'17 JUCO PF - Shakur Juiston (UNLV)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
reckless jake
ARD

Re: '17 JUCO PF - Shakur Juiston (Offer)

Unread post by reckless jake »

That 18/19 team will have a core group of Langevine, Dowtin, Russell, Akele and Thompson, with Layssard and Tertsea off the bench. If Langevine and Dowtin continue to improve, and Russell is as good as he projects, that's a solid group playing with Juiston.

Then throw in a few recruits, say Cole Swider, Malik Martin and Penny Gebrewhit and it looks like a roster capable of challenging for an A10 title.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The boat guy doesn't know much about our players.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We're getting more info from Iowa State people than our own.......
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

theblueram wrote:
bostonwhaler wrote:
theblueram wrote:How different will it be 2 years from now? Langevine will be a junior, Dowtin will be a junior, Thompson and Akele will be seniors, Russell will be a sophmore and Juiston will be a senior. Who knows about Layssard and Tertsea. Plus, we should have a big class coming in next year.
None of those players project to be as good as Hassan, EC, or JT, and Juiston is likely to not know most of these names. All are talented and have potential but would be classified as "unproven" to an outsider.
Two of those players started on an NCAAT team. As freshmen.
Yeah AND they played great. But they don't project as good as bla bla bla.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reckless jake
ARD

If Juiston was considering PC is there any doubt that Kevin McNamara would be all over this story
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Again, no one can say much until a visit is scheduled, and even then not much.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

True Bone, but some posters are just not genuine.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This is always an interesting and fun time of year when it comes to recruiting, but I'd feel better if we already had that one piece we need to really separate ourselves from the A10 pack next season....the importance of getting an impact big cannot be overstated.....

Without one, we are still going to contend obviously, but if we want to build on last season's success, this is a necessity imo.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm sorry I'm just baffled right now... Jeff Dowtin and Cyril Langevine don't project to be as good? Well, if Shakur watched the NCAA tournament he probably saw Jeff Dowtin score 23 pts and Cyril basically get a double double against a final four team. Oh, and by the way they did that as FRESHMEN
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dowtin and Cyril are going to be DAMN good......they are already pretty good and will only improve.....who can question that?

The only question facing us at this time, is who are we going to add to them, and how good will THEY be?

We will have a good core...but we need several more GOOD additions if we want to stay at a high level.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Dowtin and Cyril are going to be DAMN good......they are already pretty good and will only improve.....who can question that?

The only question facing us at this time, is who are we going to add to them, and how good will THEY be?

We will have a good core...but we need several more GOOD additions if we want to stay at a high level.
Step 1 is landing Shakur. Actually step 1 is to get a freaking visit.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah make it happen Shakur !!

I want my 300-1 still to be there when he signs
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Dowtin and Cyril are going to be DAMN good......they are already pretty good and will only improve.....who can question that?

Bone, next year we need 1 player. 18 we need multiple players.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I was talking about for 2018 and beyond......we know what we need for next season...if we get a juco like Shakur he will be around for that 2018 season.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And 2018 seems like we are in on some 4 star players. Land two of them and this thing keeps rolling.
0 x
bostonwhaler
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by bostonwhaler »

blue ram, there's no way to address any of this without coming off as petty. If you can't see what I was saying, then that's fine.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bostonwhaler wrote:blue ram, there's no way to address any of this without coming off as petty. If you can't see what I was saying, then that's fine.
friar town.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:And 2018 seems like we are in on some 4 star players. Land two of them and this thing keeps rolling.
Would be nice if we could get some early verbals....then sign in November.....it does look like we'll be involved with many 2018's.....we have to be.

The Expressions Elite pipeline is open for business.....let's hope it pays off.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think we should take Shakur if he comes, otherwise hold the scholarship for a midseason transfer.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Elijah Cain posted a couple of pics of Shakur Juiston in a DePaul uni a couple of hours ago. DePaul must've held a photo op session. Doesn't mean anything I know, just sharing what little info is found.

Pics are at: @EazyCain1
Last edited by reckless jake 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote:I think we should take Shakur if he comes, otherwise hold the scholarship for a midseason transfer.
Rhodylaw there aren't midseason transfers. KI was rare. KI got an exception otherwise he would've sat another semster and only had 1 1/2 years of elibility. Players transfer to start the year. Your logic that if Rhody can't get a quality player when there are 700 available, they will get a quality transfer when there are a handful available (and that player can start playing in Jan 2019) is flawed.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He visited DePaul on Monday. That picture was taken today (Thursday). I'm thinking that's not a good sign for us.
0 x
CloneFan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by CloneFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
That's a tweet from Eli Cain... one of Juiston's best friends. Shakur is back at Hutch and Alex Halsted (247 Iowa State reporter with great reliability) has now said that some feel DePaul "could become a real player" and "could have a shot." He's also heard that he may take one more visit buts it's TBD. Not trying to get your hopes up but just simply filling you in. Halsted also said he's tried contacting and getting info from his JUCO coach but all his coach gave Alex was that he was back at Hutch. Lots of unknown in this whole situation right now. Just a waiting game to see what's next. I know it's not much but figured I'd fill you in from or fanbase's perspective and insight that we've been given.
Last edited by CloneFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get Shakur out of that DePaul jersey and put him in a uni that says Rhode Island
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

"Might take one more visit" does not sound very promising.....I wonder if the staff is moving on from this and focusing more on others right now....still no visits scheduled from anybody for next season....is Toppin still in play? Or wasn't he good enough when he visited here?

I hope we don't end up settling for 2nd or 3rd choices....but unless we hear otherwise, that's the way it could be headed.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Hardest part with Juiston is how clamped down he keeps his recruiting process. Not tweeting heavily about it, no "Top 3" like a lot of other recruits usually have. Good for him keeping this close to his chest but it's gonna drive every fanbase following him up a wall.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think either we're out, or a very long shot now......there is nothing going on to support the thought of him even visiting right now....just talk with no basis in fact....I'm guessing the staff is moving on from this like I said.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I don't think we are out I think he just doesn't give people any indication on where he is leaning. We have no idea if he is planning on visiting, but the fact is he hasn't said he has a final list or that we are out. Until that happens I'm staying positive and hoping we land that visit.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The fat lady is clearing her throat here, lets move on..6 pages later.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hard to stay positive when he put on another teams jersey, posed for pictures, and then those pictures got posted....
1 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

People on the Iowa St. board say Juiston is committing to DePaul either this weekend or early next week. They say it's pretty much a done deal. His best friend and their former AAU coach are there. Funny how they weren't even in his final 9 and came in last minute. It's not like they're a good program right now. Oh well, sucks that we couldn't even get a visit.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:People on the Iowa St. board say Juiston is committing to DePaul either this weekend or early next week. They say it's pretty much a done deal. His best friend and their former AAU coach are there. Funny how they weren't even in his final 9 and came in last minute. It's not like they're a good program right now. Oh well, sucks that we couldn't even get a visit.
Although now some are saying they're not so sure. They're probably just guessing like we are.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

No word from Ace on any of this?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:I think we should take Shakur if he comes, otherwise hold the scholarship for a midseason transfer.
Rhodylaw there aren't midseason transfers. KI was rare. KI got an exception otherwise he would've sat another semster and only had 1 1/2 years of elibility. Players transfer to start the year. Your logic that if Rhody can't get a quality player when there are 700 available, they will get a quality transfer when there are a handful available (and that player can start playing in Jan 2019) is flawed.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nsfer-list
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Just because some guys do transfer at midseason does not change the fact depending on finding a decent player that way is crazy risky at best.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Every year there are surprise guys like KI that end up in that list. Only teams with open scholarships mod-season can accept them. Ask yourself this, are you confident KI comes to rhody if he transfers after the season when basically every team in the country probably has an open scholarship? We got KI because he wanted to leave, and we had the best available open scholarship.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

EGram wrote:Just because some guys do transfer at midseason does not change the fact depending on finding a decent player that way is crazy risky at best.
Is it any riskier than giving a scholarship to a guy you would prefer not to and hoping they develop more than you think they will?

I don't think anyone is saying leave it open no matter what so you can get a mid year transfer. But I'd rather leave the scholarship open and have a chance at getting a better player mid year rather than signing someone now so you can say you have all your scholarships filled
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
EGram wrote:Just because some guys do transfer at midseason does not change the fact depending on finding a decent player that way is crazy risky at best.
Is it any riskier than giving a scholarship to a guy you would prefer not to and hoping they develop more than you think they will?

I don't think anyone is saying leave it open no matter what so you can get a mid year transfer. But I'd rather leave the scholarship open and have a chance at getting a better player mid year rather than signing someone now so you can say you have all your scholarships filled
Amen to that
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am very pessimistic about us signing Shakur after reading all this poop here
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I honestly think we are no longer on the radar with him......not sure we are even recruiting him anymore.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If true = extreme fail....

My thoughts are hold the scolly, or off to Eastern Europe for a young Euro big. Not super impressed with the other options we've seen.

Need to start closing on some high end NE talent.

Looks like we could be bubble team again next season.

Rabbit out of hat needed or pray last years recruits and Berry take off....

Rhody hoops, always on the edge. Soooo close.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who knows if we're still in or if we're out? We couldn't have scheduled a visit this weekend because Dan is recruiting at the EYBL in Virginia. This recruitment has been kept so quiet, nobody seems to know what's going on. Until I hear that he's committed elsewhere, I'm going to believe we still have a shot.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

I agree with this in terms of getting a guy like Toppin who is probably a bit of a gamble and most likely won't have an impact next year. Overall though I really don't think we can be too picky. As of right now we might only have two serviceable big men for next year, of course the coaching staff are the only ones who really know how good/bad our current frontcourt situation is. If we do in fact only have Akele and Langevine to rely on at this point then I'd rather see us go with a grad transfer of Earl's level senior year, 19 minutes, 5 points, 5 rebounds, than take a chance keeping the scholarship open for a mid season transfer.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

"Need to start closing on some high end NE talent."

That would be nice. NE has arguably the best prep school basketball in the nation and also excellent AAU and overall talent. Here in RI, we have had some high level athletes, Colson, Duke, Murphy's, Swider, Kimari Lawrence. Have we ever been seriously involved with any NE associated players besides JT? And Garrett played at ND prep, though from Wisconsin. But they were both when Preston was around. Great players from everywhere, mid atlantic, mid west obviously NY/NJ area, but it would be nice to see more of a connection with some of these local programs too. Everyone always mention having players in your own backyard, well NE is pretty much a back yard, not to mention the players from RI, that we can't seem to get involved with.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:"Need to start closing on some high end NE talent."

That would be nice. NE has arguably the best prep school basketball in the nation and also excellent AAU and overall talent. Here in RI, we have had some high level athletes, Colson, Duke, Murphy's, Swider, Kimari Lawrence. Have we ever been seriously involved with any NE associated players besides JT? And Garrett played at ND prep, though from Wisconsin. But they were both when Preston was around. Great players from everywhere, mid atlantic, mid west obviously NY/NJ area, but it would be nice to see more of a connection with some of these local programs too. Everyone always mention having players in your own backyard, well NE is pretty much a back yard, not to mention the players from RI, that we can't seem to get involved with.
We're involved with some Expressions kids now that Ty is here. I wish we could get a serious look from some BABC kids though.
1 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

I don't think we are necessarily out of the running for Juiston. Admittedly I have a bias on this topic and observation , but it does not make sense to me that he would choose DePaul. And this has nothing against DePaul. He has two years of eligibility and with either the Cyclones or with the Rams he as a good chance of dancing twice and with us he is guaranteed playing time immediately. With DePaul the chances are very slim ,if possible at all ,that he would ever get to dance . What am I missing here ?????
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodekill wrote:I don't think we are necessarily out of the running for Juiston. Admittedly I have a bias on this topic and observation , but it does not make sense to me that he would choose DePaul. And this has nothing against DePaul. He has two years of eligibility and with either the Cyclones or with the Rams he as a good chance of dancing twice and with us he is guaranteed playing time immediately. With DePaul the chances are very slim ,if possible at all ,that he would ever get to dance . What am I missing here ?????
Well he has friends there.
Being with them can be more important than dancing.
He also may want to be the star on that team.
Which would be easier than here or Iowa state.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have a feeling Shakur will be a DE Paul Blue Demon
0 x