'17 Grad Transfer F Khris Lane (VCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Re: '17 Grad Transfer F Khris Lane

Unread post by 860_rhody »

bigappleram wrote:The list of suitors would indicate the kid can play some.
I don't think so at all. We're the best of that bunch. I think he'd do very well here though.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Don't like the fact that we are his first visit out of 5.......lots of chances to be swayed down the line......

Not that I don't want him, but doubtful he comes here imo.

Toppin has first dibs...if he's blown away by his visit here and commits real soon, then Lane is likely out.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Lane already visited Pitt
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Oh, OK....2nd out of 5......thanks I stand corrected.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

860_rhody wrote:
I don't think so at all. We're the best of that bunch. I think he'd do very well here though.
Based on last season's results and prognosis for next year yes. Based on perceived program strength - sorry VCU, Pitt and Wake all carry more weight than URI.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, have we determined yet if Lane and Toppin will be visiting at the same time?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

78, Toppin was at URI today....Lane tomorrow.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:78, Toppin was at URI today....Lane tomorrow.
But, if they're both officials, they would seem to overlap.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Because an official can be 48 hours.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah that happens.....Don't know if either or both are here for 1 day or 2......

If Toppin stays tonight he and Lane could see court time together.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah that happens.....Don't know if either or both are here for 1 day or 2......

If Toppin stays tonight he and Lane could see court time together.
That was my thought.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would guess Toppin is here for 2, but Lane could be just one.....Sunday being Easter......

Probably won't know much about either's visit until Monday at least.....would love to see a Toppin LOI by mid week.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

bigappleram wrote:
860_rhody wrote:
Based on last season's results and prognosis for next year yes. Based on perceived program strength - sorry VCU, Pitt and Wake all carry more weight than URI.
Maybe. They may have more name recognition (because of players like CP3 and Duncan), but only a very stupid GT big would pick a school like Pitt/Wake ahead of URI given the current circumstances. I feel really good about this guy coming here.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wake is in the ACC......so is Pitt....I would pick Wake ahead of them....and VCU, only 7 straight NCAAT appearances.

No, we're not in their class just yet. Facilities wise, definitely not yet.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Pitt is in rebuild mode. Not what a 5th-year senior is looking for.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

VCU might be the favorite though. Close to home, and they will need a couple guys to plug some holes with players graduating and recruit losses due to the coaching change.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So if we can only have one do we want Lane or Toppin ??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:Don't like the fact that we are his first visit out of 5.......lots of chances to be swayed down the line......
We've seen pretty often that recruits will stop the process and commit if they feel really good about a place. It's not ideal if you're early and the recruit finishes the process, but with Dan and the staff's ability to close once a recruit gets on campus I like us early.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote:So if we can only have one do we want Lane or Toppin ??
Toppin .... higher upside, plus you get him for 4 years.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Dunno if anyone else watched Longwoods highlights on youtube but I was shocked we were even looking at d1 ball. I'd guess Longwoods was one of the absolute worse teams in the nation.

Like my father used to say when I recited Zach Marburys or Tavoris Bells stats "somebody's got to score and grab a few rebounds".

If Lane played at even say a crappy MAAC school I would feel a lot better about him.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I'll take the player with interest from VCU, Wake and Pitt over the one with offers from UMES and Siena.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reckless jake
ARD

According to a report in the blog "Virginia Basketball" Khris Lane will be cutting his list to 3 schools, possibly tomorrow.

Their speculation is his final three schools are Pitt, Wake and VCU. He will visit VCU this weekend and Wake on the 24th.
Last edited by reckless jake 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Don't get Pitt
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I hate the post-elimination justifying that fans do, but honestly I'm not really excited about the idea of a grad transfer this year, in general, considering our roster construction. If he doesn't end up at URI it won't be devastating to me.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

TruePoint wrote:I hate the post-elimination justifying that fans do, but honestly I'm not really excited about the idea of a grad transfer this year, in general, considering our roster construction. If he doesn't end up at URI it won't be devastating to me.
I could not agree with you more on this....we do not need to be in a position where we need to bring in 6 new people next year. The fact that we will have to replace 5 will be trying enough especially given the quality that will be leaving. We need to get more balance in our classes.
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:I hate the post-elimination justifying that fans do, but honestly I'm not really excited about the idea of a grad transfer this year, in general, considering our roster construction. If he doesn't end up at URI it won't be devastating to me.
This from the report on Hurley's alum get-together: Solidifying an elite 4 is the top priority right now. Looking for an immediate impact player....likely not a freshman.

And Koch reported months ago that the last scholarship would likely go to a transfer.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Just because we'll have 5 scholarships available at the end of next season doesn't mean we'll have to use all 5 scholarships. We could choose to hold one in hand... I don't see us signing 4 guards in one class, especially when we'll still have 3 on the roster
Last edited by reckless jake 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote:
This from the report on Hurley's alum get-together: Solidifying an elite 4 is the top priority right now. Looking for an immediate impact player....likely not a freshman.

And Koch reported months ago that the last scholarship would likely go to a transfer.
I think an impact juco would be ideal.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Bozello says it's between Pitt and VCU
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Schedules a trip to WF and then eliminates them. Interesting.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is it possible that Lane eliminated us because the staff told him that we're still in on Juiston?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Schedules a trip to WF and then eliminates them. Interesting.
he is not taking the trip now
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Like I said last week I would not mind him but the fact he played on one of the worse programs on the nation against one of the worse schedule's in he nation gives me serious pause. Everyone should go watch those Longwood vids I posted on page one nd you'll see how far removed the competition level is from what he would face at URI.

He could be good .But it's like bringing a kid up from the low minors and expecting him to suddenly contribute at AAA.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

EGram wrote:Like I said last week I would not mind him but the fact he played on one of the worse programs on the nation against one of the worse schedule's in he nation gives me serious pause. Everyone should go watch those Longwood vids I posted on page one nd you'll see how far removed the competition level is from what he would face at URI.

He could be good .But it's like bringing a kid up from the low minors and expecting him to suddenly contribute at AAA.
Workouts during visits can answer some of those questions.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jon Rothstein on Twitter:

Longwood grad transfer Khris Lane tells me he will no longer visit Wake Forest. Plans to decide between VCU and Pitt in the next week.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Scratch another one off the list......but of course if the staff thinks we can do better, I'm OK with that, for now.
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

We heard this morning that Lane dropped us from his list. The consensus opinion is that he's probably going to announce for VCU sometime during the next week.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be fun to watch Cyril eat this kids lunch
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Scratch another one off the list......but of course if the staff thinks we can do better, I'm OK with that, for now.
I said pass from the beginning, so good news to me. Bigger and better fish in the sea. Players still being announced as leaving schools.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jeff Goodman
Longwood grad transfer Khris Lane told ESPN he will play next season at VCU.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

No surprise he committed to VCU. I just hope it works out for him, and for us. I'm hoping we've got something we're working on.

But I'm not sure there are bigger & better fish left in the sea that can step right in and play PF for us at this point.
Last edited by reckless jake 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We beat VCU twice in a week , win the conference , go further than VCU in the tourney, keep OUR coach and still get beat out for recruits??
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:We beat VCU twice in a week , win the conference , go further than VCU in the tourney, keep OUR coach and still get beat out for recruits??
Not good.

Didn't like this player anyway......
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:We beat VCU twice in a week , win the conference , go further than VCU in the tourney, keep OUR coach and still get beat out for recruits??
We did not get beat out here. Word is after seeing him with our players he wasn't going to be much of a contributor.
reckless jake wrote:No surprise he committed to VCU. I just hope it works out for him, and for us. I'm hoping we've got something we're working on.

But I'm not sure there are bigger & better fish left in the sea that can step right in and play PF for us at this point.
We do.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Dre3000 wrote:
We did not get beat out here. Word is after seeing him with our players he wasn't going to be much of a contributor.
reckless jake wrote:No surprise he committed to VCU. I just hope it works out for him, and for us. I'm hoping we've got something we're working on.

We do.
Who?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:

We do.
Who?
Yeah, what's the secret?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All in due time, guys. After their visits, it became clear than Lane wasn't good enough, and Toppin isn't ready to contribute right away.

We already have 2 of those [ML and MT] and we don't need another right now.....the staff is heavily leaning toward getting a grad transfer who can help right away.....

If that's an indictment of those 2, then so be it. Our frontcourt needs help if we're going anywhere next season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Glad he is not here. Never wanted him. VCUs "gain" is not necessarily our loss
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Glad he is at VCU so we can make him look foolish