another season due to injury. That was the route that both Ennis (Rice to Villanova and injury in grad year) and Murphy (transferred from Duke to Florida and was injured senior year) followed.

Opposite of that, I don't think anyone has found success suffering a tough injury, and then later transferring and losing another season, and then winning a 6th year of eligibility, since they willingly sat out that 2nd year.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhody83 wrote:They need someone to replace KI. Lane is mentioned as a stretch 4. Would you rather have Akele or Lane at the 4? My thought is they need a better rebounder than Lane. The other possible 4 on the roster that could see playing time is Berry IMO.

Rhody needs to free up another scholarship this year. Time for Dan to sit down with Thompson.
Two points:

1) Lane doesn't seem like a slouch on the boards - didn't see a minute of Longwood basketball this year (I'd be shocked/impressed if any among us had), but he averaged 7.3 boards and had 7 games with double figures. Of course rebounding in the Big South is different than in the A10, but it doesn't seem like he'd be completely overmatched.

2) I would not be okay with the coach running Thompson off the team, nor do I ever think that would happen. If Christion decides to transfer it must be his decision, and would likely be out of a desire to see a more featured role in a lower conference. If he decides that, best of luck to him and I hope he turns into the next Jarelle Reischel. But if a kid is recruited here, does everything he's supposed to do from a work ethic / good team mate perspective, but just doesn't develop into a consistent rotation player, he should not be run off. But again, I'd be shocked if Dan ever did that to a player.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We are going to just say "pass" on a kid that averaged 17 a game and put up 30 multiple occasions? Would any players on our current frontcourt do what Lane did last year? I would love to land this kid.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

It's amazing how highly you guys rate Highschoolers as freshmen in the A10. Maybe Juiston would be better but there's a 98% chance this guy is better than any HS player we could bring in for next year. If Ln wants to come to URI I think Dan would be very unlikely to turn him down.

He is an Iverson replacement who likes to play around the 3 point line. 34% from 3, 38% year before that. In those videos he looks pretty good slashing and scoring near the hoop. Looks exactly like a Hurley type of player.

Get Lane and we suddenly have replaced one of our two losses with a guy whos likely to be a pretty much equivalent player.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: '17 Grad Transfer F Khris Lane

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

No way should we want Thompson gone.
At some points this year he was playing better than EC and at Stans level.
I think he may have had a finger injury at the end of the year. I remember seeing him bandaged in the tournament.
He will be starter here with Russell and Dowtin his senior year. I think he's better than most people think.
Same with Akele, he could be much improved next year as he continues to grow into his body.
If CT transfers he waits two years to play, or he can play a little bit next year and probably start in 18/19 on teams that will definitely battle for NCAA tournament bids.
If anyone will transfer I imagine it will be Berry.
Fan favorite, but if we pick up Kanter or Lane, I'd rather us give playing time to the Mike's so they can developed instead of throwing Berry in there. Love Andre, and I'm sure he loves it here, but he could go somewhere and make a much bigger difference than he could here.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Berry Just finished his Jr year. It is very rare for a Jr to transfer that had to sit a year = Berry.
Your comment that Thompson has to wait two years to play if he transfers makes no sense. He sits one year just like he will on the Rhody bench next year. The difference is if he transfers he gets to play two years after that. If he stays he plays one year (his Sr year).

Find me a real game this year where Thompson scored 10 points. To say he was playing better than EC and Stan is a joke.

I don't think Dan or any other coach would force/pressure a player to transfer. They sit with them after the season and give them a realistic view of their chance of playing time next year. Most kids want to play. This happens all the time. That is why there are 600+ transfers every year.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's also no guarantee that CT even plays that much his senior year. Depends on who is brought in this year and next. If we start getting an even higher level of player, they could be playing the bulk of the minutes instead.

My guess is he leaves.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:Berry Just finished his Jr year. It is very rare for a Jr to transfer that had to sit a year = Berry.
Your comment that Thompson has to wait two years to play if he transfers makes no sense. He sits one year just like he will kon the Rhody bench next year. The difference is if he transfers he gets to play two years after that. If he stays he plays one year (his Sr year).

Find me a real game this year where Thompson scored 10 points. To say he was playing better than EC and Stan is a joke.

I don't think Dan or any other coach would force/pressure a player to transfer. They sit with them after the season and give them a realistic view of their chance of playing time next year. Most kids want to play. This happens all the time. That is why there are 600+ transfers every year.
Now it's over 700 per year
351 D1 teams so it's 2 transfers per team per year on average
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yeah CT had a bad year.. There was no point at all this year where he played better than EC or Stan... People may be thinking about the year before where he showed some flashes like against PC at home. Bottom line is we have recruited over him. If we want to be the best A10 team for years to come I don't think CT will be starting any year.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Thompson is very close with many of his teammates, especially EC. I'll be surprised if he transfers.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I hope we do not lose anybody to transfer. Thompson is surely an A-10 level player. We already have one open scholarship we just need to make good use of it and the players we already have in the program. There are advantages to continuity in a college basketball program. I would not even mind if Thompson and the staff mutually agreed on a red shirt next year.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thompson does seem very close to several teammates. I could see him staying because of that.
Can a player just select to redshirt any year? I thought the only redshirt for an upperclassman would be a medical redshirt which has to be approved by the NCAA.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Any year can be a redshirt as long as you don't play. You just don't see it after the first year outside of transferring or injury
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not a bad idea for Thompson then. He could start at the 3 for two years after JT graduates. Spend the off year improving his outside shot.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The kid avg 17 and 7 at a low mid major which means he must be decent

I hope we get him
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

If that 17 and 7, translates to 12 and 6, then KI has been replaced, although he doesn't look as good defensively as KI.
1 x